Options

2012 American Idol!

pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
This preseason tour of the cities very cool ... new cities
Aspen is gorgeous!
Opened in Savannah which was awesome ... last night Houston and a couple crazies
which we hadn't seen much of.... crazies.

Lots of talent, some great hopefuls this year,
love the stories they share, some tugging at the heart
and a whole lotta happy going on!

Loving the judges yet again ... Steven a little less doggy than last year...
he's gettin married! His personality I never would have guessed.
I judged him for too many years. :oops:

Jennifer more lovely and sweet than ever and 'Dog' awesome as always

Looking forward to new talent, a few tears as always, dreams come true,
and the hope, love and faith of family. :D

Here we go ... to the new American Idol!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    I don't watch these first episodes with as much devotion. I do like that the crazies and those that truly lack talent do not get too much attention. It is cool to see some that didn't make it last year returning to try again. Can't wait until Hollywood week is over and they start building the final 12. It is at that point that I start to double check that the PVR will turn on as scheduled. ;)
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    call me a bad person but I need more bashing and less feel good stories. a tad bit boring. good talent but these early shows i look for the jokesters.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    I never liked the auditions much but the shows are shorter this year 1 hour
    that we fast forward thru and they are spending less time on
    the people without talent but who may have special circumstances of interest.

I like the stories behind the people but you are right as they widdle it down
    those will not be there ...

this fella may not make it past Hollywood but he is just so likable
    his presence compelling for me.

The Wolf!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vhrb0b- ... re=related

last evening a beautiful young lady returned from when she tried out 5 years ago
    now 21 and has great potential
  • Options
    Nami wrote:
    call me a bad person but I need more bashing and less feel good stories. a tad bit boring. good talent but these early shows i look for the jokesters.
    We have had some great jokesters go on to be remembered too
    didn't one fella get a commercial I think

and dare I say pants on the ground that got too big here in Atl :lol:

I agree not a lot of laughs ... last night the revolution guy actually was a wee bit scary
    maybe
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    Not watching it so far this season, I just don't want to get sucked in again.
  • Options
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Not watching it so far this season, I just don't want to get sucked in again.

the other music show is starting too The Voice which we only saw the finale last year
    but I know was popular with some music fans

I really look forward to AI cause it makes me happy seeing all the happy people,
    the families, hopes and dreams come true ... it lightens my heart
    couple this with young talent and music period, granted, not polished,
    well thats my kind of show!

I know many think it is not cool but for me it is way cool and I even cry sometimes,
    and that is very very good for me! :D

If you don't succumb there is always youtube just to catch some talent
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    pandora wrote:
    Nami wrote:

I agree not a lot of laughs ... last night the revolution guy actually was a wee bit scary
    maybe

Yeah loved when security came in... lol time to go..
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    thank you for not using last years thread
    mgmt
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Nami wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    Nami wrote:

maybe

Yeah loved when security came in... lol time to go..
    he made a be-line for the door ... then got all crazy again ...
    when the bouncer was gone
    "it's not over till I say it's over"

they show these wacky people in the beginning of the show each season
    I actually fear for the Jennifer Randy and Steven a bit .. I hope it's not real

I've grown attached to the judges ;)
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    thank you for not using last years thread
    mgmt
    you're welcome ;)

Gotta start over for all the new talent! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPiMWi3RAwo

the lives, the challenges...
    the love!
  • Options
    Awesome! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgtKXQKPNhU this young man feels the music

and the lovely baritone is back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra97o2P_QrI :clap:
  • Options
    Honestly speaking...

I think since the original judges left, they have lessened the caliber of some of the contestants. Last year and this year some of the top 24 and even last years top ten would never have made it in with Simon and Paula there.

like this "gentile giant" Jerome..yeah GREAT GREAT baritone voice, but how many songs can he sing like that?

also like that the Original Idol had "theme" nights. Rock, country, R&B, etc... now there contestant can choose their genre. To me it doesn't show their range and ability to sing in any genre.

just sayin'
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • Options
    Honestly speaking...

I think since the original judges left, they have lessened the caliber of some of the contestants. Last year and this year some of the top 24 and even last years top ten would never have made it in with Simon and Paula there.

like this "gentile giant" Jerome..yeah GREAT GREAT baritone voice, but how many songs can he sing like that?

also like that the Original Idol had "theme" nights. Rock, country, R&B, etc... now there contestant can choose their genre. To me it doesn't show their range and ability to sing in any genre.

just sayin'
    Yes Jerome may not make it to the top 10 ... I agree his voice doesn't have the range
    or flexibility. But love the baritone and he's just sweet ...
    glad mama got to go up on stage
    so happy and proud she was, I love that!

I think they might still have some genre requirements
    I'll have to remember last year ;):lol:

It is definitely a kinder gentler place with these judges though,
    which I like that better myself,
    no need to belittle and tear down like Simon did...
    he was for the act though.

We fast forwarded last evening through those we just didn't care too much for
    (wow those commercials too my gosh soooo many)
    some songs to sappy but then the good ones stood out for sure

I'm all about the journey :D
  • Options
    Simon may have been overly harsh and insulting, However...taking the harshness and insults away
    I always thought his critiques were spot on. Again could he have been more constructive? Sure. but was his critiques usually right...yeah, I think so.

Plus....look at us as a society? If some one messes up a song at a concert or awards show, I don't believe the critics are so smooshy and kind. Maybe it was his way of prepping them for the big time?

who knows...

incidentally pandora...If I haven't said it before, I absolutely love, LOVE your optimism. We should all strive to be more like that. <3
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • Options
    Simon may have been overly harsh and insulting, However...taking the harshness and insults away
    I always thought his critiques were spot on. Again could he have been more constructive? Sure. but was his critiques usually right...yeah, I think so.

Plus....look at us as a society? If some one messes up a song at a concert or awards show, I don't believe the critics are so smooshy and kind. Maybe it was his way of prepping them for the big time?

who knows...

incidentally pandora...If I haven't said it before, I absolutely love, LOVE your optimism. We should all strive to be more like that. <3
    Oh! that's so nice of you to say! thank you! :D

As much as I disliked Simon's methods I did agree with his opinion pretty much always.
    I agree with you ... he knows his stuff!
    I think personally his generosity and heart is well known also.

You are very right that's a tough business can't wear your heart on your sleeve
    which is something I am guilty of. I feel for the kids heading head on into their dream
    and hope they are not disappointed by it or the human race.

Ladies tonight!! 8-)
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    That show is absolutely dreadful...there was a time that musicians had to bust their hump working in smoke filled clubs learning their craft...now they can go on a TV/talent show for 6 months and make all sorts of money :?. This however still doesn't make them influential or great just wealthy.

I know all musicians start out with the intentions of making tons of money...but most along the way have to learn to write and be creative along the way. None of these contestants on AI or the voice or any of the talent shows will ever become influential amongst the masses...you'll never see a Springsteen, Tom Petty, Pearl Jam or other type of influential artist...because one thing all great musician?artist seem to have in common is that they busted their hump in the industry and the music is still really important to them.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    EDDIE VEDDER TRASHES AMERICAN IDOL & REALITY TELEVISION

There is a great new interview up with Eddie Vedder on Surfline.com. Some really great stories from Eddie, here are a couple of excerpts from the article. First off, Eddie talking about reality television and American Idol:

“I think everybody should own a ukulele. People need a way to express themselves, they just do. It’s not like they don’t have time to learn because obviously, they’re watching shit like American Idol. Reality Shows offer nothing but hollow versions and the lowest common denominator of American lifestyles in 2011. I suggest turning off the TV and pick up the ukulele.”

Amen Eddie! Here is a quote from Eddie about how surfing to him relates to songwriting:

“The good songs ain’t ten yards offshore, being out there for ten minutes and coming back in and going back out. You gotta go deep, and get into some kind of mad-scientist phase at some point, to where the good stuff is. Like when you wake up the next morning and look at it or listen to it, whatever you’ve done and you don’t even really remember. It’s your voice, your handwriting but you don’t remember doing it. You gotta get to an extraordinary circumstance sometimes to get to the good stuff.”

http://grungereport.net/?p=4981
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    Roger Daltrey raps 'American Idol'
    By MESFIN FEKADU
    Associated Press

Roger Daltrey says there aren't many contemporary singers who could "lead" a band, and he blames shows like "American Idol" for it.

"A lot of the new people they choose on shows like 'American Idol' and things like that -- I don't ever hear lead singers," The Who frontman said. "They always seem to choose to pick people that are great singers, fabulous singers, but they've never got the voice that makes a great lead singer."

Daltrey, 67, went on to name drop some of music's best singers: "You hear 10 seconds of Rod Stewart, you know it's Rod Stewart. Ten seconds of Mick Jagger, that's Mick Jagger. Ten seconds of Eddie Vedder, you know that's Eddie."

English-born Daltrey says there is one exception in today's music scene: Adele.

"I mean, I love Adele. That's a lead singer, that's the real deal," he said of the British soul singer, whose sophomore CD "21" is the year's top-selling album in the United States and the United Kingdom.

So, would Daltrey join the panel of a singing show to fix what he believes is wrong?

"I'd probably throw them all out," he said, laughing.

"I quite like the idea of 'The Voice' -- that new show, simply because they have to choose the voices," he said. "They might present me with 50 voices and if I didn't like any of them I couldn't work with any of them. It would be pointless."

Daltrey made the comments while promoting his latest tour, "Roger Daltrey Performs The Who's Tommy," which kicked off earlier this month.

"I rediscovered how fabulous it is as a piece of music and I decided it needs to be heard," Daltrey said of The Who's 1969 "Tommy" album.

The CD, mostly composed by band mate and guitarist Pete Townshend, became a Broadway musical in 1993; a film version was released in 1975. But Daltrey says his new tour gives him a chance to present his side of "Tommy."

"I loved the film, but it's Ken Russell's view of 'Tommy.' The stage play was what it was, and that was Pete (Townshend) and (theatrical director) Des McAnuff's view of it. But to me it's always been the music that's important, and I can never get bored with that because it's brilliant," he said.

"It's a classically written piece of music and I've never seen Tommy as one person, I've always seen Tommy as all of us," he continued. "We're all screaming see me, feel me, touch me, heal me."

Daltrey says his voice has bounced back since he had a precancerous growth removed from his vocal cord just before The Who performed during the 2010 Super Bowl halftime show.

"It's sounding better than it's ever sounded, and this is an extremely long show," he said. "It's richer, it's got a different resonance ... but it's like Johnny Cash, his voice wasn't the same at the end. But it was his best work."

Daltrey's tour wraps up in the United States on Oct. 25 in Seattle, Wash. He'll visit Canada for five dates after.

• Options
    I wonder if my Idol Eddie ever watched the families...
    watch them laugh and cry, cheer and beam with pride,
    watched the young person grow as an artist and fulfill a dream
    they've had watching Idol since the were but wee things.

Its all in how you look at it and AI is always just what I expect...
    it is all that and more :D
  • Options
    However it has been reported that Roger Daltry put his name forward to be one of the judges...the job that went to Tyler apparently Daltry was not rock enough for them...

But I believe Tyler got out of rehab for an addiction to pain killers not long ago...really rock musicians in rehab for pain killers :lol::lol:, and is Aerosmith still a rock band...most of what they have done in the last 20 years or seems seems more top 40ish...I saw Aerosmith about 4 years ago and they did not play anything pre '85.

Maybe Daltry figured if their dumb enough to pay me 15 million a year...of course it comes from the producers...never heard Daltry's side of it.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/ ... 1620110427

• Options
    pandora wrote:

I highly doubt Eddie waste his time on that type of show...he'd more than likely be a club watching up and coming musicians and offering advice and help.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    pandora wrote:

I highly doubt Eddie waste his time on that type of show...he'd more than likely be a club watching up and coming musicians and offering advice and help.
    I think you miss the heart in the show...
    these are just kids with dreams it's one step in the dream or the only step
    after watching since it's inception .... why it is called Idol...
    some of the kids have idolized previous winners watching for 10 years now
    dreaming, working towards this goal, this along with the real musicians that are their Idols,
    of course.

It's all in how you look at things ... it's just for fun, you take it too serious
    it's not for you that's all.

I look forward to getting to know the contestants, their families
    and watching their dreams come true. :D
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    However it has been reported that Roger Daltry put his name forward to be one of the judges...the job that went to Tyler apparently Daltry was not rock enough for them...

But I believe Tyler got out of rehab for an addiction to pain killers not long ago...really rock musicians in rehab for pain killers :lol::lol:, and is Aerosmith still a rock band...most of what they have done in the last 20 years or seems seems more top 40ish...I saw Aerosmith about 4 years ago and they did not play anything pre '85.

Maybe Daltry figured if their dumb enough to pay me 15 million a year...of course it comes from the producers...never heard Daltry's side of it.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/ ... 1620110427
    I did not like Tyler for years, judging him wrongfully.
    I think he is great and been a good fit. I was not expecting the heart or the humor he brings.
    He is 8-) but can get fresh with the ladies... even the young ones...
    old rocker syndrome maybe better this year...
    funny in auditions though what he said to the Dad :lol:
  • Options
    YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    I agree with Daltrey that Adele is superb. So is Kelly Clarkson though...and she won American Idol's first season. I don't like all of Clarkson's songs by any means but she is a truly great singer. It's not studio tweaking that makes her sound good.
    I think AI was better when Simon Cowell was on the show. I liked that he wasn't soft-pedaling his criticism when he thought the performance wasn't up to snuff. When someone did a nice job he praised their performance. I also miss Paula Abdul's crazy unpredictability. The judges nowadays are rather staid compared to back then.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Options
    Yefa wrote:
    I agree with Daltrey that Adele is superb. So is Kelly Clarkson though...and she won American Idol's first season. I don't like all of Clarkson's songs by any means but she is a truly great singer. It's not studio tweaking that makes her sound good.
    I think AI was better when Simon Cowell was on the show. I liked that he wasn't soft-pedaling his criticism when he thought the performance wasn't up to snuff. When someone did a nice job he praised their performance. I also miss Paula Abdul's crazy unpredictability. The judges nowadays are rather staid compared to back then.
    I also miss Paula, I was quite a fan of her's in the 80's ... she's always a lady
    a little crazy yes, my kind of lady :D
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    pandora wrote:

dreaming, working towards this goal, this along with the real musicians that are their Idols,
    of course.

It's all in how you look at things ... it's just for fun, you take it too serious

naw.... I think he is more interested in The Voice :lol:
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

of course.

naw.... I think he is more interested in The Voice :lol:
    Our first year to see some of this ... it's fun too!

Blake is especially fun to watch ;)
  • Options
    I haven't missed the point of the show...it's a way for kids to try to get fast tracked into a record contract make a ton of dough...that's the reality of today's world though...it seems that so many in this generation wants to be fast tracked in no matter what they do...the truly legendary have to bust their hump take and their licks, those are the talents I appreciate.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I haven't missed the point of the show...it's a way for kids to try to get fast tracked into a record contract make a ton of dough...that's the reality of today's world though...it seems that so many in this generation wants to be fast tracked in no matter what they do...the truly legendary have to bust their hump take and their licks, those are the talents I appreciate.

Look at it as a talent show with a recording contract as the prize
    that is basically just what it is
    it takes nothing away from the greats... who many have been on the show as mentors.

And if you give it a chance take a look at the proud grannies, mothers, fathers, friends,
    watch the kids interact with each other and just know it is a marvelous time
    in their lives for them and their families ...

I rejoice in the innocent happiness because that is all it is for most of those
    who participate.