Options

Dorky stuff about the Universe

Comments

• Options
    lol. i'm just a curious george.
    here is one from Harvard mag:
    Light and matter united

read that shit.
    They turned light in to matter, and BACK in to light again.

WTF.
    okay?
    HUH?
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    The date the earth will come to an end!

http://www.tested.com/inventern/458237- ... d%3D380846

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    Light and matter united

read that shit.

WTF.
    okay?
    HUH?

wow awesome !!!!!!! while reading the artical I kept thinking about the atom bomb...wasn't that done by spliting an atom ?
    and another question if the atoms were not clumped together then there must be some kind of energy around each one .....I'm way out of my leage here so forgive my questions if they're sounding stupid.

Godfather.
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:
    Light and matter united

read that shit.

WTF.
    okay?
    HUH?

wow awesome !!!!!!! while reading the artical I kept thinking about the atom bomb...wasn't that done by spliting an atom ?
    and another question if the atoms were not clumped together then there must be some kind of energy around each one .....I'm way out of my leage here so forgive my questions if they're sounding stupid.

Godfather.

I'm not really sure I get your question. Of course, this stuff is so confusing, I have a hard time expressing my own questions intelligently. Atomic reactions of uranium and plutonium are interesting.
    Link: http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/top ... tomic-bomb

I have a very hard time still wrapping my brain around all things atomic. Chemistry and electromagnetism (the singular force that runs the universe regardless of sciences failure to understand the unified field) are enigmas. Our "picture" of the atom is questionable. The "nucleus" is a non-thing, and quantum physicists abandoned the still popularly held concept of the electron behind in the mid 1920's. To make it more confusing still, if a layperson tries to get a handle on quantum physics he is liable to grossly misunderstand the universe, because their "laws" are Solely intended to account for statistical problems. Interpreting their mathmatical significance in to literal pictures of reality leads to a contradictory and inaccurate account of things.

Thats all I got for now. :/
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    Some Strange Things Are Happening To Astronauts Returning To Earth
    Who would have thought traveling to outer space could be such a profound experience? OK, probably everybody, but these former astronauts really articulate it in a way that was just a little mind-blowing.

http://www.upworthy.com/some-strange-th ... g=2&c=ufb2

That was pretty kool.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/1 ... 24148.html

Just one more thing to possibly worry about in our future.

Peace

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721
    g under p wrote:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/19/asteroid-earth-2032-planet-nasa_n_4124148.html

Just one more thing to possibly worry about in our future.

Peace

Great photos of asteroid craters at the end of the article. I've tried to imagine seeing something like that coming to earth. What it would look like, how it would feel. One last intense ride. Hopefully I would just stay calm and take it in with awe.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    http://workshop.chromeexperiments.com/stars/

An interactive map of our galaxy, this is real cool.

Peace

• Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    Chemistry and electromagnetism (the singular force that runs the universe regardless of sciences failure to understand the unified field) are enigmas. Our "picture" of the atom is questionable. The "nucleus" is a non-thing, and quantum physicists abandoned the still popularly held concept of the electron behind in the mid 1920's. To make it more confusing still, if a layperson tries to get a handle on quantum physics he is liable to grossly misunderstand the universe, because their "laws" are Solely intended to account for statistical problems. Interpreting their mathmatical significance in to literal pictures of reality leads to a contradictory and inaccurate account of things.

emot-heartbeat.gif
  • Options
    wake up early tomorrow morning (nov 3), if you live in eastern north America ...or Africa

partial solar eclipse

http://earthsky.org/space/how-to-watch- ... pse-online
  • Options
    Night of November 4, look towards the Pleiades for the taurid meteor shower

2013-november-south-taurid-meteor-night-sky-chart.jpg
  • Options
    study says there are more habitibal earth-like planets than there are humans to inhabit them:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/arts-and-life/life/sci_tech/nasa-telescope-22-per-cent-of-stars-like-our-sun-have-earth-sized-planets-not-too-hot-nor-cold-230547351.html

WASHINGTON - Space is vast, but it may not be so lonely after all: A study finds the Milky Way is teeming with billions of planets that are about the size of Earth, orbit stars just like our sun, and exist in the Goldilocks zone — not too hot and not too cold for life.

Astronomers using NASA data have calculated for the first time that in our galaxy alone, there are at least 8.8 billion stars with Earth-size planets in the habitable temperature zone.

The study was published Monday in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Science.

For perspective, that's more Earth-like planets than there are people on Earth.

As for what it says about the odds that there is life somewhere out there, it means "just in our Milky Way galaxy alone, that's 8.8 billion throws of the biological dice," said study co-author Geoff Marcy, a longtime planet hunter from the University of California at Berkeley.

The next step, scientists say, is to look for atmospheres on these planets with powerful space telescopes that have yet to be launched. That would yield further clues to whether any of these planets do, in fact, harbour life.

The findings also raise a blaring question, Marcy said: If we aren't alone, why is "there a deafening silence in our Milky Way galaxy from advanced civilizations?"

In the Milky Way, about 1 in 5 stars that are like our sun in size, colour and age have planets that are roughly Earth's size and are in the habitable zone where life-crucial water can be liquid, according to intricate calculations based on four years of observations from NASA's now-crippled Kepler telescope.

If people on Earth could only travel in deep space, "you'd probably see a lot of traffic jams," Bill Borucki, NASA's chief Kepler scientist, joked Monday.

The Kepler telescope peered at 42,000 stars, examining just a tiny slice of our galaxy to see how many planets like Earth are out there. Scientists then extrapolated that figure to the rest of the galaxy, which has hundreds of billions of stars.

For the first time, scientists calculated — not estimated — what per cent of stars that are just like our sun have planets similar to Earth: 22 per cent, with a margin of error of plus or minus 8 percentage points.

Kepler scientist Natalie Batalha said there is still more data to pore over before this can be considered a final figure.

There are about 200 billion stars in our galaxy, with 40 billion of them like our sun, Marcy said. One of his co-authors put the number of sun-like stars closer to 50 billion, meaning there would be at least 11 billion planets like ours.

Based on the 1-in-5 estimate, the closest Earth-size planet that is in the habitable temperature zone and circles a sun-like star is probably within 70 trillion miles (113 trillion kilometres)of Earth, Marcy said.

And the 8.8 billion Earth-size planets figure is only a start. That's because scientists were looking only at sun-like stars, which are not the most common stars.

An earlier study found that 15 per cent of the more common red dwarf stars have Earth-size planets that are close-in enough to be in the not-too-hot, not-too-cold Goldilocks Zone.

Put those together and that's probably 40 billion right-size, right-place planets, Marcy said.

And that's just our galaxy. There are billions of other galaxies.

Scientists at a Kepler science conference Monday said they have found 833 new candidate planets with the space telescope, bringing the total of planets they've spotted to 3,538, but most aren't candidates for life.

Kepler has identified only 10 planets that are about Earth's size circling sun-like stars and are in the habitable zone, including one called Kepler 69-c.

Because there are probably hundreds of planets missed for every one found, the study did intricate extrapolations to come up with the 22 per cent figure — a calculation that outside scientists say is fair.

"Everything they've done looks legitimate," said Sara Seager, an astronomer at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    thought you all might like this.

Godfather.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/13/us/nasa-s ... ?hpt=hp_t1
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Here's a thought, mite not be to bright but it's a thought. Imagine when you die, you become your "own" galaxy. There's hundreds of billions of galaxies out there and who's to say that doesn't happen to us. It's deeper then that but I dumbed it down a bit. People say instead of god we're one with the universe, maybe that's a theory or maybe I'm just to stoned! Maybe you become a sun and get your very own galaxy! Ok, now I know I'm really stoned! 8-)
  • Options
    badbrains wrote:
    Here's a thought, mite not be to bright but it's a thought. Imagine when you die, you become your "own" galaxy. There's hundreds of billions of galaxies out there and who's to say that doesn't happen to us. It's deeper then that but I dumbed it down a bit. People say instead of god we're one with the universe, maybe that's a theory or maybe I'm just to stoned! Maybe you become a sun and get your very own galaxy! Ok, now I know I'm really stoned! 8-)

here's a thought, our bodies are made up of zillions of protons/nutrons and under the protons are energy...mass energy so maybe we are a galaxy for the many forms of life living on in and around us...... :shock:

Godfather.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    badbrains wrote:
    So earlier, the dude and I christened my MM card with a "freebie" joint of some delicious Indica from a kickass local dispensary (I LOVE this place, and the people who work there).

In this sweet and much-needed smoke, I smiled at this concept of yours...and also got a hankering for Light Years.

Gonna listen to it now.

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    hedonist wrote:
    badbrains wrote:
    So earlier, the dude and I christened my MM card with a "freebie" joint of some delicious Indica from a kickass local dispensary (I LOVE this place, and the people who work there).

In this sweet and much-needed smoke, I smiled at this concept of yours...and also got a hankering for Light Years.

Gonna listen to it now.

Fucken awesome hedonist! So I'm not alone on this theory?!?!? 8-)
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    A Dwarf Planet In Our Solar System Has Ice Volcanoes That Spew Boiling Water

Astronomers have discovered direct evidence of water on the dwarf planet Ceres in the form of vapor plumes erupting into space, possibly from volcano-like ice geysers on its surface.

Using European Space Agency's Herschel Space Observatory, scientists detected water vapor escaping from two regions on Ceres, a dwarf planet that is also the largest asteroid in the solar system. The water is likely erupting from icy volcanoes or sublimation of ice into clouds of vapor.

Ceres, a dwarf planet or giant asteroid (depending on the definition used), is the largest object in the asteroid belt, orbiting at 2.8 astronomical units (the distance from Earth to the sun).

image.....

Read more: http://www.space.com/24366-dwarf-planet-ceres-water-ice-volcanoes.html#ixzz2rFwVwh2B
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    The "search" function seems to be working although it wouldn't find this particular thread and I had to find it searching my previous posts.

I wonder if since the user who created this list is now banned that the "search" function skips threads the user created?
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    NASA Sued for Failing to Investigate Martian Jelly-Donut Rock

(From Article)

One man is claiming that the intriguing Martian rock photographed recently by NASA's Opportunity rover isn't a rock at all, but a living thing, and is now suing the space agency for neglecting to investigate further.

NASA offered a simple explanation for its curious appearance on Mars on Jan. 8, after photographs taken in the same location just 12 days earlier showed no such object.

That explanations included the possibility that Opportunity's tires knocked the rock, since dubbed "Pinnacle Island," into view.

Rhawn Joseph, a neuropsychologist and author, filed a lawsuit in a California court earlier this week demanding NASA "thoroughly scientifically examine and investigate" the mystery object that seemingly appeared out of nowhere on the surface of Mars this month.

Dubbed the "jelly donut," by Opportunity lead scientist Steve Squyres, the rock is white on the outside with a red center. And while NASA scientists admitted it was "unlike anything we have seen before," they definitely determined it to be a rock.

news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57618020-1/nasa-sued-mars-jelly-doughnut-clearly-alien-fungus/

space.com/24356-mars-rock-mystery-opportunity-rover-photos.html

NASA has responded by saying it cannot talk about a legal matter currently before the court, but it will move ahead with further research on the rock's composition.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Idris said:

NASA Sued for Failing to Investigate Martian Jelly-Donut Rock

(From Article)

One man is claiming that the intriguing Martian rock photographed recently by NASA's Opportunity rover isn't a rock at all, but a living thing, and is now suing the space agency for neglecting to investigate further.

NASA offered a simple explanation for its curious appearance on Mars on Jan. 8, after photographs taken in the same location just 12 days earlier showed no such object.

That explanations included the possibility that Opportunity's tires knocked the rock, since dubbed "Pinnacle Island," into view.

Rhawn Joseph, a neuropsychologist and author, filed a lawsuit in a California court earlier this week demanding NASA "thoroughly scientifically examine and investigate" the mystery object that seemingly appeared out of nowhere on the surface of Mars this month.

Dubbed the "jelly donut," by Opportunity lead scientist Steve Squyres, the rock is white on the outside with a red center. And while NASA scientists admitted it was "unlike anything we have seen before," they definitely determined it to be a rock.

news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57618020-1/nasa-sued-mars-jelly-doughnut-clearly-alien-fungus/

space.com/24356-mars-rock-mystery-opportunity-rover-photos.html

NASA has responded by saying it cannot talk about a legal matter currently before the court, but it will move ahead with further research on the rock's composition.

NASA's rsponse to the disappearing Martian Jelly donut... Dr. Richard Gosenya explains the mystery as, "The 'Martian Dog'. Anything that falls to the ground on Mars becomes the property of the Martian dog."
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    Scientists estimate that there are hundreds of billions more galaxies in the universe, none of which you can see without a telescope. Moreover each one of these galaxies has billions of stars which brings the grand total number of stars in the universe to 10 billion trillion which is 10 followed by 21 zeros. Thats more stars than the number of grains of sand on the Earth.
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Post edited by g under p on

• Options
    mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    The next Full Moon - Tuesday 15th Apri...

The Full Moon of April, is known as the Seed Moon, Pink Moon or the Sprouting Grass Moon.

It rises around sunset and sets around sunrise, the only night in the month when the moon is in the sky all night long.

For the remainder of the month, it spends some of the time in the daylight sky..... Happy Spring - Enjoy

:)
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Options
    lazlobluelazloblue Houston Posts: 738
    Cool, thanks Mikalina. I'll be watching. I am a moon child!
    Lollapalooza 92, Alpine Valley 11, De Luna 12, Wrigley/Pittsburgh/Dallas/OKC 13, Tulsa/Denver 14, Global 15, Wrigley 1/2 16
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721
    Mikalina, is that where Nick Drake got the title for the song "Pink Moon"? I didn't know there was something called "pink moon" other than the song. Very cool. :-)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited April 2014
    https://nightsky.jpl.nasa.gov/planner.cfm

so lastnight (thanks to a friend) i watched the space station buzz on by. i was not thinking all that deeply into the idea so i was like, "wow once a year or whatever, here comes the space station" wrong answer, dickhead!

every day/every night possibly many times per 24 hrs the space station gives us a fly by. lastnight it traveled basically directly overhead out of the WSW heading into the NNW direction.

at 200-250 miles high & at 17,000mph this was something like a smaller looking star just going to town. i was totally thrilled, shocked & alive feeling. this space station is tracked of course & can be followed across the earth every day all day.
    i got 6 minutes as the site predicted while others may get 1 min or maybe 3. i believe 6 minutes is tops for the visual

anyone ever heard of this & watched it cross the night sky? the day sky?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    the bottom of this website's page gives a good indication of how fast the ISS goes, and where it is,
    the top page of this link shows what the astronauts are seeing.
    You might have to give the page a few seconds to gather itself

http://iss.astroviewer.net/
    Post edited by rollings on
  • Options
    kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    The Google Sky Map is a pretty awesome (free) app for your phone, too.

google.com/mobile/skymap/
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options

The Kepler Space Telescope has found the first Earth-sized planet orbiting another star in its "habitable zone". The planet, named [i]Kepler 186-f[/i], is at a distance where liquid water [b][i]could[/i][/b] exist on the planet's surface. There are other Earth-sized planets orbiting the star, but they are so close to it that they are way too hot for life as we know it to survive.

Astronomers do not yet know if 186-f has any water or even an atmosphere, but the discovery of the planet is a huge breakthrough. Kepler 186-f's sun is a red dwarf, which is the most common type of star in the Milky Way Galaxy (70%). This tells us that there could be many millions if not billions of Earth-sized planets orbiting other red dwarf stars throughout the galaxy.

:haz:[size=4] [/size] :haz: :haz:
    [size=4] [/size]
    [size=4] [/size]

An artist's depiction of the planet and its system:

http://www.nasa.gov/ames/kepler/nasas-kepler-discovers-first-earth-size-planet-in-the-habitable-zone-of-another-star/index.html#.U1DxcvldXEc

http://kepler.nasa.gov

Peace