Don't Frack Ohio

Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Hi all!

If you are in the Ohio vicinity or are passionate about the harmful effects of fracking nationwide, please make sure you swing by Columbus June 17th and let everyone know! http://www.dontfrackoh.org/ has all the information you need plus important information on fracking. Not only does it pollute the air and water, it also causes serious social complications. YOUR health is at risk. I'm not affiliated with the group organizing, but am very passionate and want the word spread! If you are curious or have questions, let me know! :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i hope they don't frack...

but sadly, when you put a dollar bill in front of an elected official.....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    :fp:
  • Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    81 wrote:
    i hope they don't frack...

but sadly, when you put a dollar bill in front of an elected official.....

It's SO sad. I hope something like this- a peaceful demonstration that is going to have a HUGE turn-out- will maybe put more pressure and light on the severity of the situation.

I also think it's cool to have big name celebrities involved using their platform for this. Mark Ruffalo (who will be in attendance), Matt Damon, and others have come out against it.

Investing in clean energy can create jobs, especially in the state of Ohio. And these bills that are supposedly "protecting us" and making restrictions and guidelines for fracking have their fair share of loopholes...naturally.
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    I am in PA, we are already fracked
    I hope everthign gets fracked up.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    why do some wanna destroy clean water, clean air and ruin the earth all for their bunk ass greed?

i read that fracking is where they inject chemical laced high pressure water into the ground to somehow extract natural gas faster or something. i am not as educated on this topic as i should be. looks like i need to study this fracking a bit further.

can you tell us anything you may have learned about what fracking is, why they do it, and what kinds of chemicals they add to the water pumped into the earth
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

welcome to Frackville, Schuylkill County
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

I'd say so: http://www.npr.org/2012/05/14/149631363/when-fracking-comes-to-town-it-s-water-water-everywhere.

What kind of natural disasters, social disasters, etc etc. are going to have to occur before we realize the need to move past $$ and GDP, and focus on quality of life and sustainability of our natural resources?? I mean, we CAN accomplish all 3. Craziness. Anyway, this isn't the Moving Train so no need for debate, but wanted to let people know about this because it's a very important issue! Hope to see some PJ shirts there!!
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    rollings wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

welcome to Frackville, Schuylkill County

ha! wow, I know that town and I never thought of that.
  • Vermont "the Green Mountain State" is the first state to ban fracking. :thumbup:
    I hope more states follow ASAP
    chadwick wrote:
    why do some wanna destroy clean water, clean air and ruin the earth all for their bunk ass greed?

i read that fracking is where they inject chemical laced high pressure water into the ground to somehow extract natural gas faster or something. i am not as educated on this topic as i should be. looks like i need to study this fracking a bit further.

can you tell us anything you may have learned about what fracking is, why they do it, and what kinds of chemicals they add to the water pumped into the earth

Fracking_Diagram2.jpg

waxman-report-pg81.png
    DS1119 wrote:
    I hope everthign gets fracked up.

You motherfracker.
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    chadwick wrote:

There is an outstanding documentary on the topic called "Gasland."

It is highly recommended.
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    Thank you for sharing this information. I am just now hearing about this and its upsetting.
    ********************************************************************************************* image
    I realize this isn't AMT but my two cents is thank goodness a little info and a lot of speculation wasn't available about new technoligies decades ago because we would have had people protesting the development and advancement of everything and anything. As we move forward in society there are upsides and downsides of everything. Can you imagine how different the world would be if we were never allowed to mine for oil becasue somehow enough people got together and figured it was bad for society? Sure there are downsides of doing it but those upsides are certainly more beneficial.
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    DS1119 wrote:
    I realize this isn't AMT but my two cents is thank goodness a little info and a lot of speculation wasn't available about new technoligies decades ago because we would have had people protesting the development and advancement of everything and anything. As we move forward in society there are upsides and downsides of everything. Can you imagine how different the world would be if we were never allowed to mine for oil becasue somehow enough people got together and figured it was bad for society? Sure there are downsides of doing it but those upsides are certainly more beneficial.

With all due respect, do you realize what fracking does to the water supply?

People in their homes can turn on a faucet and light the water that comes out ON FIRE. This is documented in many areas of the U.S., and is a direct result of the fracking process.

The water that comes into their homes is flammable.

This isn't reversible. There are serious long term risks that are being ignored because it's profitable now.
    DS1119 wrote:
    Sure there are downsides of doing it but those upsides are certainly more beneficial.

Temporary economic boom and only about 100 years of natural gas? Then a huge bust and you end up with people in the same position they were before- with high poverty rates and high percentages of drug and alcohol abuse among the workers, etc. etc. And then what happens to these rural communities that developed infrastructure and whatnot to accommodate the people that moved there for the industry after there is no more? Plus you have it causing illnesses in people, like us and our families, environmental degradation/pollution AND manmade earthquakes. Why not put a stop to it now before we get too invested? Why not invest in other things that can create jobs and work for us in the long term that are DEFINITELY more beneficial?
    If nothing else, would you drink the water or let your family drink the water from those places that they are fracking? Doubt you would come near it.
    oona left wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

With all due respect, do you realize what fracking does to the water supply?

People in their homes can turn on a faucet and light the water that comes out ON FIRE. This is documented in many areas of the U.S., and is a direct result of the fracking process.

The water that comes into their homes is flammable.

This isn't reversible. There are serious long term risks that are being ignored because it's profitable now.

Natural gas in the ground causes this. Not fracking. This phenomen happened well before the idea of fracking ever came around that's a well known and documented fact. Conveniently that truth is left out and only the "new phenomen" of this happening is put out there for the activists to rally around. Kind of like when a gun accident happens. All the gun control activists point towards that...they convenienlty forget about the lives that have been saved by those same guns.
    Stardog3.. wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Sure there are downsides of doing it but those upsides are certainly more beneficial.

Temporary economic boom and only about 100 years of natural gas? Then a huge bust and you end up with people in the same position they were before- with high poverty rates and high percentages of drug and alcohol abuse among the workers, etc. etc. And then what happens to these rural communities that developed infrastructure and whatnot to accommodate the people that moved there for the industry after there is no more? Plus you have it causing illnesses in people, like us and our families, environmental degradation/pollution AND manmade earthquakes. Why not put a stop to it now before we get too invested? Why not invest in other things that can create jobs and work for us in the long term that are DEFINITELY more beneficial?

I really don't want to argue here but using this logic what happens when the earth's natural oil supply runs out. Should we also sit there shaking our fingers and kicking the dirt that we shouldn't have done that either?
    DS1119 wrote:
    Stardog3.. wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

I really don't want to argue here but using this logic what happens when the earth's natural oil supply runs out. Should we also sit there shaking our fingers and kicking the dirt that we shouldn't have done that either?

It's in the past. We can't reverse it. We can focus on the present and future. It's called clean renewable energy. Investing in a number of areas that are clean/renewable and creating the jobs in those areas are what we need to be doing.

And the toxic chemicals that are being injected into the ground that are not naturally found in the ground ARE polluting the water. Plus we are wasting massive amounts of water needed to frack in the first place. So you're saying why not just pollute the water as much as we can? Would you drink it? If they were fracking in your neighborhood, would let you and your kids live there?
    Stardog3.. wrote:
    It's in the past. We can't reverse it. We can focus on the present and future. It's called clean renewable energy. Investing in a number of areas that are clean/renewable and creating the jobs in those areas are what we need to be doing.

And the toxic chemicals that are being injected into the ground that are not naturally found in the ground ARE polluting the water. Plus we are wasting massive amounts of water needed to frack in the first place. So you're saying why not just pollute the water as much as we can? Would you drink it? If they were fracking in your neighborhood, would let you and your kids live there?

As soon as the majority is willing to shoulder the burden of developing the technolgy to develop and create renewable and sustainable energy thats cost effective I wouldn't hold my breath. Gas went from 1 dollar a gallon to 4 dollars a gallon in a decade here in the US so I don't think the lines are too long to donate or contribute to those causes any time soon. It's all about cheap energy now.

As your water point. Water can be filtered of toxic chemicals if need be and technically water can not be wasted. It just evaporates and comes right back down as rain. These water shortages you read about is just too many people in one given area that the infrastructure can not support. There's plenty of water on the planet. It may just not be in the places we need it to be at any given moment.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,875
    too late, wells are already growing in numbers. Hell, even th eGov is seeking to up the fees and tax to make it more in line with Texas and N Dakota. OF COURSE the drilling companies dont want that, it wol dtake away jobs. BS!!!! Too much to be made in this. The state should get theirs and use th extra as a rainy day clean up fund when those fuckers bail on their duty to clean up after themselves.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Stardog3.. wrote:
    Temporary economic boom and only about 100 years of natural gas? Then a huge bust and you end up with people in the same position they were before- with high poverty rates and high percentages of drug and alcohol abuse among the workers, etc. etc.

Look, if you're against Fracking, OK. But that's a fucking Stretch Armstrong stretch. What the hell does drug/alcohol abuse have to do with Fracking?
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    Stardog3.. wrote:
    Temporary economic boom and only about 100 years of natural gas? Then a huge bust and you end up with people in the same position they were before- with high poverty rates and high percentages of drug and alcohol abuse among the workers, etc. etc.

Look, if you're against Fracking, OK. But that's a fucking Stretch Armstrong stretch. What the hell does drug/alcohol abuse have to do with Fracking?

After the industry booms and the resources run out of the area, there's no more to frack etc. There will be high poverty rates. It is just like what happened in a lot of coal mining communities. There was also huge jumps in drug/alcohol abuse. It happened in the Pacific NW as well when they started restricting the cutting of old growth forests. If you would like detailed charts displaying those rates and explaining the social effects of these decisions, I am more than happy to post them or send them to you.

Look, I didn't want to argue here because I understand that people have different values/behaviors. We all interpret the information we read differently, depending on those values and behaviors. And a lot of us are only informed because we read selective articles and get our information from selective news sources. I don't come from any point of view. I'm not an environmentalist, activist, republican, democrat, in the clean energy or the oil business. I am in research and study economics, social science,etc. I understand that all groups in different conflicts have valid points- that's why you don't see me around here preaching about anything. I think I've posted in AMT twice. However, in the case of hydraulic fracturing, the data and evidence is too strong to ignore and I do not want that going on where I live. I posted this here for people to explore it if they want or come if they're against it. If you are for it, move on.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Stardog3.. wrote:
    Stardog3.. wrote:

After the industry booms and the resources run out of the area, there's no more to frack etc. There will be high poverty rates. It is just like what happened in a lot of coal mining communities. There was also huge jumps in drug/alcohol abuse. It happened in the Pacific NW as well when they started restricting the cutting of old growth forests. If you would like detailed charts displaying those rates and explaining the social effects of these decisions, I am more than happy to post them or send them to you.

If somebody begins abusing alcohol/drugs, that's on them, not whatever is happening in the local economy. And it's a terrible excuse anyway. If you don't have a job you shouldn't have the disposable income to spend on drugs/alcohol and have your ass busy looking for a new job.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    I'm in. Go Frack yourselves you fracking frackers
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    What's all the fracus about?
    If somebody begins abusing alcohol/drugs, that's on them, not whatever is happening in the local economy. And it's a terrible excuse anyway. If you don't have a job you shouldn't have the disposable income to spend on drugs/alcohol and have your ass busy looking for a new job.

It's just one aspect of the many reasons why fracking is not a good choice. Where are they going to get the money to relocate? Who are they going to sell their homes to? Where are they going to find jobs in these rural communities that were solely dependent on this natural resource?? And it's not anyone's place to judge how people use their money. There are many different issues people experience that contribute to addiction as many of us know. It truly is just a trend in these areas that is worthy of noting. There are so many bigger issues with hydraulic fracturing...this is just one aspect of the social effects and not being used as an excuse for anything. However, we often do not take into account the quality of life for people and how decisions being made in our communities effect that- a lot of times we just focus on two sides, business and environment. I value people as well.
    Heisenberg wrote:
    I'm in. Go Frack yourselves you fracking frackers

:lol:

I really want to make a shirt with something of that nature printed on it. Hope to see you there!