London 2012 Olympics

Comments

• BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,670
    the thing i love at maraton is that all the crowd,even all the technical teams,people working claping and support and cheering for all the athletes! no matter their position,or country :)

Very true and thats the way it shoukd be for all events
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    the thing i love at maraton is that all the crowd,even all the technical teams,people working claping and support and cheering for all the athletes! no matter their position,or country :)
    +1

I know several marathon runners and they do say that this is what keeps them going.
    redrock wrote:
    Who cares about the marathon - need to check out the swimmers! :lol:
    i try to say it nicely.. :lol::lol:

I'm just a dirty old lady, Dimi! ;):mrgreen:
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Anyone else think that Phelps has been acting like a disrespectful douche bag at the podium over the last few days? Good for him, he's fun to watch swim, but he sure does seem to have a bit of a defective personality. Someone needs to tell him that it's not cool to talk and laugh while his opponent is being awarded his medal, and to stop using the podium as a foot rest. And maybe stand up instead of slouching against the wall like he's some hooligan on a street corner, or perhaps too cool for Olympic medal ceremonies now.

Nope and big deal if he was having fun...maybe he was getting bored of these medal ceremonies...greatest Olympian ever, IMO.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    BLACK35 wrote:
    Yes, we finally have a GOLD medal for Canada, its just in the trampolin, but its GOLD, way to Go Rosie :D:clap::clap:

Yes congratulation Rosie. Also congratulations Paula Findlay, no need to apologize, just finishing so guts and class.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

Double amputee Oscar Pistorius ‘just another guy’ at Olympics

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/08/ ... -olympics/

Good luck to Oscar!

• SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Double amputee Oscar Pistorius ‘just another guy’ at Olympics

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/08/ ... -olympics/

Good luck to Oscar!
    His smile before and after the race yesterday...priceless. So glad he was able to compete! "Advantage" my ass.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,548
    Federer im not sure u wil have alot of chances like today..
    but,Murray kick ass today
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Federer im not sure u wil have alot of chances like today..

:nono: :nono:

Go Federer!!
    I am gutted that I'm not sitting in Centre Court right now!
    (but I was at the Wimbledn final so I guess I can't complain too much! :D )
    “I worked really hard on this set. I just told you we’re gonna have a great night, so I don’t need any fuckin’ help from anybody.” EV, 7/2/09
  • Hmmmm... ya think Murray wants to win this? :o
    “I worked really hard on this set. I just told you we’re gonna have a great night, so I don’t need any fuckin’ help from anybody.” EV, 7/2/09
    Federer im not sure u wil have alot of chances like today..

:nono: :nono:

Go Federer!!
    (but I was at the Wimbledn final so I guess I can't complain too much! :D )
    nice u saw wimbledon..
    im with federer too..but i cant see how he caame back from this..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    Hmmmm... ya think Murray wants to win this? :o
    :lol::lol::lol: im sure he want it
    )
    didnt Queen called u??she said she will.. :fp:
  • I am gutted that I'm not sitting in Centre Court right now!
    )

I was counting on you Dimi! :P

I'm hoping this is going to go 5 sets.
    Federer's making a go of it now.
    )

I was counting on you Dimi! :P

I'm hoping this is going to go 5 sets.
    Federer's making a go of it now.
    ok,he is really tired..he played 5 hours at the same final..
    lets see..seems he cant..
  • Yes, but at least he had a day off to recover.
    Murray was on court practically all day yesterday and is playing like this!? Crazy!
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    what is up with Federer? he seems totally out of it. I'm still rooting for him, but it looks like its going to to to Murray
  • vduboise wrote:
    what is up with Federer? he seems totally out of it. I'm still rooting for him, but it looks like its going to to to Murray
    It certainly is looking that way.
    edited August 2012
    vduboise wrote:

Apart from the 'glory', what's in it for a professional player as successful as Federer? Doesn't count towards seeding/ranking, no money.... maybe not enough motivation?
    he's probably shocked with himself. missing easy shots- maybe he is tired. The US open is coming up- do you think he could handle it? back to back to back tournaments. Questionable as it stands now.
    Yes, but at least he had a day off to recover.
    Murray was on court practically all day yesterday and is playing like this!? Crazy!
    Murray is used to it.at 2010 he playes 60 points at a set.. :lol:
    redrock wrote:
    vduboise wrote:

Apart from the 'glory', what's in it for a professional player as successful as Federer? Doesn't count towards seeding/ranking, no money.... maybe not enough motivation?

he could make more money with endorsements- thats about it. If you're not motivated to be in the Olympics, then why do it?
    redrock wrote:
    vduboise wrote:

motivation??
    is the only thing he never got at his career.. Gold medal at Olympics
    edited August 2012
    redrock wrote:
    vduboise wrote:

motivation??
    is the only thing he never got at his career.. Gold medal at Olmpics

Federer? Top tennis player has all the trophies he wants during his career. OK, so he never got gold at the olympics and maybe it's a win he would like to have. But what I'm trying to say is that if there's no consequence for his professional career whether he gets gold or not, maybe it's not that important and he would rather save himself for his paying gigs? I know, I may be a bit callous thinking this way, but don't think the guy needs the glory, more endorsements, etc. I believe winning Wimbledon has more 'clout' to it than getting an olympic gold. But then, if he wants the medal to go with the rest of his trophies.....

Personally, I don't think professionals should have been allowed in the olympics - whatever the sport.
  • redrock wrote:
    vduboise wrote:

I think Federer wants the golden slam though and seemed very motivated to achieve it. It's the one thing he doesn't have. And for someone as competitive as he is, I don't see him ever being not motivated enough to win a match. He's just getting ridiculously outplayed right now. Murray seems to be running on pure adrenaline right now and doing no wrong.
  • redrock wrote:
    Federer? Top tennis player has all the trophies he wants during his career. OK, so he never got gold at the olympics and maybe it's a win he would like to have. But what I'm trying to say is that if there's no consequence for his professional career whether he gets gold or not, maybe it's not that important and he would rather save himself for his paying gigs? I know, I may be a bit callous thinking this way, but don't think the guy needs the glory, more endorsements, etc. I believe winning Wimbledon has more 'clout' to it than getting an olympic gold. But then, if he wants the medal to go with the rest of his trophies.....

I think Federer has all the money he'll ever need. ;)
    He's in this tournament because he wants this gold medal.
    redrock wrote:
    vduboise wrote:

I think Federer wants the golden slam though and seemed very motivated to achieve it. It's the one thing he doesn't have. And for someone as competitive as he is, I don't see him ever being not motivated enough to win a match. He's just getting ridiculously outplayed right now. Murray seems to be running on pure adrenaline right now and doing no wrong.
    you are right.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    motivated or not, roger played like shit today

go andy!
    match point...
    norm wrote:
    motivated or not, roger played like shit today

go andy!
    true