Chicago Cubs baseball!!!

Comments

• :lol:
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    Scott Hairston signed by the Cubs today. He is not going to save the team or anything but if he repeats his 20 HRs from last year, he could be an interesting signing (or trade bait).

This also signals the likely end of Tony Campana's days with the Cubs. I always like his energy and how he could create runs almost by himself with his speed.
  • Season is almost here. :D

I am a returning fan of the Cubs. I was a major fan as a child (late '90's, early '00's, saw a game as a child, but then I totally fell off from the Cubs. I kept track of their wins and losses, but I stopped watching games completely. But ever since 2010 I have been slowly coming back.

I missed it. I can't believe I even left it. I feel ashamed. lol.

I'll most likely see them play Cincinnati in May when I go visit my brother.

Cubs forever!!
    ~Carter~

You can spend your time alone, redigesting past regrets, oh
    or you can come to terms and realize
    you're the only one who can't forgive yourself, oh
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense
    - Present Tense
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,248
    Can't wait for spring training! Soooo much fun!
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i so do look forward to spring training and the hope that springs eternal for all 30 teams. perhaps one day, my team can seize the moment and deliver a team for the ages.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,445
    81 wrote:
    i so do look forward to spring training and the hope that springs eternal for all 30 teams. perhaps one day, my team can seize the moment and deliver a team for the ages.

yeah, right :roll:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    81 wrote:

Are you talking about the Cubs or your Pirates
    As much as I hate to say it, this article made me laugh a few years back and is probably appropriate for the start of Cubs Spring Training

http://www.theonion.com/articles/chicag ... ain,19870/
  • cubBEE_girlcubBEE_girl Waiting for next year... Posts: 3,365
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    As much as I hate to say it, this article made me laugh a few years back and is probably appropriate for the start of Cubs Spring Training

http://www.theonion.com/articles/chicag ... ain,19870/

My friend emailed this one to me the other day.... :-|

http://www.theonion.com/articles/cubs-a ... ne:default
    I lost a bet...
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    81 wrote:

Thank you for asking. I was referring to my beloved Pirates.

Best of luck to your cubs this year.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    ASTROS

HEY HO!
    Let's Go!

Cubs vs the Astros would be my holy grail.

I wouldn't care who won
    81 wrote:
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    81 wrote:

going out on a limb....the buccos will win it all before the cubs do :shock:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    STAYSEA wrote:
    ASTROS

HEY HO!
    Let's Go!

I wouldn't care who won

that could be a veeeeeeeeery long wait :shh:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    imalive wrote:
    STAYSEA wrote:
    ASTROS

HEY HO!
    Let's Go!

I wouldn't care who won

that could be a veeeeeeeeery long wait :shh:

I WILL wait!!!!!

But you are right.... never gonna happen..

Still a dream game!
    81 wrote:
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    81 wrote:

I don't think either of us will be trying to buy playoff tickets this year. The Reds will take the Central and neither the Cubs nor the Pirates are good enough for a wild card spot. Unfortunately, I think the Cubs will be in last place in the division with the Astros moving on.

But 2015, that's gonna be our year. :)
    Matt Garza to have MRI.

Cubs potentially leaving WGN after 2014 season.

A great day for Cubs news today. :fp:
    PJ-Cubs wrote:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :evil: :evil:

Boy, the hits just keep on coming. :evil: :fp:
    I lost a bet...
  • Wow. :fp:

Sorry to hear about Garza
    PJ-Cubs wrote:

I cannot imagine the Cubs not being on WGN. I am still not even used to some of the games now being on Comcast Sportsnet and WCIU.

As far back as I can remember, the Cubs and WGN went together.
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    PJ-Cubs wrote:

I cannot imagine the Cubs not being on WGN. I am still not even used to some of the games now being on Comcast Sportsnet and WCIU.

As far back as I can remember, the Cubs and WGN went together.

Exactly. This is all Ricketts IMO. Yeah they get more money for games on Comcast, although I'm not sure why they couldn't get more for games on WGN as it's on most cable providers throughout the country. I'd also think Cubs games have to be WGN's highest viewing programs by far.

But the saddest thing I think that it will do is lessen the national appeal the Cubs have. Because WGN is a superstation and in most homes across the country, that's why the Cubs have fans all over the country. That's why when they play in Milwaukee, Atlanta, Florida and Colorado it's basically Wrigley North, South, or West. They get rid of games on WGN and they will lose the national appeal with the younger generation of fans who won't get to grow up watching them. They will lose the home field advantage in the above mentioned places. Growing up in WI but not around Milwaukee WGN was the reason why I was a Cubs fan. The Brewers were seldom on TV (thank god as I'd hate to be a fan of that team), plus they played all those afternoon games in the early 80's (lights came in 88) so it was easy to watch the entire game as a kid. Despite all the heartache from the losses this may be the saddest loss of them all. Yeah, they may have been pretty bad but at least I know I could always catch a game or two a week on the W. Sad sad day in Cubs nation when they ax games on the W.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
    Also RIP Harry, 15 yrs already, hard to believe.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
    pureoc wrote:
    Also RIP Harry, 15 yrs already, hard to believe.

Wow, 15 years already. RIP Harry. :(
    I lost a bet...
    The last time a meteor hit Russia, the Cubs won the World Series. So, with the events a few days ago...I'm thinking this is our year! :corn:
    I lost a bet...
    pureoc wrote:
    Exactly. This is all Ricketts IMO. Yeah they get more money for games on Comcast, although I'm not sure why they couldn't get more for games on WGN as it's on most cable providers throughout the country.

there are actually two WGN. The local Ch 9 and then the superstation. not all games on 9 are on the superstation now a days. back in the day yes.

but it goes beyond just the rate of the game, Ricketts owns a 25% stake in the local comcast sports net station. assuming the broadcast is generating a profit, it only makes sense to put more games on the station that you own.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,248
    The last time a meteor hit Russia, the Cubs won the World Series. So, with the events a few days ago...I'm thinking this is our year! :corn:
    :thumbup: :D
    81 wrote:
    pureoc wrote:
    Exactly. This is all Ricketts IMO. Yeah they get more money for games on Comcast, although I'm not sure why they couldn't get more for games on WGN as it's on most cable providers throughout the country.

there are actually two WGN. The local Ch 9 and then the superstation. not all games on 9 are on the superstation now a days. back in the day yes.

Yes back in the day, up until like 99 or 00 every game was on WGN. Yes, WGN has 2 feeds, WGN America (the one carried on most cable and satellite providers across the country) and the local Chicago over the air WGN feed. Any Cubs game currently shown on WGN is shown on both the Chicago local feed and the WGN America feed. Because WGN America is on so many cable and satellite providers I don't know why they wouldn't generate as much money for a contract since they are in so many homes. Not sure how the whole system works though.
    40 days until Opening Day! :mrgreen:
    I lost a bet...
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732

The last few years, baseball has started late like April 7th or something. I'm happy we're back to the April 1st opening day, that's how it always should be.
    davidtrios wrote:

The last few years, baseball has started late like April 7th or something. I'm happy we're back to the April 1st opening day, that's how it always should be.
    :thumbup: :mrgreen:
    I lost a bet...
    The Cubbies beat the Angels 11-2 in the Cactus League Opener.

Go Cubs Go!! :mrgreen:
    I lost a bet...