Euro: Amsterdam 2012: couches-hotels-pre party-other info

Comments

• Options
    radarradar Posts: 770
    pm sent.
    please add me to the waiting list:)
    I may offer nice couchsurfing in Cracow/PL
  • Options
    So we have a second night now for Pearl Jam in Amsterdam. I guess I pm appie about what to do...
    Usually known as...........
    Arnhem 2006 - Nijmegen 2007 - Rotterdam 2009 - Nijmegen 2010 - Amsterdam I 2012
  • Options
    rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    rafie wrote:
    I am deffinetly in for a pre party. Also, I would like to spend my stay with fellow 10C members. If someone is opening their doors like Appie, or if a few fans want to book a place together, I am in.
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • Options
    PJArtistPJArtist New Orleans Posts: 542
    Does anyone know if the Hampshire is walking distance to Ziggodome!
    New Orleans 00/Seattle 02/New Orleans, Houston, Dallas 03/
    Kissimmee 04/Montreal 05/Chicago 06/Gorge 06/Leeds 06/London 07/Lollapalooza 07/EV Chicago 08/EV Santa Barbara 08/Bonnaroo 08/EV @ McCartney NY 09/EV Atlanta 09/Spectrum 09 (4 shows)/Jazz Fest '10/Voices for Justice (EV) 10/Columbus 10/Noblesville 10/EV Sydney, Melbourne 11/EV Philadelphia, Detroit 11/Alpine weekend/Toronto 11 (2 shows)/Made in America 2012/Deluna Fest 2012/Missoula 2012/Brooklyn, Philadelphia, Dallas, OKC, Portland, Spokane, Vancouver, Seattle 2013/Global Citizen/Florida 16/MSG 16/Wrigley 16
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    rafie wrote:
    rafie wrote:
    I am deffinetly in for a pre party. Also, I would like to spend my stay with fellow 10C members. If someone is opening their doors like Appie, or if a few fans want to book a place together, I am in.
    count me in too for night 2.....
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    SturgoSturgo Posts: 89
    PJArtist wrote:

Which Hampshire hotel are you staying? I think you'll have to take the metro line 54.

http://www.9292.nl/en/
  • Options
    rafie wrote:
    I wouldn't mind possibly staying with a fellow 10Cer to save a bit of money. All depends on if my buddy makes his lacrosse team or not.

I wont be booking flights for a couple months though.
    If I can't find something until then, PM me when you book your flights. We can split a room.

I will know hopefully in the next week or two if he makes it or not.

I being 20 at the time have the very cheap option of a youth hostel too.
  • Options
    rafie wrote:
    I wouldn't mind possibly staying with a fellow 10Cer to save a bit of money. All depends on if my buddy makes his lacrosse team or not.

I wont be booking flights for a couple months though.
    If I can't find something until then, PM me when you book your flights. We can split a room.

I will know hopefully in the next week or two if he makes it or not.

I being 20 at the time have the very cheap option of a youth hostel too.
    I am 31 and will probably do a hostel too. I just prefer not sleeping in a dorm room of 6 - 8 random people. I would rather split a room with another 2 - 3 10C members.
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

• Options
    thijsthijs Posts: 22
    edited December 2011
    I have seen the links for public transport, but would just like to add that the show will be within walking distance of the train and metro station "Amsterdam - Bijlmer ArenA".

This station is well reachable from Amsterdam, but I would just like to give you guys a tip: consider staying in Utrecht. This city (the 4th largest in the Netherlands) has a direct 15 minute train connection to station "Amsterdam - Bijlmer ArenA", and is likely to be a little less crowded, somewhat cheaper, and probably has a better availability of hotel rooms. (Latest return train as late as 1:15 AM / in the night.)
    Post edited by thijs on
  • Options
    PJArtist wrote:

Too far. I would try to find the optimal tram or metro connection. (Beware of the latest possible returns - taxis are expensive.)
  • Options
    thijs wrote:
    I have seen the links for public transport, but would just like to add that the show will be within walking distance of the train and metro station "Amsterdam - Bijlmer ArenA".

This station is well reachable from Amsterdam, but I would just like to give you guys a tip: consider staying in Utrecht. This city (the 4th largest in the Netherlands) has a direct 15 minute train connection to station "Amsterdam - Bijlmer ArenA", and is likely to be a little less crowded, somewhat cheaper, and probably has a better availability of hotel rooms. (Latest return train as late as 1:15 AM / in the night.)

Done!
  • Options
    PJArtistPJArtist New Orleans Posts: 542
    thijs wrote:
    PJArtist wrote:

Too far. I would try to find the optimal tram or metro connection. (Beware of the latest possible returns - taxis are expensive.)

I e-mailed the hotel and they said they were a 15 min. taxi ride or 1 1/2 walk.

How much are taxis?
    New Orleans 00/Seattle 02/New Orleans, Houston, Dallas 03/
    Kissimmee 04/Montreal 05/Chicago 06/Gorge 06/Leeds 06/London 07/Lollapalooza 07/EV Chicago 08/EV Santa Barbara 08/Bonnaroo 08/EV @ McCartney NY 09/EV Atlanta 09/Spectrum 09 (4 shows)/Jazz Fest '10/Voices for Justice (EV) 10/Columbus 10/Noblesville 10/EV Sydney, Melbourne 11/EV Philadelphia, Detroit 11/Alpine weekend/Toronto 11 (2 shows)/Made in America 2012/Deluna Fest 2012/Missoula 2012/Brooklyn, Philadelphia, Dallas, OKC, Portland, Spokane, Vancouver, Seattle 2013/Global Citizen/Florida 16/MSG 16/Wrigley 16
  • Options
    PJArtist wrote:
    thijs wrote:
    PJArtist wrote:

I e-mailed the hotel and they said they were a 15 min. taxi ride or 1 1/2 walk.

How much are taxis?

Don't know exactly, but several times more expensive than metro or tram from your hotel. The thing is that I do not recommend Amsterdam taxis at all. They have a reputation of being rude, some even violent, and tend to rip you off. Foreign tourists in particular. Plus if you come by taxi, you probably need to leave by taxi as well, which may pose a problem of availability.

Just a little more preparation gets you into public transport far cheaper and reliable. For events like this it is probably the optimal option.
  • Options
    I managed to get tickets for night 2, but I'm from Brazil and I have no idea of what to do after reaching Amsterdam. Is there any couchsurf still available? I'm going with a friend, we'll sleep in the floor if we have to!

Oh, and can someone tell me if there is a hostel near Ziggo Dome? We'd like to spend the rest of the week sightseeing, but we're out of cash! haha
    --Neil Young rules!--
  • Options
    Claudeneye wrote:
    I managed to get tickets for night 2, but I'm from Brazil and I have no idea of what to do after reaching Amsterdam. Is there any couchsurf still available? I'm going with a friend, we'll sleep in the floor if we have to!

Your name is on the list now!
    Claudeneye wrote:
    Oh, and can someone tell me if there is a hostel near Ziggo Dome? We'd like to spend the rest of the week sightseeing, but we're out of cash! haha
    thijs wrote:

• Options
    F5AgainstOneF5AgainstOne New Hampshire, USA Posts: 1,462
    ISO Night 2 tix...
    EV Solo Boston 6/16/11
    East Troy 9/3/11
    East Troy 9/4/11
    Amsterdam 6/26/12
    Amsterdam 6/27/12
    Wrigley Field 7/19-20/13
    Worcester, MA 10/15/13
    Worcester, MA 10/16/13
    Hartford, CT 10/25/13
    Seattle, WA 12/06/13
    Denver, CO 10/22/14
    Fenway 2016 #1
    Fenway 2016 #2
    Fenway 2018 #1
    Fenway 2018 #2
  • Options
    I'm booked for a few nights in a hostel and have seating for Amsterdam night 1.

Would definately be keen if there is a party/sight seeing going on, am backpacking around Europe next Northern summer, so count me in :)

Also anyone with a standing tickets for night 2 for sale will be lavished with gifts!
  • Options
    I know a lot of decent places to stay at, why don't all of us who are couch'less just get together and rent an apartment for like 3-4 days? Then we will be the ones who have the couches.
  • Options
    I know a lot of decent places to stay at, why don't all of us who are couch'less just get together and rent an apartment for like 3-4 days? Then we will be the ones who have the couches.
    I'm in. I have been trying to organize something like this for a few days now.

• Options
    I'm goin to Paris for few days after Amsterdam, before Berlin. Any tips on best/cheapest way to go Amsterdam-Paris?

Also I'm gonna have a few days in London after Manchester, any tips for best/cheapest way for getting to Amsterdam, from London? TIA. :)

Also any couch available if I get to Amsterdam on 25/6?
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
  • Options
    morello wrote:
    I'm goin to Paris for few days after Amsterdam, before Berlin. Any tips on best/cheapest way to go Amsterdam-Paris?

Also I'm gonna have a few days in London after Manchester, any tips for best/cheapest way for getting to Amsterdam, from London? TIA. :)

I would recommend the 'Thalys' high-speed train from Amsterdam (Central) to Paris (Nord). Advance booking can be as cheap as some €35,- one way. Online booking here: http://onlineboeken.nshispeed.nl/microt ... NO&lang=EN

London - Amsterdam is probably cheapest with Ryanair, or EasyJet, but strongly depends on the airport: consider that the transfer to the airport might also be costly, so just the cheapest air ticket may not result is the lowest price for the complete trip.
  • Options
    thijs wrote:
    morello wrote:

I would recommend the 'Thalys' high-speed train from Amsterdam (Central) to Paris (Nord). Advance booking can be as cheap as some €35,- one way. Online booking here: http://onlineboeken.nshispeed.nl/microt ... NO&lang=EN

London - Amsterdam is probably cheapest with Ryanair, or EasyJet, but strongly depends on the airport: consider that the transfer to the airport might also be costly, so just the cheapest air ticket may not result is the lowest price for the complete trip.
    Thnx so much. My friend I'll be staying with in London lives in Richmond I think, south of the river, so I'm hoping for Gatwick L-A. Thnx. :)
    <hr>
  • Options
    morello wrote:

Hey Jenny,
    If you are getting to Amsterdam on the 25th, you can split a room with me and Myra at the bulldog. We are looking for a third person between the 25th to the 28th.

• Options
    SchmaktSchmakt Charlotte Posts: 207
    I went to the last PJ show in Amsterdam and had a great time... This year I was thinking about just staying in Amsterdam for a couple of days and then flying to Paris for 5 days or so. Now, however, I'm thinking it might be cool to just chill in Utrecht for the whole 9 days. What area of town should I be checking out so that I'll be in walking distance of bars and coffee houses? (Can US tourists visit Utrecht coffee houses?)

Also, at the moment I have 2 10C tickets for the 26th if anyone has an extra floor ticket for the 27th that they'd like to trade. I can't commit fully yet as there's a slight chance I won't be going alone, but I should know for sure in the next several weeks...
    2003-04-15: Raleigh, NC
    2003-04-16: Charlotte, NC
    2004-10-06: Asheville, NC
    2006-05-30: Washington, DC
    2006-08-29: Arnhem, The Netherlands
    2006-12-02: Honolulu, Hawaii
    2012-06-26: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    2012-09-22: Atlanta, GA
    2013-10-30: Charlotte, NC
    2014-01-19: Gold Coast, Australia
    2014-06-28: Stockholm, Sweden
    2014-06-29: Oslo, Norway
    2016-04-18: Hampton, VA
    2016-04-20: Raleigh, NC
    2016-04-21: Columbia, SC
    2018-07-01: Prague, Czech Republic
    2018-07-03: Krakow, Poland
    2018-09-04: Boston, MA
    2020-07-15: Budapest, Hungary
    2020-07-17: Zurich, Switzerland
    2023-09-19: Austin, TX
  • Options
    Schmakt wrote:
    I went to the last PJ show in Amsterdam and had a great time... This year I was thinking about just staying in Amsterdam for a couple of days and then flying to Paris for 5 days or so. Now, however, I'm thinking it might be cool to just chill in Utrecht for the whole 9 days. What area of town should I be checking out so that I'll be in walking distance of bars and coffee houses? (Can US tourists visit Utrecht coffee houses?)

Also, at the moment I have 2 10C tickets for the 26th if anyone has an extra floor ticket for the 27th that they'd like to trade. I can't commit fully yet as there's a slight chance I won't be going alone, but I should know for sure in the next several weeks...

Not too certain about the coffee houses, but as far as I know now, they don't treat tourists any else than in Amsterdam. I expect that you will be admitted. I do not have any personnal experience with these.
    The best area in Utrecht to stay are probably the center of town (I would recommend East of the railroad). Utrecht city center is easy to negate on foot, and this is very close to the hub train station 'Utrecht Centraal'). Even though I think it is unlikely that yo would end up in any of the following area's, I would just like to mention them, because there not nice and/or pretty far away from the center of town: Kanaleneiland, Overvecht, Ondiep or Zuilen.

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.
  • Options
    thijs wrote:
    Schmakt wrote:

Not too certain about the coffee houses, but as far as I know now, they don't treat tourists any else than in Amsterdam. I expect that you will be admitted. I do not have any personnal experience with these.
    The best area in Utrecht to stay are probably the center of town (I would recommend East of the railroad). Utrecht city center is easy to negate on foot, and this is very close to the hub train station 'Utrecht Centraal'). Even though I think it is unlikely that yo would end up in any of the following area's, I would just like to mention them, because there not nice and/or pretty far away from the center of town: Kanaleneiland, Overvecht, Ondiep or Zuilen.

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you! :)
  • Options
    Yield72Yield72 Posts: 193
    Someone knows a good place to stay in Amsterdam...???
    I'm myself like you somehow.....
  • Options
    Yield72 wrote:

I stayed at the Rembrandt Residence last time I was there... absolutely loved it. Pretty quaint... quiet, right on the canal, a block from Dam Square, and a pretty good free breakfast. It was a little pricey, but I thought it was well worth the money. (Also a very easy walk from Centraal Station)
  • Options
    Yield72Yield72 Posts: 193
    Schmakt wrote:
    Yield72 wrote:

I stayed at the Rembrandt Residence last time I was there... absolutely loved it. Pretty quaint... quiet, right on the canal, a block from Dam Square, and a pretty good free breakfast. It was a little pricey, but I thought it was well worth the money. (Also a very easy walk from Centraal Station)

Thanks... I will check.
    I'm myself like you somehow.....
  • Options
    fmeek1fmeek1 Posts: 1
    Hey guys. new member, I'm going to the MEN show on the 21st and the Amsterdam show on the 27th. Does anyone have any pre-show party plans?

We're flying into Amsterdam from Glasgow on the Monday and have no ideas about hotels/bars/coffee houses.
    If anyone could pm me any info on where to stay or be before the gig would be greatly appreciated, I'd even buy you a pint or 5 :D

Also, I reckon a mass 10c gathering or party before/after the gig would be a great experience. If anyone has any knowledge of the city (I have none), I think it would be great for them to arrange some sort of gathering point and time so we can all make some new friends.

Personally I'd try to arrange something but it be a disaster :lol: