Options

PEARL JAM TO PLAY MADE IN AMERICA FESTIVAL

Comments

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,954
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    pretty good line-up besides PJ IMO

Interested in seeing Skrillex, Miike Snow, Passion Pit. Also kinda interested in seeing Jay-Z :thumbup:

I am VERY interested in seeing the Dirty Projectors (again).

i forgot they were listed on the bill s well. I'm not too familiar with them though. Only heard a song or two.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Stardog3.. wrote:
    Stardog3.. wrote:
    Where is everyone staying???

well i live kinda close so i'll be staying at my place :lol: (40 mins. west of philly :mrgreen: )

Must be niiiiice. Any suggestions for me???? :)

well there are plenty of hotels in philly :lol:

some of these suggestions might help though

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=189550&start=15
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    Guess no love for hometown festival (Bumbershoot) not to sure about the whole Jay-Z thing. Dont understand recently what is up with all of these festivals.

It's very simple.

Being the headliner of a festival, You'll make 5 to 10 times more than you would a solo show.
    And it's guaranteed. Plus you don't have to go through the logistics of setting it up.
    Win/Win for PJ & co.

Why would a money hungry band put on their own show if they could just do festivals?
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,854
    Also kinda interested in seeing Jay-Z :thumbup:

Jay-Z puts on a helluva show. Must see tv if you make the festival.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    Solat13 wrote:
    I just hope it's not like a 90 degree muggy day, because it gets packed in when concerts are on the Parkway:

live-8-concert-philadelphia-museum-of-art-duncan-pearson.jpg

Anyone wanna help build a swank treehouse to use during the festival?

I reckon we'd have to build it a few days beforehand!
  • Options

• Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    kenny olav wrote:
    I don't understand why Pearl Jam can't do a short tour or a multi-show stint in one city like Philly '09 instead of these festivals. In the past, they've played festival dates in the midst of a tour, which was great, and I love the festival experience. I go to at least one festival per year, but I understand why some people don't want to go to festivals. I love some rap music, I love a variety of music, but I want to see Pearl Jam with a Pearl Jam crowd. That's been a big part of the experience since my first PJ show in 1998 - everyone around me knowing all the songs and knowing the history of this once great touring band.

Unlike Lollapalooza '07 or Bonnaroo '08 or Alpine Valley '11, the line-ups for these '12 festivals aren't very good, especially not this Budweiser one. "Budweiser Made in America Festival" - it makes my stomach turn. And btw, Budweiser is made in America, but most of the profits are being made in Europe.

I'm psyched beyond words to be attending the Newport Folk Festival this year, but to see my once favorite band Pearl Jam at Budweiser Fest with a bunch of pop acts, I'd need an all-expense-paid trip for that, with free all-I-can-drink beer of a much higher quality than Bud. And free bud.

Either this was the only feasible way for Pearl Jam to play shows in the U.S. (why would that be? I can't think of a reason.) or, at folks are saying, Pearl Jam is doing this for a bigger paycheck. I'm sure the 3 festivals are psyched to get Pearl Jam, but at lot of Pearl Jam's long-time fans are pissed off today and I'm one of them. I see that a lot of people here are psyched about this fest, and I'm not here to to piss on anyone's parade. I'm just here to speak my mind about Pearl Jam, because I paid to be able to do that.

Looks at if from their perspective. No new album to promote, a whole tour wouldn't be as profitable. I bet they get close to what a whole tour pulls with these appearances this year. Makes sense... it will probably pay for the album since everything is in house these days.

My perspective. Jay-Z is fucking garbage. DRAKE? Whatever. There is no debating this. You all have been bamboozled. He sucks. Drake sucks. And Budweiser is everything wrong with corporations in America. Oh yeah and their product kills people.
  • Options
    jjflash wrote:

i did kinda see him at Live 8 w/Linkin Park. I was nowhere near the stage and was watching it on one of the huge screens they had set up.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    jjflash wrote:

i did kinda see him at Live 8 w/Linkin Park. I was nowhere near the stage and was watching it on one of the huge screens they had set up.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    This festival looks amazing. Jay and Pearl Jam on the same stage is something I would not expect, but Im not at all surprised. Hova is one smart business man, look at how he reaches out to rockers to cross platform. He toured as an opener for U2 on their 360 Tour in Australia and for Coldplay on their Viva La Vida Tour in Europe. He was playing to crowds of 60,000 to 110,000 (Coldplay at Wembley)

Pearl Jam and Jay are both doing this for two reasons, one being money the other branching out. Jay knows Philly loves their Pearl Jam and are guaranteed 15,000 PJ fans. On top of which he is hoping that there are x amount of those that like his music enough after seeing him to go buy some albums. Pearl Jam are looking to get some sale from Rap fans too.

Also to those bashing Jay-Z live. He is the best rapper alive and he puts on a more rock show. He comes with a full band, and can put on one hell of a show. Pearl Jam and Jay are two of the best concerts Ive ever been too. Do not hate. I wish I could afford to go, and if I could I'd be there in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    SpinTheBlackOSpinTheBlackO Posts: 385
    well this could be very cool. i for one am excited. i'm always open to new music.
    Follow the ageless tide.
    Follow the angled light.
    Follow the strangest tribe.
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    SolarWorld wrote:
    kenny olav wrote:
    I don't understand why Pearl Jam can't do a short tour or a multi-show stint in one city like Philly '09 instead of these festivals. In the past, they've played festival dates in the midst of a tour, which was great, and I love the festival experience. I go to at least one festival per year, but I understand why some people don't want to go to festivals. I love some rap music, I love a variety of music, but I want to see Pearl Jam with a Pearl Jam crowd. That's been a big part of the experience since my first PJ show in 1998 - everyone around me knowing all the songs and knowing the history of this once great touring band.

Unlike Lollapalooza '07 or Bonnaroo '08 or Alpine Valley '11, the line-ups for these '12 festivals aren't very good, especially not this Budweiser one. "Budweiser Made in America Festival" - it makes my stomach turn. And btw, Budweiser is made in America, but most of the profits are being made in Europe.

I'm psyched beyond words to be attending the Newport Folk Festival this year, but to see my once favorite band Pearl Jam at Budweiser Fest with a bunch of pop acts, I'd need an all-expense-paid trip for that, with free all-I-can-drink beer of a much higher quality than Bud. And free bud.

Either this was the only feasible way for Pearl Jam to play shows in the U.S. (why would that be? I can't think of a reason.) or, as some are saying, Pearl Jam is doing this for a bigger paycheck. I'm sure the 3 festivals are psyched to get Pearl Jam, but a lot of Pearl Jam's long-time fans are pissed off today and I'm one of them. I see that a lot of people here are psyched about this fest, and I'm not here to to piss on anyone's parade. I'm just here to speak my mind about Pearl Jam, because I paid to be able to do that.

Looks at if from their perspective. No new album to promote, a whole tour wouldn't be as profitable. I bet they get close to what a whole tour pulls with these appearances this year. Makes sense... it will probably pay for the album since everything is in house these days.

My perspective. Jay-Z is fucking garbage. DRAKE? Whatever. There is no debating this. You all have been bamboozled. He sucks. Drake sucks. And Budweiser is everything wrong with corporations in America. Oh yeah and their product kills people.

good point about no new album. however, if they are playing at least 3 shows, why not a short tour or multi-show stint in one place? I don't know. I don't want to suspect anything. I just don't get it.
  • Options
    kenny olav wrote:
    good point about no new album. however, if they are playing at least 3 shows, why not a short tour or multi-show stint in one place? I don't know. I don't want to suspect anything. I just don't get it.

They have to take a stage, pay a huge crew on the road. They just have to bring equipment and techs for these shows. Easy phat paydays.
  • Options
    Also to those bashing Jay-Z live. He is the best rapper alive and he puts on a more rock show. He comes with a full band, and can put on one hell of a show. Pearl Jam and Jay are two of the best concerts Ive ever been too. Do not hate. I wish I could afford to go, and if I could I'd be there in a heartbeat.

The Roots > Jay Z (exponentially)

Black Thought > Jay Z (exponentially)

See more hip hop shows.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I'm gonna laugh if Justin Beiber ends up being one of the 'artists' at this festival...isn't he 'thisclose' to Jay Z?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    sheri zonasheri zona Makai Side Posts: 356
    Last week Jay invited Obama to speak at the festival. The odds of him doing it are a billion to one, but if he does the security getting into the festival is going to be nuts.

I kind of agree about wanting to see PJ with an entire PJ crowd, there's nothing like it. However, if they are going to do festivals and it's the only chance to see them then hey, it's better than not getting to see them at all. Wish I could make it, I love Philly but I'll be on the side of a mountain on Kawaii somewhere :mrgreen:

@ justin beiber...I just laughed so hard I snorted haha
    in an underwater nation...near chinamans hat
  • Options
    KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    :P
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Better lineup than PJ20.
  • Options
    RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    Kat wrote:
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    I got 99 problems but this festival ain't one.

Count me in!! Pearl Jam and Jay-Z on the same ticket. I couldn't ask for more. Oh wait, I could. D'Angelo. Done. Hell yeah. 8-)
    wonder if D'angelo will perform naked? ;)

This artist is no longer part of the lineup. I'm sorry...don't know why. We updated the OP.

Break my heart, Kat, Break my heart!! ;) ...It's all good. I'm stoked as hell! I'll just dream of D'Angelo... 8-)
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • Options
    RKCNDY wrote:
    I think I'm gonna save my money for Bridge school, or a west coast date...Florida would be cool, but, ugghhh...i dunno.

Same boat :)
  • Options
    afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    RYEzupSF wrote:

Break my heart, Kat, Break my heart!! ;) ...It's all good. I'm stoked as hell! I'll just dream of D'Angelo... 8-)

are you still going to deluna?
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    SolarWorld wrote:
    kenny olav wrote:

They have to take a stage, pay a huge crew on the road. They just have to bring equipment and techs for these shows. Easy phat paydays.

some have made the point that DMB and Phish still tour every year... of course they tour A LOT... PJ, with all their commitments this year with their side projects, I understand cannot tour a lot. and I love the side-projects, generally speaking (except Brad, sorry Stone), and I want them to keep doing that... Eddie puts on a great solo show... Tres Mts was incredible last year... but if think they need to consider the Pearl Jam fans who are no spring chickens anymore. i'm almost 36... i'm entering another marketing demographic... it's crazy. festivals can be a bit much for us older kids ;) is the payday that phat as opposed to doing their own shows (at $80+ per ticket)? i admittedly don't know the business side of it. i'm just dissapointed that there's no way to see Pearl Jam this year that makes sense for me.
  • Options
    KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Solat13 wrote:
    I just hope it's not like a 90 degree muggy day, because it gets packed in when concerts are on the Parkway:

live-8-concert-philadelphia-museum-of-art-duncan-pearson.jpg

where the hell is parking going to be? That is just about the worst part of Philly to get to.
    The Ben Franklin Parkway! They shut the whole street/bridge down.
  • Options
    RKCNDY wrote:
    I'm gonna laugh if Justin Beiber ends up being one of the 'artists' at this festival...isn't he 'thisclose' to Jay Z?

i was thinking of that at work today :lol:

or whoemever the hottest country artist is right now, Taylor Swift?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    iamloco724iamloco724 Brooklyn NY Posts: 1,441
    RKCNDY wrote:

either way wont matter to me im sure something decent will be going on when hes there and theres only 2 days and we know jay is headlining one pearl jam the other so dont matter whats in the middle lol
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,659
    SolarWorld wrote:

The Roots > Jay Z (exponentially)

Black Thought > Jay Z (exponentially)

See more hip hop shows.

while my preference here would be the roots and black thought, it's only a matter of opinion. a lot of hip hop heads would actually disagree with you here. and the roots are going to play the fest as well, so it's really an irrelevant point.
  • Options
    63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    Actually you may have a point with the better lineup than PJ20. I mean the Strokes are one of my faves so besides them I could do without the other bands. But I still made the trip out because I was not going to miss them. It's nice because most of the bands aren't even announce yet.

And I heard Eddie is doing a duet with Beibs for the Xmas Single
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    CropsmokerCropsmoker Posts: 209
    I'm easily one of the most hip hop savvy Pearl Jam fans there are and Jay Z IS NOT, nor is even close to being the best rapper alive!! That's a fucking joke! Dude is garbage like some others have said in this thread.

I don't know what Pearl Jam believes or stands for anymore. Once upon a time I could count on seeing pretty much eye to eye with Ed. Now? I really feel like I don't even know this band anymore. You're not supposed to lose your integrity when you get old and have kids. You're supposed to pass them on to your children so they can pass them on to theirs. But whatever...they wanna be a festival band now and whore themselves under a corporate logo that's their choice.

I'd prob go to this if they had some better talent or some "real" rap acts on the list.
    "Music's at its best when it has a purpose." EV
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    PJ on the BUDWEISER MADE IN AMERICA FEST? :problem:

Maybe Jay-Z will get up and do the rap vocal for "Real Thing"
  • Options
    SpinTheBlackOSpinTheBlackO Posts: 385
    well this could be very cool. i for one am excited. i'm always open to new music.
    Follow the ageless tide.
    Follow the angled light.
    Follow the strangest tribe.
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,659
    Actually you may have a point with the better lineup than PJ20. I mean the Strokes are one of my faves so besides them I could do without the other bands. But I still made the trip out because I was not going to miss them. It's nice because most of the bands aren't even announce yet.

And I heard Eddie is doing a duet with Beibs for the Xmas Single

this lineup is definitely better than pj20 for me, and the bulk of it is unannounced. I understand that people are upset about the budweiser sponsorship and such, but i'm really shocked at how much people dislike jay-z on this board. and i think if people would look into the festival a little more, instead of just assuming they know all of the details, including the intentions of the performers on the bill, then maybe they'd lighten up a bit. i haven't seen pj since 2010, and i've never seen jay-z, so i'm really lookin forward to labor day weekend.
This discussion has been closed.