Bank of America

8181 Posts: 58,276
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
(Reuters) - Bank of America Corp is planning to introduce a monthly fee for its customers holding checking accounts unless they agree to bank online, buy more products or maintain certain balances, the Wall Street Journal said.

The report on the new fee initiative at the nation's second-largest bank comes after it had faced a major consumer backlash last year when it disclosed plans for a $5-per-month debit card fee, forcing the bank to drop the plan.

Bank of America pilot programs in Arizona, Georgia and Massachusetts now are experimenting with charging $6 to $9 a month for an "Essentials" account, the paper said.

The options being tested include monthly charges of $9, $12, $15 and $25 but give customers opportunities to avoid the payments by maintaining minimum balances, using a credit card or taking a mortgage with the bank, the Journal said, citing a memo distributed to employees.

Banks, in general, are looking for ways to build revenue lost to new regulations that curb debit card swipe fees.

Bank of America could not immediately be reached for comment outside regular U.S. business hours.

so glad i have a nice little credit union to deal with.
81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    that's robbery/extortion, plain and simple

and credit unions are definitely the way to go
  • Ridiculous.
    The FDIC shut down my local bank last year and it was sold to Trustmark....now I pay $8 whenever my bank account dips below, I think, $700 or maybe $600....I'm far from wealthy so that's every month. Fuckin crooks the lot of 'em
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Ridiculous.
    The FDIC shut down my local bank last year and it was sold to Trustmark....now I pay $8 whenever my bank account dips below, I think, $700 or maybe $600....I'm far from wealthy so that's every month. Fuckin crooks the lot of 'em

Credit Union....

my minimum balance is 25 in savings...as long as checking stays above a negative number all is well.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    yes please stick with small banks and credit unions. bank of america is a fucking greedy pile of shit. i banked with them for a little while. i musta been out of my bloody mind. they stole money from me because i had inadequate funds. i was naive and ill informed. i am very sure they got me for several hundreds of dollars over the course of banking with bank of america.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Ridiculous.
    this was me and it was insane. and the fee was way more than $8.00. if memory serves it was like $25.00

steal from the poor. that's what big business does. everyone at BOA should exit that bank with their coin and run away and fast.

i honestly hope BOA goes flat broke and all the big shots rot away in the sun with horrorific problems.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    my checking account currently has $36 in it....no worries, no fee's. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    i have a question for you or anyone for that matter. if my checking account goes lower than they like, why fine a guy? why does it matter what i have in checking?

i hate BOA with the passion. to me they are = to crooked lawyers and crooked big business. despise is a good word to describe my feelings on BOA. why can't everyone bank elsewhere? to the poorer folks who bank with BOA, it is a great disservice to themselves to remain customers of BOA.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Good thing I use a local bank.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    chadwick wrote:
    81 wrote:
    i have a question for you or anyone for that matter. if my checking account goes lower than they like, why fine a guy? why does it matter what i have in checking?

i hate BOA with the passion. to me they are = to crooked lawyers and crooked big business. despise is a good word to describe my feelings on BOA. why can't everyone bank elsewhere? to the poorer folks who bank with BOA, it is a great disservice to themselves to remain customers of BOA.

they say it costs a forture for a bank to hold your money
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Ha, ha, ha. This is funny. You guys realize BofA doesn't give a crap about your $36. They don't care if you use your local credit union. They want folks that will generate them income, and you ain't doin' it. So, stand up for your cause!!! Nobody cares.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • chadwick wrote:
    81 wrote:

I love how folks look at this. They feel excluded from something, so it's bad. Who cares? You don't use them. Move along.

And it's not a fine. It's a fee. And you're free not to pay it and bank elsewhere.
    Ha, ha, ha. This is funny. You guys realize BofA doesn't give a crap about your $36. They don't care if you use your local credit union. They want folks that will generate them income, and you ain't doin' it. So, stand up for your cause!!! Nobody cares.
    they will care when every hard working american says fuck you to them. and it will happen. BOA will fall and fall hard. BOA will crumble in the name of "big business greed"

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Ha, ha, ha. This is funny. You guys realize BofA doesn't give a crap

and that's what makes it sad....

if we (customers) suck so bad, and are so painful (costly) for them to deal with...why bother....stick to their toxic asset bundling and corporate raiding.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    chadwick wrote:
    81 wrote:

probably because you are considered a 'high risk' account holder.

Someone who is able to maintain a minimum of let's say $1000 is considered 'responsible' and 'secure' the bank can count on having that money as an asset to cover their ass should they need it...it increases their 'overall worth'...some guy who only has like $200 would probably be considered 'high risk' and they can't count on that piddly amount for their assets.

The more money a bank can maintain, probably receives some sort of kickbacks from the government.

Or at least this is the way I see it. A checking account is a checking account. I understand charging fees for overdrafts, but really, to make people have a minimum that most cannot afford is ridiculous....I'm looking at YOU Key Bank who has a $1000 daily minimum for a 'Basic Checking' account!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • that's robbery/extortion, plain and simple

How so? Are they forcing you to use their services? I think you should look up the definition of extortion. You can only be "extorted" in this situation if you choose to be (in which case, it's neither extortion nor robbery).

And, I don't use BofA. Not my cup of tea. But, I do have an account with one of the big boys, as well as having accounts for myself and my kids at a credit union.

Our world (thankfully) is not 1 size fits all.
    chadwick wrote:
    Ha, ha, ha. This is funny. You guys realize BofA doesn't give a crap about your $36. They don't care if you use your local credit union. They want folks that will generate them income, and you ain't doin' it. So, stand up for your cause!!! Nobody cares.
    they will care when every hard working american says fuck you to them. and it will happen. BOA will fall and fall hard. BOA will crumble in the name of "big business greed"

until the .gov steps in.... :lol: nothing is too big to fail...they should have let them go belly up.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    No checking fees for me with Chase with direct deposit. Savings is with ING...they have actual interest on a savings account! Crazy!
    BOA is the sneaky bank that hides all the bells and whistle and alarms that they have written out in customer service agreements and contracts.

they do not tell you all the fees and penalties one gets when their account runs lower than the bank likes. this is how they fucked me. i was naive and just wanted a bank, i was new to the area and didn't know a fucking thing.

so for that BOA stole from me

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    81 wrote:
    Ha, ha, ha. This is funny. You guys realize BofA doesn't give a crap

and that's what makes it sad....

if we (customers) suck so bad, and are so painful (costly) for them to deal with...why bother....stick to their toxic asset bundling and corporate raiding.
    thank you, 81. we the people are worthless to big business these fucks will fall, they will sink and sink painfully.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    Credit Unions guarenteed by gov't?

Banks up here in CAN, cover up to 100k if they were to go under.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • RKCNDY wrote:
    probably because you are considered a 'high risk' account holder.

Someone who is able to maintain a minimum of let's say $1000 is considered 'responsible' and 'secure' the bank can count on having that money as an asset to cover their ass should they need it...it increases their 'overall worth'...some guy who only has like $200 would probably be considered 'high risk' and they can't count on that piddly amount for their assets.

The more money a bank can maintain, probably receives some sort of kickbacks from the government.

Or at least this is the way I see it. A checking account is a checking account. I understand charging fees for overdrafts, but really, to make people have a minimum that most cannot afford is ridiculous....I'm looking at YOU Key Bank who has a $1000 daily minimum for a 'Basic Checking' account!

You were right on target until you got the the gov't kick backs thing. The grassy knoll. I know. So funny how paranoid folks are.

No, there are real expenses associated with keeping accounts (the evil lawyers and such). However, if you keep enough money there, they can make enough on the float (loaning money out to other banks, etc.) to make it worth their while not to charge. Smaller accounts don't generate the income, and come with the risk you allude to in that you are more likely to liquidate and they have to find the loan money somewhere else.

How do local credit unions do it? By offering fewer services. Nothing wrong with that. The fact is most services the big banks offer aren't relevant to most people. So, you are correct in saying there's not need to bank there.

Both kinds of banks serve their purpose. Everyone just has to wisely choose what benefits them the most. And if that moves BofA to a point where they need to stop charging, they will. It's happened before.

How so? Are they forcing you to use their services? I think you should look up the definition of extortion. You can only be "extorted" in this situation if you choose to be (in which case, it's neither extortion nor robbery).

And, I don't use BofA. Not my cup of tea. But, I do have an account with one of the big boys, as well as having accounts for myself and my kids at a credit union.

when a naive truck driver needs a bank, BOA will fuck them and fuck them good once their checking account is low

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • No checking fees for me with Chase with direct deposit. Savings is with ING...they have actual interest on a savings account! Crazy!

This. I think most big banks give free accounts with direct deposit. I'm not even sure why you'd need this incentive. Direct deposit is a thing of beauty. (other than my wife can spend it all before I even see it. But, I'm not sure direct deposit really effects that).
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    81 wrote:
    (Reuters) - Bank of America Corp is planning to introduce a monthly fee for its customers holding checking accounts unless they agree to bank online, buy more products or maintain certain balances, the Wall Street Journal said.

The report on the new fee initiative at the nation's second-largest bank comes after it had faced a major consumer backlash last year when it disclosed plans for a $5-per-month debit card fee, forcing the bank to drop the plan.

Bank of America pilot programs in Arizona, Georgia and Massachusetts now are experimenting with charging $6 to $9 a month for an "Essentials" account, the paper said.

The options being tested include monthly charges of $9, $12, $15 and $25 but give customers opportunities to avoid the payments by maintaining minimum balances, using a credit card or taking a mortgage with the bank, the Journal said, citing a memo distributed to employees.

Banks, in general, are looking for ways to build revenue lost to new regulations that curb debit card swipe fees.

Bank of America could not immediately be reached for comment outside regular U.S. business hours.

That is one big steaming pile of bullshit.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • chadwick wrote:

when a naive truck driver needs a bank, BOA will fuck them and fuck them good once their checking account is low

I agree with you. And your post above. Full disclosure should be made. But, that goes both ways. You have to want to listen. BofA is not trying to screw anyone. But, I do think that folks should be more dilligent in understanding the services they are accepting. Do you think they WANT to make money $9 at a time?
    I agree with you. And your post above. Full disclosure should be made. But, that goes both ways. You have to want to listen. BofA is not trying to screw anyone. But, I do think that folks should be more dilligent in understanding the services they are accepting. Do you think they WANT to make money $9 at a time?
    stop it. you know fullwell that if they get $9.00 from me they are collecting $9.00 from, let's say, 400,000 people on any given day, 7 days a week.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • chadwick wrote:
    stop it. you know fullwell that if they get $9.00 from me they are collecting $9.00 from, let's say, 400,000 people on any given day, 7 days a week.
    I wish I had a good deal like that going...I damn sure wouldn't be working in this shit hole everyday
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    81 wrote:

love my credit union...just wish they had a more user friendly website.
    www.myspace.com
    just for fun, i pulled up their 10K....wow...it's a tough read. :lol:

but scanning thru...on deposits, the had 12.7B in revenue and 1.2B in net income

on card services...18.1B in revenue and 5.8B in net income....wow...no wonder they can afford to give t shirts out to every college student. :lol:

looks like global commercial banking is where it's at. only 10.6B in revenue, but 4.4B in net income. that's 42% for those scoring at home. wow.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    edited March 2012
    did you know at many banking institutions in Washington state a guy can't even change in their coins for paper money? i have tried. and when i lived out there i drove semi. i had coins falling out of my truck. i tried changing coins into paper money. not happening.

this even @ Bank of America in Westport, Wa. the BOA branch in Westport, Wa does not even have a coin counter. to get my coffee can of quarters, dimes, nickels and pennies counted and exchanged for bills, i had to physically count and put my coins into paper rolls.

can you believe this?

and here in hillbilly redneck small towns iowa, i can change my coin into paper money all day long. funny how banking works throughout this country.
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce