the hobbit the movie Dec 2012

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    did his son carry on writing after his fathers death?...i think most of the volume history books after a few are his sons...but i might be wrong

He compiled them and made some adjustments to make all the stories jive up the best he could, far as the Silmarillion goes.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    very nice.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    As far as movie adaptation of books go, The Lord of the Rings is one of the best ever, in my opinion. Especially the extended versions which are a must-see (just make sure your butt is comfy).

Minus Tom Bombadil (which probably would have required a fourth movie to fit in) the changes to make a theatrical version seem warranted. Considering the entire movie is over 11 hours long, they crammed a good deal of content into it.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,204
    IrishGuy wrote:
    Lets hope he does a better job this time than he did with the Lord of the Rings.

:?:

Yeah really :roll:
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    This is going to be amazing.Last read the book probably 20 years ago,but had read it a number of times,it is going to be a kindle buy before December 13.

I think it is amazing how Peter Jackson has been able to bring books alive,books that I never thought I would see on film.

:D
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • also picked up the history of the hobbit, a two volume set: mr baggins and the return to bag end. havnt read these yet, but i will make sure to do so before the movie comes out next year. apparently its got all of the alternate versions like the history of middle earth vols 6 - 8. ***also includes the original chapter where bilbo meets gollum. Tolkien changed this later on to make the lotrs flow more consistently.

in the original didnt gollum give him the ring for winning the riddle contest? i once read something like that. changes the whole context of the story, especially the lotr
  • also picked up the history of the hobbit, a two volume set: mr baggins and the return to bag end. havnt read these yet, but i will make sure to do so before the movie comes out next year. apparently its got all of the alternate versions like the history of middle earth vols 6 - 8. ***also includes the original chapter where bilbo meets gollum. Tolkien changed this later on to make the lotrs flow more consistently.

in the original didnt gollum give him the ring for winning the riddle contest? i once read something like that. changes the whole context of the story, especially the lotr

not sure, as ive never read the original printed version. im looking forward to it though.
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • ..dwelves looked a little comical...but fuck

dont forget, they completely blundered into the first chapter, an unexpected party.

they were merry, they sang songs, and they were goofy as hell. But when push comes to shove they fuckin dominate in battle! i have 100% faith in peter jackson behind this. he's gonna do it right
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    DewieCox wrote:
    did his son carry on writing after his fathers death?...i think most of the volume history books after a few are his sons...but i might be wrong

He compiled them and made some adjustments to make all the stories jive up the best he could, far as the Silmarillion goes.
    Guy Gavriel Kay who has written some fantastic fantasy fiction himself helped with some of it. I know he helped the writing with the SIlmarillion I'm not sure if he had input on the others though.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I think Guillermo del Toro is a good director, but I'm glad he dropped from the project. Peter Jackson was destined to direct this. It wouldn't be the same without him.
    So we are like 6 months away do we have an actual release date yet? I need to go ahead and put in for that friday off cause i'm seeing the midnight showing that thursday :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    The 14th it has been set for awhile now, since the trailer was released i think. part 2 is set for dec 13th of next year.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I can't wait! :D
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    Only 6 months to go...

:corn:
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Sea wrote:

:shock: YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    :?
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    intodeep wrote:
    :?

Have Faith, the more the better, i can just picture a future weekend with 6 Extended Movies Marathon!!!
    (which should be complimented by 3-20 bags of weed and a case of beer)
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    yikes ... not sure if i'm a fan of this extension ... seems like strictly a cash grab and wb's maintaining a franchise title until something else comes along ...
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,785
    Sea wrote:

yeah heard about this, interesting considering the book is what like 200 pages :lol:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    saw this early today too. does this mean no extended cut bluray release? i really dont like the idea of 3 movies, 2 seemed perfect. 3 feels like it might drag on too much or too much was created that wasnt in the books...
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    They are going to have to make a lot of stuff up to turn this into three movies. I was seeing it as a stretch to even split it into two movies. The Hobbit is a very short read in comparison to Lord of the Rings.

If Peter Jackson wasn't involved, I would be highly suspicious of this move.

I figure each movie will probably make around $2B in tickets, dvds, extended cut blu rays, etc.
  • SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    Went from super excited to super skeptical in the wake of this pure cash grab. Boo...
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Meh I'm a total Peter Jackson geek...I love it. Yeah it might be a cash grab, but I'll give it to them. :lol:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Hopefully they'll at least release them quickly though and not years apart. We wouldnt want to keep BinauralJam waiting too long with his stogies and beer. 8-)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Hopefully they'll at least release them quickly though and not years apart. We wouldnt want to keep BinauralJam waiting too long with his stogies and beer. 8-)

Well this was the same plan i had for the 6 Star Wars movies :( , this should turn out better than that did 8-) .
    "We know how much of the story of Bilbo Baggins, the Wizard Gandalf, the Dwarves of Erebor, the rise of the Necromancer, and the Battle of Dol Guldur will remain untold if we do not take this chance," Jackson wrote

Well at least he is going into some of the other history and stories. We'll see.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    intodeep wrote:
    "We know how much of the story of Bilbo Baggins, the Wizard Gandalf, the Dwarves of Erebor, the rise of the Necromancer, and the Battle of Dol Guldur will remain untold if we do not take this chance," Jackson wrote

Well at least he is going into some of the other history and stories. We'll see.

Interesting, but I wonder if all that extra stuff will be back stories? And might water down the main Hobbit story.

I doubt that The Simarillion or Children of Hurin would work as movies. Althought there are some interesting stories in them.....
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217

Well this was the same plan i had for the 6 Star Wars movies :( , this should turn out better than that did 8-) .

Yikes, and with a Star wars marathon, you don't even have enough time to get a good buzz before Jar-jar is making you wish you had some mushrooms. :shifty:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684

Yikes, and with a Star wars marathon, you don't even have enough time to get a good buzz before Jar-jar is making you wish you had some mushrooms. :shifty:

3osqb1.jpg
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City