Smoking

Comments

• photogirllizphotogirlliz Posts: 2,491
    To all of you who have quit, or are trying to quit, congratulations! I've only been to two funerals in my life...for the two people who mattered most to me (my grandmother and grandfather)...and they both died due to cancer caused by smoking heavily for countless years. Seeing them both go through chemo and breathing treatments, etc...was so terrible. Choosing to not put those you love through that is one of the best gifts you can possibly give. Best of luck to all of you!
    "I am myself...like you, somehow."
  • CheeksCheeks Posts: 151
    I started smoking at 14 and have quit more times that I can count... once for as long as two years. I quit very easily both times I was pregnant—as soon as I found out about the baby, I just stopped. However, I started up again gradually. At the end of this past October, I was about to go outside to have a smoke and my two-year-old says “Mommy, go have cigarette?” It happened to be the last smoke out the pack, and as I stood on the deck smoking, I couldn't come to terms with the fact that my two-year-old knew what cigarettes were. I also realized that I was standing outside, freezing my ass off, when I could have spent that time playing with her. I haven't smoked since. And something tells me this time it's for good.
    Cheeks wrote:
    I started smoking at 14 and have quit more times that I can count... once for as long as two years. I quit very easily both times I was pregnant—as soon as I found out about the baby, I just stopped. However, I started up again gradually. At the end of this past October, I was about to go outside to have a smoke and my two-year-old says “Mommy, go have cigarette?” It happened to be the last smoke out the pack, and as I stood on the deck smoking, I couldn't come to terms with the fact that my two-year-old knew what cigarettes were. I also realized that I was standing outside, freezing my ass off, when I could have spent that time playing with her. I haven't smoked since. And something tells me this time it's for good.
    Good for you! :clap:
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Good luck!

One day in the future it'll be my time.
  • big mickbig mick Posts: 773
    Cheeks wrote:
    Here's hoping! A massive tip of my hat in your direction, please be successful! I'm wishing you all the luck in the world! Enjoy your kids and stick around for as long as you can!
    Reading England 2006, Manchester England 2009, London England 2010, Manchester 1 2012, EV London 1 2012
    Claireack wrote:
    Good luck!

One day in the future it'll be my time.
    It will happen, think carefully and pick your date and bite the bullet! Stick around, let's not lose anyone.
    Reading England 2006, Manchester England 2009, London England 2010, Manchester 1 2012, EV London 1 2012
  • i quit 6 and a half years ago...good luck to all..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    mh210105 wrote:
    Cheeks wrote:
    Here's hoping! A massive tip of my hat in your direction, please be successful! I'm wishing you all the luck in the world! Enjoy your kids and stick around for as long as you can!

Thanks, guys! I think the trick is to find a real reason to quit... other than your own health, because that's easy to push aside. I quit for my daughter when I was pregnant with her, and I quit for her now. Don't get me wrong though, I LOVED smoking, it's hard, but I just deal with one craving at a time. I usually do push ups whenever I want a smoke... for some reason that seems to work, and I'm getting pretty strong! :lol:
  • one of the main points of the book...

"The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Alan Carr ;)

Is to pretty much brainwash yourself into realizing how nasty and horrible smoking is. Not only how awful it is for you, but how awful it actually tastes, and smells.

Of course, being a smoker, you say...but I love how it tastes, and i love how it smells, and i generally like smoking.

But what the book tells you to do, is think back to that very first cigg you ever had. Your initial reaction: a cough. Why? Because thats your body's natural reaction to it. You had to train yourself to like ciggs when you first started. Sure, it was easy to teach yourself to like it. For whatever reason you started - family, friends, stress, alcohol - it seemed like a good thing to do, and you told yourself you liked it.

Get the book. You can smoke while reading it. He actually tells you to light up a cigg when you first start. Take stock of each drag. Does it really taste good? What is it really doing for you? You think its reducing your stress, but in reality, all those chemicals, are raising your anxiety level. Every time you take a drag, tell yourself, this is gross, this is horrible and nasty. After doing that for a whole pack, you'll start feeling differently about smoking.

The only downfall, is that you may STOP reading the book, because you know that when you finish it, you'll have to quit smoking.

Trust me. Its so much easier this way. I had "quit" 2 times before reading the book. Was actually off the smokes for about 2 weeks, when my boyfriend bought me the book, and 2 packs of smokes. I was such an awful horribly moody bitch for those two weeks, he researched and found the book for me. I couldn't let him down. I had to read it then. I smoked till the very end of the book, and when i finished, i was out of smokes.

Its all in your head. You don't need them. They aren't doing you any good.
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    You can do it! Just take it one day at a time.
    I wish my parents would quit...I'm worried about their health. My grandpa is on oxygen now; he smoked for most of his life, and oxygen tanks are terrible. Plus a friend of mine who smoked a pack a day just got throat cancer. Stop smoking, people! It's not worth it!
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    tallman72 wrote:
    Hi guys, i just wanted to get something out there , i started smoking when i was 13 years old , my father smoked when i was a kid , and i have smoked now for 27 years in the last ten i would quit and start again over and over,the longest i have quit for was for over a year. This time i had my last smoke on new years eve,

i have two kids a fantastic partner a great life, i know that smoking kills , costs heaps of money , i know you can get cancer and die among other things, hell my dad died at 63 probably smoking had alot to do with that.

so it has been six days but the problem is i am hanging for a smoke, and the problem is i enjoy doing it, i actually like to have a smoke. how fucked is that!

i dont know what to do

My brother in law was a 40 a day guy. He read the book by Alan Carr and gave up immediately and never went back. (nearly 10 years now)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Eas ... 004&sr=1-2

worth a shot surely

Trick is not to say you have quit. You get in the mindset that you are already a non-smoker. IE the first stage is that you have already stopped. Not that you are stopping, or about to, or after the last one.

I never smoked but hey give it a go. And get a jar and put all the cash you would have spent in a jar for a year, and then go on holiday!

I know quite a few people who have achieved long term success of not smoking with that book,worth a try.I wish my bro would stop smoking,he has smoked since he was 9 :? now 52,never once gave up,but he gets so ill with chest infections,I get very scared of him getting cancer.
    A dear friend of mine was diagnosed with lung cancer on 28th September 11,died on 22nd November 11,8 weeks from diagnosis,docs told her husband the tumours had probably manifested 10 years before,by the time the cancer began to affect her it was terminal.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • TAKE EACH DAY AT A TIME.

Smoking is a killer addiction (literally) to quit. Just handle each craving as they come. Keep snacky stuff to feed the oral fixation- suckers are my fave.

Stick with it.
    Just wait til your sense of smell and taste come back, and the fact that you could run or do things without a constant weezing noise.

congrats on your decision to quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,133
    Good luck to everyone trying to quit! I smoked for 5-6 years before quitting a few years ago. It took me a few attempts at quitting before I was finally able to give it up for good. It always seemed that day 5 was the worst because that was where it got to me mentally. I think that for the failed attempts I wasn't truly ready to quit and that's why I started back again. The last time I was definitely ready to quit and gave it up cold turkey and haven't looked back since then. I did find that chewing gum really helped me with those cravings you get in the first couple of weeks. I contributed greatly to Wrigley's profits those weeks.
  • tallman72tallman72 Posts: 353
    I bought a packet this morning fuck
    tallman72 wrote:
    So you slipped...we all make mistakes and we all go through moments of weakness. Just take a minute to regroup, remember why you want to quit in the first place and get back on track. You can do it!
  • tallman72 wrote:
    Do not think of this as failure, think of it as practice. Most people have 7 to 10 quitting attempts before they are successful.
    When a craving comes try the 4 D's
    Delay. The cravings usually pass in 3 to 5 minutes
    Deep breathe
    Distract. Do something else with your hands. There are 100s of options
    Drink water. Water flushes nicotine and other toxins from your body
    No coffee ,alcohol, or sugar. These substances trigger nicotine cravings . Work on devloping a healthy lifestyle. Lifestyle changes can take 3 to 5 month to become routine.
    Be prepared for withdrawal symptoms insomnia, nausea , anxiety , irritability, these will diminish over a month. Seek help from others
    Have resolve, hold steadfast and firm towards this goal despite obstacles.
    This may be one of the most important decisions of your life
  • dasvidanadasvidana Posts: 1,347
    tallman72 wrote:
    Do not think of this as failure, think of it as practice. Most people have 7 to 10 quitting attempts before they are successful.
    When a craving comes try the 4 D's
    Delay. The cravings usually pass in 3 to 5 minutes
    Deep breathe
    Distract. Do something else with your hands. There are 100s of options
    Drink water. Water flushes nicotine and other toxins from your body
    No coffee ,alcohol, or sugar. These substances trigger nicotine cravings . Work on devloping a healthy lifestyle. Lifestyle changes can take 3 to 5 month to become routine.
    Be prepared for withdrawal symptoms insomnia, nausea , anxiety , irritability, these will diminish over a month. Seek help from others
    Have resolve, hold steadfast and firm towards this goal despite obstacles.
    This may be one of the most important decisions of your life
    great advice!!
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    Does your workplace have a smoking cessation program? If you're not sure, it might be worth asking HR. Lots of employers offer one, it's really not that expensive. If they do, you might have access to classes online/telephonically/in-person, counselors, nicotine patches/Champix-Chantix/Zyban, educational material, online forums much like this one where others are also trying to quit. It's common to take multiple attempts to quit, that's why pharmas make so much money off these drugs, so don't be hard on yourself if/when you slip.

Also, if you don't mind hanging out in the self-help section (or you can just order from Amazon) a friend who was battling addiction gave this to me awhile ago to read: http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Addiction-U ... 399&sr=8-1

It's not a 12-step "this is how you quit" or "you should quit because smoking is bad for you" type of book. It's all about the psychology of addiction and recognizing behaviours and patterns and emotions behind the addiction. I found it extremely helpful to understand him, and also myself (I have some addictive traits too, like hello, how many posters do I really need??)

Good luck to you.
  • guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    Hardest "ADDICTION" I have ever quit & I was on morphine for 6 months for pain!
    It' is not easy but you NEED to NOT want to smoke EVER again.
    You NEED to NOT want to smoke EVER again :ugeek:
    Until you give in & FULLY COMMIT to QUITTING it will not happen.
    You HAVE to WANT to QUIT.
    You NEED to QUIT.
    ADMIT to yourself that you will never POISON yourself with cigarettes.
    You ARE teaching your kids to smoke by smoking :shock: . ( if applicable )
    You ARE KILLING yourself with each breathe of smoke.
    You SMELL like shit when your smoking.
    Your clothes smell like shit after smoking.
    Your breathe smells like shit when your smoking.

I really hope YOU are able to QUIT.
    It won't be easy but NEVER give in.
    I hope ( for your sake ) your able to QUIT SMOKING FOREVER.
    If you NEED to, draw 10 good breathes between your fingers (like when your smoking) but not simultaneously ( no need to pass out).
    This should make you relax & calm yourself down a little when you are jonesing.

I really hope you NEVER smoke again,
    YOU CAN DO IT.
    YOU HAVE THE STRENGTH & WILL TO SUCCEED.
    Good Luck.
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    Smoking is disgusting and I will never smoke....smoke anything for that matter!
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Good luck to all those trying to quit, I've now been 8 days since a smoke and have to say it's not been difficult. I suppose I've been too busy to think about it much. It's not the first time I've quit so who knows what will happen.
    thefixer9 wrote:

You speaks the truth ... this is the man we need to be listening too :clap:

I worry very much about my brother,he has smoked for 43 years,never once has he even attempted to stop,but his health is really suffering now,he has had a un-cleared chest infection for months but his bigger problem is that he still enjoys smoking even although he knows all the risks.I don't think he will ever give up.The thought of him getting cancer keeps me awake but I also feel great anger and frustration at him for his disregard of the help his doctor has offered him to be able to stop and his arrogance that he even when on medication for the chest infections he continues to smoke.
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    stargirl69 wrote:
    thefixer9 wrote:

I worry very much about my brother,he has smoked for 43 years,never once has he even attempted to stop,but his health is really suffering now,he has had a un-cleared chest infection for months but his bigger problem is that he still enjoys smoking even although he knows all the risks.I don't think he will ever give up.The thought of him getting cancer keeps me awake but I also feel great anger and frustration at him for his disregard of the help his doctor has offered him to be able to stop and his arrogance that he even when on medication for the chest infections he continues to smoke.
    Tell him I was a 30 plus year smoker and I finally quit...

Because of a severe heart attack... that nearly killed me... Now I can't even be in a room with a smoker...
    He can do it voiuntarily or involuntarily ... If I were him pick the voluntary.
    GoiMTvP.gif
    stargirl69 wrote:
    thefixer9 wrote:

Tell him I was a 30 plus year smoker and I finally quit...

Because of a severe heart attack... that nearly killed me... Now I can't even be in a room with a smoker...
    He can do it voiuntarily or involuntarily ... If I were him pick the voluntary.

I know he can do this Adam but he just doesn't seem to want to,he is also overweight and crippled with other health issues,will it take his own heart attack to wake him up? :cry: I think part of the problem is he no longer has anyone to be well for,he has been on his own for a while now,no children,works all the hours is his life.

I think it is amazing how you have turned your health around,I may just show him this post :D Thank you
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i once tried smoking...just becuase i was curious what quitting was like. so i smoked a couple packs a week for 4 or 5 years.....

then i quit.

it was hell, and i wasn't a heavy smoker.

i've found giving up drinking is a lot harder....

anyways....it's all mental....if you want to quit, you will, if not, you'll continue to smoke. i suggest to embrace the pain and get off the cancer sticks.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    81 wrote:
    i once tried smoking...just becuase i was curious what quitting was like. so i smoked a couple packs a week for 4 or 5 years.....

then i quit.

anyways....it's all mental....if you want to quit, you will, if not, you'll continue to smoke. i suggest to embrace the pain and get off the cancer sticks.
    I'm sure him reading this while looking at your avi is helping :lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif
    edited January 2012
    tallman72 wrote:
    So you slipped...we all make mistakes and we all go through moments of weakness. Just take a minute to regroup, remember why you want to quit in the first place and get back on track. You can do it!
    +1 pick up dust off dig deep and carry on, I'm with you, lapsed Wednesday and Thursday of last week, but got back on track, its difficult but I'm finding mints helpful. YOU CAN DO IT, KEEP TRYING :D
    Post edited by big mick on
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276

:lol:

is that a requst for bubbles?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

then i quit.

:lol:
    I quit once while in university (I think it lasted a couple years that time). I found the thought of never smoking again too overwhelming and depressing. Instead, the set myself a smoking schedule. I bought a pack (they come in 20s here) and took 15 out. I let me self have five smokes for the day--and I would schedule them in, one on the way to school, one in between these classes, one after lunch, one on the way home and at a certain time in the evening. Then I knew I only had to make it to a certain time. Once that first pack was done, I cut down to four a day. I was stuck with one smoke in the evening for a long time, but one smoke a day is a hell of a lot better than 20 or whatever I was smoking.
    Keep trying various ways.... if you slip up, try again or a different method. It's hard though... I haven't smoked in two and half months and I still crave all the time. I do push ups when it's really bad and I get irritable.