Options

*** Amsterdam 2 Fanviews Here 6/27/12 ***

Comments

• Options
    PJForceofNaturePJForceofNature Posts: 3,087
    I just got back to the US a couple days ago, and I have to say, I have never been so moved by a PJ concert as I was for this one! I attended the two Manchester shows and also the two Amsterdam ones, and I loved them all, but this one was so very special! :D

Highlights for me included SOLAT, I Got Shit, Release, Footsteps, RVM, Crown of Thorns, and Baba, but the entire show was absolutely awesome!! I feel so grateful that I was there, and it was truly a night I will never, ever forget!! :thumbup:

Brian, you did a terrific job on the set list, and I was absolutely thrilled when you came out on stage and took a bow with the band. It was great seeing the hugs you got from the band too!! What a feeling that must have been for you, looking out on that sea of joyous faces!! :D

Many, many thanks to PJ, and to Brian too. :clap::clap: I will be forever grateful!!
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    RedPearlRedPearl Friesland, The Netherlands Posts: 84
    & an It's OK tag :angel:

In Amsterdam we had the WMA tag...
    - Arnhem 2006 - Düsseldorf 2007 - Werchter 2007 - Rotterdam 2009 - Werchter 2010 -

- Amsterdam I 2012 - Amsterdam II 2012 - Werchter 2012 - Berlin I 2012 -

- Amsterdam I 2014 - Amsterdam II 2014 - Berlin 2014 - Werchter 2014 -
  • Options
    dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    Set List Break Down

Ten... 4
    Vs... 5
    Vitalogy... 5
    No Code... 1
    Yield... 000
    Binuaral... 1
    Riot Act... 000
    Self Titled... 000
    Back Spacer... 2
    Tag...2
    Cover... 3
    B-Side... 5
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,977
    Nice work Don!
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Options
    dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    Nice work Don!

Thanks, I think I did the count on all the shows. Now just to add them all up. What a life I have :? .. :lol:
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    never in my life had such a fuckin great time,,seeing live show....
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    PJForceofNaturePJForceofNature Posts: 3,087
    Memories that will last a lifetime! :D:D
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    WhaleyWhaley Netherlands Posts: 24
    Photos from afar (seated) with a cheap camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whaley/tags/lastfm%3Aevent%3D3145055/

What can you say.. this one will certainly be remembered. Only real downside for me was having to leave during Crown of Thorns to catch the last train home because I had an important training at work the next day... so I actually literally ran away from a legendary PJ show before it was over, only to find that the train had been delayed for about 10-15 minutes. Ziggo dome has great sound, but no Internet. No WiFi, no T-Mobile gprs/umts data either. :( Nevertheless THANK YOU for the setlist!
  • Options
    Whaley wrote:
    Photos from afar (seated) with a cheap camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whaley/tags/lastfm%3Aevent%3D3145055/

What can you say.. this one will certainly be remembered. Only real downside for me was having to leave during Crown of Thorns to catch the last train home because I had an important training at work the next day... so I actually literally ran away from a legendary PJ show before it was over, only to find that the train had been delayed for about 10-15 minutes. Ziggo dome has great sound, but no Internet. No WiFi, no T-Mobile gprs/umts data either. :( Nevertheless THANK YOU for the setlist!
    during Crown of Thorns???? :o :( :(
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    No Fuckin WAY :nono: :fp:
    shows: Shepherds Bush 110809
    Hyde Park 250610
    Bridge School Benefit 23/241010
    Manchester MEN 210612
    Amsterdam Ziggodome 270612
    Berlin '02' 040712
  • Options
    Pry ToPry To Posts: 285
    No Code... 1
    Yield... 000
    Binuaral... 1
    Riot Act... 000
    Self Titled... 000

It was a great show and fun to hear some early rarities (I'd caught most of 'em before), but looking at the above is why it doesn't rank as the all-time, legendary, most amazing setlist ever in my book. Three songs off of Riot Act or Binaural in a single show would probably be far more mindblowing at this point, given that the band goes out of its way to disown most of the (fantastic) songs on those albums. TWO songs from this incredible string of albums? Seriously? I enjoyed the show but not nearly as much as everyone else seemed to. Totally sad to me how much the band ignores this wonderful, thoughtful, challenging material in favor of the 18 millionth airing of "Alive." If they want to play some real rarities, there are plenty of studio cuts from these albums that easily fit the definition since they are lucky to get played once or twice in an entire tour, if at all.
    Los Angeles - Sep 11, 1992
    Memphis - Aug 15, 2000
    Chicago - May 16, 2006
    Chicago - Aug 23-24, 2009
    Columbus - May 6, 2010
    Noblesville - May 7, 2010
    Manchester - June 20-21, 2012
    Amsterdam - June 26-27, 2012
    Berlin - July 4-5, 2012
  • Options
    Pry To wrote:
    No Code... 1
    Yield... 000
    Binuaral... 1
    Riot Act... 000
    Self Titled... 000

It was a great show and fun to hear some early rarities (I'd caught most of 'em before), but looking at the above is why it doesn't rank as the all-time, legendary, most amazing setlist ever in my book. Three songs off of Riot Act or Binaural in a single show would probably be far more mindblowing at this point, given that the band goes out of its way to disown most of the (fantastic) songs on those albums. TWO songs from this incredible string of albums? Seriously? I enjoyed the show but not nearly as much as everyone else seemed to. Totally sad to me how much the band ignores this wonderful, thoughtful, challenging material in favor of the 18 millionth airing of "Alive." If they want to play some real rarities, there are plenty of studio cuts from these albums that easily fit the definition since they are lucky to get played once or twice in an entire tour, if at all.
    again,ill say it...Amsterdam 2 doesnt pass in the history cos of the setlist only...
    was unreal ALL..venue,sound,light,crowd,way band played,energy,setlist,,opener...
    i can describe u the way all look around when Release start played at encore,people start crying at crown of thorns,..and most important,what happen after the show...the faces with wide open eyes,wondering,what the fuck just happen in there...
    it was the best performance of any band,i ever saw in my life..and after 29 shoiws,i know now,when this band,can play the perfect show..that was one of them...

dont have to mention,the songs,wasnt played and was at setlist..
    In My Tree & Breathe & Hitchhiker & its ok tag,that changed to wma(better for me,cos i never saw it live as tag)
    . :shock:
  • Options
    +1 :D;)
    shows: Shepherds Bush 110809
    Hyde Park 250610
    Bridge School Benefit 23/241010
    Manchester MEN 210612
    Amsterdam Ziggodome 270612
    Berlin '02' 040712
  • Options
    WhaleyWhaley Netherlands Posts: 24
    No Fuckin WAY :nono: :fp:

Yes.. not kidding... :oops:
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    I would love to write something coherent about this, but I still think I'm not able to. This one's special not only because of the setlist, but also because it was the first one that I got to experience with all my new tour friends, who actually let me in front row center with them (thanks Rafie!)...so many people next to each other, constantly going "OH MY GOD" at each song the band played, I'll never forget this. Probably my fav show EVER. The atmosphere was relaxed, sound was great, crowd enjoyed themselves, we had great security people taking care of us...just awesome! Standing around afterwards not believing what happened was awesome too. :D I even bought the poster I wasn't particularly fond of, just so I can have a memory of that night on my wall.
  • Options
    Pry To wrote:
    No Code... 1
    Yield... 000
    Binuaral... 1
    Riot Act... 000
    Self Titled... 000

again,ill say it...Amsterdam 2 doesnt pass in the history cos of the setlist only...
    was unreal ALL..venue,sound,light,crowd,way band played,energy,setlist,,opener...
    i can describe u the way all look around when Release start played at encore,people start crying at crown of thorns,..and most important,what happen after the show...the faces with wide open eyes,wondering,what the fuck just happen in there...
    it was the best performance of any band,i ever saw in my life..and after 29 shoiws,i know now,when this band,can play the perfect show..that was one of them...

In My Tree & Breathe & Hitchhiker & its ok tag,that changed to wma(better for me,cos i never saw it live as tag)

I'm glad you enjoyed the show so much. Everything you mention, however, is purely subjective. Opinion, not fact. Personally, I thought Manchester 2 was a better show. Berlin 1 had a better crowd. See how I did that? Does that make it true? Nope? Just my opinion, my experience. My post was in response to those here raving about how this is the best setlist the band has ever played, an opinion echoed in much of the mainstream media. (For example: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/07/09/pearl-jam-lets-superfan-create-the-best-set-list-ever/) Best setlist ever? Not in my opinion, but I'm not someone who only like PJ's "popular" period (first three albums). I like the stuff that came after it a lot better because it intentionally refused to pander to the masses. I realize I'm in the minority and that most of the band's fans are casual listeners who'd prefer it if PJ only played material from the first three albums. PJ seems to be happy to comply. That's too bad, in my opinion, because this used to be a band known for challenging and even alienating these same fans. It was healthy and allowed them to stay together as a band. Unfortunately, today they seem content to stick with the safe material from the first three albums, give the fans exactly what they want, and are increasingly coming across as the world's greatest oldies/nostalgia act. Doesn't mean they're not a great band, but count me as one fan who doesn't need to fly halfway around the world to see them play "Even Flow," "Alive," Rockin in the Free World," etc etc one more time. I saw that show in 1992 -- and it was better then.
    Memphis - Aug 15, 2000
    Chicago - May 16, 2006
    Columbus - May 6, 2010
    Berlin - July 4-5, 2012
  • Options
    PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,248
    wow ^

I don't think anyone here is particularly looking forward to Even Flow, Alive, Elderly and what have you.. We're all looking for the gems that pop up only once or twice a tour..! Look at the setlists for this tour; They were extremely diverse (except for the 4-6 songs that are sure to please the casual listeners that get played maybe a bit too often)

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • Options
    Pry To wrote:

I'm glad you enjoyed the show so much. Everything you mention, however, is purely subjective. Opinion, not fact. Personally, I thought Manchester 2 was a better show. Berlin 1 had a better crowd. See how I did that? Does that make it true? Nope? Just my opinion, my experience. My post was in response to those here raving about how this is the best setlist the band has ever played, an opinion echoed in much of the mainstream media. (For example: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/07/09/pearl-jam-lets-superfan-create-the-best-set-list-ever/) Best setlist ever? Not in my opinion, but I'm not someone who only like PJ's "popular" period (first three albums). I like the stuff that came after it a lot better because it intentionally refused to pander to the masses. I realize I'm in the minority and that most of the band's fans are casual listeners who'd prefer it if PJ only played material from the first three albums. PJ seems to be happy to comply. That's too bad, in my opinion, because this used to be a band known for challenging and even alienating these same fans. It was healthy and allowed them to stay together as a band. Unfortunately, today they seem content to stick with the safe material from the first three albums, give the fans exactly what they want, and are increasingly coming across as the world's greatest oldies/nostalgia act. Doesn't mean they're not a great band, but count me as one fan who doesn't need to fly halfway around the world to see them play "Even Flow," "Alive," Rockin in the Free World," etc etc one more time. I saw that show in 1992 -- and it was better then.
    again..setlist isnt the critiria here.. :)
    the venue was the best by far from all they played at this tour..and thats a fact...
    sound and lights and how was the venue,and how close was the fans to stage,from seated area,is a fact..
    setlist is something personal..
    after 29 shows,most of them in Europe,with European crowd,i can tell when the band played perfect..
    thats was the perfect night..i dont have anything to win,or insist about that show..
    is how i judge after 8 shows of this tour..lets say i prefer Athens 06,show,Berlin 10 show,Alpine2,Toronto 1 but that doeasnt make them better show than Amsterdam 2...
    all was perfect..even the security and how safe was the night was the best of the rest shows.. :)
  • Options
    wow ^

I don't think anyone here is particularly looking forward to Even Flow, Alive, Elderly and what have you.. We're all looking for the gems that pop up only once or twice a tour..! Look at the setlists for this tour; They were extremely diverse (except for the 4-6 songs that are sure to please the casual listeners that get played maybe a bit too often)

Agreed. I think most of us who are Ten Club members enjoy the more obscure material. Most of the people in the audience are not TC members and are really only there for the hits, etc. I took my wife to both Amsterdam shows (her first PJ shows). She enjoyed night 1 better because she knew more of the songs. She's a casual listener/fan -- and I'm not insulting her or anyone else over that. When the band goes into a song like Better Man, the crowd goes insane. They play something like Alone and the crowd goes silent. I get why they focus on the big hits. And I truly respect and appreciate that they do play some obscure material and change up the setlists so radically. This was a great tour for sure. I just wish they would stop ignoring the bulk of their material from No Code to Avocado. And you have to admit that they don't play this material too often. Even the obscure cuts tend to come from the first three albums or outtakes from them. That's their fanbase, for better or worse -- people who were super into PJ in the early-mid 90s and haven't really followed them too closely since then. They play to that crowd, and good for them -- they sell a lot more tickets that way. Anyway, I just want to emphasize that I thought this was a fantastic tour and that I enjoyed all six shows I saw. It's great to see a band like PJ still putting in the work after 20 years. Most bands who've been around this long don't come close. I just don't think Amsterdam 2 qualifies as the most mindbending, amazing, incredible setlist of all time. Just one fan's opinion.
    Memphis - Aug 15, 2000
    Chicago - May 16, 2006
    Columbus - May 6, 2010
    Berlin - July 4-5, 2012
  • Options
    Pry To ,which show u did>and did we met? :)
  • Options

Hey Dimi. I was at both nights in Manchester, Amsterdam, and Berlin. I'm a "seat" guy, so I haven't met you crazy f**ckers at the front (I say that with total respect).

Thanks to whomever posted the tour stats. I think they sort of illustrate what I'm trying to say about what material gets focused on and what gets underplayed:

Alive - 12
    Even Flow - 12
    Why Go - 9
    Black - 7
    Jeremy - 7
    Porch - 7
    Once - 6

Elderly Woman - 10
    Daughter - 6
    Animal - 5
    Rearview mirror - 5

Corduroy - 12
    Better Man - 10

Hail, Hail - 5

Do the Evolution - 10
    Given to Fly - 10

Breakerfall - 1
    God’s Dice - 1
    Nothing As it Seems - 1
    Of the Girl - 1
    Light Years - 0
    Grievance - 0
    Sleight of Hand - 0
    Evacuation - 0
    Parting Ways - 0
    Rival - 0
    Soon Forget - 0
    Thin Air - 0

Cropduster - 1
    Love Boat Captain - 1
    You Are - 0
    Help, Help - 0
    All or None - 0
    Arc - 0
    Bushleaguer - 0
    Can’t Keep - 0
    Get Right - 0
    Ghost - 0
    Thumbing My Way - 0

Big Wave - 0
    Marker in the Sand - 0
    Parachutes - 0
    Unemployable - 0
    Army Reserve - 0
    Gone - 0
    Memphis - Aug 15, 2000
    Chicago - May 16, 2006
    Columbus - May 6, 2010
    Berlin - July 4-5, 2012
  • Options
    PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,248
    Pry To wrote:
    wow ^

Agreed. I think most of us who are Ten Club members enjoy the more obscure material. Most of the people in the audience are not TC members and are really only there for the hits, etc. I took my wife to both Amsterdam shows (her first PJ shows). She enjoyed night 1 better because she knew more of the songs. She's a casual listener/fan -- and I'm not insulting her or anyone else over that. When the band goes into a song like Better Man, the crowd goes insane. They play something like Alone and the crowd goes silent. I get why they focus on the big hits. And I truly respect and appreciate that they do play some obscure material and change up the setlists so radically. This was a great tour for sure. I just wish they would stop ignoring the bulk of their material from No Code to Avocado. And you have to admit that they don't play this material too often. Even the obscure cuts tend to come from the first three albums or outtakes from them. That's their fanbase, for better or worse -- people who were super into PJ in the early-mid 90s and haven't really followed them too closely since then. They play to that crowd, and good for them -- they sell a lot more tickets that way. Anyway, I just want to emphasize that I thought this was a fantastic tour and that I enjoyed all six shows I saw. It's great to see a band like PJ still putting in the work after 20 years. Most bands who've been around this long don't come close. I just don't think Amsterdam 2 qualifies as the most mindbending, amazing, incredible setlist of all time. Just one fan's opinion.

Agreed.. but still that makes it so much better when they do whip out songs like CROPDUSTER, IN MY TREE, SMILE, LBC, SAD, BREAKERFALL etc etc

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • Options
    btw,i think Do the evolution,will be played at every show now.. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    Kathi wrote:
    I would love to write something coherent about this, but I still think I'm not able to. This one's special not only because of the setlist, but also because it was the first one that I got to experience with all my new tour friends, who actually let me in front row center with them (thanks Rafie!)...so many people next to each other, constantly going "OH MY GOD" at each song the band played, I'll never forget this. Probably my fav show EVER. The atmosphere was relaxed, sound was great, crowd enjoyed themselves, we had great security people taking care of us...just awesome! Standing around afterwards not believing what happened was awesome too. :D I even bought the poster I wasn't particularly fond of, just so I can have a memory of that night on my wall.
    :thumbup: :wave:
    +1
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • Options
    Peasant TentsPeasant Tents UK Posts: 835
    Pry To wrote:

Hey Dimi. I was at both nights in Manchester, Amsterdam, and Berlin. I'm a "seat" guy, so I haven't met you crazy f**ckers at the front (I say that with total respect).

Thanks to whomever posted the tour stats. I think they sort of illustrate what I'm trying to say about what material gets focused on and what gets underplayed:

Alive - 12
    Even Flow - 12
    Why Go - 9
    Black - 7
    Jeremy - 7
    Porch - 7
    Once - 6

Elderly Woman - 10
    Daughter - 6
    Animal - 5
    Rearview mirror - 5

Corduroy - 12
    Better Man - 10

Hail, Hail - 5

Do the Evolution - 10
    Given to Fly - 10

Breakerfall - 1
    God’s Dice - 1
    Nothing As it Seems - 1
    Of the Girl - 1
    Light Years - 0
    Grievance - 0
    Sleight of Hand - 0
    Evacuation - 0
    Parting Ways - 0
    Rival - 0
    Soon Forget - 0
    Thin Air - 0

Cropduster - 1
    Love Boat Captain - 1
    You Are - 0
    Help, Help - 0
    All or None - 0
    Arc - 0
    Bushleaguer - 0
    Can’t Keep - 0
    Get Right - 0
    Ghost - 0
    Thumbing My Way - 0

Big Wave - 0
    Marker in the Sand - 0
    Parachutes - 0
    Unemployable - 0
    Army Reserve - 0
    Gone - 0

Same for me too --- although Amsterdam 2 was my favourite night this tour for the reasons Dimi has given -- I personally prefer the 2 sets from Berlin !!

But then that had to do with Oceans ( :o ) and Breakerfall :D

Do want more material from 2000 - 2002 for sure -- my personal favourite period is Vitalogy - No Code - Yield
    but I wish for less Betterman / GTF / DTE / ....
    But that said, most fans will want to hear Evenflow or Alive cos they're only doing 1 or 2 shows... I guess they could give Why Go a miss for Evacuation every show... :D
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828

indeed..someone loves the crowd singalong.. :lol:
  • Options
    Kathi wrote:

indeed..someone loves the crowd singalong.. :lol:
    was so awesome!!! :D:D:D
  • Options
    Listening the audio recording..the reaction of the fans around the taper when they realise that is Release at the Encore ,is unreal...

I was at Fuckin Amsterdam 2 indeed...
  • Options
    ChrisileinChrisilein Vienna/Austria Posts: 3,878
    Listening the audio recording..the reaction of the fans around the taper when they realise that is Release at the Encore ,is unreal...

YEAH!! :thumbup:
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • Options
    Chrisilein wrote:

YEAH!! :thumbup:
    :D next time Vienna show.. ;)