Smoking

tallman72tallman72 Posts: 353
edited March 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Hi guys, i just wanted to get something out there , i started smoking when i was 13 years old , my father smoked when i was a kid , and i have smoked now for 27 years in the last ten i would quit and start again over and over,the longest i have quit for was for over a year. This time i had my last smoke on new years eve,

i have two kids a fantastic partner a great life, i know that smoking kills , costs heaps of money , i know you can get cancer and die among other things, hell my dad died at 63 probably smoking had alot to do with that.

so it has been six days but the problem is i am hanging for a smoke, and the problem is i enjoy doing it, i actually like to have a smoke. how fucked is that!

i dont know what to do
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tallman72 wrote:
    Hi guys, i just wanted to get something out there , i started smoking when i was 13 years old , my father smoked when i was a kid , and i have smoked now for 27 years in the last ten i would quit and start again over and over,the longest i have quit for was for over a year. This time i had my last smoke on new years eve,

i have two kids a fantastic partner a great life, i know that smoking kills , costs heaps of money , i know you can get cancer and die among other things, hell my dad died at 63 probably smoking had alot to do with that.

so it has been six days but the problem is i am hanging for a smoke, and the problem is i enjoy doing it, i actually like to have a smoke. how fucked is that!

i dont know what to do
    I havent had a smoke since New Years Eve either...
    And whats strange?? I havent had any craving whatsoever to have a smoke...

I just woke up New Years Eve and decided enough is enough and threw my last pack of cigarettes in the garbage.

Stick with it my friend...
    You have gone over a year without a cigarette, so you know in time, the cravings will go away.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    I used to 'like' smoking too. I loved it!! Ten years....25-30 a day (probably not that heavy the entire 10 years though)....used to smoke in the fucking shower each morning :? , in bed, at the dinner table, while eating etc. Every cigarette was inside the house while the aircon was on. My poor guests! :lol: My house (and me) must have REEKED!!!

Had my last cigarette on 4 January 2007. Haven't had a drag of tobacco since. So glad. I am soooo much healthier now....which isn't hard since I was using nearly an entire asthma puffer every week. :shock: Disgusting. And I would hack up crap like an old man in the mornings. So fucking unsexy!

You just have to push on and not give in. It's the only way. It will get easier. Once you get to that point where it's easy, you can NEVER have another one again. Sure, some people can....but they're in the very very VERY small minority and don't think you'll be one of "those" people because you're not. The fact that you quit for a year and started again is proof of that.

Good luck! :thumbup:
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
    I havent had a smoke since New Years Eve either...
    And whats strange?? I havent had any craving whatsoever to have a smoke...

I just woke up New Years Eve and decided enough is enough and threw my last pack of cigarettes in the garbage.

Stick with it my friend...
    You have gone over a year without a cigarette, so you know in time, the cravings will go away.

Have you ever quit before?
  • ZiggyStar wrote:
    I used to 'like' smoking too. I loved it!! Ten years....25-30 a day (probably not that heavy the entire 10 years though)....used to smoke in the fucking shower each morning :? , in bed, at the dinner table, while eating etc. Every cigarette was inside the house while the aircon was on. My poor guests! :lol: My house (and me) must have REEKED!!!

Had my last cigarette on 4 January 2007. Haven't had a drag of tobacco since. So glad. I am soooo much healthier now....which isn't hard since I was using nearly an entire asthma puffer every week. Disgusting.

You just have to push on and not give in. It's the only way. It will get easier. Once you get to that point, you can NEVER have another one again. Sure, some people can....but they're in the very very VERY small minority and don't think you'll be one of "those" people because you're not. The fact that you quit for a year and started again is proof of that.

Good luck! :thumbup:
    I once stopped smoking for 5 YEARS....
    And then started again.....UGHHH!!!!!!!!!

I know forever is a long damned time....
    But I truly hope I am finished with cigarettes.....FOREVER!!!!
    The fucking cost alone should be enough for me to stay smoke free.....

Good Morning Ziggy....

Good Morning Ziggy....

Good morning to you! :wave: Night for me!

Why did you start again? Did you think "I reckon I can just have one" and then another and another?

My mate recently quit smoking for 8 months....was going great....had NO cravings at all....had one...then the next time drinking had 2....then 'borrowed' a few from a friend....now he's bought a few packs. He's disgusted at himself. He thought he could just "have one every now and then". I said he's a dickhead and he should know that he's NOT one of those people. He has an addictive personality. So do I.

A pack of 30 cigarettes is nearly $20 in Australia! How much are they there?
  • ZiggyStar wrote:

Good Morning Ziggy....

Good morning to you! :wave: Night for me!

Why did you start again? Did you think "I reckon I can just have one" and then another and another?

My mate recently quit smoking for 8 months....was going great....had NO cravings at all....had one...then the next time drinking had 2....then 'borrowed' a few from a friend....now he's bought a few packs. He's disgusting at himself. He thought he could do it. I said he's a dickhead and he should know that he's NOT one of those people. He has an addictive personality. So do I.

A pack of 30 cigarettes is nearly $20 in Australia! How much are they there?
    I refuse to use the word "quit"....hehehehe
    I "stopped" smoking for 5 years....Because had I truly "quit"...I wouldnt have started again....hehehehe

And I couldnt even tell you why I started again....Other than pure stupidity....
    A smoke here...A smoke there...And a few weeks later I was hooked again....

A pack of cigarettes here is anywhere between $6-$10
    I "stopped" smoking for 5 years....Because had I truly "quit"...I wouldnt have started again....hehehehe

And I couldnt even tell you why I started again....Other than pure stupidity....

Fuck....so much more expensive here....which is good imo. Are you a heavy smoker?
  • ZiggyStar wrote:

Fuck....so much more expensive here....which is good imo. Are you a heavy smoker?
    Pack a day...

But I tell ya Ziggy...
    This time I am done.....
    Like I said..... for some reason I havent had any real cravings......
    I tossed out my ashtrays and lighters...
    I went to the store and bought some vitamins and supplements...........

If My wife has to send me to the fucking hospital in a straight jacket...In order for me not to light another cigarette....Then so be it.....hehehehe

But I am not lighting another fucking cigarette.....

Pack a day...

But I tell ya Ziggy...
    This time I am done.....
    Like I said..... for some reason I havent had any real cravings......
    I tossed out my ashtrays and lighters...
    I went to the store and bought some vitamins and supplements...........

If My wife has to send me to the fucking hospital in a straight jacket...In order for me not to light another cigarette....Then so be it.....hehehehe

But I am not lighting another fucking cigarette.....

GOOD!!! I'm glad! :clap: You'll die otherwise. And then all of us will be sad and crying and saying "remember that guy Speedy....Speedy something or other....that 'hee hee' guy....yeah he was a bit of a dick....but it's sad he died." ;):mrgreen:
  • Yeah Ziggy...
    Thats just it...
    I KNOW SMOKING IS KILLING ME........
    Anyone who thinks otherwise, is just a fucking fool....
    Yeah Ziggy...
    Thats just it...

Sooo good you've stopped again though....for good. Maybe you should start using the term "quit" now since you know you'll never start again! ;)
  • ZiggyStar wrote:
    Yeah Ziggy...
    Thats just it...

Sooo good you've stopped again though....for good. Maybe you should start using the term "quit" now since you know you'll never start again! ;)
    Nope...

I STOPPED smoking 6 days ago.....

hehehehe
    Nope...

I STOPPED smoking 6 days ago.....

hehehehe

:lol:
  • tallman72 wrote:

i dont know what to do

My brother in law was a 40 a day guy. He read the book by Alan Carr and gave up immediately and never went back. (nearly 10 years now)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Eas ... 004&sr=1-2

worth a shot surely

Trick is not to say you have quit. You get in the mindset that you are already a non-smoker. IE the first stage is that you have already stopped. Not that you are stopping, or about to, or after the last one.

I never smoked but hey give it a go. And get a jar and put all the cash you would have spent in a jar for a year, and then go on holiday!
    RDS Dublin - Aug 26 1995 (Neil Young with Pearl Jam)
    Millstreet Arena - Oct 24, 1996
    The Point - Oct 26, 1996
    The Point - Jun 01, 2000
    The Point - Aug 23, 2006
    Wembley Arena - Jun 18, 2007
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009
    The O2 - Jun 22, 2010
    Odyssey Arena - Jun 23, 2010
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Jun 20 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 26 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 16 2014
  • I was never a believer of the patch...
    Or using the nicotine gum....
    Or slowly cutting down....

To me using any of those methods is just silly....
    Thats just me though....
    All those methods do is prolong the inevitable....Right???

The object is to STOP smoking...Right???
    Then cold turkey is the BEST way...In my opinion.....
    I wanted to go cold turkey. My bf wanted to do use nicotine patches so I decided to do that with him so we both were experiencing the same feelings etc and could help each other out. 12 week program -- 4 weeks strong, 4 weeks medium, 4 weeks light patch. We wanted to do it perfectly so there were no "excuses" like "we forgot a patch today, fuck it, let's smoke". We used them religiously until one day in week 5 we both forgot to put one on and we didn't realise until about 2pm. We knew we'd beaten it that day and stopped the patches that week.

The ridiculous thing was it was cheaper for us to smoke than it was to get the patches!! The CRAZY dreams were great though. Best dreams I've ever had! Sooooo vivid!! I seriously considered keeping our leftover patches so I could have crazy dreams every now and then! :lol:
    For the OP: I used a website like this -- http://www.quitmeter.org/. It tells you how many cigarettes you haven't smoked and how much money you've saved. Really motivated me not to start again and puts how far you've come into perspective. Just counting days and months gets boring.

I set it up for how many my bf and I smoked together and I remember the day I looked at it and the meter said we hadn't smoked 10,000 cigarettes (between us)! It was only about 6 months into us quitting. Sooo bad now that I look back at it! :|
    This one looks better and is free as well: http://www.dedicateddesigns.com/qk/screens.htm

It shows days, cigarettes, money and how much extra life you've gained. The other one I linked to doesn't appear to show how many cigarettes you haven't smoked. That figure was the best figure for me to know. When you get to 1,000 cigarettes or 5000 cigarettes, it feels like such an accomplishment!
  • And what is it???

After 72 hours your body is no longer physically in need of the nicotine?? Right???

In other words...

After 72 hours of not smoking.....Its all mental, as far as craving another cigarette....

Correct???
    And what is it???

After 72 hours your body is no longer physically in need of the nicotine?? Right???

In other words...

After 72 hours of not smoking.....Its all mental, as far as craving another cigarette....

Correct???

What is what?

Yes I believe after a few days the nicotine is out of your system. And yes, it's all mental after that point. HUGE mental block to get past though.

Where's Black Diamond? He was wearing a nicotine patch for about 2 years! Seriously!! :lol::lol:
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    i had the perfect oppurtunity to quit after boot camp.... but i fucked it up :roll:
  • big mickbig mick Posts: 773
    Dear Friends,
    Please stop smoking, to mirror a sentiment made by a Mr Vedder, we have made it, we have made it this far, all the ups and downs that have happened over the last 21 years, let's stay together for longer. I want you all to stick around for the gigs, the chat and mutual interest. Think this, what does smoking DO for you..... Nothing, you don't get anything from it apart from sick and stinky, I want you to stay alive!!!!!! A dear friend of mine said this to me after a gig 3 months ago and very soon after I quit and the cravings can be unexpected and difficult to deal with, but you know what, I just don't don't have a smoke to get rid of the craving. Take a deep breath and think how crappy you are going to feel later in life when it all catches up with you.
    Let's make a collective effort!!!!!!
    Rant over.
    Cheers Big Mick
    Reading England 2006, Manchester England 2009, London England 2010, Manchester 1 2012, EV London 1 2012
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340

Correct???

Third day is always the worst! I remember anytime I've stopped smoking is because I've been sick for more than 3 days - tis a great way to do it. Of course, waiting until you get too sick to smoke isn't ideal ;) It's crazy what your brain will make your body do, just to satiate a craving :evil:
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • big mickbig mick Posts: 773
    I was never a believer of the patch...
    Or using the nicotine gum....
    Or slowly cutting down....

To me using any of those methods is just silly....
    Thats just me though....
    All those methods do is prolong the inevitable....Right???

The object is to STOP smoking...Right???
    Then cold turkey is the BEST way...In my opinion.....
    TRUE!
    Reading England 2006, Manchester England 2009, London England 2010, Manchester 1 2012, EV London 1 2012
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    tallman72 wrote:

i dont know what to do
    That is the problem ... liking it.

I quit after 5 years of very heavy smoking as a young woman but I don't think I ever really
    liked it that much cause I found it pretty easy to quit.

And I think a lot of nonsmokers assume all smokers want to quit
    which I have found is just not true.

But 6 days is way good... one day at a time
    you can do this!

Perhaps try a cinnamon stick ... thats what I did it kept my hands busy
    and it felt like a cig in my mouth.
    Also take the money you would spend on smoking and put it towards something
    you want on layaway or in a jar for a family vacation. Reward yourself!
    Even today celebrate 6 days!

Also keep a picture of your kids close by ...
    any time you think you want a smoke look at them
    and choose to live for them cause they are going to need you
    but even more importantly
    they need your example not to smoke cause you do not want to teach them
    this habit.
  • tallman72 wrote:

i dont know what to do
    You have to hang in there. It is so important !! I can offer advice on quiiting smoking.
    I have a couple DVD's about quitting smoking that I produced One is a live show that i did where I use props ,special effects light show, and plenty of good music to make my points. I can sed you free copies if you like . This tough period will pass . Do not give in. It is crucial. If you can not breathe , nothing else matters
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    tallman72 wrote:

i dont know what to do

First off I commend you for at least trying again. I used to smoke but was never really addicted and I liked it A LOT but fortunately I could stop and start with know real issue. I haven't smoked cigarettes for quite some time.

Think about this...Ist...Your lungs start healing right away...so look at it as your lungs as a muddy window and the moment you start to clean it someone throws more mud on it....

2nd....Everytime You think of sticking another cancer stick in your mouth, (gonna get a little harsh here..sorry it offends you) think of your kids...and think of them standing at your bedside when you are really really sick. We live for our kids, if that doesn't help you to quit...well..just saying, sorry for being harsh...
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."

• My brother in law was a 40 a day guy. He read the book by Alan Carr and gave up immediately and never went back. (nearly 10 years now)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Eas ... 004&sr=1-2

worth a shot surely

Trick is not to say you have quit. You get in the mindset that you are already a non-smoker. IE the first stage is that you have already stopped. Not that you are stopping, or about to, or after the last one.

I never smoked but hey give it a go. And get a jar and put all the cash you would have spent in a jar for a year, and then go on holiday!

:thumbup:

Read the Book!
    I quit March 2010 after reading it - after having smoked about 13 years :D
    Good luck!
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    I was a smoker for about 10 years. Maddening. Not really a smoker per se. I would/could go weeks without. Or just sneak a few during the week and binge on the weekends. Many people close to me have no idea I smoke. It would affect my personal life/family life as I would be 'needing one' and bail out of an event early, or try to avoid the gf/wife. I felt shameful to quietly sneak out the back door for one. Then my scent would be detected later and called out on it.

So I decided to end it in a way. I got an electronic cigarette kit. Now when I feel a desire to smoke, Ill just have that. I like it. It gives your throat a nice little hit, and tastes better. You dont smell at all. At least that allows me to stop the bleeding, ratchet down the nicotine a bit. Now when friends are all 'going out for a smoke', I can partake with my phony cigarette.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    Thirty years ago I can remember saying....when cigarettes cost $5 a pack EVERYBODY would quit smoking. Man was I ever wrong, it just goes to show addictive in nature cigarettes are. Good luck in giving them up....I could never adjust to the smell from cigarettes.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)