George Lucas Blames 'Star Wars' Critics for Killing Series

13»

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Also, I don't think the story in the prequels was strong enough to be stretched out over three films. Revenge of the Sith has the only strong story and even that had it's dragging moments.

It should have been one, three hour movie about the life of Anaken Skywalker. The Phantom Menace seemed so pointless to the series. They didn't even keep Darth Maul! They should have kept Darth Maul to be overthrown in Episode III.

i disagree. dont you remember yoda saying always two there are? he was speaking of(as im sure you already know) the existence of a master and an apprentice. to evolve the character of anakin darth maul could not have been retained... although it might have saved the lives of those little jedi kiddies.

i once read wher lucas said he wrote star wars for 12 year old boys. it made sense at the time cause although im not aboy(shocking i know) i was 12 when star wars came out. and i was so terribly excited and still get a thrill the second i hear that john williams music... in fact when i went to see phantom menace(which incidently is coming out in 3D here on my birthday next month.gee thanx george. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!!), i teared up when i heard it. hahaha yeah lame i know but whatever... thats who he wrote the prequels for... 12 year old boys. i dont think he understood that all those 12 year olds had grown up and were chomping at the bit to see them hoping theyd add something to their star wars universe... turns out the prequels fell way short of expectation and i find it difficult to believe that lucas would be happy with the way they turned out. perhaps thats why he cane help tinkering with them. the writing was atrocious, a lot of the acting wooden and considering the theme of balance was an important aspect of starwars, the lack of such makes my mind boggle. did he think the jedis could just tell anakin to sacrifice his civilian life and the love of his life and hed do it graciously and without question??? fuck no! lucas should have shown... and this is entirely my own opinion... what obi wan had sacrificed. there should have been a 'father -son' moment.. cause afterall who the fuck is anakins dad anyway??? oh thats right... the friggin' universe. and that whole shit about anakin building 3PO.. WTF!!! where did that come from... and where did it go??? oh thats right... nowhere. END OF RANT.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    SxDx1982 wrote:
    I felt like I was watching scenes from a computer game when I saw the prequels.
    Bioware could have done better justice if they were in control of the script. Anyone who has played Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect can attest.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    norm wrote:
    Was this fucking guy necessary?
    joh_yowza.jpg

wait...this is real? i thought this was another great photoshop job by satansfuton...lucas is a fuckhead
    I miss the funky original. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV0LD-QAzg0

and i just watched the "update" ugh

i'm seriously gonna have to see if i can get my old laserdisc player to work and see if i can transfer them to dvd...i have the original trilogy on laserdisc and it's probably the best digital version before he started his tinkering
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Jason P wrote:
    SxDx1982 wrote:
    Bioware could have done better justice if they were in control of the script. Anyone who has played Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect can attest.

Yeah, those two KOTOR games had way better plot than the prequels. Especially the first one, that would have been an amazing movie.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    norm wrote:
    i'm seriously gonna have to see if i can get my old laserdisc player to work and see if i can transfer them to dvd...i have the original trilogy on laserdisc and it's probably the best digital version before he started his tinkering

Yeah. They released the unaltered versions as bonus features on a DVD set back in like '08, but it's out of print now and expensive on Amazon or wherever. But they just transferred the 1990 laserdisc version over to DVD. You can rent them off Netflix, they have the theatrical and re-release version, so make sure you're getting the right one, and make a copy that way if you can't get your laserdiscs working.
    To hell with laserdisc, I'm keeping it old school with my VHS set and my old 21" tube TV!
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Jason P wrote:
    To hell with laserdisc, I'm keeping it old school with my VHS set and my old 21" tube TV!

first time i saw star wars was on betamax...and this was 1978! :lol:
    norm wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

first time i saw starwars was on original release at the cinema. it was a monday and my father allowed us to take a day off school to see it.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • SxDx1982SxDx1982 Posts: 124
    Jason P wrote:
    SxDx1982 wrote:

Yeah, those two KOTOR games had way better plot than the prequels. Especially the first one, that would have been an amazing movie.

I rarely play anything anymore so I'm not familiar with new games, but you're probably right!
    I'm still out here waiting
    Watching reruns of my life
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    norm wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

first time i saw starwars was on original release at the cinema. it was a monday and my father allowed us to take a day off school to see it.
    Same here, ended up seeing it 11 times in the theater, was totally smitten with it!
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Also, I don't think the story in the prequels was strong enough to be stretched out over three films. Revenge of the Sith has the only strong story and even that had it's dragging moments.

It should have been one, three hour movie about the life of Anaken Skywalker. The Phantom Menace seemed so pointless to the series. They didn't even keep Darth Maul! They should have kept Darth Maul to be overthrown in Episode III.

i disagree. dont you remember yoda saying always two there are? he was speaking of(as im sure you already know) the existence of a master and an apprentice. to evolve the character of anakin darth maul could not have been retained... although it might have saved the lives of those little jedi kiddies.

I realize that, BUT instead of adding Dooku after Mauls Death, they should have kept Darth Maul. Anaken could have overthrown Maul instead of Dooku in Episode III right before he turned to the darkside.
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    norm wrote:

Same here, ended up seeing it 11 times in the theater, was totally smitten with it!
    My first time was at a Drive-in cause i had chicken pox...first time at home was at my neighbours house - the first on our block to get a betamax....I think our entire block was crammed into their basement to watch it on their console tv. I practically lived there for weeks; must have watched it 25 times before my parents brought home this bad boy:
    jvcvhsvcrmodelhr-7100u_1.jpg

aaaahhhhh how times have changed.

I realize that, BUT instead of adding Dooku after Mauls Death, they should have kept Darth Maul. Anaken could have overthrown Maul instead of Dooku in Episode III right before he turned to the darkside.

hard to believe lucas went from a cool figure like maul to the wild eyed effervescent jar jar. oh and would it have killed lucas to have had a strong female character?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    hard to believe lucas went from a cool figure like maul to the wild eyed effervescent jar jar. oh and would it have killed lucas to have had a strong female character?

I thought Padme was a pretty strong female character. Well, until she died from what was essentially a "broken heart". :roll:

I thought Padme was a pretty strong female character. Well, until she died from what was essentially a "broken heart". :roll:

yeah boo for that lucas. tis as if thats all she was good for in the end. though i guess it fits in with episode 4. much easier just hiding babies than the former queen of alderaan. if it were up to me i wouldve had her in exile on the planet of chicks who kick butt and have her at least sacrifice her life defending her children. but then again shes not a jedi so her skills might just have been subpar or even non existant.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

I also didn't like the death of Anakin's mother.. At the hands of sand people? And she conveniently died RIGHT after he saved her.. Just silly. Kidnapped by the sand people conveniently enough right when Anakin decides to visit like 15 years later.

There were just so many story plots that seemed thrown together on the spot.
    I also didn't like the death of Anakin's mother.. At the hands of sand people? And she conveniently died RIGHT after he saved her.. Just silly. Kidnapped by the sand people conveniently enough right when Anakin decides to visit like 15 years later.

It's been a while since I saw EP. 2, but I don't think it was a matter of Anakin deciding to visit conveniently when she was kidnapped. He had been having premonitions through the force about something happening to her, so he decided to go investigate.

I thought Portman's portrayal of Princess Amidala was a strong female character. For all the crap she has taken on this thread for poor acting, that was strong chops, in my opinion.
    Speaking of strong female leads, I don't think that Carrie Fisher gets her due. What she did for portraying a strong female persona in cinama is not given it's due rights!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8Zsxa744YgyCsGU0aLQ6ngeMqkgZoSPBZ2vusq8T_lRC3hYVR

She has the ... the strong portra ... a ... uhm ... carrie fisher ...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMDq39ll7DVVM8Y84-qAdZm-aUDggLnclkCTYk6SQrgIgBn7Y_2A

whatsa wasa we taki'n about?

It's been a while since I saw EP. 2, but I don't think it was a matter of Anakin deciding to visit conveniently when she was kidnapped. He had been having premonitions through the force about something happening to her, so he decided to go investigate.
    Ah.. I forgot about that.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    if people around here can sit through backspacer, they can sit through phantom menace.

and vica-versa :mrgreen:
    Jason P wrote:
    I thought Portman's portrayal of Princess Amidala was a strong female character. For all the crap she has taken on this thread for poor acting, that was strong chops, in my opinion.

but i am so in LOVE with you!
    one more.

phantom menace has the strongest lightsaber fights out of any of the 6 movies. incredible. too bad it wasn't until the end and for only about 15 minutes of the movie.
    rival. wrote:
    one more.

phantom menace has the strongest lightsaber fights out of any of the 6 movies. incredible. too bad it wasn't until the end and for only about 15 minutes of the movie.
    They should have kept Darth Maul alive until the third movie, with his double light saber.. And let Anakin kick his ass right before he turned.

Would have been a better build up.
    The only good thing about The Phantom Menace was the teaser poster. After that it all went downhill.

phantommenace.bmp

Sure, the lightsaber battle was pretty cool, but it came after sitting through about an hour and a half of terrible movie, and it kept getting interrupted by stupid stuff like Anakin blowing up the droid control ship and yelling "Woohoo" as he flies out.
    and it kept getting interrupted by stupid stuff like Anakin blowing up the droid control ship and yelling "Woohoo" as he flies out.

:lol::lol:

and that poster is awesome. i remember the excitement when i first saw it. almost matched my disappointment after my dad and i left the theaters.
    rival. wrote:
    if people around here can sit through backspacer, they can sit through phantom menace.

and vica-versa :mrgreen:

not only could i not sit through backspacer... i no longer even acknowledge its existence. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    rival. wrote:
    one more.

well thats cause darth maul was such a bad ass character... and how could any character played by liam neeson not be awesome in a duel.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say