Options

Holidays after the loss of a loved one

Comments

• Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Thanks again everyone. I still feel off kilter and like I'm on an emotional seesaw. I've accepted that it's just gonna be painful, and not fight anything that I feel. Just feel it and try to march through it all.

One thing that was nice yesterday....I took my dad and sis on a nice drive through the countryside, and we kept seeing tons of pine tree lots with those giant inflatable snowmen and santas. My mom loved seeing those things, how she always wanted to just punch it and poke a hole or something :lol: the fact we saw so many yesterday all waving alongside the road....we all felt like it was her saying hi :) sounds silly I know, but it made us feel good.

The mention of a 'new normal' reminds me of this article a dear friend sent me after my mom had passed. It was a good read, thought I'd share it here too in case it's helpful to others:

http://www.people.com/people/archive/ar ... 78,00.html

I think it is great how your sister, dad and yourself are doing so much stuff together!

I am sure you mom is looking down and shedding tears of joy because of the way the three of you have been supporting eachother!!
    Thanks, we've always been super close. I would always find a fun little day trip for us all to do on Sundays together, and with her being gone, it's nice to keep it going just for my dad's sake too. We have no other family here so we're left to our own devices.

We always think of her when we go out somewhere, so she's still with us in spirit anyway.

Thank you Em, I echo your sentiments. I feel for everyone here who has lost someone dear.

I just want to run away, go in hiding. Really having a hard time focusing at work today :(
  • Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    We always think of her when we go out somewhere, so she's still with us in spirit anyway.

I just want to run away, go in hiding. Really having a hard time focusing at work today :(
    Yes, she is (imo). :) As soon as you can get off work, go hibernate. hugs.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    i lost my grandma on my dads side back in april and thanksgiving was so hard for me like no tomorrow. her cooking was the best ever. anything she made was so good you'd just keep going back for more. also it was very hard to see my grandpa cry after dinner and talk bout her little bit and all.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    EmBleve wrote:

I still have her coat in the trunk of my car. I had put it there when she was in the hospital for the last time, hoping she'd need it when we would bring her home. I haven't the heart to take it out. She always put it there when we'd all go out, so seeing it there makes me feel like she's still out exploring with us when we go on day trips. Was the same one she wore the last time we all went out somewhere, it was to Muir Woods. Last photos we all took together were there and she had it on in all of them.

I would love to hibernate, I do have the last week off of this month since the campus will be shut down. I am looking so forward to it. I'm keeping really busy with my art/shirt shop and everything, once that week comes around I'm offically turned off to being functional. If I could manage to stay inside the whole time I think I would...but friends won't let me do that, I've already been warned lol

Mets I'm so sorry about your grandma, lots of love to you and your family.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    EmBleve wrote:

I still have her coat in the trunk of my car. I had put it there when she was in the hospital for the last time, hoping she'd need it when we would bring her home. I haven't the heart to take it out. She always put it there when we'd all go out, so seeing it there makes me feel like she's still out exploring with us when we go on day trips. Was the same one she wore the last time we all went out somewhere, it was to Muir Woods. Last photos we all took together were there and she had it on in all of them.

I would love to hibernate, I do have the last week off of this month since the campus will be shut down. I am looking so forward to it. I'm keeping really busy with my art/shirt shop and everything, once that week comes around I'm offically turned off to being functional. If I could manage to stay inside the whole time I think I would...but friends won't let me do that, I've already been warned lol

Mets I'm so sorry about your grandma, lots of love to you and your family.
    your story bout the coat made me cry

thanks

lots of to you and your family
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    That's a lovely thing about her coat.
    Hibernation is good at times, mediated with some times out. It's good that you have friends around you who will help and get you out. ;)
  • Options
    I'm sorry Mets, I didn't mean to make you cry :(

Yup that week should be a nice balance of things, I am very blessed to have my dad and sis and friends to help me out. Rest of our family on my mom's side has basically checked the fuck out. So they can suck my ass as far as I'm concerned. Contrary to how I normally am, I'm bitter and yep, don't care lol
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    brother123 wrote:
    times like these I am fortunate not to be in a close family

it must be hard for those that are.

I wasn't all that close with my family, but once my dad became terminally ill, that all changed.

It's a shame that it has to come to that for people to realize what's important.
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Your Mama's coat, I bet smells like her. This will be a comfort some day.

A few of my Mama's clothes are in plastic in my closet. Sounds silly but sometimes
    when I really need her I take them out and hold them.
    They still smell of her perfume.

And when I have been out and about a woman will come near with the same scent,
    I don't cry anymore, I smile, the reminders a welcome moment now.

Its hard to believe that such pain and loss can bring something so good but they do.
    They make us feel and love even more.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

A few of my Mama's clothes are in plastic in my closet. Sounds silly but sometimes

Its hard to believe that such pain and loss can bring something so good but they do.
    I look forward to the moments where I smile. The sadness is still too close.

Hearing the Christmas music in the post office made me want to bolt out the door. My best friends invited us to their house for Christmas, but my dad doesn't feel up to it, and I'm not sure my sis and I are either. Still thinking what we could do, maybe we just drive somewhere remote and cry or something.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS lol
  • Options
    PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    pandora wrote:

I have the sweatshirt that Dad was wearing the day before he died. I never washed it. It is in a plastic bag in my closet, in the early months after he died I'd take it out and bury my face in it.

The first couple of years after a close loss are so hard, but it will get better over time, I promise you that. You will remember all the good times, and definitely laugh more then cry. I remember the pain of losing my dad to be so bad that I'd would have rather had the pulp beat out of me then feel that kind of loss. No one understands how bad it can be unless they have felt it.

I'm sending you my strength and a virtual hug to help you get through the next couple of weeks. Much love B. ox
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    PJaddicted wrote:
    ] I remember the pain of losing my dad to be so bad that I'd would have rather had the pulp beat out of me then feel that kind of loss. No one understands how bad it can be unless they have felt it.
    That is so spot on. The pain I've been experiencing certainly rivals the worst physical pain I've ever felt.

Thanks for the kind words, I find solace in knowing that it will get better in time.
  • Options
    I wish it was January already.
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966

+1.....I'm with ya. Lets just get on with life.
  • Options
    UpSideDown wrote:

+1.....I'm with ya. Lets just get on with life.
    At least then it's a different year. I want this one finished. I'm having a hard time being around people at work the past couple of days. I'd rather be by myself.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    {{{Chiqui}}}
    I wish you peace.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    Lizard wrote:
    {{{Chiqui}}}
    I wish you peace.
    Thank you Liz

I'm also just irritated at my 'family' back east (from my mom's side). Not a peep, not a card, nothing. Who knows, maybe after they get my cards they'll be like oh yeah, THOSE people!

I almost feel like saying to them that just because my mom died, doesn't mean we stopped existing.

It's like if my dad's brothers and sisters can call from the bumfuck town in the mountains of Spain to check on him, surely the phones work just as well in Jersey, right? lol

Sorry, just ranting. My sis and I talked with our dad last nite about what he wants to do on Christmas day. It'll be the 6-month anniversary since she died, so we might do a cemetery run first thing in the morning to bring flowers.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    Lizard wrote:
    {{{Chiqui}}}
    I wish you peace.
    Thank you Liz

I'm also just irritated at my 'family' back east (from my mom's side). Not a peep, not a card, nothing. Who knows, maybe after they get my cards they'll be like oh yeah, THOSE people!

I almost feel like saying to them that just because my mom died, doesn't mean we stopped existing.

It's like if my dad's brothers and sisters can call from the bumfuck town in the mountains of Spain to check on him, surely the phones work just as well in Jersey, right? lol

Sorry, just ranting. My sis and I talked with our dad last nite about what he wants to do on Christmas day. It'll be the 6-month anniversary since she died, so we might do a cemetery run first thing in the morning to bring flowers.

That sounds like a good idea. Bring some flowers that have a Christmas theme so it feels like you're bringing her something for the day.

I hope your family from New Jersey get a clue soon. :|
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    justam wrote:
    Lizard wrote:
    {{{Chiqui}}}
    I wish you peace.
    Thank you Liz

That sounds like a good idea. Bring some flowers that have a Christmas theme so it feels like you're bringing her something for the day.

I hope your family from New Jersey get a clue soon. :|
    Yup, a bouquet with a red/white theme should look pretty.

I have no faith in any of those peoples sadly. My grandfather (her dad) basically checked out of her life after he divorced her mom, and the distance only made it worse.

He traveled back to Cuba a couple years ago to see his brother who was sick, but wouldn't come out to California while she was sick, which was around the same time. His own daughter. She was in hospitals for 9 months straight, not to mention when she had the final decline at the beginning of this year.

Whatever. Their conscience and souls, not mine.
  • Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    so sorry B, and everyone else here in this thread.

i know its been said before
    and it sounds cliche
    and it feels like it will never happen
    but it will
    get better

my dad passed a few years back and he was especially jolly around Christmas time and he was always kind of like a little kid himself so excited to see the little ones open gifts from him. he made the holiday extra special for our family and was so exquisitely missed at this time of year

now, however, this time of year brings much joy and laughter, funny stories and wonderful memories. all around the tree you will hear things like "remember when pop used to...", and you can just picture it in your head as if it was happening all over again... we all have a good laugh remembering how he did things and its a warm fuzzy feeling. i find myself saying to the grandkids, you would have loved pop...he would have loved you so much.....and the thing is ~ i'm sure he does

hold on for it will come.

but for now....be at peace. don't push it away. embrace the feelings..all of them, good, bad and otherwise. its all part of who your mom was. eventually she'll be with you in a way you enjoy once more.

Hugs All
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    StillHere wrote:

and it sounds cliche
    but it will
    get better

my dad passed a few years back and he was especially jolly around Christmas time and he was always kind of like a little kid himself so excited to see the little ones open gifts from him. he made the holiday extra special for our family and was so exquisitely missed at this time of year

now, however, this time of year brings much joy and laughter, funny stories and wonderful memories. all around the tree you will hear things like "remember when pop used to...", and you can just picture it in your head as if it was happening all over again... we all have a good laugh remembering how he did things and its a warm fuzzy feeling. i find myself saying to the grandkids, you would have loved pop...he would have loved you so much.....and the thing is ~ i'm sure he does

but for now....be at peace. don't push it away. embrace the feelings..all of them, good, bad and otherwise. its all part of who your mom was. eventually she'll be with you in a way you enjoy once more.

Hugs All
    Thanks Jo. I'm sorry I keep going on and on in here, I'm sure I sound like a broken record :(

It's just really difficult being at work right now. If I could be anywhere right now it'd be by the water alone with a sketchbook. That would feel so nice right now.
  • Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    StillHere wrote:

and it sounds cliche
    but it will
    get better

Hugs All
    Thanks Jo. I'm sorry I keep going on and on in here, I'm sure I sound like a broken record :(

It's just really difficult being at work right now. If I could be anywhere right now it'd be by the water alone with a sketchbook. That would feel so nice right now.

no worries...you say all you need to say
    i know....this is a hard time
    i know you'll get through it
    and she'll be with you always
    hugs hugs hugs
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
    I'm so sorry, the holiday's are always the hardest.

This will be my first x-mas without my grandmother. My whole family has been going to her house for every holiday meal since I was born. Christmas is just not the same now that she's gone. Now everyone is doing there separate thing for holiday's, she was the glue that kept us all together.

I hope you can find peace somehow this holiday season.
    If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    My dad passed in August and so it's going to be tough for out family as well. For as long as I can remember he always had a big white beard so he would usually wear a santa hat since he was a pretty boisterous guy and it just made sense for him to play the part. I know it will get easier with each year but no doubt this first one is going to be hard.
  • Options
    Thanks again Jo, it does help to get it out here, I feel I always have to stay strong for those around me.

Jukee and spoonful, so sorry for your losses, and for everyone here, not just from this year but from past losses too. It is a weird comfort to know I'm not alone in this.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    My mom got into town today and the first few hours haven't been easy, to say the least. There is a stocking missing....

Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    My mom got into town today and the first few hours haven't been easy, to say the least. There is a stocking missing....

Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
    I'm so sorry :(

It's just all so strange. Nothing feels right.

I just want Sunday over with. Christmas shouldn't start with a cemetery visit.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    a few years back,sitting drunk with my best friend Nikos...
    was Christmas eve..i deside to spent with him..not to my dad,or mom,.after they got divorced,was always taugh,with who will spent holidays..
    he told me..man..so fucked up..you need every year to think whit who u will spent Christmas....

i answer..no buddy..im happy they are both in life and i have the chance to choose ..
    the fucked up is that you lost your mother so early and cant be with her this year..
    he look at me..wave his drink and we continue drinking...

sorry for your loss..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    good friend lost his father last night. it is hard.
  • Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    These things are so hard,this is the third Christmas without dad,I panicked a few days ago as I suddenly became fixated on the fact that I had forgot what his hands looked like,I was sweating and tearful trawling the depth of my memory even to get a glimpse of them,then I realised I should look at mine,we both have a crooked right pinky.

To add this year,my wondrous friend died 22nd November this year ... hard at this time of year.

Sending love to everyone here searching for a lost love,parent,sibling,friend.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”