Public ignorance to pj

Comments

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,838
    primus sucks
  • Options
    unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    rafie wrote:
    Well, sssssshhhhhhh _ don't tell anyone about them! Like Guacamole Joe said, more tickets for us.

I have a work colleague who knows me outside of work, and mentioned something about me being in "the Pearl Jam cult."

Next thing, my director makes a similar remark. I said, "I don't find that funny at all. Please stop saying it." Totally serious, direct, unwavering eye contact.

She hastily apologized.

Of course, now they truly believe I'm in a cult, and also that I'm possibly just a little psychotic.
    Just a little? they obviously do not read your posts here :mrgreen:

:twisted:
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    There's a major difference between good music and popular music.

Pearl Jam rocketed to popularity with their good music. And then there was a natural attrition. People just fell off, influenced more by what was popular. These are the same people who listened to Korn one year and Backstreet Boys the next.

I'm OK with PJ being called "cult". The best bands usually are! We're the ones who stuck around because we knew a good thing when we saw it - we connected on a different level than popular music seekers.

Big scheme of things: Who cares? Our band is still rocking tha fock out after 20 years! Not too many folks can say that about their favorite bands!

Here's to 20 more!
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    When I took guitar lessons around a decade ago, my instructor asked me who my favorite band was and I told him Pearl Jam. He replied, "Isn't he dead?"
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    When I took guitar lessons around a decade ago, my instructor asked me who my favorite band was and I told him Pearl Jam. He replied, "Isn't he dead?"

:o

On the flip side, in my college music appreciation class (2002 I think), I did a presentation on Pearl Jam and their music. After the presentation, my music appreciation teacher (probably at least late 50s) commented that he was a big Pearl Jam fan and has always enjoyed their music.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,016
    I have been to Australia in 2006 and 2009 to see them and have just come back from the amazing night in Buenes Aires. 5 shows in all under my belt. I have tickets for both Manchester shows and got stuck booking for Amsterdam through the general sale as they would not accept my credit card payment but managed to get 1 ticket for night 1 from a true fan. Still searching for a ticket for Amsterdam night 2.

I will be travelling from South Africa to see my favourite band of the last 17 years. Nobody here get it-none of my friends and family, except for two cousins in Brisbane.

I dont care. I will go anywhere in the world, do whatever it takes to see them live. There is nothing like a PJ show! 8-)
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    frazbafrazba Posts: 601
    TJ25487 wrote:
    Quite simply, most people are not into music in general. They basically just listen to the radio/TV and thats how they keep up with current stuff. Or, like us PJ fans, they find something they like and go off in that direction, buying and listening to an artist or artists in a certain genre such as rap, heavy metal etc. I myself don't buy much music outside of PJ so unless I hear something on the radio I couldn't tell you about most other artists.

I'm interested in and will listen to 90% of stuff out there, I may not like it, but I'll give it a chance (within reason, of course!) I think the general public just can't be arsed seeking out good music, they assume that the radio provides them with all that's available. It is, after all, hard work, as well as expensive, keeping up with good new music, it has to be sought out, it won't land in your lap.
    Most people have the potential to be big music fans, I er.....copy albums for a few people at work quite regularly (mostly stuff that's been on the radio, I admit) and they quite often come back for more of the same, at which point I give them a list of the bands albums and tell them to go and buy them if they're that interested. The difference between (to quote Pink Floyd) Us and Them is PASSION, I may not be speaking for all of you, but I know that, after my kids, music is what I live for, I couldn't survive without it! Oh..and while we're on the subject, music should be listened to, it is NOT to be played quietly as a backgound to conversation. Turn it Up, immerse yourselves in it.
    Rant #2 over for the evening, I'll get my coat!!!
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    frazba wrote:
    TJ25487 wrote:
    Quite simply, most people are not into music in general. They basically just listen to the radio/TV and thats how they keep up with current stuff. Or, like us PJ fans, they find something they like and go off in that direction, buying and listening to an artist or artists in a certain genre such as rap, heavy metal etc. I myself don't buy much music outside of PJ so unless I hear something on the radio I couldn't tell you about most other artists.

I'm interested in and will listen to 90% of stuff out there, I may not like it, but I'll give it a chance (within reason, of course!) I think the general public just can't be arsed seeking out good music, they assume that the radio provides them with all that's available. It is, after all, hard work, as well as expensive, keeping up with good new music, it has to be sought out, it won't land in your lap.
    Most people have the potential to be big music fans, I er.....copy albums for a few people at work quite regularly (mostly stuff that's been on the radio, I admit) and they quite often come back for more of the same, at which point I give them a list of the bands albums and tell them to go and buy them if they're that interested. The difference between (to quote Pink Floyd) Us and Them is PASSION, I may not be speaking for all of you, but I know that, after my kids, music is what I live for, I couldn't survive without it! Oh..and while we're on the subject, music should be listened to, it is NOT to be played quietly as a backgound to conversation. Turn it Up, immerse yourselves in it.
    Rant #2 over for the evening, I'll get my coat!!!

+1. Couldn't be put any better. Either crank it up or put in the headphones and jam.

My favorite times to listen to PJ are either coming home after work and the gym, and depending on my mood, pick with album/boot and toss it in the stereo and crank it up the speakers or put in the headphones and have some "me" time - especially with a brew in hand. Now all I gotta do is get that damn record player.........in the works soon. :)
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    Tboz51Tboz51 Posts: 2,808
    i wouldn't take it personally

to me it's a great thing, i like the mystique

This...

I love that no one knows. 250 years from now more people will know then maybe all now.
    "Honesty will always be construed as negative to a dumbass"
    :-)
  • Options
    SpencerSpencer Posts: 867
    I Know what you mean - me and my muso mates went through Uni during the indie/grunge era in late 8os ,early 90s. Whenever I tell them im going to see PJ -their respose is nearly always that they didnt know they were still around. they think im crazy jetting off to see them round the world! However my 12 yr old son has got the live bug after seeing them twice and cant wait for Mancester in 2012 :D
    Off topic, but nice username.

I love Swervedriver, great band.
  • Options
    OK, I'm off again, re public ignorance to PJ. The general public being ignorant of current PJ does not worry me in the slightest, public opinion/acceptance does not a good band make! Most bands/artists I listen to have absolutely no public persona, in fact I've met most of them (PJ excluded) at their own gigs, they mix with the fans before and after the show. Being popular is not a good indication of how good a band is, in fact it's quite often (in my opinion) the exact opposite. For example, one of my favourite bands is Richmond Fontaine (if you haven't heard them, go check them out) I've seen them 3 times and each time have met Willy Vlautin, the singer/songwriter, after the gig, he's chatted to me for ages, signed books, CD's the lot. One of the nicest men I've ever met, as well as being one of the most talented.
    Whilst they're not quite at PJ level yet (popularity wise), they really didn't need to come out and chat after the gig, but they did, and I'm sure won themselves some new fans because of this, now I'm sure Ed and the boys couldn't do this but I do feel like one of the band being in this club, one of the'chosen few' if you like (albeit paying $50 to be one!)
    This has to be one of the main reasons why PJ appeal to me so much, there's very little distance between band and fans, as it should be.
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,161
    "Always find it strange that a lot of the general public aren't aware of how big the band are."

They're great, but hardly "big" to anyone but our clan anymore.

Fact: PJ hasn't been relevant for years.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    I agree, they're not relevant to anyone outside our 'clan' but they sure as hell are still relevant to me, and, being selfish, that's all that matters!
  • Options
    oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    My cousin, who knows I'm a big fan, was telling me that after hearing "Just Breathe," she thinks EV may be one of the greatest song writers of our generation.

She actually met him at Lollapalooza in 1992. He was just walking around the grounds, doing his thing. She said he was amazingly laid back and approachable.

Anywho, a month ago, we were talking about PJ. I told her about the Destination Weekend shows, etc.

She was under the impression this was a reunion!

I said, nope, they've been kicking ass and taking names this whole time 8-)
  • Options
    I have to say, I quite like that they dropped under the radar, it was left to the hardcore (i.e us) to keep them going and getting better and better, most people think they folded after Vitalogy. I'm in the process off putting together a CD for a bloke who thought Vs was their last album. I need suggestions please by the way.
  • Options
    frazba wrote:
    I have to say, I quite like that they dropped under the radar, it was left to the hardcore (i.e us) to keep them going and getting better and better, most people think they folded after Vitalogy. I'm in the process off putting together a CD for a bloke who thought Vs was their last album. I need suggestions please by the way.

Red Mosquito or Smile needs to be on that CD. 8-)
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    Already there, it's turning into an mp3 dvd at this point. My only problem is, I don't want to drown them with stuff, that'll put them off as well
  • Options
    I'd like to keep it accessible and short
  • Options
    YLed2 wrote:
    frazba wrote:

Red Mosquito or Smile needs to be on that CD. 8-)

Also, Release or Y Ledbetter should be staples on there IMHO.

Going back to what someone said earlier about the mystique...I couldn't agree more. The "general public" do not really know that this band is only beginning and 250 years from now, they will finally get the picture. Fuckin' rock on PJ.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    I'll get there, I have to put Yellow L'better on, and The Fixer, corduroy etc but I couldn't agree more, in 50 years, this band will be hailed as one of the all time greats, No Way is going on there as well
  • Options
    This is definitely going to be an mp3 dvd!!
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    First mistake is thinking they are still as popular as RHCP or Foo Fighters. Those bands play the same size places as PJ, but in about 2-3x as many locations. PJ has trouble selling out any place that isn't NY, Boston, Chicago or LA. Even at Chicago 09 you could walk up and get tix the day of the show.

People have been posting stuff like this since I became a member and I really think their recent modus operandi as far as touring goes has put an even bigger dent in the fanbase.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,500
    in 2009, we were in SEATTLE for the shows.....more specifically, Fremont, drinking at Hale's Ales...our waiter can tell we're a group of out-of-towners and asks what brings us to seattle....uh, Pearl Jam...he asks if we've heard of green river...uh, yeah...."oh, stone used to rent my basement".....and "so pearl jam is still around?" :shock: :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Even in Seattle, you can tell that Nirvana is much more well regarded that Pearl Jam. It's kind of odd how a band that comes to a sudden cease because the front man was a druggie is considered legendary but a band that keeps on going is all but forgotten.

Granted, Pearl Jam does get regular air time on both alternative and rock stations here, but even here, its mostly just the popular stuff between Ten to Vitalogy.
    Member Number: 437xxx

Pearl Jam:
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Sep 21, 2009
    Pacific Coliseum - Vancouver, BC - Sep 25, 2011
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Dec 6, 2013

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    Benaroya Hall - Seattle, WA - Jul 15, 2011
  • Options
    This is the beauty of art, and in this case the music of Pearl Jam.

How many great bands are we all missing out on because of our love of Pearl Jam? There are plenty of bands who my friends like who I have never heard of and when I see or hear them I am respectfully impressed, but they are not for me, I prefer Pearl Jam - and this is fine. There are so many bands who have their own 'cult' following and are largely ignored outside of this following. Personally, i think this enhances the experience for all concerned.

I'd hate to be a hardcore U2 or AC/DC or similar fan, to go to a show and see it filled with people who have no understanding of the band or their music but are there because it is fashionable to be seen at that show. Those are the same people who are happy to pay big bucks for the corporate VIP seats so they can see the hits they hear on the radio or so they can be seen by the other corporate types who are there for networking purposes.

AC/DC is a good example. They are a bogan rock band who sing about their dicks - pure and simple - and ther is nothing wrong with that - they have never pretended to be something they are not. Their record buying fan base are generally hard living, hard rocking, hard drinking, hard smoking working class people who live in black t-shirts, jeans and flannel. So what the fuck a whole lot of wealthy corporate wankers were doing at their show in the best seats in the house is beyond me. They are the same kind of people who thought it was so cool when Celine Dion covered "You Shook Me All Night Long".

I'd be fairly safe to say Pearl Jam are more than happy with their status and the audience they command. Remember, it broke Kurt Cobain's heart to see the number of 'rednecks' in the crowds that were coming to their shows.

He’s the one
    Who likes all our pretty songs
    And he likes to sing along
    And he likes to shoot his gun
    But he knows not what it means
    Knows not what it means

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays/Happy Hanukkah/Happy Festivus/ or whatever else it is you will celebrate this year. All the best for 2012!
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    First mistake is thinking they are still as popular as RHCP or Foo Fighters. Those bands play the same size places as PJ, but in about 2-3x as many locations. PJ has trouble selling out any place that isn't NY, Boston, Chicago or LA. Even at Chicago 09 you could walk up and get tix the day of the show.

People have been posting stuff like this since I became a member and I really think their recent modus operandi as far as touring goes has put an even bigger dent in the fanbase.

Any time they want to do a tour's worth of shows in NY, we'll be there every night...
  • Options
    The sheep only eat the grass that's given to them.
    This was always pearl jams plan. They don't want sheep

Through this band I have heard some great bands that are not mainstream.
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Hamaury wrote:
    Here is my opinion on this matter.

I dont think they want to be known by everyone. The number of fans of Pearl Jam are smaller than the Foo Fighters or the Chilli Peppers, but i am 100% sure, that we, Pearl Jam fans are more faithful to the band. None of my friends are a fan, they probably know 2 to 3 songs, that doesn`t matter to me, I know how great they are, how deep the lyrics are, the songs, the members of the band etc.. Not everyone can be a Pearl Jam fan, they ain`t an easy, mainstream band like the Chili Peppers which everyone knows 10 to 15 songs (btw, Chili Peppers are great). If you wanna be a PJ fan, you have to research, buy the albums, listen to all songs, you have to find them, not the other way around. It sincerely doesnt bother me that they are not that known, i prefer how it is. When i found the 10c i felt that i found a home, with brothers and sisters that share the same opinion as i do. Most people dont understand how big this band are, and to tell you guys the truth, this is their problem.
    beautiful..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    btw,you should live in Greece..when i talk about the band...i need to say pearl jam 3-4 to understand the name .and look at me like im the crazy guy of the town..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Tboz51Tboz51 Posts: 2,808
    btw,you should live in Greece..when i talk about the band...i need to say pearl jam 3-4 to understand the name .and look at me like im the crazy guy of the town..

There is a American saying that if you look around the table, but can't find the crazy person. Then well... You are the crazy person.

;-)

:crazy:
    "Honesty will always be construed as negative to a dumbass"
    :-)