Did you know?

Comments

• kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    I know that ^^^ is false: http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/spiders.asp

Did you know there are more stars in the universe than all the grains of sand on Earth?
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    kw18 wrote:

Saw it on TV therefore it can not be false.
    DS1119 wrote:
    kw18 wrote:

Saw it on TV therefore it can not be false.

Internet overrides TV. :P
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    kw18 wrote:

Internet overrides TV. :P

I didn't know that.

Did you know a lion can mate more than 50 times in one day.
  • the world didnt end at 21th dec 2012?
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    Yeah I did know that. Those jokes are so yesterday.

Did you know most people speak at a rate of 120 words per minute, or two words a second.
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Human beings have 46 chromosomes, 2 less than the common potato.
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    the poop hole is not a loop whole
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Caveeze wrote:

:fp: :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Caveeze wrote:

Shit.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Did you know there's a disease called fatal familial insomnia in which a mutation to the protein PrPC causes degeneration of the thalamus which in turn affects the regulation of sleep? Those affected by the disease have an avergae life span of 18 months from the onset of the disease. :shock:
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Posts: 4,004
    That your teeth is the hardest material in your body..(not sure this is correct english)
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Posts: 4,004
    edited March 2013
    Maybe you know this already;
    When you are hung over it's because your body has a shortage of water.
    When you'r drunk the intoxicated brain tells the kidneys to get rid of too much water.. something like that anyway

(My drunk boss told me to spill out all the water,now look what happened)
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    I'm wearing black socks today.
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    no. I did not know.

I did know that. :shifty:
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    afroannnie wrote:

I did know that. :shifty:

Crap! I thought I had you with that factoid.
    That there are patterns in mosh pits for which you can create mathematical models?

http://www.npr.org/2013/03/22/174962714 ... owdy-crowd

:ugeek:
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,777
    50 Things Everyone Should Know

-The word "queue" is the only word in the English language that is still pronounced the same way when the last four letters are removed.
    -Beetles taste like apples, wasps like pine nuts, and worms like fried bacon.
    -Of all the words in the English language, the word 'set' has the most definitions!
    - What is called a "French kiss" in the English speaking world is known as an "English kiss" in France.
    - "Almost" is the longest word in the English language with all the letters in alphabetical order.
    -"Rhythm" is the longest English word without a vowel.
    -In 1386, a pig in France was executed by public hanging for the murder of a child
    -A cockroach can live several weeks with its head cut off!Human thigh bones are stronger than concrete.
    -You can't kill yourself by holding your breath
    -There is a city called Rome on every continent.
    -It's against the law to have a pet dog in Iceland!
    -Your heart beats over 100,000 times a day!
    -Horatio Nelson, one of England's most illustrious admirals was throughout his life, never able to find a cure for his sea-sickness.
    -The skeleton of Jeremy Bentham is present at all important meetings of the University of London
    -Right handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people
    -Your ribs move about 5 million times a year, everytime you breathe!
    -The elephant is the only mammal that can't jump!
    -One quarter of the bones in your body, are in your feet!
    -Like fingerprints, everyone's tongue print is different!
    -The first known transfusion of blood was performed as early as 1667, when Jean-Baptiste, transfused two pints of blood from a sheep to a young man
    -Fingernails grow nearly 4 times faster than toenails!
    -Most dust particles in your house are made from dead skin!
    -The present population of 5 billion plus people of the world is predicted to become 15 billion by 2080.
    -Women blink nearly twice as much as men.
    -Adolf Hitler was a vegetarian, and had only ONE testicle.
    -Honey is the only food that does not spoil. Honey found in the tombs of Egyptian pharaohs has been tasted by archaeologists and found edible.
    -Months that begin on a Sunday will always have a "Friday the 13th."
    -Coca-Cola would be green if colouring weren’t added to it.
    -On average a hedgehog's heart beats 300 times a minute.
    -More people are killed each year from bees than from snakes.
    -The average lead pencil will draw a line 35 miles long or write approximately 50,000 English words.
    -More people are allergic to cow's milk than any other food.
    -Camels have three eyelids to protect themselves from blowing sand.
    -The placement of a donkey's eyes in its' heads enables it to see all four feet at all times!
    -The six official languages of the United Nations are: English, French, Arabic, Chinese, Russian and Spanish.
    -Earth is the only planet not named after a god.
    -It's against the law to burp, or sneeze in a church in Nebraska, USA.
    -You're born with 300 bones, but by the time you become an adult, you only have 206.
    -Some worms will eat themselves if they can't find any food!
    -Dolphins sleep with one eye open!
    -It is impossible to sneeze with your eyes open
    -The worlds oldest piece of chewing gum is 9000 years old!
    -The longest recorded flight of a chicken is 13 seconds
    -Queen Elizabeth I regarded herself as a paragon of cleanliness. She declared that she bathed once every three months, whether she needed it or not
    -Slugs have 4 noses.
    -Owls are the only birds who can see the colour blue.
    -A man named Charles Osborne had the hiccups for 69 years!
    -A giraffe can clean its ears with its 21-inch tongue!
    -The average person laughs 10 times a day!
    -An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ thanks for sharing the above - ( erie pa ) found some of it intersting.

I found this one funny -

What is called a "French kiss" in the English speaking world is known as an "English kiss" in France. ;)
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    ... why this happens?

Ice_Spike4.jpg
    Ice spikes grow as the water in an ice cube tray turns to ice. The water first freezes on the top surface, around the edges of what will become the ice cube. The ice slowly freezes in from the edges, until just a small hole is left unfrozen in the surface. At the same time, while the surface is freezing, more ice starts to form around the sides of the cube. Since ice expands as it freezes, the ice freezing below the surface starts to push water up through the hole in the surface ice (see diagram). If the conditions are just right, then water will be forced out of the hole in the ice and it will freeze into an ice spike, a bit like lava pouring out of a hole in the ground to makes a volcano. But water does not flow down the sides of a thin spike, so in that way it is different from a volcano. Rather, the water freezes around the rim of the tube, and thus adds to its length. The spike can continue growing taller until all the water freezes, cutting off the supply, or until the tube freezes shut. The tallest spike we've seen growing in an ordinary ice cube tray was 56mm (2.2in) long.

Now you know! :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Did you know...snakes and lizards have what is known as a hemipenis. Instead of one shaft, they have a dual-lobed male sex organ. Only one side is used at a time, and the male alternates which one is used in subsequent matings.
    50 Things Everyone Should Know

Yeah ... many of these are not true. :ugeek:

And as someone with a prominent and necessary "y" in their name, I'm particularly offended you consider it not a vowel. It very much is, good sir! At least sometimes. :D
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    oh yeah..that was fun
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    afroannnie wrote:
    Did you know...snakes and lizards have what is known as a hemipenis. Instead of one shaft, they have a dual-lobed male sex organ. Only one side is used at a time, and the male alternates which one is used in subsequent matings.

Ladies, be prepared for your world to be turned upside down. Afroannie, your post reminded me of something my friend in medical school once told me. He was doing some kind of training, when a man came in to the hospital for some procedure. The man had two penises. Both were operable. :shock: True story.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    afroannnie wrote:

Ladies, be prepared for your world to be turned upside down. Afroannie, your post reminded me of something my friend in medical school once told me. He was doing some kind of training, when a man came in to the hospital for some procedure. The man had two penises. Both were operable. :shock: True story.

:think: Were they totally separate or did they "branch off"? Also, how many sets of testicles? :corn:
    I'm a scientist...I need details. :corn:
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    afroannnie wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:

:think: Were they totally separate or did they "branch off"? Also, how many sets of testicles? :corn:

I believe they were totally separate, but I dont remember for sure. I think they both worked, but only one peed and ejaculated. I think it was one set of nuts. his was probably 1998 in Gainesville florida, so the details are sketchy. But the doctor was/is my best friend.. very credible dude. I'll ask him again (just texted him), see if he remembers.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    afroannnie wrote:

I believe they were totally separate, but I dont remember for sure. I think they both worked, but only one peed and ejaculated. I think it was one set of nuts. his was probably 1998 in Gainesville florida, so the details are sketchy. But the doctor was/is my best friend.. very credible dude. I'll ask him again (just texted him), see if he remembers.

:think: Interesting stuff...Yes, tell him inquiring minds want to know... :lol:
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    afroannnie wrote:

If one of them couldn't pee or ejaculate, in what sense did it "work"? :think: It simply got an erection and then eventually got blue balls? Seriously curious. It's science. :mrgreen:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:

If one of them couldn't pee or ejaculate, in what sense did it "work"? :think: It simply got an erection and then eventually got blue balls? Seriously curious. It's science. :mrgreen:

Maybe there was blood flow to that one, but the urethra wasn't connected to the prostate, seminal vesicle, and bladder?