Chicago Cubs baseball!!!

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I’ll take the W but god damn!  A clear cut W against a shorty team would be nice if only this team was capable of doing so more than once every 2-3 weeks.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Strop. That’s all I gotta say. 
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Scored first...3rd game in a row. Won today unlike yesterday. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Scored first...4th game in a row
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Winning the series but still being outscored.  By the Padres.  Pathetic.
    Smgdh.

Fucking bums can’t even win a series against the worst team in the NL. 
    edited August 2018
    I repeat. The so-called “best” team in the NL is about to split a series with the worst team in the NL. These guys aren’t making it to October. They’re done. Just absolutely pathetic series against a bottom feeder team that we should be annihilating every game. This should be a convincing 4 game sweep, not a split in which we BARELY held on to win the 2 games we did.

Fucking pathetic loser bums!!!
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
    Damn. They are teeing off on Lester today. 
    Sat down to beat the heat and actually watch a good baseball game today. I got one of the two. 
    Dog shit fucking bullpen. Never fails. 
    Better yet, put a fork in them and take them out of their misery. 
  • Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985
    On the bright side, found out Detroit got a Giordano's today, so at least I ate well while I watched that complete shit show.
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
    Know what this team needs? They need a good home crowd "booing". And a clubhouse leader to give them that "let's go" or "all in" speech. 

Also, a healthy Bryant would be a welcome addition.
    ^ I’ll gladly partake in the home crowd booing if it occurs while I’m there. Although I don’t think I’m going again this year. Too expensive to watch this under-performing product on the field. I hope they make me eat my words. 
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,292
    Bad loss today - terrible base running, walks that led to runs, and a bullpen meltdown.  The Cubs cannot lose to bad teams (the Padres literally gave away 2 players yesterday) and expect to win the division.  The Brewers are not going away.
    There's a lot not right about the pitching staff.  Our ace can't throw to a base and goes through stretches where he looks terrible, what should be the number 2 hasn't pitched since May, the league has figured out Hendricks, Montgomery is who he is.... Simply serviceable.  Hamels pitched well in game one.... We'll see.  There's nothing about Chatwood I want to see in a game.  Rosario, it turns out, isn't great.  I have zero confidence in Strop.  

Just a bad scene all around. 
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

^ Well said. 
    With the exception of one season, Boston has continued to be a perennial threat in the AL, winning another World Series and utterly killing all competition this season.  Dan Duquette built about 98% of the 2004 Red Sox team, Theo worked some trades and had a signing or two that helped the 2007 team.  I'm not sure how much of the 2013 team was Theo's doing, but it kinda makes you think that maybe he isn't the genius that everyone makes him out to be.  The Cubs clearly overperformed in 2015, had a dominant 2016, and have far underperformed ever since. Not one single signing or trade they've made since the World Series has impressed me.  They've all only made the team worse.  Yu Darvish could go down as the worst value signing in Cubs history.  And I can't believe after having a rotation of Lester, Arrieta, Hendricks, Lackey, & Hammel (as bad as the last two could be at times, even) that they try to sell us on Tyler fucking Chatwood.

And Jacob deGrom is still in a fucking Mets uniform...  His walks, earned runs, & home runs combined (71) are 15 fewer than Chatwood has walks (86).  He's only given up 23 more hits than Chatwood has walked.
    The latest ESPN power rankings from today have the Cubs at number 5. Are they watching the same team I am? They note the Cole Hamels acquisition specifically. I get it. On a team already performing well, Hamels could pay dividends. But I think these talking heads are ignoring the elephant in the room...every other pitcher on this damn team not named Lester! 
    edited August 2018
    And even Lester's had a bad 3 or 4 outings out of 4 or 5.  I think they're just looking at record and record only.  We still have the best win % in the NL.  But the team is playing horribly.  They are winning despite themselves, not because. And because other teams in the NL seem to slump at the same times we do - i.e. the times we SHOULD be taking advantage of, especially playing the likes of San Diego - it makes us look better overall than we really are. To the talking heads at least.  They're certainly not watching the same team we are.  The team that lets other teams score first (usually in the first damn inning) on almost a daily basis. The team whose bats don't come alive until it's almost too late in the game on almost a daily basis.  The team that STILL strikes out at 2-3 times the rate they walk, while walking the opposition 2-3x as much as striking them out.  The team that can't advance a runner to save their ass.  The team that can't plate runners in scoring position with less than two outs.  The team whose bullpen, while great to start the season, gets lit up 2 out of every 3 games these days. The team who has an away record just barely above .500
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
    MLB’s own power rankings have this team at #3.

:dizzy:
    ^
    Delusional. 
    Gee, the lowly Royals strike first. Big fucking surprise.
    ^^^Scored first in I think it was 4 of the previous 5 games. Oh, and they won tonight.

With the exception of one season, Boston has continued to be a perennial threat in the AL, winning another World Series and utterly killing all competition this season.  Dan Duquette built about 98% of the 2004 Red Sox team, Theo worked some trades and had a signing or two that helped the 2007 team.  I'm not sure how much of the 2013 team was Theo's doing, but it kinda makes you think that maybe he isn't the genius that everyone makes him out to be.  The Cubs clearly overperformed in 2015, had a dominant 2016, and have far underperformed ever since. Not one single signing or trade they've made since the World Series has impressed me.  They've all only made the team worse.  Yu Darvish could go down as the worst value signing in Cubs history.  And I can't believe after having a rotation of Lester, Arrieta, Hendricks, Lackey, & Hammel (as bad as the last two could be at times, even) that they try to sell us on Tyler fucking Chatwood.

And Jacob deGrom is still in a fucking Mets uniform...  His walks, earned runs, & home runs combined (71) are 15 fewer than Chatwood has walks (86).  He's only given up 23 more hits than Chatwood has walked.
    Dude, things are still the best they have ever been for Cubs. You're mad at your Noles, not our Cubs. I forgive you. 

Some points above are valid. And yes, there are changes that need to be made. And signings that have not worked out well so far.

But to say they have "far underperformed since (2016)" is kind of a crazy statement I believe. I mean since winning the World Series, the Cubs ended last season in the NLCS (final 2 in the NL) and are currently own the best winning percentage in the NL. Things really could be much worse brother.

I'm sure (obviously no inside info here) at least talked to the Mets about DeGrom. Doesn't mean the Mets were legitimately willing to trade him though.

Hamels is looking okay so far I thought. But he did allow the Royals to score first today so maybe that makes him a fucking bum as well?

Schwarber's defense, though much better, still does leave something to be desired in left field. All that and fucking Mike Trout is still in an Angel's uniform?!?! :lol:
    Javy is playing like a man possessed and carrying this team right now.  True MVP candidate.  
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

Dude, things are still the best they have ever been for Cubs. You're mad at your Noles, not our Cubs. I forgive you. 

Some points above are valid. And yes, there are changes that need to be made. And signings that have not worked out well so far.

But to say they have "far underperformed since (2016)" is kind of a crazy statement I believe. I mean since winning the World Series, the Cubs ended last season in the NLCS (final 2 in the NL) and are currently own the best winning percentage in the NL. Things really could be much worse brother.

I'm sure (obviously no inside info here) at least talked to the Mets about DeGrom. Doesn't mean the Mets were legitimately willing to trade him though.

Hamels is looking okay so far I thought. But he did allow the Royals to score first today so maybe that makes him a fucking bum as well?

Schwarber's defense, though much better, still does leave something to be desired in left field. All that and fucking Mike Trout is still in an Angel's uniform?!?! :lol:
    Nah, not mad at the Noles.  They won the NCAA Women's World Series.  (The men, however.... :angry: )

I still do think the Cubs have well underperformed.  I don't expect everything to be as magical and perfect as the 2016 season, but I do expect them to play with that same intensity & hunger.  You could feel the energy of the 2015 & 2016 teams, you knew they wanted to break the curse and win.  Last year we made it to the NLCS and if not for Jake Arrieta their asses would have been swept in utterly embarrassing fashion.  The Nats series, though they won it, they played horribly.  The Nats themselves helped us beat them a good deal.

I just really don't like the way this team is playing outside of Baez, Almora, & Heyward this season.  I hope Hamels keeps it up but man, we need more than one SP at a time on their mark.  The constant playing from behind, the constant wait til the late innings to start hitting, the constant struggling with bad teams - that isn't gonna work in the playoffs.  I don't know, I'm just not feeling the urgency, the energy, the hunger from many of these guys.
    Well, we just had a solid start, who the fuck is this Bote guy?  He's played a significant amount already, and hitting .330.  The dude is a hitter.  Great story.  Hopefully Monty can lock one down for us tonight.  
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

I agree whole heartedly with your last two sentences for sure for sure. But they are still in a damn good spot. 3 straight NLCS appearances and currently 1st in the league is pretty freaking solid. 

The SP is offensive for the most part. I wonder what part of that is due to Bosio being let go.

Another small thing to consider is look at the bottom team in each division right now. The NL central doesn't have a Baltimore, KC, San Diego, etc... when you look and see Cincinnati has won 49 games you can see that is the same or close to some other bottom divisional teams. But if you drive a bit deeper into it, the Reds were 3-15 to start their season. After those 18 games, they fired their manager. Since then, they are only 3 games below .500 (not including today). That's pretty good for a last place team in a division that has the top 2 teams in the league. That has to mean at least a couple game difference in the standings.