Smoking

Comments

• frazbafrazba Posts: 601
    I'm giving up next week, my wifes told me I can go to Manchester with the money I'll save, if I smoke then I don't see PJ, simple as that. I've known for years that I need to but kept putting it off, I now have the motivation.
    Any views on inhalers/patches/gum etc? Do they help?

Can we use here as some sort of support thread, if I feel the craving I can come here and vent for a bit and hopefully it'll pass kinda thing?
    Btw, be prepared for some bad tempered grump old bastard posts in the next few weeks.. :x
  • frazba wrote:
    I'm giving up next week, my wifes told me I can go to Manchester with the money I'll save, if I smoke then I don't see PJ, simple as that. I've known for years that I need to but kept putting it off, I now have the motivation.

Can we use here as some sort of support thread, if I feel the craving I can come here and vent for a bit and hopefully it'll pass kinda thing?
    Btw, be prepared for some bad tempered grump old bastard posts in the next few weeks.. :x

you're a reader...

read the book
    http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Way-Stop-Smoking-Non-Smokers/dp/1402718616

I'll keep coming here and harassing you all with it until someone does read it :lol:
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

I've read it about 6 times, unfortunately didn't work (obviously), I'll dig it out and read it again because I think my problem the last few times was that I didn't REALLY want to stop, this time I do.

Thanks
  • frazba wrote:
    I've read it about 6 times, unfortunately didn't work (obviously), I'll dig it out and read it again because I think my problem the last few times was that I didn't REALLY want to stop, this time I do.

Thanks

you absolutely have to WANT to quit, for any of these suggestions to work.
    try to think about all the positives of quitting, and the negatives of not quitting.
    maybe that will motivate you to want to quit.

Good luck.
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    frazba wrote:

you're a reader...

read the book

I'll keep coming here and harassing you all with it until someone does read it :lol:
    You absolutely can come vent here anytime... I will listen
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    frazba wrote:

you're a reader...

read the book

You absolutely can come vent here anytime... I will listen

We all will....This place is awesome for support of any kind.
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    I loved cigarrettes..In the car, with coffee, chain smoking at shows, after a meal, etc..Smoked for 15 yrs..quit cold turkey 4 yrs ago. Was a bit rough at first but just smoked more plants to get through it..Never had a puff since. The fact that you cant smoke in bars anymore really helped me stop. Puffing smokes sitting at a bar was glamourous..ahahhah
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Wma31394 wrote:
    I loved cigarrettes..In the car, with coffee, chain smoking at shows, after a meal, etc..Smoked for 15 yrs..quit cold turkey 4 yrs ago. Was a bit rough at first but just smoked more plants to get through it..Never had a puff since. The fact that you cant smoke in bars anymore really helped me stop. Puffing smokes sitting at a bar was glamourous..ahahhah

yeahhh...my plant consumption has skyrocketed since i quit smoking ciggs :lol::mrgreen:
    but hey...at least i wont get cancer from that :D

• 2 weeks...
    Dont miss them one bit...

Went walking 5 times this week....
    Did 1.5 miles on day 1....
    Up to 3.0 miles on day 5.......

Fuck those cigarettes!!!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    2 weeks...

you swim too
    soon you'll be mr. fit driver who doesn't smoke
    running and swimming take mega oxygen as you know

good for you, speedster mcquick
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • chadwick wrote:
    2 weeks...

you swim too

I havent swam since summer....
    Since I moved....... there isnt an indoor pool close by...
    Actually there is...... but I just cant justify $80 a month for the fucking membership....
  • Keep up the great work. Stay tough for the long haul.
    There are some people who quit smoking and become contently confident in their abilities to stay away from cigarettes. Then a situation arises when the craving and temptation becomes strong again. The person may a say I will just have a couple cigs today and quit again tomorrow. This usually leads to continuous smoking again. Keep your guard up
    chadwick wrote:
    2 weeks...

you swim too

I havent swam since summer....
    Since I moved....... there isnt an indoor pool close by...
    Actually there is...... but I just cant justify $80 a month for the fucking membership....
  • guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    2 weeks...

Keep on Trucking ;)
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • big mickbig mick Posts: 773
    You guys are great!
    Reading England 2006, Manchester England 2009, London England 2010, Manchester 1 2012, EV London 1 2012
    Thanks for the offers of support, tomorrow is the big day, wish me luck! I'll let you know how I'm getting on.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    the e-cigs have done great for me. I just smoke that instead when I would normally have a real one. And I have started to even taper those off, without really meaning to. At least when I am in the situations I would normally smoke, I have these to fall back on. Lungs really cleaning out.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    tallman72 wrote:
    Hi guys, i just wanted to get something out there , i started smoking when i was 13 years old , my father smoked when i was a kid , and i have smoked now for 27 years in the last ten i would quit and start again over and over,the longest i have quit for was for over a year. This time i had my last smoke on new years eve,

i have two kids a fantastic partner a great life, i know that smoking kills , costs heaps of money , i know you can get cancer and die among other things, hell my dad died at 63 probably smoking had alot to do with that.

so it has been six days but the problem is i am hanging for a smoke, and the problem is i enjoy doing it, i actually like to have a smoke. how fucked is that!

i dont know what to do

Hang in there...I've been a non smoker for over ten years...the cravings do go away...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • frazba wrote:

The "quit smoking message board" was a life saver for me... lots of information there and most of the people were very nice. http://www.quitsmokingmessageboard.com/

as for quitting aids-it wouldn't hurt to try! 2 days after I quit, I found myself in the walgreens parking lot on the verge of a panic attack. I told myself that I was going to buy either a pack of smokes or some lozenges/gum . Went with the cherry 4G lozenges and THANK GOD I made that decision!

I found it was easier to get over the 'habit' part of smoking and -then- deal with the physical withdrawl from nicotine.

Do some reading and prepare yourself for the side effects of quitting... it really helps when you know what to expect and have a plan.

Good luck! You can do it if you really want to!
  • 2 weeks...

That's fucking awesome!!!!

Keep it going!!!
  • -3 windchill.....
    And I am outside walking for an hour.....

I fucking love it!!!

And I dont miss those fucking cigarettes one bit....
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,444
    So if I can give up smoking...
    And I can give up my cell phone for a week without missing it one bit....

I can surely walk away from this silly computer....

Right???

hehehe
    5 months...

Thanks heart attack.
    GoiMTvP.gif
    5 months...

Thanks heart attack.
    Just a couple of months for me...

But I truly dont miss them one bit...

Congrats on 5 months....

I bet you feel much better....

I know I do....
    5 months...

Thanks heart attack.
    Just a couple of months for me...

But I truly dont miss them one bit...

Congrats on 5 months....

I bet you feel much better....

I know I do....
    Weren't we both trading smokes in front of the Super 8 last week? :lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif
    Weren't we both trading smokes in front of the Super 8 last week? :lol:
    I am going to give it a year....

Then I am going to turn in to the biggest pain in the ass, holier than thou, non-smoker, this world has ever known...

My friends will hate me...
    My co workers will avoid me....

And I wont give a flying fuck.....

hehehehe
  • just tinajust tina Posts: 277
    good luck.

i quit two years ago. cold turkey. never thought i could do it, but it was easy enough that i wondered why i hadn't done it sooner.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    just tina wrote:
    good luck.

i quit two years ago. cold turkey. never thought i could do it, but it was easy enough that i wondered why i hadn't done it sooner.

I smoked from the age of 13 til I was 31 :( Oddly, I was never hooked! my mom's friend is suffering so badly with emphysema. she was hospitalized other times for it...but this time she became sick and was hospitalized before thanksgiving and just got home from the rehab place (like a nursing home) yesterday (that's over 3 months, away from home thanks to cigarettes.)
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Chief BroomChief Broom Posts: 2,036
    I haven't had a "nicotine delivery device" since 8/9/10! I quit cold turkey on a Monday! Still had a cigar in my pack. That's a hard thing to do when you work in a shop with all smokers.
    The kicker was when I realized I had been smoking for 1/2 of my life. I can't tell you how much better I feel in the morning. :D Now, almost 2 years after the public smoking ban went into effect in MI, I can't tell you how hard it is to breath with clouds all around me. I don't wanna be "that guy" at work but it's getting more and more difficult to keep my mouth shut. Seems to be a normal progression.
    MLMF Det
  • the thing i notice the most, is how much more i can smell and taste now.
    i always read that would happen, prior to quitting, but thought i was smelling and tasting just fine while i was smoking.
    boy, was i wrong!
    a while after having quit, i felt like i had super spidy senses!
    I could smell EVERYTHING. From what seemed like miles away!
    The downside?
    Smelling the smokers! People who smoke as much as I used to, smell like freakin truckers!
    (no offense truckers :lol: )
    Someone comes back inside after taking a smoke break :sick:

Funny I see the other side of it now.
    Before I quit, there was a girl that used to work with me, and she'd complain anytime someone came in from a smoke break... I always thought she was just being a bitch (well, she was a bitch, but thats besides the point :lol: ). Now, every time someone comes into the office smelling like that, I always think of her. I dont mind the smell of burning cigarettes...i think it actually smells good sometimes... its just that stale, "i just smoked a few ciggs in the car" smell that grosses me out.