Options

Dorky stuff about the Universe

Comments

• Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    Jason P wrote:
    Backlit_Saturn_Shines_in_Stunning-956036be2054d8e19885844458a6530a

Thank you, Cassini for reminding me of the beauty of the universe even though things feel crappy on planet earth this past weekend.

wow. I didn't even think this was an actual photograph. What makes it look that way is that Cassini spacecraft is facing Saturn looking back at the sun. So in this picture the sun is behind Saturn and Cassini is in Saturn's shadow. How cool is that! Thanks for posting this
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Mark your calendars, Kiddies.
    A total Eclipse of the Sun will be seen through a large swath of the U.S. on 21August2017. From Oregon through much of the MidWest and through North Carolina. Hitting near many large populations centers, such as Salem, Or., St. Louis and Kansas City and Charleston.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    The following link is to an AMAZING photo of Jupiter ....

http://www.businessinsider.com/jupiter-io-europa-voyager-image-2013-1

The crazy thing is that I'm just a little bit older then the photo.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    Jason P wrote:
    The following link is to an AMAZING photo of Jupiter ....

http://www.businessinsider.com/jupiter-io-europa-voyager-image-2013-1

The crazy thing is that I'm just a little bit older then the photo.
    Very cool, Jason P!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited May 2013
    This is such an interesting discussion about the universe I love it

Peace
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • Options
    kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    original

Borrowed this shot (taken on the ISS of the Earth and Moon) from Phil Plait's blog. He always has great stuff. Check it out: http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy.html
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It's so fascinating talking about space and how there are
    millions of planets with the same chances of life as earth out there
    I love to just stand in silence and look up at the stars..
    The evolution for mans best friend unfortunately I think we humans are
    behind it to fit our purposes.

Peace
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Annafalk wrote:
    behind to fit our purposes.

Peace
    Twice you've mentioned man's best friend. Just curious who/what you think that is?

My first reaction was the usual - dogs. Then I thought...well, what about man?

btw...the Jupiter photo is spectacular.
  • Options
    I'm sorry I wrote my text twice please have patience
    :oops:

Peace
  • Options
    hedonist wrote:
    Annafalk wrote:
    behind to fit our purposes.

Peace
    Twice you've mentioned man's best friend. Just curious who/what you think that is?

My first reaction was the usual - dogs. Then I thought...well, what about man?

btw...the Jupiter photo is spectacular.

I'm curious as well about "mans best friend". BUt even more so, Annafalk, what do you mean here? This sentences: "The evolution for mans best friend unfortunately I think we humans are
    behind to fit our purposes" makes no sense to me. And is it "mans" or "man's"?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    I hear Chris Hatfield's twitter account is pretty cool for you space nerds. :D

https://twitter.com/Cmdr_Hadfield

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Options
    Annafalk wrote:
    I'm sorry I wrote my text twice please have patience
    :oops:

Peace
    No worries! Done that myself ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    :)
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    13 must see star-gazing events of 2013

http://mainframereview.com/13-must-see- ... +Review%29
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    13 must see star-gazing events of 2013

http://mainframereview.com/13-must-see- ... +Review%29
    Cool.

I like the picture of George W. Bush eating a little kitty cat at the end. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    funnyzone_hungry-bush-e1358888320938.jpg
  • Options
    350.jpg

Even though we're on different sides of the globe we look upon the same stars and the same moon..

love to you all :)
  • Options
    Annafalk wrote:

Even though we're on different sides of the globe we look upon the same stars and the same moon..

that's true for the moon, the sun, and the visible planets.....but not necessarily the stars.

some stars are visible in one hemisphere but not the other. It depends on your lattitude too. If you live near the equator, you'll see the norhtern and southern constellations. If you live on the north pole, you'll only ever see the northern constellations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumpola ... olar_stars
  • Options
    Annafalk wrote:
    This thought has always brought me comfort, and punctuates that sense of "yeah, we're all here - in this - together".

We've got the clean, after-rain air this morning in LA. I love it.
  • Options
    If you've thought that "it seems like time is speeding up" or rather, "things seemed to move slower when i was a kid" ("days go by faster now than they used to) or something of that sort ...

BLAM-O ... you are *PROBABLY* correct, and extremely intuitive.

Scientists Think Time Is Slowing Down & Will Stop Completely Some Day ...

This is the alternative theory to "the universe is expanding at an ACCELERATING rate".
    While the theory of a universe expanding at an accelerating rate requires an unsubstantiated belief in "dark matter", the newly proposed theory requires no such wild assertions -- it just requires a new way of looking at things.

The strange "paradox" here is that time itself slowing down (winding to zero) actually would give the daily appearance (although it is claimed this is happening far too slowly to be noticed by humans) of the pace of things actually increasing (speeding up).

I've been mulling this concept over for some time, and find it quite gratifying to note that *actual* scientists are now arriving at this possibility as well.

yay science.
    :D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    If you've thought that "it seems like time is speeding up" or rather, "things seemed to move slower when i was a kid" ("days go by faster now than they used to) or something of that sort ...

BLAM-O ... you are *PROBABLY* correct, and extremely intuitive.

Scientists Think Time Is Slowing Down & Will Stop Completely Some Day ...

This is the alternative theory to "the universe is expanding at an ACCELERATING rate".
    While the theory of a universe expanding at an accelerating rate requires an unsubstantiated belief in "dark matter", the newly proposed theory requires no such wild assertions -- it just requires a new way of looking at things.

The strange "paradox" here is that time itself slowing down (winding to zero) actually would give the daily appearance (although it is claimed this is happening far too slowly to be noticed by humans) of the pace of things actually increasing (speeding up).

I've been mulling this concept over for some time, and find it quite gratifying to note that *actual* scientists are now arriving at this possibility as well.

yay science.
    :D

This will rumble around in my mind well into the evening having also thought about this a number of times as well as occasionally feeling the arc of changing time and the changing pace of movement in time.

New information to absorb here!

Very cool- thanks Drifting.

• Options
    rollings wrote:
    Annafalk wrote:

that's true for the moon, the sun, and the visible planets.....but not necessarily the stars.

some stars are visible in one hemisphere but not the other. It depends on your lattitude too. If you live near the equator, you'll see the norhtern and southern constellations. If you live on the north pole, you'll only ever see the northern constellations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumpola ... olar_stars

Thank you rollings this was interesting I didn't know about this!
  • Options
    http://now.msn.com/go-stargazing-this-w ... -night-sky

something about 3 planets lining up together or something
  • Options
    mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    June’s full moon is known as the Strawberry Moon. This name was universal to every Algonquin tribe...

However, in Europe they called it the Rose Moon.

Also because the relatively short season for harvesting strawberries comes each year during the month of June . . . so the full Moon that occurs during that month was christened for the strawberry!

rm.JPG
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Options
    Full moon falls on June 23, 2013

This full moon is not only the closest and largest full moon of the year. It also presents the moon’s closest encounter with Earth for all of 2013.

The moon will not be so close again until August, 2014. In other words, it’s not just a supermoon. It’s the closest supermoon of 2013.....
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Options
    mikalina wrote:

This full moon is not only the closest and largest full moon of the year. It also presents the moon’s closest encounter with Earth for all of 2013.

The moon will not be so close again until August, 2014. In other words, it’s not just a supermoon. It’s the closest supermoon of 2013.....
    I'm SO looking forward to seeing this this weekend!
  • Options
    hedonist wrote:
    mikalina wrote:

what is a supermoon?
  • Options
    rollings wrote:
    hedonist wrote:

what is a supermoon?
    It's a big(looking) motherfucker :)
    35741d1300552330-supermoon-supermoon.jpg
  • Options
    hedonist wrote:
    mikalina wrote:

Thats awesome....

looks like a cloudy and rainy night for me :fp:
  • Options
    otterotter Posts: 753
    Ya know there is petroleum on some moon around Jupiter.

Must have been dinosaurs roaming around millions of years ago. They probably had big heads.
    I found my place......and it's alright