Options

Chicago Cubs baseball!!!

Comments

• Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    Ricketts family making another run at getting support to renovate Wrigley. They are willing to invest $300 million of their own money but want to get some of the landmark restrictions that are on the park waived.

Going to be an interesting battle to see what they will be able to change. The park definitely needs serious updating but I hope they do not kill its character in the process.
  • Options
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    Ricketts family making another run at getting support to renovate Wrigley. They are willing to invest $300 million of their own money but want to get some of the landmark restrictions that are on the park waived.

Going to be an interesting battle to see what they will be able to change. The park definitely needs serious updating but I hope they do not kill its character in the process.
    Dont you think it would be best to just knock it down and start from scratch?
    They can build a duplicate, so to say, that you wouldnt have to worry about bricks falling on your head.

:lol::lol::lol:
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    PJ-Cubs wrote:

They can build a duplicate, so to say, that you wouldnt have to worry about bricks falling on your head.

Remove the marquee and scoreboard and keep the outfield bricks and ivy. Then tear the park down and rebuild and add that stuff back on.
  • Options
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    PJ-Cubs wrote:

Remove the marquee and scoreboard and keep the outfield bricks and ivy. Then tear the park down and rebuild and add that stuff back on.
    Why keep the old bricks?
    New bricks, covered by new Ivy, will look just as nice.
    Tear the whole damned thing down.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Why keep the old bricks?
    New bricks, covered by new Ivy, will look just as nice.
    Tear the whole damned thing down.

To me the most important thing is that they maintain the character of the park and not change the atmosphere of games too much (except for the losing part). If they can tear down the whole park and rebuild it with something new that does this, I am happy.

Every year, we go to game at Miller Field, and while the park is great with nice amenities, the game atmosphere is not what I want at a ballgame. There is always some loud distraction on the jumbotron (highlight videos set to music, trivia contents, promotions from advertisers), fireworks, dancing girls on the dugouts, etc. I do not need to be entertained every second that I am at a game. For me, just being outside at a ballpark to see a game on a nice summer day is enough.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,524
    buster olney ranks the cubs as having the #5 best all time starting rotation

in 1907 :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    I ran into Bob Brenly at the gas station this morning. He's a lot taller than I assumed.
    Anyways I told him that he'd be missed doing Cubs games, and then I asked him how he thought the Cubs would do this year. He smiled and said "pretty much the same".

Not good! :fp:
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    mca47 wrote:
    I ran into Bob Brenly at the gas station this morning. He's a lot taller than I assumed.
    Anyways I told him that he'd be missed doing Cubs games, and then I asked him how he thought the Cubs would do this year. He smiled and said "pretty much the same".

that's pretty cool. i'd chill with bob.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    mca47 wrote:

:lol:
  • Options
    cubBEE_girlcubBEE_girl Waiting for next year... Posts: 3,365
    mca47 wrote:

:fp: :cry:

I'm going to miss Bob.
    I lost a bet...
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:

I'm going to miss Bob.

Me too! He was one of the best announcers in baseball IMO.
    He was super cool...I wish I could have sat down over a couple of beers and just talked baseball with him.

One thing that did shock me. He purchased a news paper and a coffee. C'mon Bob...you make/made good money and you drink gas station coffee? :lol:
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

I'm going to miss Bob.

Me too! He was one of the best announcers in baseball IMO.
    He was super cool...I wish I could have sat down over a couple of beers and just talked baseball with him.

One thing that did shock me. He purchased a news paper and a coffee. C'mon Bob...you make/made good money and you drink gas station coffee? :lol:

I appreciated that he wouldn't sugarcoat anything...he'd call them out for their crappy playing or dumb moves, but would also be very supportive. And he would provide insightful analysis. yeah, he was a great announcer. Yep, gonna miss listening to him. :(
    I lost a bet...
  • Options
    I went to a university sponsored free lecture tonight by Washington Post columnist George Will. He is not my political cup of tea, but he spent quite a bit of time talking about baseball. Apparently, having grown up in Illinois he is a big Cubs fan and has been since he was 7, 64 years ago. At one point he said the last time the Cubs won the World Series was 1908, noting that that was 2 years before Tolstoy died. Biggest laugh of the night. :lol::lol: Sorry Cubs fans ;)
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    stopped at the store last night.....saw some dude checking out hte cubs gear....i had to bite my lip about throwing money down the drain.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Wma31394 wrote:
    Yup...and out of a job too.
    Way to go Gracie! :fp:
  • Options
    Wma31394 wrote:

:( Boy, did I have a crush on Gracie back in the day. Hopefully, he can get his shit together now.
    I lost a bet...
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    stopped at the store last night.....saw some dude checking out hte cubs gear....i had to bite my lip about throwing money down the drain.

I saw a kid with a Florida Panthers yarmulke one time :lol:
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Wma31394 wrote:

:( Boy, did I have a crush on Gracie back in the day. Hopefully, he can get his shit together now.

I am sure he will in jail...literally...and physically... :o:o

:lol::lol: Yea from what I hear arizona is not the state to be drinking and driving..
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    81 wrote:

yarma what?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:

yarma what?

9090865-large.jpg
  • Options
    I read today that Colin Kaepernick was drafted by the Cubs in the 2009 draft (43rd round).

He decided not to sign with the team to focus on football.

I wonder how that decision is working out for him. :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    Does baseball actually get played at Wrigley or is it just a myth?
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    DURP wrote:

:lol:
  • Options
    51 days 23 hours 56 minutes until Opening Day, but who's counting...
    I lost a bet...
  • Options
    DURP wrote:

mostly by the visitors.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    51 days 23 hours 56 minutes until the Cubs are eliminated from playoff contention, but who's counting...

fixed that right up for you.
  • Options
    davidtrios wrote:
    51 days 23 hours 56 minutes until the Cubs are eliminated from playoff contention, but who's counting...

:lol::lol:
  • Options
    davidtrios wrote:

:nono:

Out of here, mister!! :evil:
    I lost a bet...
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    DURP wrote:

mostly by the visitors.

:nono:

You two, out of here!!! :evil:
    I lost a bet...