Options

In your opinion who's the most over-rated guitar player?

13»

Comments

• Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    Trey Anastasio.

And Fenway, you cant really mean that. You can dislike Page, but to say he is not that great is blasphemy.
    Speaking of it might get loud, you can tell that neither Jack White or the Edge have any business being in the same room as Page.

Trey? WTF?

didn't really think he was even rated highly outside of Phish fans and he's easily the least popular out of any of the names mentioned in this thread... I'm not sure people here know what overrated means.
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    BinFrog wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    Trey Anastasio.

And Fenway, you cant really mean that. You can dislike Page, but to say he is not that great is blasphemy.
    Speaking of it might get loud, you can tell that neither Jack White or the Edge have any business being in the same room as Page.

Trey? WTF?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlJ6LBp7_U4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uCSy67k16c
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lWi1dGT9UY

If anything he's underrated because a lot of people want to dismiss the whole band due to the perceived following.

well fucking done my friend. I came in to post that Disease and the Prague Ghost, but you did my work for me
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    BinFrog wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlJ6LBp7_U4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uCSy67k16c
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lWi1dGT9UY

If anything he's underrated because a lot of people want to dismiss the whole band due to the perceived following.

well fucking done my friend. I came in to post that Disease and the Prague Ghost, but you did my work for me

you know it. threw in 5:15 because of all the resident Who fans.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Callaway wrote:
    Lacks creativity? lol
    Perhaps you ignored his lyrics....

And whilst those songs may sound similar, they are far away from what Nirvana did, they are not exactly the same.

It kills people to admit Cobain stole riffs for two of Nirvana's most precious songs.

I can't even make out what that second song is meant to sound like?
    I can see the Come as you are similarity but nothing stands out from that second link.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Jon ChorbaJon Chorba Posts: 268
    PKTrekGirl wrote:
    Easy question: Kurt Cobain.

The thing about being part of that '27 Club' is that everyone in it is somehow remembered as being the absolute BEST at everything they ever did. And it just ain't so.

Kurt Cobain should be on any list related to innovators that changed the face of rock music...and he should be on any list related to songwriting ability.

But whenever I read one of those top 50 lists of best guitarists of all time and he's on it, I immediately call the entire thing suspect. Because such a list is not based on assessment of real skill - it's based on what the author thinks he 'should say' in order to appear cool.

Kurt Cobain was a lot of things, many of them very good...but an awesome guitarist was NOT one of them.

+1 to that

If You Like Crunchy Guitar Riffs, Powerful Vocals, Melodic Guitar Solos, And Meaningful Lyrics..then you need to check out one of the most refreshing new hard rock bands in quite some time...-->The Liberty Underground<--
  • Options
    PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,014
    Callaway wrote:
    Lacks creativity? lol
    Perhaps you ignored his lyrics....

And whilst those songs may sound similar, they are far away from what Nirvana did, they are not exactly the same.

It kills people to admit Cobain stole riffs for two of Nirvana's most precious songs.

I can't even make out what that second song is meant to sound like?
    I can see the Come as you are similarity but nothing stands out from that second link.

I seriously hope that is sarcasm....
  • Options
    bennett13bennett13 Posts: 439
    While I love him as a songwriter, singer & overall performer, I gotta go with Bruce Springsteen on this one. I saw him on Rolling Stone's list of greatest guitar players, and my first thought was "well, if he's so great, why does he need Stevie Van Zandt AND Nils Lofgren backing him up." Hell, at the Grammys this year, he even added his wife Patti to the guitar lineup!

While I agree that Cobain was an overrated guitarist, at least he was usually the only guitarist up there.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165

It ain't.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    CallawayCallaway Posts: 635

It ain't.

In all honesty Nirvana and Kurt Cobain ripped off sooooo many little things here and there in their songs that I think it's funny because anyone who won't admit it at this point is lying to themselves because they want Cobain to continue to be the genius they have built him as inside their head. The fact he did this is okay because he hide most of it pretty good but he was a stealer of music and it is laced throughout a large portion of his songs. I'm not going to post a link for every one of them but here is one off the top of my head. The fact is, Kurt Cobain was a riff kleptomaniac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGrWeegutQY
  • Options
    pjfan021pjfan021 Posts: 684
    kurt definitely wasn't anything special as far as innovation or skill, he was an overall great songwriter though. He should never be in any top 100 list...EVER. As far as the boss, I don't really hear his name come up in discussion with anyone and I was really surprised to see him on the rolling stone list. He's alright, nothing too crazy tho.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906

It ain't.

smells like teen spirit...

the come as you are riff was definitely ripped off, but to be fair the two songs are completely different. The songs as a whole are not even close to sounding the same.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Predictable thread.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    edited March 2012
    bennett13 wrote:
    While I love him as a songwriter, singer & overall performer, I gotta go with Bruce Springsteen on this one. I saw him on Rolling Stone's list of greatest guitar players, and my first thought was "well, if he's so great, why does he need Stevie Van Zandt AND Nils Lofgren backing him up." Hell, at the Grammys this year, he even added his wife Patti to the guitar lineup!

While I agree that Cobain was an overrated guitarist, at least he was usually the only guitarist up there.
    He's had Patti up there since the late 90s. Actually, I think she was up there since the Born in the USA Tour but I don't know if she was playing guitar on that tour.
    Post edited by Newch91 on
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    Newch91 wrote:
    Predictable thread.

I totally agree.
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    CobCob Posts: 857
    Angus Young (Same old same old since the 70's)

Jack White (I think he's one of the most over rated musicians ever)

Eric Clapton (just don't get it, Jeff Beck blows him away IMO)

Stevie Ray Vaughn (Freaking LOVED the guy, saw him in concert 5-6 times, but he wasn't doing ANYTHING new, it had all been done by older blues guys before)

B.B. King ( There are/were WAY better guitar players from his generation)
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Cob wrote:
    Angus Young (Same old same old since the 70's)

Jack White (I think he's one of the most over rated musicians ever)

Stevie Ray Vaughn (Freaking LOVED the guy, saw him in concert 5-6 times, but he wasn't doing ANYTHING new, it had all been done by older blues guys before)

Angus would tell you the same thing.

I agree on Clapton. Never was that great of a songwriter.

SRV though?? Show me an older blues guy that was doin what he was doin. I think he took blues guitar to a whole 'nother level of precision and virtuosity.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    Cob wrote:

I don't get some of the comments in this thread. I'm assuming you're calling him overrated because he often ranks high on guitarist lists. But shouldn't you not care what the perception of him is? If you "freaking loved the guy and saw him in concert 5-6 times", then he's great. Right? Doesn't that mean he's great to you? And if he's great to you, who cares how others perceive his playing?

And when you say he wasn't doing ANYTHING new, I ask, has anybody SINCE SRV done anything to advance the playing of the blues? Not that I know of. So basically what I'm trying to say is that something "new" doesn't have to be done for a musician's work (or writer or whatever) to have merit. Has Pearl Jam ever done anything "new" from an instrumentation standpoint? Not really.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Cob wrote:

There is so much wrong with this it's :lol::lol::lol:

EC :lol::lol: The guy every guitar player dreams of playing with. All those guitarists have no clue. Cob should fill them in. :lol::lol:
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    JW142513JW142513 Posts: 12
    The "Edge."
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    McCready