George Lucas Blames 'Star Wars' Critics for Killing Series

Comments

• SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Hayden and Natalie are both shitty decisions IMO... the fact that they had a shitty script and nothing to play off of but green screen certainly didn't help the fact that their acting is "meh"

I've never seen Hayden in anything else, but I have seen Portman, and I'm always amazed at how bad her acting is in the Star Wars films compared to her other work. The girl has an Oscar, but in the Star Wars movies she looks like a robot reading off of cue cards. I would imagine it probably has something to do with the fact that George Lucas isn't really known as an "actor's director", and that he probably cares very little about acting/delivery as long as they're standing on their mark in front of the green screen so he can put in his special effects, which is really all he cares about these days. But to be honest, nobody was winning an Oscar for their acting in the original trilogy, but I think the acting is much worse in the prequels. Though I do think Ewan McGregor did a good job, especially in the third installment.

I don't think George really has a leg to stand on in blaming the fans. They're the ones that made him a multi-billionaire, and if it weren't for all the cash grabs George has master-minded over the years the fans might not be as hostile towards him. I find the story especially funny because George never has cared, and made it a point to say he doesn't care, about what the fans have to say. I think he probably wants to retire, or doesn't feel like doing Star Wars anymore, so he's using the fans as a scapegoat.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    I'm a fan of the holy trilogy; each of the originals is close to my heart. I refuse to buy any of the blu-ray releases until George Lucas is dead though, or he decides to release the originals. He did say that while he's alive we'll never see the original version released again.

As for the bastard trilogy, they weren't all bad. The Phantom Menace was bad throughout and terrible during a few parts, I tried watching it again last year and found myself wanting to demolish my television through extremely violent means (gave it 3/10 on IMDB). Attack of the clones was alright, showing moments of brilliance along with some shittily written/acted/directed scenes (pretty much the entire love story). It did have its moments, and I appreciate it for what it was, ranking it 8/10 on IMDB. I quite enjoyed Revenge of the Sith, going so far as to rank it along with the original three at 10/10. Sure it's easy to concentrate on the bad ("NOOOOOOOOOOOO!", and Hayden's acting ability), but on a whole the good more than made up for it. It was a great end to the prequel trilogy.

As for George bashing the critics, he fails to realize that he may have created the series, but these critics MADE them what they are today. These people aren't criticizing him per se, rather they're making comments on the state of a franchise so near and dear to their hearts.
    He did say that while he's alive we'll never see the original version released again.

He's said that before, it's just his way of telling people to suck it up and buy whatever version of the trilogy is currently available, in case people thought about not buying it and waiting for the originals. He had said that prior to the un-tampered originals being released on one of the DVD sets as bonus features several years ago. Now that the Blu-Ray release is out, he'll probably put the originals out in a few years for another cash grab.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Hayden and Natalie are both shitty decisions IMO... the fact that they had a shitty script and nothing to play off of but green screen certainly didn't help the fact that their acting is "meh"

I've never seen Hayden in anything else, but I have seen Portman, and I'm always amazed at how bad her acting is in the Star Wars films compared to her other work.

The acting was purposely "bad".. It's a particular style that was meant to imitate early movies in cinamatic history, but I don't think it worked here... the acting was bad in the original trilogy too.
    He did say that while he's alive we'll never see the original version released again.

He's said that before, it's just his way of telling people to suck it up and buy whatever version of the trilogy is currently available, in case people thought about not buying it and waiting for the originals. He had said that prior to the un-tampered originals being released on one of the DVD sets as bonus features several years ago. Now that the Blu-Ray release is out, he'll probably put the originals out in a few years for another cash grab.

well that'll be when he finally grabs my cash.

I've never seen Hayden in anything else, but I have seen Portman, and I'm always amazed at how bad her acting is in the Star Wars films compared to her other work.

The acting was purposely "bad".. It's a particular style that was meant to imitate early movies in cinamatic history, but I don't think it worked here... the acting was bad in the original trilogy too.

It was bad, but it managed to somehow compliment the film. In the newer trilogy the 'bad' acting just made it harder for the viewer to feel the characters.
    Dont even get me started on the last Indy movie. What a travesty. Lost all respect for Spielberg.. :cry:

At least he accepted blame for the refrigerator scene.
    “Blame me,” Spielberg said. “Don't blame George. That was my silly idea. People stopped saying ‘jump the shark.’ They now say, ‘nuked the fridge.’ I'm proud of that. I'm glad I was able to bring that into popular culture."
    http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/s ... idea-32203

...and it looks like George Lucas won't even let Spielberg take the blame. He claims it was his doing, and defends it: http://www.slashfilm.com/george-lucas-i ... e-survive/
  • If you haven't then you NEED to watch these reviews. Hilarious but also very informative.

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star ... om-menace/

haha, very funny stuff. And I'm glad I held out to the 17 minute mark to see the guys basement!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)

That sounds like something George would make up after the fact as an excuse. Just like he said he always intended to have Luke and Leia be twins, but in the second movie they were playing tonsil hockey.
    That sounds like something George would make up after the fact as an excuse. Just like he said he always intended to have Luke and Leia be twins, but in the second movie they were playing tonsil hockey.
    He said that when the Phantom Menace was released.. Look at the acting in the old Flash Gordan serials, which Star Wars is inspired from.

It's not an excuse. Natalie Portman didn't just decide to act badly. It was a conscious artistic decision.
    He said that when the Phantom Menace was released.. Look at the acting in the old Flash Gordan serials, which Star Wars is inspired from.

It's not an excuse. Natalie Portman didn't just decide to act badly. It was a conscious artistic decision.

Then why not use old shitty special effects too? Yeah, he may have said it when Phantom Menace was released, because he had seen the finished result. I can't find anything on the internet to support this claim, just quotes from George and other actors that contradict it. And the fact that some people actually manage to turn in some decent performances over the course of the trilogy raises an eyebrow. Did they suck at bad acting or something? I realize the performances aren't intended to be completely serious, but some performances are just flat out awkward. To the point that it is distracting. I can't imagine a world where that would be intentional. I think it has more to do with the fact that George was not concerned at all with acting, and all the green screens and unorthodox methods used probably had an effect on the performances.

:lol: "Starving African children in Cambodia"
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Then why not use old shitty special effects too? Yeah, he may have said it when Phantom Menace was released, because he had seen the finished result. I can't find anything on the internet to support this claim, just quotes from George and other actors that contradict it. And the fact that some people actually manage to turn in some decent performances over the course of the trilogy raises an eyebrow. Did they suck at bad acting or something? I realize the performances aren't intended to be completely serious, but some performances are just flat out awkward. To the point that it is distracting. I can't imagine a world where that would be intentional. I think it has more to do with the fact that George was not concerned at all with acting, and all the green screens and unorthodox methods used probably had an effect on the performances.

this

i can't find the quotes, but i know i've read or seen carrie fisher talk about lucas' approach toward acting...which is basically non existent
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    norm wrote:

this

i can't find the quotes, but i know i've read or seen carrie fisher talk about lucas' approach toward acting...which is basically non existent
    Surprised..

I thought American Graffiti was amazing...
    GoiMTvP.gif
    norm wrote:

this

Surprised..

I thought American Graffiti was amazing...

it was and is...george was probably a little more involved in the acting aspects in that one since there was less special effects to worry about...also, look at the actors in that movie...probably didn't need that much directing :)

George's quote..

"It's not deliberately camp. I made the film in a 1930s style. It's based on a Saturday matinee serial from the 1930s, so the acting style is very 30s, very theatrical, very old-fashioned. Method acting came in in the 1950s and is very predominant today. I prefer to use the old style. People take it different ways, depending on their sophistication."

George's quote..

"It's not deliberately camp. I made the film in a 1930s style. It's based on a Saturday matinee serial from the 1930s, so the acting style is very 30s, very theatrical, very old-fashioned. Method acting came in in the 1950s and is very predominant today. I prefer to use the old style. People take it different ways, depending on their sophistication."

That doesn't really explain Natalie Portman's wooden performance though. She wasn't "very theatrical". And there are still many quotes that contradict it.

Just seems like more George bullshit. Somebody turns in a shitty performance, or the director did a shitty job directing them, and it's the audiences fault for not being sophisticated enough. :roll:
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    norm wrote:
    What a tool...face it George, you went way overboard with the computer shit and forgot about assembling any sort of decent script...as was said, you should not have directed them...and don't get me started on the fuckups, er sorry, improvements you made to the original 3
    Agreed. He is just obsessed, it's like nothing else exists to him except to keep tinkering with this series.

He needs to accept the brilliance he had in creating this story, and just let it be. The constant 'fine-tuning' is destroying it.
  • EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    Prequel trilogy was awful. End of story. I thought the second one was easily the worst of the entire series, although Hayden does have his laughable "struggle face" moments, which almost make it watchable. Outside of that, Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones were downright bad. Poor acting, awful awful script and pretty boring to watch. Revenge of the Sith almost makes up for it, but Hayden being a whiny brat the whole movie almost ruins it. The cheesiest line ever was the "you underestimate my power" from the final fight between Anakin and Obi Wan. Ewan McGregor was good in the latter two of the prequel and almost redeems it from the hell that they are.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Jason P wrote:
    I miss the Ewok victory dance song at the end of Jedi. That song fucking ruled!
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap::clap::clap:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    tybird wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

What about the original song from Jabba's Palace? Was replacing that really necessary either?

Was this fucking guy necessary?
    joh_yowza.jpg
  • SxDx1982SxDx1982 Posts: 124
    The characters and the stories behind them were better in the original series. I felt like I was watching scenes from a computer game when I saw the prequels. I thought the characters were very one dimensional.
    Of course I love them because I love everything Star Wars, but I like eps 4, 5 and 6 better. I mean, who doesn't? :ugeek:
    I'm still out here waiting
    Watching reruns of my life
  • tybird wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

What about the original song from Jabba's Palace? Was replacing that really necessary either?

joh_yowza.jpg
    yeah... the joe cocker alien is the WORST

THE WORST THING ADDED TO ORIGINAL 3

ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
    joh_yowza.jpg

wait...this is real? i thought this was another great photoshop job by satansfuton...lucas is a fuckhead
    norm wrote:
    joh_yowza.jpg

wait...this is real? i thought this was another great photoshop job by satansfuton...lucas is a fuckhead
    I miss the funky original. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV0LD-QAzg0
    norm wrote:
    joh_yowza.jpg

norm wrote:
    joh_yowza.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BogbtlJs1rI
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    norm wrote:
    joh_yowza.jpg

I thought that was fake too :(