Options

Gaslight Anthem

Comments

• Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,495
    I love this band. Maybe because they are from where I'm from makes me like than more. I just want to see them succeed. I wasn't there last night but was Friday. I've seen them 10 times in the past year and I can tell you that I'm not shocked but Brian's statements. They are burnt outa little. At least he is.

I think the problem is they need to figure out what band they want to be. Do they want to be a "punk" band that tours constantly and plays places like Pier 26 and Irving plaza? Do they want to be Pearl jam? They have said both and it's brian steering the ship, so he had to decide before they fade out. This band can be huge. They will be. Brian just needs to develop thicker skin.

Take some time. Get focused and come back the band you want to be.
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    edited July 2013
    Post edited by FrankieG on
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    Membership renewals active now
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828

on that site where we first signed up?
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    Kathi wrote:

on that site where we first signed up?

Believe so, I just got the email yesterday with links to renewals. Honestly, it looks like you just buy the package again and they keep your old number active.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    Believe so, I just got the email yesterday with links to renewals. Honestly, it looks like you just buy the package again and they keep your old number active.

Hopefully the fan club steps it up a little in the 2nd year. There still isn't an official forum...
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    I'm too young to be a Springsteen fan and too old to be a Gaslight fan... well, that's my theory anyway... they seem like respectable musicians, but they don't do much for me and I'm okay with that.
  • Options
    And I know Springsteen has fans of all ages, but I was weaned on Van Halen and Quiet Riot so I just can't get into anyone who doesn't want to crank out some obnoxious guitar distortion now and then.
  • Options
    rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    kenny olav wrote:
    And I know Springsteen has fans of all ages, but I was weaned on Van Halen and Quiet Riot so I just can't get into anyone who doesn't want to crank out some obnoxious guitar distortion now and then.

Great, thanks for your pointless comment.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Options
    kenny olav wrote:

Great, thanks for your pointless comment.

I still like it.

Even though it's half-bullshit, because I actually have many of Springsteen's earliest albums... I have everything from Asbury Park to Nebraska on CD... I just rarely listen to them...

and here's another thing... not too long ago I saw a video of Brian Fallon performing No Surrender with Bruce Springsteen at some festival (Glastonbury?) and I thought it was really really cool... you could tell Brian was emotional but he held his own and delivered the verses he had to sing awesomely.......
    he dances kinda funny tho... heheh...

I may be primarily into heavy shit, but I can appreciate shit like that... youngsters rocking out with their musical heros.... I dunno... sometimes I listen to really mellow stuff so maybe I should shut the fuck up... never mind me... I type pointless shit sometimes... I guess because it's the fucking internet and it's easy to do...
  • Options
    BerasapjBerasapj Posts: 292
    Video of the moment Brian wa refering to in the tumblr post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... bNx-Rz0l-E
    Manchester 1&2 2012

Waiting for the next PJ euro Tour

Hoping not to get drown in the wave of life
  • Options
    rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    Berasapj wrote:

WTF is he so upset about? If that is what started the rant, then I think he over reacted big time.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    I'm torn. My buddy won tickets to a festival show tonight featuring the Gaslight Anthem. Problem is, they're playing the 6:35-7:20 slot, and I have ZERO interest in the other artists at the show. The artist following them is a solo musician whose instrument is credited as a laptop; good on him, but that really isn't my scene. After that is an "Indietronica/Alternative Dance" band -- again, that's just not my cup of tea. I love tGA, but I don't know if it's worth the hour on public transit in the middle of a popular street festival/parade in my city.
  • Options
    I respect any artists decisions. And true artists change and morph and go wherever their muse takes them.

That said, I think he shouldnt have even engaged with the fans. The Bruce influence is extremely overt. it would be like Tallest man on Earth refusing to interact with any journalist who brought up a Dylan comparison. They performed with Bruce, or Brian did, they come from NJ, their early stuff referenced cars, and girls and hard times like any Bruce song does, Brian's voice does sound like Bruce, and Brian has stated the profound impact hearing Bruce for the first time had on his life trajectory.

Fans call out stuff. Thats just what they do. I attend hundreds of shows a year. Happens with unknown bands, and huge bands.

Seems like to Brian its deeply personal. They've moved on, I guess, Bruce isnt a major influence now.

What would Thom do if someone yelled Creep? Im sure they do every single show. He just doesnt engage. Or Dylan. You dont think at every show someone yells "play such and such". Bob doesnt even respond. His job as an artist is to push the boundaries and follow his muse. if that muse isnt Bruce, thats fine. But if your entire sound is Bruce influenced, and GA sound is, then audience members acting like that is expected. What Brian should have done was when he heard the Bruce shout. He should have walked away and played GA songs. No need to even engage at all
  • Options
    I love this band. Maybe because they are from where I'm from makes me like than more. I just want to see them succeed. I wasn't there last night but was Friday. I've seen them 10 times in the past year and I can tell you that I'm not shocked but Brian's statements. They are burnt outa little. At least he is.

I think the problem is they need to figure out what band they want to be. Do they want to be a "punk" band that tours constantly and plays places like Pier 26 and Irving plaza? Do they want to be Pearl jam? They have said both and it's brian steering the ship, so he had to decide before they fade out. This band can be huge. They will be. Brian just needs to develop thicker skin.

I dont sense any debate within Brian. Its clear he has chosen a side and a new sound. His problem is the problem any artist faces when they create a sound and base 3 or 4 albums off that sound. Then when the artist wants to do something different, you have to deal with fans who want the "old" band back, or the old sound back.

To me, its clear the guy decided what he wants the band to be. Its just a matter of if fans of GA will follow him on the journey.
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829

I dont sense any debate within Brian. Its clear he has chosen a side and a new sound. His problem is the problem any artist faces when they create a sound and base 3 or 4 albums off that sound. Then when the artist wants to do something different, you have to deal with fans who want the "old" band back, or the old sound back.

To me, its clear the guy decided what he wants the band to be. Its just a matter of if fans of GA will follow him on the journey.

Exactly. True fans will follow.
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,495

Exactly. True fans will follow.

I agree, all valid points
  • Options
    Anyone going to the Shindig Festival in Baltimore? 8-)
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    BerasapjBerasapj Posts: 292
    Berasapj wrote:

WTF is he so upset about? If that is what started the rant, then I think he over reacted big time.

For what I red seems that the Bruuuuce chants had been going on for a while, so I think that, that was the moment he got fed up and 'exploded'
    Manchester 1&2 2012

Waiting for the next PJ euro Tour

Hoping not to get drown in the wave of life
  • Options

I'm sorry but Brian is sooooo wrong here.

1. It was a bad bit. Very hacky to cover those pop tunes. Almost insulting to the fanbase. It's like Brian is saying... I have so much power up on stage, I can get these suckers to sing vanilla ice, lady gaga, AND Bon jovi. That wasn't the intent... But it was a stupid bit!
    2. He lost his crowd. That's not the fans fault, it's his fault.
    3. His Bruce frustration runneth over... It's not fair to take It out on everyone. Poor timing.

And then he closed with Baba. So he knows the difference between a good cover and a bad one? I'm sorry... Some time to understand and I still don't get his hissy fit.
    9.29.96, 8.28.98, 9.1.00, 7.5.03, 9.30.05, 6.1.06, 6.19.08, 6.20.08, 6.24.08, 10.27.09, 10.28.09, 10.30.09, 5.20.10, 9.3.11, 9.4.11, 9.2.12, 7.19.13...

2013- Brooklyn2, Philly1, Philly2, NOLA
  • Options
    FrankieG wrote:
    I'll be there in the VIP
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    FrankieG wrote:
    I'll be there in the VIP

Nice! VIP was sold out when I got my ticket last week... SHould still be a fun day. Who else are you planning to see? Did they release a schedule yet?
  • Options
    EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    anybody dig the Horrible Crowes record? truly listened to it for the first time this weekend, and I have to say, its very good.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • Options
    hammahamma Posts: 88
    EZ1221C wrote:
    anybody dig the Horrible Crowes record? truly listened to it for the first time this weekend, and I have to say, its very good.
    Great album! Live disc/DVD coming out in September on Side One Dummy
  • Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    EZ1221C wrote:

I really liked it - took a few listens a first, but it defitinitely grew on me - Blood Loss is one of my favourite songs by anyone!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    FrankieG wrote:
    FrankieG wrote:
    I'll be there in the VIP

Nice! VIP was sold out when I got my ticket last week... SHould still be a fun day. Who else are you planning to see? Did they release a schedule yet?

Besides TGA I'm really looking forward to the Bosstones and of course drop kick Murphy's. not sure what to expect with Joan jett
  • Options
    FrankieG wrote:
    FrankieG wrote:
    I'll be there in the VIP

Besides TGA I'm really looking forward to the Bosstones and of course drop kick Murphy's. not sure what to expect with Joan jett
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

I would be so butt hurt if this band fades out. I think these guys can be the real deal, and are the real deal. Big pops for being from dirty jersey to. Lived 18 years of my life there.
  • Options

Definitely the murphys!
    Yeah I saw the bossstones this past May, which I only knew their hit song...
    Joan Jett puts on an ok show, saw her at Midtown Atlanta last year.
  • Options
    hammahamma Posts: 88
    FrankieG wrote:

Definitely the murphys!
    Yeah I saw the bossstones this past May, which I only knew their hit song...
    Joan Jett puts on an ok show, saw her at Midtown Atlanta last year.

Being from Boston I've seen the Bosstones & Dropkicks countless times. Both put on great live shows but I think the Bosstones are better. The Dropkicks basically took everthing the Bosstones did and play irish influenced punk vs ska punk.