I'm going to Seattle!!!!!!!

Comments

• Mamasan23 wrote:
    :thumbup: have an awesome time! Been wanting to go there for 20 years...one day!

ME TOO!!! I can't believe it!!!! :)
    ~FEEL THE FLOW~
  • Niice!! Have fun!!
    I've been to Seattle twice and I really like it there. I have yet to get to the Seattle Music Experience but it's on my to do list next time I go to Seattle.

If the Crocodile Cafe is still there I recommend that place.
    FYI There are two different Easy Street Records in Seattle. The one that Pearl Jam played at is in West Seattle.
    If you go to the Space Needle, Key arena is almost right next door.

Thanks for the info! It's good to know that they Key Arena is there at the EMP. Is Seattle Music Experience and Experience Music Project the same? Is West Seattle safe?

Do you or anyone know areas I should avoid???
    ~FEEL THE FLOW~
  • the house where Kurt Cobain died?

This is on the list! Thanks!
    ~FEEL THE FLOW~
  • Seattle is withouth doubt one of my favourite US cities.

Jimi Hendrix grave/memorial, Bruce Lee/Brandon lee graves, kurt Cobains house has a bench next to it which is still used as a memorial with people writing stuff/taping joints to it etc etc.

THE Soundgarden is awesome.

The Fremont Troll is incredible and a must see. The Beatle which is being crushed belonged to Andy Wood.

The house from singles.

The worlds first starbucks, the bubble gum wall and the fish throwing at the Pike Place Market.

Ten club but don't go there as they won't let you in :mrgreen:

Kurt Cobain's Memorial Site and The Soundgarden are on the list, I want to at least see the outside of the Ten Club and take a picture. Do you or anyone know the physical address??? I've been trying to find it on Google. The address seems to be well hidden...at least to me.
    ~FEEL THE FLOW~
  • Fifi_IrelandFifi_Ireland Posts: 576
    Awesome recommendations. I will be in seattle for only 2 days 6th & 7th Asugust so going to try and squash as much of this in as possible. staying at pike market so thats done, really want to do the EMP, is it hard to get to both discovery park and magnuson park without a car does anyone know?
    168dcfb.jpg
  • Awesome recommendations. I will be in seattle for only 2 days 6th & 7th Asugust so going to try and squash as much of this in as possible. staying at pike market so thats done, really want to do the EMP, is it hard to get to both discovery park and magnuson park without a car does anyone know?

been in the city for over 3 years now. If you don't have your own transportation then the Metro bus routes/public transit really sucks. It can take well over a 30-45 min. to travel to each neighborhood. Discovery Park is a ways from Magnuson Park. DP is located north of Magnolia and MP is in the U-District next to Lake Washington...
    U.S. / Canada Buffalo 1996 Barrie Ontario 1998 Saratoga Springs 2000 Toronto Ontario 2000 Albany 2003 Toronto Ontario 2003 Buffalo 2003 Toronto Ontario 2005 Toledo 2004 London Ontario 2005 Seattle 2009 Vancouver B.C. 2011 Seattle 2013
    hummm.... are taxis expensive? could always catch one or other when we pick up our hire car on the wednesday!
    Any other good recommendations for anything musical/PJ etc related out on the Olympic peninsula or in Olympia?
    168dcfb.jpg
  • To DO in Seattle
    EMP
    Discovery Park
    Space Needle
    Magnuson Park
    The Soundgarden
    Benaroya Hall
    Easy Street Records, West Seattle
    Kurt Cobain's Memorial
    Key Arena
    Pike's Place Market
    The Showbox
    Ten Club (where are you 10Club?)
    Visit King Tut Exhibit at Science Center
    Spend some time in bookstores...I'm a librarian, gotta go there!!!
    Seattle Public Library
    Layne Stayley Memorial (rumored to be on Bainbridge Island??) anyone know if this is true?
    The Crocodile Cafe
    What am I forgetting??? Gonna refer to this list! Someone pinch me!!!!
    OH YEAH!!!!! WOOO HOOO!!!! Can't wait!!! Countdown!!!!
    ~FEEL THE FLOW~
    http://www.seattle.gov/music/map/

Just found this! Its not got everything on it but seems pretty useful :)
    168dcfb.jpg
  • -Emma--Emma- Posts: 2,864
    I want to at least see the outside of the Ten Club and take a picture. Do you or anyone know the physical address??? I've been trying to find it on Google. The address seems to be well hidden...at least to me.

According to Google maps:

1900 South Corgiat Drive, Seattle, WA

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Ten+club+LLC&ie=UTF-8
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • http://www.seattle.gov/music/map/

Just found this! Its not got everything on it but seems pretty useful :)

Thanks!! This looks good!!!
    ~FEEL THE FLOW~
  • -Emma- wrote:
    I want to at least see the outside of the Ten Club and take a picture. Do you or anyone know the physical address??? I've been trying to find it on Google. The address seems to be well hidden...at least to me.

According to Google maps:

1900 South Corgiat Drive, Seattle, WA

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Ten+club+LLC&ie=UTF-8

THANKS!!!! I know I googled this... This is great!!!
    ~FEEL THE FLOW~
  • To DO in Seattle
    EMP
    Discovery Park
    Space Needle
    Magnuson Park
    The Soundgarden
    Benaroya Hall
    Kurt Cobain's Memorial
    Key Arena
    Pike's Place Market
    The Showbox
    Seattle Public Library
    Layne Stayley Memorial (rumored to be on Bainbridge Island??) anyone know if this is true?
    The Crocodile Cafe

Hope you enjoy our fair city - it's an awesome place. Definitely check out the downtown public library - it's pretty amazing. For bookshops, hit up Elliot Bay on Capitol Hill (on 10th Ave between Pike and Pine), it's wonderful. The whole Pike/Pine corridor is worth a wander, as there are tons of shops and cafes and a huge park (Cal Anderson) and just general fun people-watching. If you want to see the Singles building, that's up on the top of Capitol Hill (at the corner of 19th Ave E & E Thomas St), conveniently around the corner from the best coffee shop in Seattle, Victrola, on 15th Ave E. (Avoid all Starbucks; there are so many good local coffee shops you'll never go back). All that is walking distance, if you're reasonably fit and up for some hills, from downtown. Seattle is super walkable and it's a really nice way to get a sense of the place. The neighborhoods are the best: Capitol Hill, Queen Anne (there's an Easy Street there, too), Fremont, Ballard (the Tractor is there and it would be an awesome place for a night out). They all have a really unique vibe and are fun to explore, much cooler than downtown.

Key Arena is not worth your time - if you go to the Space Needle, you'll see enough of it. Magnuson and Discovery Parks are both amazing, but both far on public transport - if you only go to one, I'd recommend Discovery; you'll never believe you're still in the city limits, it's totally wild.
  • To DO in Seattle
    EMP
    Discovery Park
    Space Needle
    Magnuson Park
    The Soundgarden
    Benaroya Hall
    Kurt Cobain's Memorial
    Key Arena
    Pike's Place Market
    The Showbox
    Seattle Public Library
    The Crocodile Cafe

Hope you enjoy our fair city - it's an awesome place. Definitely check out the downtown public library - it's pretty amazing. For bookshops, hit up Elliot Bay on Capitol Hill (on 10th Ave between Pike and Pine), it's wonderful. The whole Pike/Pine corridor is worth a wander, as there are tons of shops and cafes and a huge park (Cal Anderson) and just general fun people-watching. If you want to see the Singles building, that's up on the top of Capitol Hill (at the corner of 19th Ave E & E Thomas St), conveniently around the corner from the best coffee shop in Seattle, Victrola, on 15th Ave E. (Avoid all Starbucks; there are so many good local coffee shops you'll never go back). All that is walking distance, if you're reasonably fit and up for some hills, from downtown. Seattle is super walkable and it's a really nice way to get a sense of the place. The neighborhoods are the best: Capitol Hill, Queen Anne (there's an Easy Street there, too), Fremont, Ballard (the Tractor is there and it would be an awesome place for a night out). They all have a really unique vibe and are fun to explore, much cooler than downtown.

Key Arena is not worth your time - if you go to the Space Needle, you'll see enough of it. Magnuson and Discovery Parks are both amazing, but both far on public transport - if you only go to one, I'd recommend Discovery; you'll never believe you're still in the city limits, it's totally wild.
    Thanks for the info!!!! I need to find some Seattle PJ fan friends to come along on some of my expoloring!
    ~FEEL THE FLOW~
  • McNairnMcNairn Posts: 284
    I was there a week ago- awesome place especially for someone from the East.
    I would go see the Troll under the bridge- it is just up the road (on Troll Ave) from a huge statue of Vladimir Lenin that was originally from Russia - a strange thing to see in itself.
    I ate at the Bamboo Garden - great vegetarian food but not a regular stop for tourists by and stretch.
    Also ate at the Broadway Grill - nice patio there.
    If you like the Earth, go out of town for a drive to Snoqualmie Falls - it is spectacular
    I went for a hike on Cougar Mountain-
    Drove down the beach strip after a stop by Easy Street Records -
    Theres a great view of the city from Queens hill or something like that
    I had a friend from Seattle drive me around so we went to some unusual places but thats how I like it-
    If you have time try to summit Mt.Rainier - if not at least have a Rainier beer while looking at the mountain.

Have fun!
  • What's the Discovery Park and I don't know about the significance of Desoto. What happened there?

Desoto is the Disco where the Singles movie characters go during the film, I think it is when Steve meets Linda during Alice in Chains shows... all within the movie...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• McNairn wrote:
    I was there a week ago- awesome place especially for someone from the East.
    I would go see the Troll under the bridge- it is just up the road (on Troll Ave) from a huge statue of Vladimir Lenin that was originally from Russia - a strange thing to see in itself.
    I ate at the Bamboo Garden - great vegetarian food but not a regular stop for tourists by and stretch.
    Also ate at the Broadway Grill - nice patio there.
    If you like the Earth, go out of town for a drive to Snoqualmie Falls - it is spectacular
    I went for a hike on Cougar Mountain-
    Drove down the beach strip after a stop by Easy Street Records -
    Theres a great view of the city from Queens hill or something like that
    I had a friend from Seattle drive me around so we went to some unusual places but thats how I like it-
    If you have time try to summit Mt.Rainier - if not at least have a Rainier beer while looking at the mountain.

Have fun!

awesome suggestions!! thanks!!! :D
    ~FEEL THE FLOW~
  • What's the Discovery Park and I don't know about the significance of Desoto. What happened there?

Desoto is the Disco where the Singles movie characters go during the film, I think it is when Steve meets Linda during Alice in Chains shows... all within the movie...

OH ok!! i was wondering...
    ~FEEL THE FLOW~
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    Yesterday was Day 1- we made it to Pike's Market, we stumbled upon the gum wall, when I lead us down a sketchy alley, same sketchy ally lead us to Pikes Public House for lunch, the Seattle Aquarium, then some shopping downtown, dinner at the Crab Pot (six seafeasts on the table was A LOT of food :) )Finally we went for a walk in Lincoln park. Day 2- looks like EMP and a play in the International Fountain, maybe the monorail...and we will see what it will take to get King Tut tickets.

We are staying in West Seattle...seems safe enough. We rented a VRBO in a nice almost area...good downtown view, but a lttle ways to travel to downtown.
  • guitar59 wrote:
    Yesterday was Day 1- we made it to Pike's Market, we stumbled upon the gum wall, when I lead us down a sketchy alley, same sketchy ally lead us to Pikes Public House for lunch, the Seattle Aquarium, then some shopping downtown, dinner at the Crab Pot (six seafeasts on the table was A LOT of food :) )Finally we went for a walk in Lincoln park. Day 2- looks like EMP and a play in the International Fountain, maybe the monorail...and we will see what it will take to get King Tut tickets.

We are staying in West Seattle...seems safe enough. We rented a VRBO in a nice almost area...good downtown view, but a lttle ways to travel to downtown.

Cool! Thanks for sharing!!!! Continue to update!!!
    ~FEEL THE FLOW~
  • They have also just opened a large ferris wheel on the waterfront near the aquarium. The view is incredible you get the sound/mountain views as well as the city.

You also asked about Alki, it's has an amazing view of downtown from across Elliot Bay (the other direction the Olympic mountains) and also has a great sandy beach and restaurants. If you get us on a sunny day it's a great place to spend a little time relaxing. You could hit it when you go to easy street. I highly recommend breakfast or lunch there (til 3pm).

Enjoy your trip!
    Day 2- International Fountain was closed, the kids were super bummed! We played in the water for hours last year. :(
    We went to the Science Center, instead of EMP, The King Tut exhibit was very cool, we went up the Space Needle. I think we stood in line for longer then we stayed at the top :( Not much to do for the kids up there, but the view of Mt. Rainier with downtown Seattle behind it was worth it.
    Today we hope to hit Easy Street for breakfast...the kids can eat while I shop, then EMP and a swim at the beachside pool in Lincoln Park, 85 degrees today for Seattle and the sun feels hot! I must say, Seattle is a lot of fun, the only drawback I can think of...we are spending so much time seeing things that there isn't enough time to sit around and drink good Northwest brewed beer! ;)
  • Don't try to Summit Rainier, you will die unless you are a mountaineer who has been in training for it for months. Try our Herb, it's the best around, just don't buy it by the Westlake Center. It can be very dangerous on the westside of the westlake center. A lot of gang bangers.
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011

OH ok!! i was wondering...

Actually, that was at the old RocKndy (sp), which doesn't exist anymore. And the coffee shop from Singles was the Ok Hotel and that was destroyed by an earthquake (was owned by Ben Shepard at the time). And I'm quite sure that the Layne Staley Memorial is not on Bainbridge, not sure why it would be. However, that is where Andy Wood, Ben Shepard, Regan Hagar, Chad Channing and Pete Drodge are all from. Pretty amazing for such a tiny little island.

Definitely hit up EMP. The Showbox, Pike Place and Benaroya are all very near to each other so that's a definite must. And look up the Showbox before you go just in case there's a good show. Great venue, drove up a couple months ago for the Brad show. Head to West Seattle and you have Alki, Eddie's home and Lukins (not sure if Lukins still exists?)! Last I recall the Ten Club is right off Mercer street and 5th or 6th avenues next to the 5 Spot, where you can get cheep beers too.

I also recommend going to see a game at Safeco if your a sports fan. It's a beautiful venue and a growing area with the Seahawks stadium right next door. It's especially nice if the weather is good and it's shaping up to be so.
    Whats the story with Eddies house, do people actually go there? Is that a bit stalkery or is there something there to see?

Is the showbox actually a bar or just a venue - just checked and theres nothing listed for when Im there :)
    And is Alki a bar or the area?
    thanks
    :)
    I am soooooo stealing ideas from this thread too !
    168dcfb.jpg
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Whats the story with Eddies house, do people actually go there? Is that a bit stalkery or is there something there to see?

Is the showbox actually a bar or just a venue - just checked and theres nothing listed for when Im there :)
    And is Alki a bar or the area?
    thanks
    :)
    I am soooooo stealing ideas from this thread too !

please please PLEASE don't go to Ed's house, or Kurt's old house-respect the families that live in the area. I would rather people go to 10c and have their pic taken by that building (which is in Georgetown, not by the Space Needle/Mercer area).

the Showbox IS an active club, right across the street from Pike Place. They have a bar next door called The Green Room.

Alki is a beach/community. Salty's is an excellent seafood restaurant there, and the brunch is amazing. Make reservations if you want to go there. Parking is a pain in the ass.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    Dont worry, I have no intention of going to someones house simply because they live/lived there! If there was something for fans there then I would think about it but otherwise I agree its not appropriate! Its all fair and well to randomly bump into a band member in a shop but as I meant above, going to someones house is a bit stalkery!

Wasnt sure if there was something there....sort of like Bruce Springsteen has people to his gaff sometimes :)
    168dcfb.jpg
    ps I've no intention of going to 10 club either...would rather experience the bars of seattle than the outside of buildings ;)
    168dcfb.jpg
  • I'll be there in a fortnight ....
    Just finished up our last day in Seattle...for now. (We go to a Blue Jays vs. Mariners game next week, and may catch an early ferry and spend extra time at Pioneer Square and make sure we hit Pyramid for before game beers). EMP was great, I could have spent way more time there. I hope they disinfect the headphones often...I couldn't resist putting them on and listening to all the music in the Nirvana exhibit (they had 2 walls of albums from the early 1990's Seattle bands, 3 songs per album...you get the idea. The kids loved the Avatar exhibit, I had no idea the Navi were that big! We recorded a CD with the kids playing drums, keyboard, and guitar and Mr. Guitar on lead guitar....no shakey egg for me though...a little bummed about that ;). We could have spent more time playing in the sound stage area, but the kids were hungry. I couldn't resist hanging out and watching a great deal of ACDC concert footage, reliving the high school days. We made it to Dick's for burgers and shakes...good thing I don't live here, the Dick's fries would become a diet staple. The fountain was open today and we stayed and played until we heard the Seattle music medley, I must have looked pretty silly lying upside down so my head was close enough to a speaker to drown out the fountain and screaming kid noise. ;) Seattle is a fun place to hang out. We did a lot and still left more to do if we return next year.