The National Football League

Comments

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    edited January 2023
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Wobbie said:
    most of the talking heads pretty much agree the bengals got hosed.
    At least they saw they same shit we did.
    Because of the late hit?  It was definitely out of bounds.
    I don't think anyone's disputing that call... it was about the only one the officials got right all night... BUT a flag should also have been in the air before mahomes left the pocket for offensive holding... & where was the flag for the hit on Burrows out of bounds... and wtf was up with the ticky tack DPI call against Cincy... and WTF was up with the do-over on 3rd down etc etc etc? 

That was one of those most poorly officiated games I've ever seen. 
    I don’t know.  I didn’t have a horse in it so nothing really stood out to me as game changing or egregious.  I’m not sure why the back or side judge blew that third down play dead, but he definitely did it. 
    It wasn't just 2 or 3 bad calls or missed penalties though...  I just mentioned 4 issues, and those weren't all of them either...

Didn't they lose time / not put enough back on the clock w/ the 3rd down do-over too? 

They weren't calling it both ways. If you're going to call everything, call everything. If you're going to let them play, let them play. Don't call one team tighter than the other. Again, I don't think the "fix was in for KC", I chock it up to incompetence, but to have officiating that terrible in an NFCCG is pure shit. 

EDIT: Oops - AFCCG

Me not smart. 
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    & them missing the offensive holding before Mahomes left the pocket for the late hit WAS game changing. 

Those penalties should have offset, no? 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    & them missing the offensive holding before Mahomes left the pocket for the late hit WAS game changing. 

at least....or since the holding happened first that might have negated the whole play
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

at least....or since the holding happened first that might have negated the whole play
    That's what I'm thinking... they should have had to replay that down from where they were, instead they got 15 extra yards after the run setting up the game winning field goal. 

Cincy fans have a right to be pissed. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Wobbie said:
    most of the talking heads pretty much agree the bengals got hosed.
    At least they saw they same shit we did.
    Because of the late hit?  It was definitely out of bounds.
    Previously stated the late hit was the right call, the other stupid shit.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,453
    It seemed like there were a good number of calls against the Bengals but that push out of bounds was a stupid mental error and they probably go to OT if he doesn't do that.

There was a big disparity against the 49ers too - they were clearly spiraling after failing to protect their QB's and those guys gotta call what they see. They said the guy was pushed into the punter on the roughing the punter call - kinda borderline on that one. It was 31-7 - and they are still blaming the refs - come on.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    It seemed like there were a good number of calls against the Bengals but that push out of bounds was a stupid mental error and they probably go to OT if he doesn't do that.

There was a big disparity against the 49ers too - they were clearly spiraling after failing to protect their QB's and those guys gotta call what they see. They said the guy was pushed into the punter on the roughing the punter call - kinda borderline on that one. It was 31-7 - and they are still blaming the refs - come on.
    With the exception of the roughing the kicker call, the PHI / SF game from what I saw was called pretty fairly. I don't think there's any real comparison between the two games...like you said, SF melted down and it showed. 

While on the subject: I hate when people point to the disparity of calls against as evidence of malfeasance. (Not saying that's what you're doing here). That seems to be a new thing in recent years... I guess I just don't know where the notion came from that refs need to call the same amount of penalties against each team to be fair. If one team is sloppier / less disciplined than the other, it's going to show. 

Calling it both ways is IMO the most we can ask for... which they sure as shit didn't do in the AFCCG. 
  • Options

With the exception of the roughing the kicker call, the PHI / SF game from what I saw was called pretty fairly. I don't think there's any real comparison between the two games...like you said, SF melted down and it showed. 

While on the subject: I hate when people point to the disparity of calls against as evidence of malfeasance. (Not saying that's what you're doing here). That seems to be a new thing in recent years... I guess I just don't know where the notion came from that refs need to call the same amount of penalties against each team to be fair. If one team is sloppier / less disciplined than the other, it's going to show. 

Calling it both ways is IMO the most we can ask for... which they sure as shit didn't do in the AFCCG. 
    I mean, we can go back and talk about SB LII - the Patriots CB's (esp Stephan Gilmore) were holding the Eagles receivers like they were ballroom dancing (including a big old tug of Alshon Jeffery's arm when he "failed" to make a one-handed catch and it was intercepted) but nary a penalty on their secondary the entire game. Meanwhile a couple of well timed illegal contacts conveniently extended drives for Mr. Brady. Yeah I'm still complaining about the only Super Bowl we have won.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options

I mean, we can go back and talk about SB LII - the Patriots CB's (esp Stephan Gilmore) were holding the Eagles receivers like they were ballroom dancing (including a big old tug of Alshon Jeffery's arm when he "failed" to make a one-handed catch and it was intercepted) but nary a penalty on their secondary the entire game. Meanwhile a couple of well timed illegal contacts conveniently extended drives for Mr. Brady. Yeah I'm still complaining about the only Super Bowl we have won.
    There were shit calls both ways in that game, including the TD they gave Philly where Clement clearly bobbled the ball, but what can you do? that was 4 years ago. Also your team won, it's ok to let it go. 

None of that changes how poorly the AFFCCG was officiated this year. 
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,296

There were shit calls both ways in that game, including the TD they gave Philly where Clement clearly bobbled the ball, but what can you do? that was 4 years ago. Also your team won, it's ok to let it go. 

Dude that was a catch. And one of the greatest throws in Super Bowl history, I might add. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Ball was in his hands the whole time - TD Corey Clement. Call was correct.

• Options
    edited January 2023

Dude that was a catch. And one of the greatest throws in Super Bowl history, I might add. 
    Doesn't look like a catch to me, but if you say so. 

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/02/04/super-bowl-eagles-touchdown-bobbled-patriots-replay-controversy/

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Ha.  Arguing over it these years later.  Love it.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Ha.  Arguing over it these years later.  Love it
    That call was some bullshit, as were some others in that game, but I'm not going to sit here and say it cost NE the game. 

The better team won that day. 
  • Options

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/02/04/super-bowl-eagles-touchdown-bobbled-patriots-replay-controversy/

That left foot there would've been his third step... TOUCHDOWN!

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

He hasn't completed the catch in that picture, but ok. 

Philly deserved the win & got it. Doesn't mean it wasn't a shit call. It's ok. 
  • Options

You are allowed (and were allowed under the previous rule that was in effect) to have slight movement after having two feet in bounds, while still maintaining control of the football. In this case, Corey was basically moving the ball from his right to left hand. He had control. 

Call on the field stands: TOUCHDOWN!

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Folks, I will gladly take any and every opportunity to post a Nick Foles gif.

You think I'm kidding? TRY ME. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

You are allowed (and were allowed under the previous rule that was in effect) to have slight movement after having two feet in bounds, while still maintaining control of the football. In this case, Corey was basically moving the ball from his right to left hand. He had control. 

There was more than a little word salad in trying to justify that call in the aftermath, but it's all good. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/corey-clement-super-bowl-touchdown-shouldnt-have-counted-troy-vincent/ 
  • Options
    edited January 2023

There was more than a little word salad in trying to justify that call in the aftermath, but it's all good. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/corey-clement-super-bowl-touchdown-shouldnt-have-counted-troy-vincent/ 
    https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/damn-right-clements-super-bowl-td-was-catch

There was movement but the possession wasn't lost. TOUCHDOWN.

Go Birds.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/damn-right-clements-super-bowl-td-was-catch

It is funny how a Boston publication and a Philly one can interpret the same quote differently. 

Go Birds.
    Of course the league had to do damage control after what Vincent said. They couldn't leave that nonsense hanging out there. 

Not to mention the USA today article I linked above wasn't a Boston publication. 

It's all good. The best team won that day, no argument here. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023

Hopefully the league doesn't implement any of next year's new rules for this year's Super Bowl.  :D
  • Options

Hopefully the league doesn't implement any of next year's new rules for this year's Super Bowl.  :D
    Hey at least you're not still salty over the Ertz touchdown like some people I know .
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2023

Hey at least you're not still salty over the Ertz touchdown like some people I know .
    Had NE not won the year before or after I might still be. 

I can't say it enough, Philly deserved that win. They were a team of destiny that year and it was one hell of a super bowl. Doesn't mean that wasn't a shit call, but good teams don't put themselves in a position to let one or two bad calls decide a game. 
  • Options
    You can say it all you want but you are still wrong and it was still a correctly called touchdown.

• Options
    You can say it all you want but you are still wrong and it was still a correctly called touchdown.
    It’s ok to admit your team benefitted from a bad call, which they did. 

Good luck next Sunday. 
  • Options
    If a player has control of the ball, a slight movement of the ball will not be considered a loss of possession. He must lose control of the ball in order to rule that there has been a loss of possession. If the player loses the ball while simultaneously touching both feet or any part of his body to the ground, it is not a catch.

Ruling on the field stands: TOUCHDOWN!

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Good luck next weekend guys.  :D 

• Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    Loved this.  Btw, Go Chiefs!

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    If a player has control of the ball, a slight movement of the ball will not be considered a loss of possession. He must lose control of the ball in order to rule that there has been a loss of possession. If the player loses the ball while simultaneously touching both feet or any part of his body to the ground, it is not a catch.

Ruling on the field stands: TOUCHDOWN!

My interest has been piqued here, so I pulled up the 2017 rulebook. That phrase you're quoting is in there, but it's only a note under article 7 and only applies after the player has established possession of the ball. The 1st item in the article pretty clearly defines possession. 

"ARTICLE 7. PLAYER POSSESSION.
    Item 1
    Player in Possession. A player is in possession when he is inbounds and has a firm grip and control of the ball with his hands or arms."

https://operations.nfl.com/media/2646/2017-playing-rules.pdf

Clement  never had a firm grip on it while inbounds which means he never established possession in the 1st place. They got it wrong. 

It's ok it happens. Doesn't mean Philly's title isn't legit. It just means the officials got that call wrong.