Posters at the shows

13»

Comments

• CorduroyboyCorduroyboy Posts: 1,256
    JSBE wrote:

you obviously try to sell something on ebay (or anywhere else) when you can capitalize and make the most profit. who is going to sell on ebay to make 50 cents on the dollar? for your barry sanders reference, think of the hottest baseball player right now...albert pujols? jon papelbon? go on ebay and look up for one of their rare rookie cards. i bet you it is going for a lot. now go and look for a nintendo ds lite. yup. going for a lot. i bet the new t-mobile sidekick 3 will be going for a lot in a week or so if they aren't already. i bet you last week and the week before there was a TON of superman stuff on ebay just like i'm sure there is a ton of pirates of the carribean stuff on ebay right now.

Dude I know how Ebay works. I actually do quite a bit of selling on Ebay, buying too. I've also taken a lot of economics in college too. But what I use here is the market value. The posters, market value is $25 for about a half hour. Soon as they are bought up, price clearly doubles, due to the limited copies and the popularity of them. Bottom line is we all want a poster from the show we go to. We all wont be able to get one. We all want to pay $25 for a poster, not $150. But because there is no in place system for allowing patrons one per show and the limited copies, some will pay $25, others will pay more. So while everyone wants to make a buck or 2, a lot of us want to save those 2 bucks.
  • JSBE wrote:
    like i said before, show up when the doors open and you should have no problem getting a poster. if you want to waltz in the door 15 mins before pearl jam goes on stage because you don't want to sit through the opener, then that is your problem.
    This is where you're wrong.
    Just flat out wrong. As "chiponmyshoulder" has verified for me ;)
    [That was a play on words, and a joke. If that was indeed you in front of me in line, which it would be too big of a coincidence to be some other random fool fighting to bring in a very obviously banned object, then I can assure you it was a lot longer than 10 seconds. And that's mainly because you (or he) tried to grab it back out of security's hand when he turned back to continue checking those of us behind in line, which held things up even further. So if you are this same punk, I stand by the fact that you were a douche. If you are not, then rest assured you were merely only a slightly lame.]
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Dude I know how Ebay works. I actually do quite a bit of selling on Ebay, buying too. I've also taken a lot of economics in college too. But what I use here is the market value. The posters, market value is $25 for about a half hour. Soon as they are bought up, price clearly doubles, due to the limited copies and the popularity of them. Bottom line is we all want a poster from the show we go to. We all wont be able to get one. We all want to pay $25 for a poster, not $150. But because there is no in place system for allowing patrons one per show and the limited copies, some will pay $25, others will pay more. So while everyone wants to make a buck or 2, a lot of us want to save those 2 bucks.

Youre also wrong. The retail value is $25 but the market value is never $25. Even before the doors open the market value is higher than retail.
    Im Rick James bitch!
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,076
    13PJ13 wrote:
    This is where you're wrong.
    Just flat out wrong. As "chiponmyshoulder" has verified for me ;)
    [That was a play on words, and a joke. If that was indeed you in front of me in line, which it would be too big of a coincidence to be some other random fool fighting to bring in a very obviously banned object, then I can assure you it was a lot longer than 10 seconds. And that's mainly because you (or he) tried to grab it back out of security's hand when he turned back to continue checking those of us behind in line, which held things up even further. So if you are this same punk, I stand by the fact that you were a douche. If you are not, then rest assured you were merely only a slightly lame.]

it wasn't me.
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,076
    Youre also wrong. The retail value is $25 but the market value is never $25. Even before the doors open the market value is higher than retail.

exactly...i can guarantee that if every poster for the remainder of pearl jam's touring career is by ames or klausen or some other artist and the print is limited, the market value (secondary market that is) will always be higher than the retail value.

the people selling the posters at the boston shows were selling one per person, but if i wanted to get a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 10th poster i could have. give my poster to a friend and go back to the booth...or go to one of the other three booths selling them.
  • JSBE wrote:
    the people selling the posters at the boston shows were selling one per person, but if i wanted to get a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 10th poster i could have. give my poster to a friend and go back to the booth...or go to one of the other three booths selling them.
    I'm still not saying this is right. I don't think anyone really is. But at least it would make you work for it. And more people would have a chance in between each poster you purchase to get their own. It's when a single person buys 10 posters at once, from a single vendor, that it's just fucked.
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • markinsandmarkinsand Posts: 184
    i know someone who does this and he's not an asshole

me, i could care less about a piece of paper, i've got a family to worry about

do you guys have jobs/families/responsibilities that you worry about shit like this?
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    okkk. well i've never bought a poster before but tomorrow at san diego i really want to. what time are we talking about to get there to grab one?
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
  • im still pissed off over what happend in detroit. they opened the doors early, let people buy more then one. blah blah blah.

but the kicker was this, some ass monkey knocked my 14 year old nephew over and took his poster and ran up the steps to get away during "kick out the jams". by the time i figured out what happend and went after the guy, security seen me coming and stopped me. they thought i was the ass. i then told them what happend and they let me return to my seat, but the guy was long gone. my sister wont let me give my nephew my poster, so im looking on ebay every freakin' day trying to find him one, without spending a small fortune. hoping i can find him one b4 his b-day in august.

the poster thing is getting out of hand at times.
    peace, love.
  • CloneClone Posts: 146
    it all comes down to g-r-e-e-d
  • pjfan9110pjfan9110 Posts: 145
    You have nobody to blame but yourself if you dont get a poster.Ive been to 9 shows so far this tour and gotten a poster everytime except for Cincy when I didnt even try because I didnt want to get to the venue until right when PJ went on.

If somebody in front of you bought 6 then you should have gotten in line before them.

By this same rational should all of us long time collectors get first dibs at posters because we have been collection for 10 years? If its about entitlement shouldnt the long term collectors who started this whole collectibility movement be rewarded before all the newbie parasites that have hopped on the poster bandwagon.

buying posters has nothing to do with entitlement....the point of the posters is that everyone has an opportunity to buy one...doesn't matter if you've been a fan for 10 years or 1. don't give me that BS about getting in line earlier...most people here would agree that someone buying six posters is not right. there are supposed to be rules in place to keep people from buying multiples and selling them on ebay...just look at ebay a day or two after the show....there are tons of posters up there for sale...yeah if you want a poster at a show the rule is get there early...but when you have certain people hoarding posters that is not fair
    1998-06-27 Alpine Valley, WI / 2000-10-08 Alpine Valley, WI / 2003-06-21 Alpine Valley, WI / 2003-04-26 Mellon Arena, PA / 2004-10-03 Grand Rapids VFC, 2006-05-17 United Center, IL / 2006-06-29 Milwaukee, WI / 2006-06-30 Milwaukke, WI / 2011-09-03 Alpine Valley PJ20 / 2011-09-04 Alpine Valley PJ20 / 2013-07-19 Wrigley Field / 2014-10-19 St. Paul / 2014-10-20 Milwaukee, WI