Bug out bags

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,703
    Since my first reply to this thread was a joke (but you have to admit, it was a good one :lol: ) I should at least be thoughtful enough to give a serious answer as well so here it is:

I always carry with me the following items:

A bottle of water
    Swiss Army knife
    Matches
    Compass
    Eye glass repair kit
    A small basic first aid kit
    A six foot tape measure
    Pen
    Wallet
    A book
    Elastic knee, wrist and back support (Hey, I'm 60 -I've got arthritis- you probably don't need these.)

They all fit into a small day pack.

But these are just for everyday kinds of situations. What else do you need? Any situation that those don't cover means the world's gone to hell- you can have it.

Of course in an emergency situation my natural instinct to survive would probably kick in but so would my learned impulse to be with friends and, because we're that kind of people, to help others. Too often the survivalist mentality is each one for themselves. Long term survival of a community of people working together and taking care of each other seems more reasonable and appealing to me. If that choice isn't available, I'd rather sit on a hill, watch the flames and hope for a relatively painless death.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    brianlux wrote:
    Since my first reply to this thread was a joke (but you have to admit, it was a good one :lol: ) I should at least be thoughtful enough to give a serious answer as well so here it is:

A bottle of water
    Swiss Army knife
    Matches
    Compass
    Eye glass repair kit
    A six foot tape measure
    Pen
    Wallet
    A book
    Elastic knee, wrist and back support (Hey, I'm 60 -I've got arthritis- you probably don't need these.)

But these are just for everyday kinds of situations. What else do you need? Any situation that those don't cover means the world's gone to hell- you can have it.

Of course in an emergency situation my natural instinct to survive would probably kick in but so would my learned impulse to be with friends and, because we're that kind of people, to help others. Too often the survivalist mentality is each one for themselves. Long term survival of a community of people working together and taking care of each other seems more reasonable and appealing to me. If that choice isn't available, I'd rather sit on a hill, watch the flames and hope for a relatively painless death.

Brianlux I applaud your sensibilities,brilliantly written statement, brilliant man,just brilliant!

I too would hope if I knew I was going to die,I'd plug my mp3 into my ears,sit down and wait until the end.I hope I never ever develop the mentality that I will kill another to gain a few more minutes in this life when we are all going anyway.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • WaveRyderWaveRyder Posts: 1,128
    brianlux wrote:

A bottle of water
    Swiss Army knife
    Matches
    Compass
    Eye glass repair kit
    A six foot tape measure
    Pen
    Wallet
    A book

agreed. hopefully that is a choice.... but i value life and will do everything in my power to sustain mine, even if the world is in tatters.
    RC, SoDak 1998 - KC 2000 - Council Bluffs IA 2003 - Fargo ND 2003 - St. Paul MN 2003 - Alpine Valley 2003 - St Louis MO 2004 - Kissimmee FLA 2004 - Winnipeg 2005 - Thunder Bay 2005 - Chicago 2006 - Grand Rapids MI 2006 - Denver CO 2006 - Lollapalooza 2007 - Bonnaroo 2008 - Austin City Limits 2009 - Los Angeles 2009 - KC 2010 - St Louis MO 2010 - PJ20 Night 1 - PJ20 Night 2
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    stargirl69 wrote:
    We once went 9 days without any power,contrary to what you think may happen in a situation like that I found that everyone in our community helped each other out man,rather than going straight to pillage and survival of the fittest.

Similarly here, there was a storm and lots of people lost all power for several days. (Take note that this was firmly in the middle of winter.) People worked with what they had, helping each other, they didn't jump at their neighbour's necks and panic at the first sign of trouble.

I don't know.. This thread kind of creeps me out. Although I will be the first one to admit that having some form of emergency supplies is not a bad idea. (Stuff like a first aid kit and maybe some food in tins.)
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
    eMMI wrote:
    stargirl69 wrote:
    We once went 9 days without any power,contrary to what you think may happen in a situation like that I found that everyone in our community helped each other out man,rather than going straight to pillage and survival of the fittest.

Similarly here, there was a storm and lots of people lost all power for several days. (Take note that this was firmly in the middle of winter.) People worked with what they had, helping each other, they didn't jump at their neighbour's necks and panic at the first sign of trouble.

I don't know.. This thread kind of creeps me out. Although I will be the first one to admit that having some form of emergency supplies is not a bad idea. (Stuff like a first aid kit and maybe some food in tins.)

Absolutely,I agree,as I said we had a box with food,blankets and water but there was never any need for weapons
    stargirl69 wrote:
    eMMI wrote:
    stargirl69 wrote:

Absolutely,I agree,as I said we had a box with food,blankets and water but there was never any need for weapons

fire arms are a last resort but i would encourage everyone mentally fit to own a weapon regardless. You're never given a heads up about when you WILL need one, and besides, if criminals have guns I want law abiding citizens to have them too.
    RC, SoDak 1998 - KC 2000 - Council Bluffs IA 2003 - Fargo ND 2003 - St. Paul MN 2003 - Alpine Valley 2003 - St Louis MO 2004 - Kissimmee FLA 2004 - Winnipeg 2005 - Thunder Bay 2005 - Chicago 2006 - Grand Rapids MI 2006 - Denver CO 2006 - Lollapalooza 2007 - Bonnaroo 2008 - Austin City Limits 2009 - Los Angeles 2009 - KC 2010 - St Louis MO 2010 - PJ20 Night 1 - PJ20 Night 2
    WaveRyder wrote:
    fire arms are a last resort but i would encourage everyone mentally fit to own a weapon regardless. You're never given a heads up about when you WILL need one, and besides, if criminals have guns I want law abiding citizens to have them too.

Makes me proud not to be paranoid or American
    WaveRyder wrote:

:? Well that's a whole new box of fish.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
    stargirl69 wrote:
    WaveRyder wrote:

Makes me proud not to be paranoid or American

that's rude and condescending. Best of luck.
    stargirl69 wrote:
    eMMI wrote:
    stargirl69 wrote:

:thumbup: Having said that, I'm not exactly specially prepared for.. Anything really. :P I should really take a look at the innards of my cupboards, at least make sure my flashlight works.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    edited February 2012
    i remember I lost power three weeks ago during the Giants/Packers playoff game. It was out for almost three hours. I took four of my neighbors out and ate their dog. Semper fi bitches!! :lol:
    Post edited by DS1119 on
    DS1119 wrote:
    i remember I lost power three weeks ago during the Giants/Packers playoff game. It was out for almost three hours. I took four of my neighbors out and ate their dog. :lol:

i take it your a packers fan. ;)
    WaveRyder wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    i remember I lost power three weeks ago during the Giants/Packers playoff game. It was out for almost three hours. I took four of my neighbors out and ate their dog. :lol:

i take it your a packers fan. ;)

Neither. I just lost power...it was the middle of the winter and my surviavl instinct kicked in. German Shepard makes a fine meal! :lol:
  • frazbafrazba Posts: 601
    I never go out of the house without a can of this

http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http ... CCkQ9QEwAw

It works too, I've never once been attacked by one :D

Be prepared
    frazba wrote:

Be prepared

:D
    frazba wrote:

Be prepared

:lol:
  • CareyCarey Posts: 2,361
    stargirl69 wrote:
    frazba wrote:
    I find this thread scary on several levels!

If I mentioned to my wife that I thought we needed one of these, she'd figure I already had bugged out :D

Me too .. I wonder why people are expecting urban warfare and if they are American? :? Don't mean to offend but I have never heard of such a thing.
    When I lived in Canada we had a survival box with food,blankets and water in it but it wasn't for urban warfare it was because we were two hours drive from everywhere and often went without electricity.
    I too find this mind set scary as :?

Oh actually, my little stash of stuff was assembled during tornado season, I had that in mind. We have had a few tornado seasons in recent years that leveled nearby towns. My house (at that time) was out in the middle of nowhere. So, I put things like water, snacks for the kids, battery operated radio, etc and stashed it in my basement.
    "Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    Carey wrote:
    Oh actually, my little stash of stuff was assembled during tornado season, I had that in mind. We have had a few tornado seasons in recent years that leveled nearby towns. My house (at that time) was out in the middle of nowhere. So, I put things like water, snacks for the kids, battery operated radio, etc and stashed it in my basement.

This is more than acceptable. Now if you stocked that stash with a few hand grenades, an assault rifle, and some bullet proof vests...that would be a little extreme.
    People in LA start cars and fire and break out store-front windows when the Lakers win a game.............. if we go off the grid, I doubt it would be peaceful response by the masses.
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    Japan recently suffered a devestating earthquake and a follow-on disasterous, far reaching tsunami. Add on a nuclear plant meltdown that lead to a couple of large explosions and the leaking of radioactive material.
    The Japanese people sat in the dark for several weeks and shared what litte food and remaining shelter they had with those who had nothing. Complete strangers, that just happened to be caught in the same nightmare.
    What does that tell you about the Japanese people, in general?
    To me? It tells me that that is the kind of people I would want Americans to be.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Cosmo wrote:
    Japan recently suffered a devestating earthquake and a follow-on disasterous, far reaching tsunami. Add on a nuclear plant meltdown that lead to a couple of large explosions and the leaking of radioactive material.
    The Japanese people sat in the dark for several weeks and shared what litte food and remaining shelter they had with those who had nothing. Complete strangers, that just happened to be caught in the same nightmare.
    To me? It tells me that that is the kind of people I would want Americans to be.

cosmo, always the voice of reason

why is it when something devastating happens here (i.e. Katrina), it brings out the ruthlessness in so many people - the vandalism, looting

it's a disgrace

as cosmo said, we could learn a lot from the Japanese
    Cosmo wrote:

right. but the japanese have a disaster response training day every year and the country invests heavily in preparing its people for such disasters. we dont..... we should.
    Cosmo wrote:

So you mean they didn't have bug out bags stuffed with assault rifles and grenades ready to kill any rapists or looters?
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    WaveRyder wrote:
    right. but the japanese have a disaster response training day every year and the country invests heavily in preparing its people for such disasters. we dont..... we should.
    Agreed.
    But, lack of preparadeness does not make us barbarians. The bottom line... we are STILL Americans, even after a disaster, aren't we? That should count for something, right? If it does not, what does that tell us about ourselves... about America?
    I have a modest earthquake preparadness kit in my garage. I mean, I need to get into my garage to drag it out. If my garage is leveled, I'm shit out of luck. Same goes for my home and my car. If those are gone, too... so are my kits in them.
    But, I am not going to resort to killing another human being for a bag of stale potato chips. And if my kits are in tact, I will share what I have if someone, who has lost everything, comes along. He need not threaten my life with a gun for that stale bag of chips, because i will share it with him. If he decides to kill me... judgement falls upon him, not me.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
    Cosmo wrote:
    WaveRyder wrote:
    Agreed.
    But, lack of preparadeness does not make us barbarians. The bottom line... we are STILL Americans, even after a disaster, aren't we? That should count for something, right? If it does not, what does that tell us about ourselves... about America?
    I have a modest earthquake preparadness kit in my garage. I mean, I need to get into my garage to drag it out. If my garage is leveled, I'm shit out of luck. Same goes for my home and my car. If those are gone, too... so are my kits in them.
    But, I am not going to resort to killing another human being for a bag of stale potato chips. And if my kits are in tact, I will share what I have if someone, who has lost everything, comes along. He need not threaten my life with a gun for that stale bag of chips, because i will share it with him. If he decides to kill me... judgement falls upon him, not me.

Beautifully said Cosmo
    Cosmo wrote:
    WaveRyder wrote:
    Agreed.

i agree with everything in your post except one thing. I wouldnt kill another human to sustain myself, UNLESS that person was trying to kill me to sustain himself. Im not going to just let me and my loved ones die ... that's not american. life should be preserved and valued. if someone tries to break the social contract by stealing and killing, the state of nature kicks in.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    A better strategy is to just get into backpacking.

Plus, you will actually know how to use your gear once the shit hits the fan ... and more importantly, you actually get to use your stuff instead of letting it collect dust while waiting for shit to arrive.
    I signed up for a course this morning that teaches me how to make a shelter out of a cow's carcas and weapons from a pen. I'm going to be so ready when the end comes. :lol:
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Carey wrote:
    that freaked me out b/c I have two small kids.

it's amazing how much advertising is built around fear
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg