Bug out bags

WaveRyderWaveRyder Posts: 1,128
edited February 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Who's got one?

I started building mine today.

http://survivalcache.com/bug-out-bag/
RC, SoDak 1998 - KC 2000 - Council Bluffs IA 2003 - Fargo ND 2003 - St. Paul MN 2003 - Alpine Valley 2003 - St Louis MO 2004 - Kissimmee FLA 2004 - Winnipeg 2005 - Thunder Bay 2005 - Chicago 2006 - Grand Rapids MI 2006 - Denver CO 2006 - Lollapalooza 2007 - Bonnaroo 2008 - Austin City Limits 2009 - Los Angeles 2009 - KC 2010 - St Louis MO 2010 - PJ20 Night 1 - PJ20 Night 2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CareyCarey Posts: 2,361
    I don't really have this, but I do have a plastic tub with similar items, created after I saw a areyouready.org billboard that freaked me out b/c I have two small kids. I felt silly putting it together, but once I had the idea, I couldn't not do it!
    "Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
  • TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,385
    I've been putting things together for a few months now for mine. I won't say I have a comprehensive bag yet, but I have something that will serve me well should I need to strike out. I've got a few more outdoor survival pieces that I would like to add, and I will, but every piece added increases my odds.

Some of the stuff on that site you linked is crazy.
  • WaveRyderWaveRyder Posts: 1,128
    im also planning on purchasing a gas mask, too. As far as weapons, I already have a pistol and a hunting rifle, but i dont think a gun designed to shoot deer will work too well in urban warfare. Thinking about getting an assault rifle of some sort to remedy that situation. ;)
    RC, SoDak 1998 - KC 2000 - Council Bluffs IA 2003 - Fargo ND 2003 - St. Paul MN 2003 - Alpine Valley 2003 - St Louis MO 2004 - Kissimmee FLA 2004 - Winnipeg 2005 - Thunder Bay 2005 - Chicago 2006 - Grand Rapids MI 2006 - Denver CO 2006 - Lollapalooza 2007 - Bonnaroo 2008 - Austin City Limits 2009 - Los Angeles 2009 - KC 2010 - St Louis MO 2010 - PJ20 Night 1 - PJ20 Night 2
    Agreed. I have 2 handguns and a shotgun right now. I'd rather replace the shotgun with something like an AR-15. Like you said, something a little better suited for urban warfare. Also need to add a portable HAM. Too many expensive items to go in this thing, but once it's built, I plan on being able to make the most of it, should I need to be able to.
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Travelar wrote:
    Some of the stuff on that site you linked is crazy.

This

I have never heard of such a thing as this,makes me glad to live where I live I guess :?
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • frazbafrazba Posts: 601
    I find this thread scary on several levels!

If I mentioned to my wife that I thought we needed one of these, she'd figure I already had bugged out :D
    frazba wrote:
    I find this thread scary on several levels!

If I mentioned to my wife that I thought we needed one of these, she'd figure I already had bugged out :D

Me too .. I wonder why people are expecting urban warfare and if they are American? :? Don't mean to offend but I have never heard of such a thing.
    When I lived in Canada we had a survival box with food,blankets and water in it but it wasn't for urban warfare it was because we were two hours drive from everywhere and often went without electricity.

I too find this mind set scary as :?
    stargirl69 wrote:
    Me too .. I wonder why people are expecting urban warfare and if they are American?

This is more about preparation than anything else. I live in the DC metro area, but pick any large city. Let's say something big were to happen (natural or otherwise) and half of the city was leveled. What would you do to survive? This type of kit gives you the basics to survive for 3-5 days without the need for anything else. Are weapons necessary? Probably not. But you know what? People are generally unstable in this type of event because they aren't prepared. You're prepared (and have food/water/shelter), and they aren't, which potentially makes you a target. Also, depending on the scale of the event, you may have to turn to hunting for food.

Better to be prepared for the worst and not have to need it than to be left totally unprepared.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Travelar wrote:
    stargirl69 wrote:
    Me too .. I wonder why people are expecting urban warfare and if they are American?

This is more about preparation than anything else. I live in the DC metro area, but pick any large city. Let's say something big were to happen (natural or otherwise) and half of the city was leveled. What would you do to survive? This type of kit gives you the basics to survive for 3-5 days without the need for anything else. Are weapons necessary? Probably not. But you know what? People are generally unstable in this type of event because they aren't prepared. You're prepared (and have food/water/shelter), and they aren't, which potentially makes you a target. Also, depending on the scale of the event, you may have to turn to hunting for food.

Better to be prepared for the worst and not have to need it than to be left totally unprepared.

COuldn't you just hop in your car and go somewhere else?
  • frazbafrazba Posts: 601
    DS1119 wrote:
    Travelar wrote:
    stargirl69 wrote:

Quite, I think if I thought the place I was bringing up my kids was so dangerous that I needed to start stockpiling weapons and survival gear, I'd move.
    DS1119 wrote:
    Travelar wrote:
    stargirl69 wrote:

Your in NY DS,right? Is this something you are prepared for?

I still don't get the reasoning,maybe just me but it smacks of too many Hollywood disaster movies having been watched :?

I'd move if I was living somewhere that was deemed so dangerous I had to prepare with weapons etc :?
    stargirl69 wrote:

I still don't get the reasoning,maybe just me but it smacks of too many Hollywood disaster movies having been watched :?

I'd move if I was living somewhere that was deemed so dangerous I had to prepare with weapons etc :?

NYS yes. If I woke up one day and half of the city were destroyed I would either go the part of the city not destroyed or hop in my truck and go to another city. I truly am missing the point of the bag with how many stores, roads, etc there are in this country.
    DS1119 wrote:
    stargirl69 wrote:

NYS yes. If I woke up one day and half of the city were destroyed I would either go the part of the city not destroyed or hop in my truck and go to another city. I truly am missing the point of the bag with how many stores, roads, etc there are in this country.

New world order?

I agree even here in Scotland there are stores open 24 hours a day,yes they may run out of fresh essentials but these stores are huge,and there are many of them,some less than a two mile drive from one another,it would take weeks for them to run out of canned goods.

Just don't get it,best I leave well alone :?
    DS1119 wrote:

You're actually assuming that roads are passable and that a vehicle would do you good. Imagine an EMP that disabled all electronics, including vehicles. What if you had to walk 20 miles to even find a passable road? Again, the idea of something like this is for extreme emergency.
    Travelar wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

You're actually assuming that roads are passable and that a vehicle would do you good. What if you had to walk 20 miles to even find a passable road?

Man,do you know something the rest of us don't?
    Travelar wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

You're actually assuming that roads are passable and that a vehicle would do you good. Imagine an EMP that disabled all electronics, including vehicles. What if you had to walk 20 miles to even find a passable road? Again, the idea of something like this is for extreme emergency.

They used an EMP in Ocean's 11 right? That knocked the power out in Vegas for like 30 seconds. I think we'll be fine. :lol:
    stargirl69 wrote:
    Travelar wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

You're actually assuming that roads are passable and that a vehicle would do you good. What if you had to walk 20 miles to even find a passable road?

I think I'm definately missing something. I know Smalbany is small but there's more than one road out...I mean there's probably 1000's in all different directions. At least one road would be open. Shit, I saw Indepoendance Day and even though every city was being attacked by aliens the roads were still open. :lol:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Travelar wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

They used an EMP in Ocean's 11 right? That knocked the power out in Vegas for like 30 seconds. I think we'll be fine. :lol:

Hollywood :lol:
    stargirl69 wrote:

No. Not that I can talk about anyway. :) But I have done disaster training with several US Government agencies. Even looking at more recent events, like the hurricane Katrina evacuation for example, which was a pre-disaster event. Because so many people were trying to get out of the city, they sat in their cars for hours to only move a mile. And people abandoning their vehicles on the roadside didn't help. It only got worse afterwards. The entire point of this is to have some kind of a plan and be able to sustain yourself/family for the time it will take you to reach safety. Maybe some of have a more vivid imagination when it comes to what it will take to reach safety.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,703
    Who needs a Bug out Bag when you've got a Secret Decoder Ring?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux wrote:

:lol:
    brianlux wrote:

It's all that you will ever need. :)
  • Who the heck in their right minds would want to concoct such a disaster in their head and then want to see if they survive through it? Then...

You would never make it up against a military complex and martial law. Ive seen the Department Interior run the empty woods along the Canadian border. Forget it. :lol:

The path of Glenn Beck fodder.
    it's all about preparation. and i find it hilarious reading these posts that say "couldnt you just hop in your car and drive somewhere?" :lol::lol:

The other night the grid here in my town went down for like 15 hours. The big stores closed, so no one could get food, candles, flashlights, water, etc. Its a relatively small town but traffic got hectic during the shortage. The town was in a mini-panic. I realized that I wasn't prepared to go without power for very long.

and with the guns thing, if a scenario does play out, those who are prepared become targets, as someone already said.

Laugh about others being prepared, I don't mind, but you will if shit does ever hit the fan.
    DS1119 wrote:
    Shit, I saw Indepoendance Day and even though every city was being attacked by aliens the roads were still open. :lol:

i guess we're thinking of two different Independence Day films......I thought you were referring to the Will Smith one until you said that the roads were still open. Wasn't his stripper wife caught in traffic and if it werent for her find that nook in the tunnel, she'd have never been able to strip again. :lol::lol:
    WaveRyder wrote:
    it's all about preparation. and i find it hilarious reading these posts that say "couldnt you just hop in your car and drive somewhere?" :lol::lol:

The other night the grid here in my town went down for like 15 hours. The big stores closed, so no one could get food, candles, flashlights, water, etc. Its a relatively small town but traffic got hectic during the shortage. The town was in a mini-panic. I realized that I wasn't prepared to go without power for very long.

and with the guns thing, if a scenario does play out, those who are prepared become targets, as someone already said.

Laugh about others being prepared, I don't mind, but you will if shit does ever hit the fan.

Just wondering, and this is serious...what are you preparing for? If it's that serious an issue, and I'm being serious, those big stores that closed because the grid was shut down, someone is busting into those stores and taking the supplies they may hold.

Also, you mentioned traffic got hectic...if its that bad a situation leave and find another civilization until it's less hectic.
    Obviously you could still drive. :lol:
    WaveRyder wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Shit, I saw Indepoendance Day and even though every city was being attacked by aliens the roads were still open. :lol:

i guess we're thinking of two different Independence Day films......I thought you were referring to the Will Smith one until you said that the roads were still open. Wasn't his stripper wife caught in traffic and if it werent for her find that nook in the tunnel, she'd have never been able to strip again. :lol::lol:

And I guess when aliens attack Smalbany I'll be quicker to leave. Unless I could find someone with a backpack and a shotgun who could certainly protect me from alienas who flew millions of miles to take over the Earth and couldn't be defeated by nuke weapons...but glad you had that case of water and a shotgun. :? :lol::lol:
    DS1119 wrote:
    WaveRyder wrote:

Just wondering, and this is serious...what are you preparing for? If it's that serious an issue, and I'm being serious, those big stores that closed because the grid was shut down, someone is busting into those stores and taking the supplies they may hold.

Also, you mentioned traffic got hectic...if its that bad a situation leave and find another civilization until it's less hectic.
    Obviously you could still drive. :lol:

I live in a town of 5000 people.....hard to find a place less hectic. People freak out when they're forced to go without amenities.

as far as what im preparing for, nothing specific but anything could happen.
    Nuclear war
    massive earthquake
    a complete shut down of the grid, which could be caused by massive solar flares or at the hands of a foriegn or domestic enemy
    any terrorist attack on a wide scale

the scenarios are endless.

Someone mentioned that it wouldnt matter any way because the govt would enforce martial law or whatever, but what does that mean? Im assuming they meant that if shit does hit the fan, the feds will just round us up and confine us until everything is better. Uh uh, not letting that happen. I refuse to live in a govt cage. Id rather die in a gun fight than commit suicide or go willing to a prison camp. - call me nostalgic but when I say "liberty or death" i mean it.
    DS1119 wrote:
    WaveRyder wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

And I guess when aliens attack Smalbany I'll be quicker to leave. Unless I could find someone with a backpack and a shotgun who could certainly protect me from alienas who flew millions of miles to take over the Earth and couldn't be defeated by nuke weapons...but glad you had that case of water and a shotgun. :? :lol::lol:

if you live in a big city, you're probably fucked no matter what you do. I live in the midwest so i think i might have more one on one confrontations with the aliens. :shock:
    WaveRyder wrote:

What are you preparing for man? This scenario is so far removed from my level of comprehension.

We once went 9 days without any power,contrary to what you think may happen in a situation like that I found that everyone in our community helped each other out man,rather than going straight to pillage and survival of the fittest.

A kill or be kill survive or be eaten mentality is not the usual route people take.Unless your this guy that owns the store.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxNuQDxnECU