Historic Sporting Events that You Witnessed in Person

Comments

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    1st SEC Championship Football Game
    Bear Bryant's 300th victory
    Gordie Howe's 1000th professional goal (WHA game vs B'ham Bulls)
    Jimenez's No-Hitter vs Atlanta Braves
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    Halladay's playoff no hitter.

I'm even in the crowd shot from that weeks SI. Yes, identifiable...the SI and scorecard and ticket are framed on the wall.

Too many to list PSU events to list.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Too many to list PSU events to list.

i wouldnt go bragging about those. ;):lol:
  • wpg pearlwpg pearl Posts: 1,258
    seen Adrian Peterson break the nfl rushing record and in the same game the longest touchdown ever off a missed field goal.2 great records in 1 game was epic :mrgreen:
    ajb
  • pjhawks wrote:
    3) Last Year Phillies Wilson Valdez becoming the 1st non-pitcher to get a Win as a pitcher in a major league game in like 80 years

Yeah, first since Babe Ruth. :lol:

I was there for the first 10 innings, but had to leave to relieve the tired babysitter. :cry:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    1983 - Clinching game for 76ers in series against Knicks in first round of NBA Playoffs at MSG

1991 - Men's semifinals and final at Wimbledon (Stich beat Edberg in semi and Becker in final)

2003 - Yankees beat Red Sox 2-1 at Yankee Stadium (Mike Mussina and Pedro Martinez both pitched great.)
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes ... 7070.shtml

2009 - UConn beats Arizona State in the East Regional Final to advance to the Final Four. They would finish the
    season 39-0 and win the National Championship of women's basketball.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,804
    Wrestlemania XV at the Spectrum :?
    other than that nothing historic. Did see Roy Oswalt play left field and Howard get tossed in that 15 inning game a few years back.

Also won the lottery for the Phillies game 7 NL Championship match-up against the Giants which never happened cuz they lost game 6 :x

Few other great games, but nothing historic or anything yet :(

edit: oh yeah I just remembered. Don Shula becoming the winningest NFL coach in history at the Vet in '93
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,530
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Kevin Millwood no hitter vs. SF Giants. Had my 6 month old fall a sleep in my arms but once it reached the 6th with no hits, I had to stay.

Duke v. Kentucky at the Spectrum 1992 I believe. Could be the greatest basketball game ever!

Edit. Eagles v. Packers 4th & 26! Fredex!

ha...i was at the millwood game and 4th and 26. wish i was at duke/kentucky though.

i also saw shawn bradley's best game as a pro...it was against the clippers in his rookie year...he had 28 points, 22 rebounds, 9 blocks and 9 what they called "intimidations" :lol: ...other than that it was a god awful sporting event and his career went straight downhill from there. sooooo, i guess, never mind.
    www.myspace.com
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,796
    A-Rod's 600th hr
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    A-Rod's 600th hr

i'll take shawn bradley's best game as a pro over that one.
    www.myspace.com
    igotid88 wrote:
    A-Rod's 600th hr

i'll take shawn bradley's best game as a pro over that one.

:lol:

Did you see philly Villains on comcast the other week Juggler? I think Shawn Bradley was in there.

http://www.csnphilly.com/villains
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    igotid88 wrote:
    A-Rod's 600th hr

haha, i was at this one too.

although i prefer:

1994 Stanley cup game 7
    my dad was at game 6 of the 1980 word series. Wish he had an extra a ticket so he could have taken me also :x
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    Yankees 0, Indians 22 :lol:
    http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=240831110

Last Jets game in the old Giants Stadium against the Bengals.
    Giants vs Dallas week 17 this year? (Probably not that historic...)
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Emmitt Smith Game
    USA3 - Porugal 2 S. Korea World Cup
    Jeter face first in stands (one of best games I've seen. This is just most memorable moment)
    Game 7 red sox Yankees (ugh!)
    Every UCONN Big East Championship in 90's
    St John's retiring Louie's win total (game Vs UCONN at MSG)
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Wrestlemania 15 at the First Union Center in Philly. It was an ok Wrestlemania but not the greatest ever. We did have a little bit of luck on the way home, though. The guy who was driving missed the turn to get back into NJ and we wound up passing by the Double Tree Hotel and saw a big crowd outside. We stopped and asked some girls if they knew what was going on and they said, "I don't know, something about wrestlers or somethign like that." So we parked and got out tried tohang out in the lobby but got kicked out for not being guests and went back outside and saw Vince and Shane McMahon enter the hotel through an entrance a little further from where we were (there were police officers keeping us from getting too close). After a while we saw some cars entering the garage with wrestlers in them (I remember Stone Cold but not much else). Then a bus pulled up and we saw a whole buch of wrestlers get off and walk by. I remember HHH, Chyna, and Mick Foley being on the bus. Most of the guys getting off waved and said hi as they walked by but Mick Foley actually stopped and signed autographs for a while. I couldn't get close enough to meet him, unfortunately.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    While in Jamaica in 1971 I think my Dad took me to Sabina Park in Kingston to see a Cricket World Test match between India and the West Indies. A guy from India did something incredible I dont remember but it was a treat to see Sir Garfield Sobers play at least once. Damn that was one hot day and did i ever get sunburned. :shock: a day i mostly wont ever forget.

I looked it up and here's some stats from the match....

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63066.html

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwyts9zo0BU

damnedest thing i've ever seen. Maybe not nationally historic but pretty big around here.
    God is an Ole Miss fan.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I don't know how historic it is to the rest of the country, but it's historic to Cowboys fans (even though I wasn't rooting for the Cowboys) and was named "The 4th Best Moment In The History Of Texas Stadium" by ESPN.

Thanksgiving Day, 1994. Third-string quarterback Jason Garrett (Troy Aikman and Rodney Peete were injured) starts against the Green Bay Packers led by Brett Favre. Garrett passes for 311 yards and 2 touchdowns to beat the Packers.

scan0015.jpg?t=1329322482
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    Manny Ramirez's 500th homerun at Camden Yards. :lol:
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    RW81233 wrote:
    Manny Ramirez's 500th homerun at Camden Yards. :lol:

At Memorial stadium I saw Mo Vaughn hit his first homerun. Over 500 ft he miss hitting it out of the bleachers and the stadium by 2 rows. the fan eventually gave it up for some prizes later after the game.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• I don't know how historic it is to the rest of the country, but it's historic to Cowboys fans (even though I wasn't rooting for the Cowboys) and was named "The 4th Best Moment In The History Of Texas Stadium" by ESPN.

Thanksgiving Day, 1994. Third-string quarterback Jason Garrett (Troy Aikman and Rodney Peete were injured) starts against the Green Bay Packers led by Brett Favre. Garrett passes for 311 yards and 2 touchdowns to beat the Packers.

What a sad day in Packer history.... :cry:
  • I saw this the other night but didn't want to jinx anything.....

I was fortunate to be suprised with tickets to my very first hockey game.... against the Blackhawks. I witnessed #14 straight wins at home.

We went to the box office to buy Roger Water's tickets and decided to get standing room tix to what would be the 20th straight win to tie the NHL record. Craziest time and crowd I have ever seen.

Tuesday morning, Nixon won tickets to the game for Valentine's night- a chance to break the NHL record of most home games won in a row, 21.......................... and they fucking WON! It was not at all what we had planned for Valentines day but I am so greatful to have witnessed this amazing moment! And, to top it off, I got to ride the Zamboni during the 1st intermission, which also allowed us to be down on the floor to watch most of the first period. A game I will never forget.......

I've requested that instead of a big wedding, we buy season tickets. He's not thrilled but I may be able to persuade him. :D
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I don't know how historic it is to the rest of the country, but it's historic to Cowboys fans (even though I wasn't rooting for the Cowboys) and was named "The 4th Best Moment In The History Of Texas Stadium" by ESPN.

What a sad day in Packer history.... :cry:

Yeah, I wasn't too happy. I had on my cheesehead, my Brett Favre throwback jersey, and was ready for a guaranteed victory. I guess I was a little over-confident, even without Troy Aikman they could still compete. They still had Emmett Smith and Michael Irvin. I remember quite a few throws that game weren't that great, but Irvin made plays out of it. I remember telling my dad I could probably quarterback the Cowboys with Irvin out there.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    September 21, 2001. Shea Stadium
    NYM vs ATL... Mets won 3-2

not sure if it's historic but it was the first major sporting event in the NY area after 9/11

i've been to Shea Stadium dozens of times.. i've never heard it as quiet as it was during the moment of silence.. i get chills just thinking about it
  • conman wrote:
    September 21, 2001. Shea Stadium
    NYM vs ATL... Mets won 3-2

not sure if it's historic but it was the first major sporting event in the NY area after 9/11

i've been to Shea Stadium dozens of times.. i've never heard it as quiet as it was during the moment of silence.. i get chills just thinking about it
    Piazza HR.

Yankee fan. Call the game by it's proper name. Don't need anything else. Definition of historic game. Thank you.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Lin's 9 TO game :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:

Why do you keep wishing injury? Raised eyebrow emoticon
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    State of Origin game 3 2011

Longest series winning streak Qld (6series)

Darren Lockyer most team captains games (36 games)

And seriously the loudest game I have ever been too! To say the atmosphere was electric wouldnt do it justice! Best game ever!!!!!

2 more weeks till footy season starts Woohoo!!!!
    81 wrote:
    :lol:
    www.myspace.com