Options

The National Football League

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,685

g under p said:

MayDay10 said:

you can certainly 'root' for other teams to some degree as long as it isn't front-running... and you do not wear apparel and act like a fan, complete with talking trash to other people, facebooking about how big a fan you are, or accepting congrats if they win. I guess a better word is 'pulling' for teams.

People certainly are allowed to pick a team for the Superbowl to pull for (without getting overly excited for reasons other than financial gain or if you have extreme dislike for one of the participants). Pulling for a team for a 'story' too is also permitted. Like Favre's last season, or New Orleans the season after Katrina, maybe a cinderella of some sort...

For me, in the NHL, I always root for the Western Canadian teams after Buffalo (EDM, CAL, WIN, VAN). But on a 1-10 of emotional attachment, they are like a 3 while Buffalo is a 10.

In the NFL, I don't really like any other team besides the Bills. Just who I put money on or FF interests... I kind of dig the Browns I guess because I'm an Indians fan and Cleveland/Buffalo are cousins.

Yes, I think pulling for those other teams is a more appropriate term to use. Even though I really do like the Ravens since I can't stand the Foreskins while I once lived in MD. I had friend gave me a Nationals hat once when we went to a game in DC. I wore it while at the game but took it off before the end...it was the very first time I ever wore another teams hat and the very last time. It just felt weird to not have a Red Sox hat on and I like the Nationals.

Peace
    you should never have put that hat on.
    You cursed them, that is what happened this season! LOL

Will you please put on a Cowboys hat? :rofl:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,240

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

It would be too ironic to see Goodell hand Brady or Kraft that 50th Lombardy Trophy. Then watch Brady stare Goodell off the stage....that would be too funny. I hope that scenario can come to pass.

Peace

that would be awesome
    from an Eagles fan. and you think that would be awesome. wow what a fraud. :confused::unamused:
    if the eagles don't win it, i'd love to see the pats win it just to piss people like you off.

once a cheater always a cheater!
    Dude, you've been on the Pats bandwagon for a good year now, at least on here. It's at the point where it's more than just hoping them winning will piss people off. I also find it mildly ironic that you are the person who started the fraud thread to call other people out.
    I've liked the patriots for years, actually.

and since the eagles and pats have no rivalry to speak of, I don't think it's fraudulent. but i'm always open to that discussion.

do you feel like you have to hate diamondbacks because of 2001? or the ravens for the 2000 sb?
    I don't think it has to do with that at all, though I don't like either of those teams.

I'd view it the same way you look at someone who likes the late 90's Yankees but didn't like them before that.
    hmmm. interesting take. I know hawks is always irrationally angry at me for the rivalry reason which is laughable to me. there is zero rivalry between the two teams. none.

i disagree with you because the yankees and lakers and cowboys etc are bandwagon teams that people gravitate to because it's popular to be fans of those teams. I think the pats are kind of anti those teams. just look at all the vitriol people have towards them in here. and it's not like I have a brady jersey or have my car littered with pats bumper stickers. i'm a birds fan first and foremost, obviously.

I just respect their greatness and ability to win year in, year out, while constantly changing their lineups and schemes on an almost weekly basis, especially in salary cap era. as a fan of the sport, they are fascinating to watch. they're an organization I want the eagles to be at some point down the road........well that, and they are the team I have easily made the most money on gambling over the years--including sunday. that was easy money.
    when did i ever say it was a rivalry? I just don't get any Eagles fan liking the Pats of hoping they win. Bottom line is there is a chance they cheated us out a Super Bowl and their owner, coach and QB are 3 extremely unlikable human beings. As Cliffy said from a guy who started a fraud fan thread and loves to call people out for their fandom I have to call Fraud on you and the Pats. sorry i don't get it.

the sad part about the Pats, Bellichek and Tom Brady is with Tom Brady at QB they probably don't need to do the underhanded things they do to consistently win yet they still do it. They would probably win just as much if they weren't cheaters but some people are just bad humn beings. I respect Tom Brady as a QB. Maybe the best ever but I've lost all respect for Bellichek and Brady as human beings and as sportsmen. I don't understand anyone outside of Pats fans wanting them to win.
    out for blood, I tell ya! the american people deserve justice for deflategate!
    haha

sorry i don't conform to your philadelphia sports fan stereotype. i'm just a rational person who thinks the stuff they were caught doing was pretty negligible, on par with what the phils were caught doing a few years ago. and in no way shape or form do I blame that for the eagles losing the super bowl. i'm more upset about those championship games they were actually favored in that they choked away. the pats were just the better team in '04. at some point, you will have to accept that. it's been 11 years already. time to move on, cataldi.

and, sorry fella, just because you think someone is unlikeable, doesn't mean other people are obligated to agree with you on that. talk about being irrational. haha.
    ok...but by your own definitely you are a fraud :smiley:
    uh, by my own "definitely" i'm not. there is no rivalry what so ever. they are not in the same division or conference.

the eagles have played the patriots 11 times in their almost 80 year team history. stop being irrational.
    oops clearly meant by your own 'definition' you are a fraud, not definitely. my bad.
    If you are a season ticket holder (if you still are) of an NFL team and say it would be 'awesome' (your words not mine) that another team wins the Super Bowl I would call that fraudulent behavior and i don't think any rational person would disagree with me.

once again i never said it was a rivalry. i've gaven you my reasons for not liking them. pretty much the same reasons why most people don't like them. not sure why that isn't clear.

Chalk me down as irrational then because I think that holding season tickets wouldnt make me stop being a fan of the sport and being able to appreciate another team's success if my chosen team to support did not win it. Head to head I would probably agree with you....but if my team of choice lost in the playoffs and another team (especially not the team that beat them to put them out, or not my natural rivals) was of interest to me I could/would fully root for them and depending on what might have interested me I might call it awesome.
    Seems odd that if my team doesnt win that I would not find any joy in the sport or find anything awesome.
    Judging by this and knowing that you are a Philly fan, have you never found a Super Bowl awesome? (Since they have never won) Been stoked for a team that won and thought it was very cool?
    Examples I can think of:
    John Elway getting his first ring, the 'helicopter' hit as he scrambled, how cool it was for him.
    The Saints winning one
    The Giants beating the Pats and stopping the undefeated season
    Spurt Warner leading the Rams to the bowl

Things/stories like that seem tough not to get behind as fans get excited for the NFL.

Is this what you feel it means to be a true Philly fan? I dont think I want to teach my son to have this outlook on sports, they are meant to be fun. (Even if your team crushes your heart, which happens to us all.) I am gearing him up at 1 1/2 in all things Eagles even though I am a 49ers fan. I want him to grow up loving the home team. (Just not hating every other team I guess)

i don't hate every other team. just some of them (want a list?). and while I can be happy for some teams, individiuals and fan bases winning (and some losing) i wouldn't call it 'awesome'. Awesome was the Phillies winning the 2008 World Series. It was nice when Elway won, and Vermeil won with the Rams and when the Pats lost to the Giants (although not great that the Giants won...lesser of two evils). Maybe it just semantics but that's just my take. If you find it awesome when another team wins a title what would you call it when your team wins it? Maybe Juggler can answer that - if awesome is reserved for the Pats this year Juggler what would the Eagles winning it be (other than a minor miracle)????

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,685
    pjhawks said:

i don't hate every other team. just some of them (want a list?). and while I can be happy for some teams, individiuals and fan bases winning (and some losing) i wouldn't call it 'awesome'. Awesome was the Phillies winning the 2008 World Series. It was nice when Elway won, and Vermeil won with the Rams and when the Pats lost to the Giants (although not great that the Giants won...lesser of two evils). Maybe it just semantics but that's just my take. If you find it awesome when another team wins a title what would you call it when your team wins it? Maybe Juggler can answer that - if awesome is reserved for the Pats this year Juggler what would the Eagles winning it be (other than a minor miracle)????

I am fortunate to be a fan of a team that has won a bunch and it is nut-busting, current riding, spectacularly fantastic, and nothing short of a high that lasts for a while.
    Having flown to New Orleans and gone to the last SB my team was in...and watched Kraepernick blow it from 1st and goal I can guarantee you this. Flying back to Philly with a plane load of Ravens fans up from BMore was excruciating. As in, they were singing the line from Seven Nation Army over and over and cheering (1/2 the fucking plane) and I was dreadfully hung over and rooting for the plane to hit a mountain.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,361
    edited October 2015
    jeez. hawks, how can you be such a weirdo? I thought it was awesome to see a team like the seahawks win a couple years ago too. I love how that team was built. reminded me of the birds of 25 years ago.

it would be awesome if the bills eventually win after so much heartbreak in the early 90's. lots of things are awesome. but obviously nothing would trump the eagles winning the sb, you dope. pretty much assumed that doesn't need to be implied.

you wonder why I call you irrational all the time? now it appears you have a certain thing for the word "awesome."

let it go, cataldi. it's been over a decade.

edit-- I think it would also be awesome to see the cubs win the world series. i'm such a fraud! (plus i think it can be easily argued that it was more fraudulent of you to root for a divisional rival in the sb twice than me liking the pats for christ's sake)
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126

jeez. hawks, how can you be such a weirdo? I thought it was awesome to see a team like the seahawks win a couple years ago too. I love how that team was built. reminded me of the birds of 25 years ago.

it would be awesome if the bills eventually win after so much heartbreak in the early 90's. lots of things are awesome. but obviously nothing would trump the eagles winning the sb, you dope. pretty much assumed that doesn't need to be implied.

you wonder why I call you irrational all the time? now it appears you have a certain thing for the word "awesome."

edit-- I think it would also be awesome to see the cubs win the world series. i'm such a fraud! (plus i think it can be easily argued that it was more fraudulent of you to root for a divisional rival in the sb twice than me liking the pats for christ's sake)

I also think it would cool and AWESOME if the Cubs win the World Series I'm rooting for them to get it done. I do wonder if they felt the same when the Sox won in 2004....man that win all seem like yesterday to me.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    edited October 2015

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/121118/are-you-a-sports-fan-fraud/p1

your thread not mine.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

your thread not mine.
    right. i posted the link yesterday. guess you're out of stupid things to say...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,761

pjhawks said:

your thread not mine.
    How dare you say it would be "awesome" to see a different team win a super bowl!
  • Options

pjhawks said:

your thread not mine.
    How dare you say it would be "awesome" to see a different team win a super bowl!
    i know right?

i'll tell you this though...it would totally NOT be awesome to see the mets win tonight.......though i guess that means it WOULD be awesome to see the dodgers win. god damn it. i'm so confused!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

pjhawks said:

your thread not mine.
    i know right?

i'll tell you this though...it would totally NOT be awesome to see the mets win tonight.......though i guess that means it WOULD be awesome to see the dodgers win. god damn it. i'm so confused!
    It can only be awesome if it's your team!

Back on topic....Falcons -3 seems too easy tonight. Feels like a sucker bet. But the saints are just awful. Think I gotta go Atlanta.
  • Options

pjhawks said:

your thread not mine.
    i know right?

Back on topic....Falcons -3 seems too easy tonight. Feels like a sucker bet. But the saints are just awful. Think I gotta go Atlanta.
    went the other way. for poops and giggles i did a small parlay on the saints and over. if i win, it will be awesome.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,555
    there's my boy matty fucking ice and his fucking eye black.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,619
    Not to get into semantics, but I'd agree that "awesome" is reserved for your team winning. Anyone else winning can be "pretty cool". I think it'd be pretty cool if the Cubs won it all
  • Options

Not to get into semantics, but I'd agree that "awesome" is reserved for your team winning. Anyone else winning can be "pretty cool". I think it'd be pretty cool if the Cubs won it all

lot of awesome in here
    http://community.pearljam.com/search?Page=p1&search=awesome&adv=1&discussionid=181786
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    edited October 2015

I think it would be awesome if the Cubs win the WS especially since we knew they would from
    BACK TO THE FUTURE II.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options

"amazing" is overused beyond belief...the food is amazing....the veiw is amazing, etc.

"amazing" food exists, but it's very rare.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Then there's Amazing Super Stores. Now, that's amazing!
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

thank you Cliffy. not sure why this is such a difficult concept for some here.
  • Options
    This was Juggler last night after the Aints covered his parlay.
    :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StTqXEQ2l-Y
  • Options

pjhawks said:

your thread not mine.
    i know right?

went the other way. for poops and giggles i did a small parlay on the saints and over. if i win, it will be awesome.
    Nice hit. I knew I shouldn't have taken Atlanta. Damnit.
  • Options

pjhawks said:

your thread not mine.
    i know right?

Nice hit. I knew I shouldn't have taken Atlanta. Damnit.
    I'm sure I'll probably give back what I won today.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2015

This was Juggler last night after the Aints covered his parlay.
    :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StTqXEQ2l-Y

I see what you did there. Awesome job. Haha
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cowboys WILL NOT lose today, fuckers!!!!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,486
    If Peyton was the old Peyton and with this defense he has. They would be unstoppable. They're 5-0 but not a dominant 5-0
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Lol, I loved those birds/pigeons on the field during the Broncos/Browns game. "That's a penalty for too many birds on the field." And then, "And they were offside." Good stuff.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Okay, I just witnessed Marvin Jones make 2 incredible plays. First, that catch between 2 defenders. And then that TD like 2 plays later. Holy shit. Watch these highlights if you didn't see those 2 plays just a minute ago. Incredible.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,918

Okay, I just witnessed Marvin Jones make 2 incredible plays. First, that catch between 2 defenders. And then that TD like 2 plays later. Holy shit. Watch these highlights if you didn't see those 2 plays just a minute ago. Incredible.

He's a great player. I'm happy to see him healthy again.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Jim Caldwell should not be a coach in the NFL. You are down 7 with less than 3 minutes to go and you kick a FG on a 4th and 4 from the 13. So now you need to make a stop and still need a TD.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,486
    The refs might give the Lions their first victory of the season
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    when cleveland went for two, I couldn't figure it it.

it may cost them the game. I hope not.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14