Options

Public ignorance to pj

Comments

• Options
    much harder to pick one crazy person if you look around the board though
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!
  • Options
    Hamaury wrote:
    Here is my opinion on this matter.

I dont think they want to be known by everyone. The number of fans of Pearl Jam are smaller than the Foo Fighters or the Chilli Peppers, but i am 100% sure, that we, Pearl Jam fans are more faithful to the band. None of my friends are a fan, they probably know 2 to 3 songs, that doesn`t matter to me, I know how great they are, how deep the lyrics are, the songs, the members of the band etc.. Not everyone can be a Pearl Jam fan, they ain`t an easy, mainstream band like the Chili Peppers which everyone knows 10 to 15 songs (btw, Chili Peppers are great). If you wanna be a PJ fan, you have to research, buy the albums, listen to all songs, you have to find them, not the other way around. It sincerely doesnt bother me that they are not that known, i prefer how it is. When i found the 10c i felt that i found a home, with brothers and sisters that share the same opinion as i do. Most people dont understand how big this band are, and to tell you guys the truth, this is their problem.
    beautiful..
    Yep it is isn't it
    A young mate I think is now 13 he approached me a. Few years ago. He loved playing even flow on guitar hero or something. His mum said that I was into them so he called me.
    I gave him a few boots
    He used to get my Xmas singles
    He now is a ten club memeber downloads boots etc.
    He said a while ago that being a fan was like being in a secret club. Nobody knows in his age group. He thinks he is fucking cool as.
    I'm glad to pass on something that is honest and powerful. A love of good solid rock n roll. Not the pap that mainstream is.
    His mum will allow me to take him to a show soon. I can't wait
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    I just love the fact that the band continues to expand their style. Each album is different than before. Sometimes it take quite a few listens to fall into the groove of each one.
    I like that they want to do that. That they feel brave enough to do that.

I used to go to vans tours a long time ago. Was right into the whole skate punk music. Loved early blink 182 stuff then they hit it big . Unfortunately they went the other way releasing the same song with different words again and again and again
    Fucken boring.
    Don't blame them for making a quid but they lost me.
    Pearl jam has been the opposite. They try to grow, they honor the old legends in an honest way
    Thanks pj it's been a great musical journey, don't stop the train just yet though
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,596
    It is a little lame..I mean in 1992-1993 when they where HUGE..I still knew of bands 20 years earlier like Led Zeppelin, The Who, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles..etc.. It's like 20 years before 2011 only means Nevermind in alot of circles. People should be familiar with the heavyweights of the 90's Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, REM, U2, Oasis, RHCP, Foo Fighters..just to name a few...even if boy bands did dominate for the later part...
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    First mistake is thinking they are still as popular as RHCP or Foo Fighters. Those bands play the same size places as PJ, but in about 2-3x as many locations. PJ has trouble selling out any place that isn't NY, Boston, Chicago or LA. Even at Chicago 09 you could walk up and get tix the day of the show.

People have been posting stuff like this since I became a member and I really think their recent modus operandi as far as touring goes has put an even bigger dent in the fanbase.

I personally would love if they just played smaller venues and more shows anyway. I saw the White Stripes once in 2005 at a 2,500 capacity venue. Was unbelievable how intimate the show was. More VIC theatre shows please!
  • Options
    People's musical attention span is shit now a days. It's been a very long time since PJ has been "relevant" so they have been long forgotten. Even the rock radio stations only play the old hits so your rock radio fans would have no idea they are still putting out new material.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options
    HaijayHaijay Posts: 328
    bicyclejoe wrote:
    "Always find it strange that a lot of the general public aren't aware of how big the band are."

They're great, but hardly "big" to anyone but our clan anymore.

Fact: PJ hasn't been relevant for years.
    fuck, i love assisnine comments ike this. ok, here it is, some of you might not be able to take this, some will run screaming from their houses, but, 90 percent of PEARL JAM fans ARE NOT IN TJE FUCKING FAN CLUB! seriously, there are so many bloody people
    on here that think outside the fan club, there are NO FANS! R U FUCKING KIDDING ME?
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    Hamaury wrote:

I dont think they want to be known by everyone. The number of fans of Pearl Jam are smaller than the Foo Fighters or the Chilli Peppers, but i am 100% sure, that we, Pearl Jam fans are more faithful to the band. None of my friends are a fan, they probably know 2 to 3 songs, that doesn`t matter to me, I know how great they are, how deep the lyrics are, the songs, the members of the band etc.. Not everyone can be a Pearl Jam fan, they ain`t an easy, mainstream band like the Chili Peppers which everyone knows 10 to 15 songs (btw, Chili Peppers are great). If you wanna be a PJ fan, you have to research, buy the albums, listen to all songs, you have to find them, not the other way around. It sincerely doesnt bother me that they are not that known, i prefer how it is. When i found the 10c i felt that i found a home, with brothers and sisters that share the same opinion as i do. Most people dont understand how big this band are, and to tell you guys the truth, this is their problem.

This.....is fuckin' awesome. It's take *work* to be a follower and they come out and grab you. Thanks to all for sharing the same "fraterinty" with me. This band fuckin' rocks.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    This band fuckin' rocks.......Period.

Glad to be here.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    Yeah, outside of about two friends that I rarely see, nobody I know are fans. It pretty much feels like being on a deserted island and when I go to a show and see all of you, its like coming home :D
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    First mistake is thinking they are still as popular as RHCP or Foo Fighters. Those bands play the same size places as PJ, but in about 2-3x as many locations. PJ has trouble selling out any place that isn't NY, Boston, Chicago or LA. Even at Chicago 09 you could walk up and get tix the day of the show.

People have been posting stuff like this since I became a member and I really think their recent modus operandi as far as touring goes has put an even bigger dent in the fanbase.

I personally would love if they just played smaller venues and more shows anyway. I saw the White Stripes once in 2005 at a 2,500 capacity venue. Was unbelievable how intimate the show was. More VIC theatre shows please!

I really like this idea. I think that instead of playing huge arenas all the time, maybe they could do a "ten club tour" on one of their off years. For example, play the Showbox in Seattle, Vic theater, etc. Or maybe they follow in the Foo's footsteps and play a set of secret club shows in random locations right before the new album comes out.
    Member Number: 437xxx

Pearl Jam:
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Sep 21, 2009
    Pacific Coliseum - Vancouver, BC - Sep 25, 2011
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Dec 6, 2013

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    Benaroya Hall - Seattle, WA - Jul 15, 2011
  • Options
    its strange indeed, I mean they sold out Globen in mins..

many friends dont know the band, made many of them listen to pj tho but thats another story ;)
    ~ Enjoy The Struggle
  • Options
    HamauryHamaury Posts: 189
    Yeah, outside of about two friends that I rarely see, nobody I know are fans. It pretty much feels like being on a deserted island and when I go to a show and see all of you, its like coming home :D

Exacly brother. My friends ain't fans, i was beggining to think im too crazy for this band. But seeing you guys made me feal like home.
    Thank You
    04/12/05 - Rio de Janeiro
    06/11/11 - Rio de Janeiro

"Come Back"
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,847
    Yep, happens all the time to me. "You're seeing who?" "They're playing where?"

Hehe.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    Hamaury wrote:

^^ This.

I'm married to a PJ purist (yay for me!) but all in all it's lonely being a PJ fan(atic) in Belgium. Do I mind? Not in the least. I quite like the idea of being in a "cult".

I think this article in Spin (2008) is still relevant. Now, seventeen years after Ten, the last of the great grunge bands is essentially a latter-day Grateful Dead, revered by a large group of diehards and, at best, peripheral to everyone else. It's been a unique trajectory, one made even more so by the debatability of its direction.

It's the band's choice. And for all of those willing to put in the dedication and hard work, the payback is phenomenal. And I love them for it. Love them to bits...
  • Options
    rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    I like it fine the way things are. Thankfully, my wife is very supportive of my love for the band and has even started to sing along to a few of the songs. Another thing is that I have discovered some great music through PJ and the forum that I would not have known otherwise: Band of horses, Black keys, Gomez...
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • Options
    TineTine Posts: 13
    I am and have always been the only one among my friends who likes Pearl Jam. Even back in '92 most people I knew couldn't really relate to my obsession.
    Some of my friends and I went to Roskilde in 2000 and I thought they could finally see why I liked them so much. Well... (actually they wouldn't have known anyway cos they didn't even come to watch PJ that night but stayed at the campsite. Wise decision in retrospect.)

In 2007 the same bunch and I went to a festival in Germany. Pearl Jam was the last act to play, Sunday night at 10 or 11, and I had a hard time convincing my friends to stay. We were there with three cars and two of the drivers were basically already on the road and probably wouldn't even have stayed for money.In the end one of them gave in to my begging but he only stayed because he knew how much I liked them and because I had had a tough year so he wanted me to be happy (and I was veeery close to tears when he announced that he was thinking of leaving before Pearl Jam too because of the 5-6 hour drive home and work in the morning). After the show he was like "Wow, I didn't expect that! They were really good. I'm glad I stayed and saw this.". He didn't really become a fan but at least he recognises some of the songs now when I play them and he doesn't give me that "Pearl Jam? Who?" look anymore.

I'm taking an old friend of mine to the Berlin show next year. I've known her as long as I have been a Pearl Jam Fan but she only became interested in Pearl Jam after she saw Into the Wild. She kept going on about the beautiful music, bought the soundtrack and then slowly went from Eddie solo to Pearl Jam and is beginning to regret that she didn't believe me 20 years ago when I tried to make her like Pearl Jam...

So I guess there could be a whole lot of more Pearl Jam Fans out there if the band wanted to. But they don't and that's fine. As someone pointed out earlier: it's hard enough to get tickets as it is.
    I kind of like it that we are such an exclusive bunch but sometimes I wish more people I know would share my love for Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    RD171825RD171825 Posts: 440
    It boggles my mind that so many people on here seem to care so much about what other people think about this band. I personally don't care either way how much the public knows about the band or other peoples perception about how big they are. Fact is... they aren't that big anymore outside of our crazy circle of fandom.

I can't help but laugh when I see threads that pop up about so and so friends don't like the band etc... why does it matter so much what other people think?
  • Options
    HaijayHaijay Posts: 328
    RD171825 wrote:
    It boggles my mind that so many people on here seem to care so much about what other people think about this band. I personally don't care either way how much the public knows about the band or other peoples perception about how big they are. Fact is... they aren't that big anymore outside of our crazy circle of fandom.

I can't help but laugh when I see threads that pop up about so and so friends don't like the band etc... why does it matter so much what other people think?
    comical. i would think that filling out arenas and GASP! stadiums worldwide would suggest that they are quite a HUGE band in the grand scheme of things. just dont get why you people cant understand that just because you dont know anybody who cares, there are more than the hardcores our there. i dont know ANYBODY that likes nickleshit, in fact whenever they are brought up at all, everyone agrees WORST band ever. yet, hmmmmmmm, are they big?
  • Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    red hot chilli peppers and foo fighters have never changed their sound of the years. the fans that the rhcp had in the 80s are probably still kicking around because the band makes radio friendly music; not that there's anything wrong with that. same with the foo fighters. dave grohl stated that he wanted to be in a band that made straight pop rock music. it's easier to stay relevant when you're constantly on the radio. also, rhcp and foo fighters never alienated their fans by starting a war with ticketmaster lol
    as for pearl jam, there sound has changed a lot over the years. i was too young to comprehend this at the time, so i can only imagine what it was like for fans listening to vitalgoy for the first time. "a kettle?? what the fuck?".

either way, pearl jam has a decent sized fan base. i'd probably guess a few million world wide. but it is somewhat crazy to think that a band who gets certified gold today was the same band who sold over 10 million albums 20 years ago lol
  • Options
    Lady Gaga, Britney, Michael Jackson, Bieber, Katy Perry, James Blunt, Madonna... all well known to the general public. No ignorance to these people at all.

Need I say more? Public ignorance is, more often than not, something that should be worn as a badge of honour.
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    eladdereladder Posts: 414
    i wouldn't take it personally

to me it's a great thing, i like the mystique
    :thumbup: :thumbup:
    He was ok but wondering about wandering
  • Options
    bicyclejoe wrote:
    "Always find it strange that a lot of the general public aren't aware of how big the band are."

Why are you on here? They basically sell out every show, just had a movie made about them by one of hollwoods biggest directors, and every other "revelant" artist reveres them. And they dont even try to be relevant. Yet, they are. Grab a clue. Youre just bitter the cubs will never win a ws.
  • Options
    You know what shows public ignorance? Binaural. Its a wonderful piece of art appreciated by mostly the wonderful people on this site. Im so happy to be in the know.
  • Options
    dasvidanadasvidana Grand Junction CO Posts: 1,318
    eladder wrote:
    You know what shows public ignorance? Binaural. Its a wonderful piece of art appreciated by mostly the wonderful people on this site. Im so happy to be in the know.
    yes it is a wonderful piece of art.... so beautiful
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    eladder wrote:
    bicyclejoe wrote:

Why are you on here? They basically sell out every show, just had a movie made about them by one of hollwoods biggest directors, and every other "revelant" artist reveres them. And they dont even try to be relevant. Yet, they are. Grab a clue. Youre just bitter the cubs will never win a ws.

as a non-cubs fan, i can say that he's right. pearl jam is hardly relevant, anymore. the reason they are able to sell out almost every show is because the number of repeat offenders is through the roof with this fan base. talking to some people about how many shows they've seen is hard to do without laughing. when your number of shows seen is 30+ you seriously need help. as for cameron crowe, yes he is great, but he isn't one of hollywoods biggest directors anymore. his last hurrah was almost famous (over a decade ago).
    you told him to "grab a clue", but sadly you might be a little less clueless than him.

i love pearl jam. they're one of my favourite bands; but trying to delude yourself into thinking they're as popular as you think they are is wrong. oh, and don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that being popular is everything.
  • Options
    dasvidanadasvidana Grand Junction CO Posts: 1,318

as a non-cubs fan, i can say that he's right. pearl jam is hardly relevant, anymore. the reason they are able to sell out almost every show is because the number of repeat offenders is through the roof with this fan base. talking to some people about how many shows they've seen is hard to do without laughing. when your number of shows seen is 30+ you seriously need help. as for cameron crowe, yes he is great, but he isn't one of hollywoods biggest directors anymore. his last hurrah was almost famous (over a decade ago).
    you told him to "grab a clue", but sadly you might be a little less clueless than him.

i love pearl jam. they're one of my favourite bands; but trying to delude yourself into thinking they're as popular as you think they are is wrong. oh, and don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that being popular is everything.
    I can't imagine why anyone would say that PJ are not relevant. Sean Penn and Tim Robbins are among Hollywood's biggest directors and they seek out Ed's collaboration for their movies. I believe Mike has also contributed musical scores in the past few years. I think that PJ is not relevant to pop music, but to say they aren't relevant to music in general is just not true.
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • Options
    -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    talking to some people about how many shows they've seen is hard to do without laughing. when your number of shows seen is 30+ you seriously need help.

Good on them, I wish I had been to 30 shows...when I saw Eddie's solo show in March, before it started I met some fans next to us who had travelled around Australia to see his shows. I thought they were dedicated, given what it would cost, but after seeing Eddie perform solo, I could completely understand why they would want to see multiple shows. Seeing Eddie's show was hands down my favourite night of 2011!

If somebody wants to spent their well-earned money on seeing as many PJ/EV shows as they can, I don't see that as laughable. I'm sure most people have some kind of thing that they like to blow their money on or collect for no particular reason (and there are plenty of reasons to love PJ). Going to multiple PJ/EV concerts is a completely harmless thing to do!
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Hamaury wrote:

Bravo! I totally agree with you with everything you said.
    Athens,GR-30/9/06
    London,GB-25/6/10
    Berlin,DE-30/6/10
    Werchter,BE-4/7/10
    East Troy,US-3/9/11
    East Troy,US-4/9/11
    Toronto,CA-11/9/11
    Toronto,CA-12/9/11
    Prague,CZ-2/7/12
    Berlin,DE-4/7/12
    Stockholm,SE-7/7/12
    Oslo,NO-9/7/12
    Copenhagen,DK-10/7/12
  • Options
    frazbafrazba Posts: 601
    Hamaury wrote:

:clap: Don't like the Chili Peppers tho'