The National Football League

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,592
    edited January 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    Wobbie said:
    Steelers just picked up Haskins 

if he would get his shit together, he might have a career there.

or not.
    Considering where he went to college, I would say not.  Good luck to the team that wastes a draft pick on Justin Fields.  
    Yeah Ohio state pumps out shitty talent.  Good observation. 
    Shitty QB talent

Yeah we did cover that a while back.  Not any good QBs in recent times.  Homers can argue it but there is no case to be made.
    They certainly do crank everywhere else, though.
    Yeah,  Wyoming and Miami Ohio are great at qbs. Using the statistically significant number of "one" is all the evidence necessary. 

There are 32 starting qbs and maybe 25 good ones. There are 120ish D1 schools.  So yeah,  they're cranking them out everywhere.  
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,552
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Wobbie said:

or not.
    Considering where he went to college, I would say not.  Good luck to the team that wastes a draft pick on Justin Fields.  
    Shitty QB talent

Yeah we did cover that a while back.  Not any good QBs in recent times.  Homers can argue it but there is no case to be made.
    Yeah,  Wyoming and Miami Ohio are great at qbs. Using the statistically significant number of "one" is all the evidence necessary. 

There are 32 starting qbs and maybe 25 good ones. There are 120ish D1 schools.  So yeah,  they're cranking them out everywhere.  

I feel that you are being defensive for your school. 
    I am not...USC has a track record almost nobody can match for NFL players, Hall of Famers, 1st Rounders, etc....but they have produced very little at QB.  Carson Palmer was a very good QB.  Beyond that nobody was good for long.

No shame in this.  Most traditional powers have produced someone very good to great. 

Some, have not.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,601
    carson palmer was on track until he got his knee blown up
    edited January 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Wobbie said:

or not.
    Shitty QB talent

I feel that you are being defensive for your school. 
    I am not...USC has a track record almost nobody can match for NFL players, Hall of Famers, 1st Rounders, etc....but they have produced very little at QB.  Carson Palmer was a very good QB.  Beyond that nobody was good for long.

No shame in this.  Most traditional powers have produced someone very good to great. 

Some, have not.

Not necessarily for the reason of defending the school.  The point is stupid.  Justin Fields success or lack of success in the NFL has nothing to do with where he went to school.  There is literally no modern historical trend between a college, its coaching staff, and the success in the NFL.  The closest thing to a trend would have been in the 80's when Miami produced Kelly, Kosar, Testeverde, Torretta, Walsh, Erickson.  The first three were successful in the NFL. And it's a stretch to call it modern.  Since then, I challenge anyone to find a trend in QB production from a school and a coaching staff at the school.  There are so many factors that lead to a QB's success in the NFL.  Where they went to school is anomaly.  It's random.  It is NOT predictive.  That's the point. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,552
    Oklahoma seems like they have a QB system in place, right now.
    Also.... OSU has none.  Do you agree with this?
    That is why I felt it was a defensive position relative to your team.

Fields could be the first....who knows.
    Less than Michigan State did a few years ago.  FWIW, the book is still out on Baker (but he had a good year, and his good year is because he's now in a system with a coach (stefanski) who is utilizing him better, putting him in a position to be successful).  But that is yet another argument against the theory that the college he attended is somehow predictive.  And I personally think Murray will be relegated to backup within another year or two.  I think he's just too small. 
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,348
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Wobbie said:

or not.
    Shitty QB talent

I think 25 is too high a number.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,492
    mrussel1 said:
    Wobbie said:

or not.

Considering the record holder for passing yards in the NFL from an Ohio State alum is Mike Tomczak, I would say Fields doesn't have a very good pedigree.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
    mrussel1 said:
    Wobbie said:

or not.

Considering the record holder for passing yards in the NFL from an Ohio State alum is Mike Tomczak, I would say Fields doesn't have a very good pedigree.
    Another great point.  So tell me about the synergies between the recruiting, talent development and offensive systems between Coach Bruce, Cooper, Tressel, Myer, Fickel and Day.  I mean surely there must be tons in common other than the O on their uniform that would lead you to say that Fields going to Ohio State is a recipe for failure in the NFL.  Surely Mel Kiper, and GMs across the league are pouring over the numbers of Tomczak, Herbie, Joe Germain, Krenzel, Miller and all the other Buckeyes QB's when determining whether to draft Fields or not.  I mean it makes perfect fucking sense.  
    Here's a breakdown of the current starting QBs and where they graduated from.  If you count Hurts as a starter, OU has the most starting QBs right now.  Outside of that Louisville and Cal are the only other schools with more than 1.
    • Bills - Allen, Wyoming
    • Dolphins - Tua, Alabama or Fitzmagic, Harvard
    • Pats - Cam, Auburn
    • Jets - Darnold, USC
    • Ravens - Lamar, Louisville
    • Bengals - Burrow, LSU
    • Browns - Baker, OU
    • Steelers - Big Ben, Miami OH
    • Texans - Watson, Clemson
    • Colts - Rivers, NC State
    • Jags - Minshew, Wash State
    • Titans - Tannehill, Texas A&M
    • Broncos - Lock, Mizzou
    • Chiefs - Mahomes, Texas Tech
    • Raiders - Carr, Fresno State
    • Chargers - Herbert, Oregon
    • Cowboys - Dak, Mississippi State
    • Giants - Jones, Duke
    • Eagles - Wentz, NDSU or Hurts, OU
    • WFT - Smith, Utah
    • Bears - Mitch, UNC
    • Packers - Rodgers, Cal
    • Lions - Stafford, Georgia
    • Vikes - Cousins, Michigan State
    • Falcons - Ryan, Boston College
    • Panthers - Bridgewater, Louisville
    • Saints - Brees, Purdue
    • Bucs - Brady, Michigan
    • Cards - Murray, OU
    • Rams - Goff, Cal
    • 49ers - Jimmy G, Eastern Illinois
    • Seahawks - Wilson, NC State/Wisconsin
    Wobbie said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Wobbie said:

or not.
    Shitty QB talent

I think 25 is too high a number.
    Probably.  Which validates my point even more so.  The college one attended is arbitrary to success in the NFL.  I'm not a homer (well I am, but not on this point).  I don't think Ohio State has produced great NFL QBs.  But that has nothing to do with the future of Fields. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Wobbie said:

or not.

Another great point.  So tell me about the synergies between the recruiting, talent development and offensive systems between Coach Bruce, Cooper, Tressel, Myer, Fickel and Day.  I mean surely there must be tons in common other than the O on their uniform that would lead you to say that Fields going to Ohio State is a recipe for failure in the NFL.  Surely Mel Kiper, and GMs across the league are pouring over the numbers of Tomczak, Herbie, Joe Germain, Krenzel, Miller and all the other Buckeyes QB's when determining whether to draft Fields or not.  I mean it makes perfect fucking sense.  
    I'm not saying he shouldn't drafted high (or even at all).  All I'm saying is until I see an OSU QB be a successful starter on an NFL team, I'm inclined to believe they will be holding a clipboard for most of their NFL career (or all of it).

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Wobbie said:

or not.

I'm not saying he shouldn't drafted high (or even at all).  All I'm saying is until I see an OSU QB be a successful starter on an NFL team, I'm inclined to believe they will be holding a clipboard for most of their NFL career (or all of it).

Which is true for the vast, vast majority of quarterbacks that are drafted. Each year there are probably 10 or fewer starting QB jobs available in the NFL.  By simple numbers, more will fail than succeed.  Again, the success of QB has much more to do with pro coaching and organization than their college, along with arm talent. 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,152
    mrussel1 said:
    .  And I personally think Murray will be relegated to backup within another year or two.  I think he's just too small. 
    Just like those midgets Brees and Wilson...flashes in the pan who got relegated to backup after a few years.
    Murray was the #1 overall pick and is not going to be made a backup because of his height. That's a ludicrous take.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:
    .  And I personally think Murray will be relegated to backup within another year or two.  I think he's just too small. 
    Just like those midgets Brees and Wilson...flashes in the pan who got relegated to backup after a few years.
    Murray was the #1 overall pick and is not going to be made a backup because of his height. That's a ludicrous take.
    He's not going to be made a back up because of his height.  His height and sleight frame is a liability in the league.  His best success will be out of the pocket.  Sorry you think it's 'ludicrous' but there's a reason height is important when evaluating QB upside.  Do you think that it's a completely irrelevant metric?  I don't think it's impossible to overcome, but it's not easy to overcome and the vast majority of smaller players do not overcome this disadvantage.  Hence, from what I have seen thus far tells me that I don't think he will overcome it.  
    Anything else in this opinion that you think is "ludicrous"?  Perhaps we have different meanings of the word. 
    Here's a breakdown of the current starting QBs and where they graduated from.  If you count Hurts as a starter, OU has the most starting QBs right now.  Outside of that Louisville and Cal are the only other schools with more than 1.
    • Bills - Allen, Wyoming
    • Pats - Cam, Auburn
    • Jets - Darnold, USC
    • Bengals - Burrow, LSU
    • Browns - Baker, OU
    • Broncos - Lock, Mizzou
    • Giants - Jones, Duke
    • WFT - Smith, Utah
    • Bears - Mitch, UNC
    • Packers - Rodgers, Cal
    • Saints - Brees, Purdue
    • Bucs - Brady, Michigan
    • Cards - Murray, OU
    • Rams - Goff, Cal
    I count about 17 “good” QBs from that list.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,152
    I mean, he accounted for 37 TDs this year, a little shy of 5,000 combined rushing & passing yards, showed marked improvement over last year (rating went from 87.4 to 94.3, and improved in pretty much every metric), was the top overall pick and you say he'll be a back up in 1 or 2 years.

Yes I'd say ludicrous is the right word.
    Is height an advantage for a QB. Usually (hello Brock Osweiler). Is it a necessity, obviously not (Brees and Wilson are prime recent examples).
    But this guy is immensely talented and is not going to suddenly be deemed a back up in this league.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    • Bills - Allen, Wyoming
    • Pats - Cam, Auburn
    • Jets - Darnold, USC
    • Bengals - Burrow, LSU
    • Browns - Baker, OU
    • Broncos - Lock, Mizzou
    • Giants - Jones, Duke
    • WFT - Smith, Utah
    • Bears - Mitch, UNC
    • Packers - Rodgers, Cal
    • Saints - Brees, Purdue
    • Bucs - Brady, Michigan
    • Cards - Murray, OU
    • Rams - Goff, Cal
    This continues to make my point.  Even more so, Rodgers and Goff came from two different coaching staffs.  So other than playing at Berkley, there's nothing in common.  I believe the same is the case for Louisville.  Hurts is barely a starter, and definitely not "good".  So you have Oklahoma, that's it.  And they have had their share of busts quarterbacks too.
    • Bills - Allen, Wyoming
    • Bengals - Burrow, LSU
    • Browns - Baker, OU
    • WFT - Smith, Utah
    • Packers - Rodgers, Cal
    • Saints - Brees, Purdue
    • Bucs - Brady, Michigan
    • Cards - Murray, OU
    OK - 22. But Brees, Smith, Ben, Rivers won’t be good much longer. Carr, Ryan, Bridgewater are borderline “good.” the jury is out on tua, baker and herbert (altho I think herbert will succeed).

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    mrussel1 said:
    • Bills - Allen, Wyoming
    • Pats - Cam, Auburn
    • Jets - Darnold, USC
    • Bengals - Burrow, LSU
    • Browns - Baker, OU
    • Broncos - Lock, Mizzou
    • Giants - Jones, Duke
    • WFT - Smith, Utah
    • Bears - Mitch, UNC
    • Packers - Rodgers, Cal
    • Saints - Brees, Purdue
    • Bucs - Brady, Michigan
    • Cards - Murray, OU
    • Rams - Goff, Cal
    This continues to make my point.  Even more so, Rodgers and Goff came from two different coaching staffs.  So other than playing at Berkley, there's nothing in common.  I believe the same is the case for Louisville.  Hurts is barely a starter, and definitely not "good".  So you have Oklahoma, that's it.  And they have had their share of busts quarterbacks too.
    In all seriousness, I completely get your point and am not trying to say I'm right and you're wrong.  I am being cynical here and am saying I'll change my opinion when someone performs well enough to change it for me.  Maybe Fields will be that guy.  Until then, I'm going to keep making rash generalizations based on vague facts.

mrussel1 said:
    • Bills - Allen, Wyoming
    • Pats - Cam, Auburn
    • Jets - Darnold, USC
    • Bengals - Burrow, LSU
    • Browns - Baker, OU
    • Broncos - Lock, Mizzou
    • Giants - Jones, Duke
    • WFT - Smith, Utah
    • Bears - Mitch, UNC
    • Packers - Rodgers, Cal
    • Saints - Brees, Purdue
    • Bucs - Brady, Michigan
    • Cards - Murray, OU
    • Rams - Goff, Cal
    In all seriousness, I completely get your point and am not trying to say I'm right and you're wrong.  I am being cynical here and am saying I'll change my opinion when someone performs well enough to change it for me.  Maybe Fields will be that guy.  Until then, I'm going to keep making rash generalizations based on vague facts.

I think Fields has the highest ceiling that has ever come out of Ohio State.  Most of the QB's before Meyer's regime were game managers based on the "3 yards and a cloud of dust" strategy employed by Ohio State for roughly a hundred years.  Since then, Haskins and Cardale were both effective in the system simply because the Ohio State athletes were superior.  Fields has all the tools, is big, physical can run and make any throw.  He lost two games in his career, one to Clemson where he played great (last year) and one to Alabama where he did not play great, but in fairness that was an all timer of a Bama team.  And Ohio State lost its starting tailback on the first play of the game.  That never helps when you lose balance against Bama.  The way he tore up Clemson in the semis is exactly the Fields that Buckeyes fans watched for the last two years.  Will he bust?  Don't know.  Like I keep saying, it's all about the organization and coaching.  But he has the best chance of any Buckeye ever. 
    mrussel1 said:
    • Bills - Allen, Wyoming
    • Pats - Cam, Auburn
    • Jets - Darnold, USC
    • Bengals - Burrow, LSU
    • Browns - Baker, OU
    • Broncos - Lock, Mizzou
    • Giants - Jones, Duke
    • WFT - Smith, Utah
    • Bears - Mitch, UNC
    • Packers - Rodgers, Cal
    • Saints - Brees, Purdue
    • Bucs - Brady, Michigan
    • Cards - Murray, OU
    • Rams - Goff, Cal

I think we get that.  The other side is that you are not looking at the other point -- which is not that OSU has not produced a good starter in the league now...it is that it never has.
    Thus, people will scoff at an OSU QB being drafted up top.

Nothing awful about that - it is an understandable reaction.

@Wobbie gives me an unending stream of shit about USC QBs. 
    I like it.
    He has 12 favorite teams so arguing football with him is fun.  ;)
    mrussel1 said:
    • Bills - Allen, Wyoming
    • Pats - Cam, Auburn
    • Jets - Darnold, USC
    • Bengals - Burrow, LSU
    • Browns - Baker, OU
    • Broncos - Lock, Mizzou
    • Giants - Jones, Duke
    • WFT - Smith, Utah
    • Bears - Mitch, UNC
    • Packers - Rodgers, Cal
    • Saints - Brees, Purdue
    • Bucs - Brady, Michigan
    • Cards - Murray, OU
    • Rams - Goff, Cal

I think Hurts will have a better career than Mike Mdfqhfalkgjhbalkgvjbqrlkzak.

mrussel1 said:
    • Bills - Allen, Wyoming
    • Pats - Cam, Auburn
    • Jets - Darnold, USC
    • Bengals - Burrow, LSU
    • Browns - Baker, OU
    • Broncos - Lock, Mizzou
    • Giants - Jones, Duke
    • WFT - Smith, Utah
    • Bears - Mitch, UNC
    • Packers - Rodgers, Cal
    • Saints - Brees, Purdue
    • Bucs - Brady, Michigan
    • Cards - Murray, OU
    • Rams - Goff, Cal

I think we get that.  The other side is that you are not looking at the other point -- which is not that OSU has not produced a good starter in the league now...it is that it never has.

I like it.
    hey, fuckwad...I have 5...THEosu, ohio u., utah, wyoming, cowboys and kinda green bay.

also, whoever’s playing bama, ND, NE, michigan, seabags, BYU and/or the ravens.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    mrussel1 said:
    • Bills - Allen, Wyoming
    • Pats - Cam, Auburn
    • Jets - Darnold, USC
    • Bengals - Burrow, LSU
    • Browns - Baker, OU
    • Broncos - Lock, Mizzou
    • Giants - Jones, Duke
    • WFT - Smith, Utah
    • Bears - Mitch, UNC
    • Packers - Rodgers, Cal
    • Saints - Brees, Purdue
    • Bucs - Brady, Michigan
    • Cards - Murray, OU
    • Rams - Goff, Cal

I like it.
    But the point has no merit.  Is Wyoming suddenly QBU because Allen looks to be having a good career?  Will five stars drop OSU from their top 5 and replace it with Wyoming?  No of course not.  Jones, Haskins, Troy Smith and Tomczak are bad because they went to Ohio State, so Fields will be bad.  Then naturally the next Wyoming QB will be good.  

If one side of argument is true, then the other side of the equation must be true as well.  
    mrussel1 said:
    • Bills - Allen, Wyoming
    • Pats - Cam, Auburn
    • Jets - Darnold, USC
    • Bengals - Burrow, LSU
    • Browns - Baker, OU
    • Broncos - Lock, Mizzou
    • Giants - Jones, Duke
    • WFT - Smith, Utah
    • Bears - Mitch, UNC
    • Packers - Rodgers, Cal
    • Saints - Brees, Purdue
    • Bucs - Brady, Michigan
    • Cards - Murray, OU
    • Rams - Goff, Cal

I can't think of who you are trying to say there.  I get the joke, just not the who the actual player is. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    • Bills - Allen, Wyoming
    • Pats - Cam, Auburn
    • Jets - Darnold, USC
    • Bengals - Burrow, LSU
    • Browns - Baker, OU
    • Broncos - Lock, Mizzou
    • Giants - Jones, Duke
    • WFT - Smith, Utah
    • Bears - Mitch, UNC
    • Packers - Rodgers, Cal
    • Saints - Brees, Purdue
    • Bucs - Brady, Michigan
    • Cards - Murray, OU
    • Rams - Goff, Cal

I can't think of who you are trying to say there.  I get the joke, just not the who the actual player is. 

Tomczak?
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    • Bills - Allen, Wyoming
    • Pats - Cam, Auburn
    • Jets - Darnold, USC
    • Bengals - Burrow, LSU
    • Browns - Baker, OU
    • Broncos - Lock, Mizzou
    • Giants - Jones, Duke
    • WFT - Smith, Utah
    • Bears - Mitch, UNC
    • Packers - Rodgers, Cal
    • Saints - Brees, Purdue
    • Bucs - Brady, Michigan
    • Cards - Murray, OU
    • Rams - Goff, Cal

I like it.
    But the point has no merit.  Is Wyoming suddenly QBU because Allen looks to be having a good career?  Will five stars drop OSU from their top 5 and replace it with Wyoming?  No of course not.  Jones, Haskins, Troy Smith and Tomczak are bad because they went to Ohio State, so Fields will be bad.  Then naturally the next Wyoming QB will be good.  

If one side of argument is true, then the other side of the equation must be true as well.  

I watch WYO football....the current QB is not good. :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    • Bills - Allen, Wyoming
    • Pats - Cam, Auburn
    • Jets - Darnold, USC
    • Bengals - Burrow, LSU
    • Browns - Baker, OU
    • Broncos - Lock, Mizzou
    • Giants - Jones, Duke
    • WFT - Smith, Utah
    • Bears - Mitch, UNC
    • Packers - Rodgers, Cal
    • Saints - Brees, Purdue
    • Bucs - Brady, Michigan
    • Cards - Murray, OU
    • Rams - Goff, Cal

I like it.

Never vs. at least 1 from so many other schools.

If you don't get it, you don't get it.  I think it is obvious, but clearly that is the way I am seeing it.