Options

WARNING: Fake EV guitar picks are in circulation!

flyinwhole313flyinwhole313 Posts: 1,651
edited February 2012 in Lost Dogs
Can you spot the fake???
3da8f8f3.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,065
    i can't except one is darker from the other but how many "replicas" is that guy on ebay going to sell?
  • Options
    i can't except one is darker from the other but how many "replicas" is that guy on ebay going to sell?
    The one on the right came out of Ed's pocket. The one on the left was purchased on ebay (unfortunately, back in 2008, so I cannot recall any info about the seller)
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    ya the one on the right has like a grain to it.
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,065
    The one on the right came out of Ed's pocket. The one on the left was purchased on ebay (unfortunately, back in 2008, so I cannot recall any info about the seller)

You are right Ralphy...I just looked at the EV picks I was blessed with receiving and they too have a "dirtier look" to them
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    In the fake one, the "V" goes all the way to the edges.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Shitty to see that people have spend as much as $50 for fakes on the ebay...
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    the left one looks cheap... do they feel the same?

we sure these just aren't 2 different batches of real picks?
  • Options

Unless a band member gave you a pick via their hand then who gives a crap about them anyway...same with all the other sign goodies and even still a band member's scratchings doesn't mean much.

My $0.02!
  • Options

The fakes are not smooth around the edges, they have a noticeable edge. I got another one from Ed during his 2011 tour and it is identical to the one I got in 2008, except that the blue color is not as worn out around the edges.
  • Options

I was wondering the same thing
  • Options
    I jumped on stage after the 7/15/11 seattle show and slowly strolled over and picked one up that EV dropped in front of the mic...i'm pretty sure its real...anyhow, the fake ones have a more square edge. I also own one of those. 10$...knew it was fake, as described in the ebay add..bought it for my son as inspiration during his guitar lessons...he's getting pretty good and will use the genuine EV pic one day. :D
  • Options
    Brisk. wrote:

Unless a band member gave you a pick via their hand then who gives a crap about them anyway...same with all the other sign goodies and even still a band member's scratchings doesn't mean much.

My $0.02!
    I agree. In 1970 I got some autographs of some sport legends and met them personally. Ted Williams , Bill Russell, Jesse Owens , etc. Those are great memories.
    People who buy the autographs years later at shows just is not the same.
    If you did not get the pick from the show that you attended who cares
  • Options
    Brisk. wrote:

My $0.02!
    I agree. In 1970 I got some autographs of some sport legends and met them personally. Ted Williams , Bill Russell, Jesse Owens , etc. Those are great memories.

Yup, and even still tonnes of people get picks at every show and get stuff signed every show so it's just meaningless, now a photo.. that's where it's at!

Think I got about 12+ Mike pics one show and just started handing them out, kinda realised it's lame..

But if you don't go to many shows I guess it's still exciting.
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    As far as I know there were a few batches of these made and theyre ever so slightly different. I've gotten one from Ev's tech and a handful of the same ones from Ev a year later and they were just slightly different.
    The real tell if they were fake would be the thickness, not the print. genuine ones are rather light. If it's heavy in any way, they're duds.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,740
    Theres a dude on ebay selling the signed Ed ved picks one after the other too always minus the wallet. be careful
  • Options
    bosshogg18bosshogg18 Tacoma, WA Posts: 1,084
    Brisk. wrote:

My $0.02!

I got a EV/23 and Jeff Ament pick at the Showbox 2004 show and they either fell out of my pocket or someone picked them out of my pocket during the show. I would love to replace them. This is why I would buy one on the secondary market, but most are fakes, at least on ebay. I bought a Jeff Ament pick on ebay. Although it the print looks the same, it does not have the same feel and the yellowish clear pick is more of a dull/matte finish than the original I had. If anyone has these picks (authentic) and is interested in selling or trading, please let me know. Thanks.
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,940
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Theres a dude on ebay selling the signed Ed ved picks one after the other too always minus the wallet. be careful

good business :|
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    arq wrote:
    pdalowsky wrote:

good business :|
    And the worst part is that he keeps the wallet which makes the pick itself seem more authentic to potential buyers. :(
  • Options
    starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,925
    this is super shocking. :lol:
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,740
    Theres always the loon on ebay asking for $1200 for a genuine ed ved wave pick :lol::lol::lol: