Options

In your opinion who's the most over-rated guitar player?

MASMAS Posts: 628
edited March 2012 in Other Music
I feel its Slash, I mean he's good but he ain't that good....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pjfan021pjfan021 Posts: 684
    Slash would definitely be in my top 5. I personally think jack white is given way too much credit for his guitar playing
  • Options
    awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    The Edge.
  • Options
    MASMAS Posts: 628
    awilkins wrote:
    The Edge.

good one
  • Options
    Tom Morello
    Jimmy Page
    Neil Young

(ducks for backlash)
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    awilkins wrote:
    The Edge.

He's rated? Wow! Did not know dinka, Dinka, Dinka rates. Isn't rate part of overrated?
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    Living? The Edge.
    Dead? Kurt Cobain.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Jimmy Page

nope
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    awilkins wrote:
    The Edge.

How this dude is in It Might Get Loud is beyond me
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    Joe Perry
    6-16-03 St Paul
    6-26-06 St Paul
    6-27-06 St Paul
    7-2-011 EV MPLS
    9-3-011 Alpine
    9-4-011 Alpine
    9-22-012 Atlanta
    7-19-013 Wrigley
    10-9-014 Lincoln
    10-14-014 Memphis
    10-17-014 Moline
    10-19-014 St Paul
    10-22-014 Denver
    9-26-015 New York City
    8-20-016 Wrigley
    8-22-016 Wrigley
    8-13-018 Missoula
    8-18-018 Wrigley
    8-20-018 Wrigley 
    9-18-022 St. Louis
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    Jimmy Page

nope
    Usually we're in line when it comes to music Dewie. Agree to disagree on this one. He's great, but not that great in my mind.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    pjfan021pjfan021 Posts: 684
    Tom Morello
    Jimmy Page
    Neil Young

(ducks for backlash)

WHAT! (flips desk over.) can I ask what u don't like bout uncle Neil's playing? I can see jimmy to a degree, ESP live he could get sloppy
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Trey Anastasio.

And Fenway, you cant really mean that. You can dislike Page, but to say he is not that great is blasphemy.
    Speaking of it might get loud, you can tell that neither Jack White or the Edge have any business being in the same room as Page.
  • Options
    pjfan021 wrote:
    Tom Morello
    Jimmy Page
    Neil Young

(ducks for backlash)

WHAT! (flips desk over.) can I ask what u don't like bout uncle Neil's playing? I can see jimmy to a degree, ESP live he could get sloppy
    Everybody here thinks he's some god. The thread is about over-rated right? I'm not saying I dont like it, just think he's wildly overrated. He's pretty average as far as Im concerned. Above average songwriter, average guitarist. But if you read all the stuff on this board, you'd think he's untouchable.
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    Trey Anastasio.

And Fenway, you cant really mean that. You can dislike Page, but to say he is not that great is blasphemy.
    Speaking of it might get loud, you can tell that neither Jack White or the Edge have any business being in the same room as Page.
    Again, don't dislike. We are talking "over-rated".
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    Jimmy Page

nope
    Usually we're in line when it comes to music Dewie. Agree to disagree on this one. He's great, but not that great in my mind.

That's cool...I think he's usually pretty fairly rated when you're talkin about lists and general comments about him. I'd personally say he's usually underrated by a notch b/c I think he should be put above Hendrix in all those lists where he is #2. When you're talkin about technical guitar ability, he probably is overrated, but when you look at his creativity, influence, range, and overall impact with how the instrument is played I don't think there's anybody that can match him. I literally can't think of any rock band worth a crap that doesn't have a distinct Jimmy Page/Led Zeppelin moment.
  • Options
    Easy question: Kurt Cobain.

The thing about being part of that '27 Club' is that everyone in it is somehow remembered as being the absolute BEST at everything they ever did. And it just ain't so.

Kurt Cobain should be on any list related to innovators that changed the face of rock music...and he should be on any list related to songwriting ability.

But whenever I read one of those top 50 lists of best guitarists of all time and he's on it, I immediately call the entire thing suspect. Because such a list is not based on assessment of real skill - it's based on what the author thinks he 'should say' in order to appear cool.

Kurt Cobain was a lot of things, many of them very good...but an awesome guitarist was NOT one of them.
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    Neil Young
    This selection intrigues me. I don't think he qualifies because I can't think of one time I've ever seen him included on a "best guitarist" list or seen/heard him mentioned as a guitar hero or any such.

But then again, maybe I've just been missing these mentions because I haven't paid attention to such things ever since I saw Mick Mars win the readers' poll in Circus Magazine back in 1986 or so.
  • Options
    I didn't think Trey was rated that high to be overrated. I think he's pretty damn good though. I wouldn't say Neil Young is overrated either as I don't think he's held to mythical heights. I'd say Mike McCready is overrated on here/by PJ fans and I love him.

Kurt is overrated with respect to everything.
    Jimmy Page probably is overrated.
    Tom Morello is overrated.
    Joe Perry is even rated?
    Slash is overrated.
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,643
    it's gotta be kurt cobain. and i really like nirvana. i'm always amazed to see him mentioned virtually every time there is a greatest guitar players of all time type of list. and he always seems to get mentioned in the top ten. great artist/musician. guitar legend? not so much.
  • Options
    awilkins wrote:
    I didn't think Trey was rated that high to be overrated. I think he's pretty damn good though. I wouldn't say Neil Young is overrated either as I don't think he's held to mythical heights. I'd say Mike McCready is overrated on here/by PJ fans and I love him.

Joe Perry is even rated?
    Slash is overrated.

Right on with Mike McC
    Don't agree w/Morello...Like others, is he really rated? If he is, then yeah he's probably overrated. At least he has some original ideas
    Joe Perry is definitely overrated...Not even the best guitarist in his band by alot of accounts
    Slash has been overrated since that Guitar Hero came out, but I'd say aside from that the credit he gets is pretty fair
  • Options
    awilkins wrote:
    I'd say Mike McCready is overrated on here/by PJ fans and I love him.

Gotta agree with you there. I remember people being outraged that he is not on Rolling Stone's (was it RS? I can't remember for sure) top 100 list or something...but the thing was, he was a voter, actually....and didn't end up on the list.

Which is fine with me.

For the kind of music PJ writes and plays, Mike is very good. He does not need to be King of Shred - Pearl Jam's music does not require it. From what I know of Mike, he seems like a really nice fellow, and easy to work with...as well as being technically competent. And in Pearl Jam's case, that mix of qualities is probably more important (and useful) than is being a Prima Donna King of Shred....which some of those guys tend to be (not all, but certainly some).

Mike is not a top 50 guitarist like some around here posit. But it doesn't matter to me. I love him anyway, because he is the best guitarist for Pearl Jam, and that's all that should matter to the fans.
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,643
    awilkins wrote:

Joe Perry is even rated?
    Slash is overrated.

trey is rated pretty high. especially within the 'jam' community. i think he's great at what he does though i'm not a huge phish fan.

neil young certainly is held to mythical heights...and it's well deserved. but i suppose this is a thread about opinions.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    The Edge
    Cobain
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Johnny Ramone
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Lifted wrote:
    neil young certainly is held to mythical heights...and it's well deserved. but i suppose this is a thread about opinions.

I would say that his guitar playing isn't really rated, but his songwriting ability is.

If his guitar playing is rated, it shouldn't be rated too high. Neil isn't exactly a clean-technique type of player, and his stuff is not too technical.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Lifted wrote:

I would say that his guitar playing isn't really rated, but his songwriting ability is.

If his guitar playing is rated, it shouldn't be rated too high. Neil isn't exactly a clean-technique type of player, and his stuff is not too technical.
    Was just about to post this. NY is held to mythical heights, but I wouldn't say his guitar playing is held to mythical heights. I would go as far as saying Trey is rated pretty high, well-deserved, but not overrated.

The most obvious in this thread is still The Edge an overrated guitarist and Kurt Cobain being overrated as a whole. Mike MMc is overrated within the PJ community.
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,493
    Jack White
  • Options
    Kerry King, so you can tremolo pick, good for you. Jeff is still the man, just isnt an attention whore.

Kirk Hammett, wah is cool but it doesnt hide all your mistakes.

Also Cobain for all the reasons already listed.

Angus Young, same riff for 40 years...

To defend Morello though, supposedly he is great guitarist, from what I read in guitar magazines from interviewers and such that heard him just missing around on his guitar, but he just hides behind the same riffs and the whammy pedal. I'd really like to see if there is any truth that he can really play. But given what he has shown of his playing he is overrated.
  • Options
    well I think Kurt is a universal one here...

Mike... look he gives me chills. when he has his head tilted back and is completely zoned out, esp certain versions of Even Flow it is like he is on another planet. Yes bias and whatever but he does have the ability to do that to me and can only think of maybe 2 others who can
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!
  • Options
    well I think Kurt is a universal one here...

Mike... look he gives me chills. when he has his head tilted back and is completely zoned out, esp certain versions of Even Flow it is like he is on another planet. Yes bias and whatever but he does have the ability to do that to me and can only think of maybe 2 others who can

Well, I think the difference is that PJ's music has a heart...and Mike plays like he has a heart. Which is sort of what I was getting at above. Amazing technique in terms of shredding is not really necessary to play PJ's music, so Mike doesn't need to have the technique of an Eddie Van Halen or whatever. He needs to be technically competent, which he is...and he needs to have a heart. That works very well with PJ's music...which is why, while he may not be the best guitarist in rock, technically speaking, he is most definitely the best guitarist for Pearl Jam.

At least I think so. :)