Options

Afghan Whigs getting back together

Comments

• Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    Toronto and Cincinnati dates have been announced. Toronto on October 3rd (presale tomorrow), and Cincinnati on October 25.
  • Options
    Seeing them tonight. My last two concerts were spectacular so I'm hoping the Afghan Whigs are going to keep that streak alive tonight.
  • Options
    If you have a chance to see the Afghan Whigs, and have even a passing interest, SEE THEM! I was expecting something good, but last night blew those expectations away. Great performances all around, and a solid setlist.
  • Options
    If you have a chance to see the Afghan Whigs, and have even a passing interest, SEE THEM! I was expecting something good, but last night blew those expectations away. Great performances all around, and a solid setlist.

good to hear!
    if they come my way i'll go see 'em.
    Unfortuantely i was like 12, last time they were around.

Did get to see Gutter Twins in New Orleans a while back (at One Eyed Jacks) and it was relatively phenomenal.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    Last night was my first time seeing them after a decade of casually listening to all things Dulli.I was blown away. I would have loved to have seen the Gutter Twins.
  • Options
    pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
    Web to Terminal 5 AND scored for Music Hall of Williamsburg! T5 was really good, but MHOW is seriously one the best concerts I've EVER seen. The whole band was so much more engaged than T5, as was the crowd. I was front row in front of the piano. Holy crap. Dulli actually went into the crowd at one point and Curley was smiling away, which was not the case at T5. Sound also vastly improved. Just a great, unforgettable night.

One thing, I got an XL tour shirt and it's waaaay big. So if anyone goes to another show, I'd like to arrange a swap for a large.
    Now gotta find a boot!
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    All I need to hear is an announcement of an SLC date and I am fucking there.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    mensanemensane Posts: 912
    Holy Shit. :shock:
    Saw my first EVER Afghan Whigs show Friday in New Orleans. I love love love the Twilight Singers, and figured I would love the Whigs just as much.

Damn.

They are AMAZING. Greg...he is...how can I properly describe the persona he exhibits on stage with the Whigs. I have never had more fun at a concert in all of my life. (sorry PJ)

Front row for New Orleans. Front row in Atlanta the next night. Front row in Carrboro, NC the next night. Got setlists each night, plus one of Greg's picks in Carrboro.

:shock: Oh yeah....and this happened after the Atlanta show:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90376596@N00/8115117780/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90376596@N00/8115117582/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90376596@N00/8115117372/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90376596@N00/8115108775/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90376596@N00/8115117434/
  • Options
    That's awesome! These guys still have it, that's for sure.
  • Options
    Tonight is the night! The homecoming show at Bogarts in Cincinnati! I seriously haven't been this excited for a concert in a very long time. I'm all :D:D:D:D all day!
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options
    I hope your day goes by quick, and the show never ends! Enjoy.
  • Options
    Tonight is the night! The homecoming show at Bogarts in Cincinnati! I seriously haven't been this excited for a concert in a very long time. I'm all :D:D:D:D all day!

Have a great show....GET READY TO DANCE YOUR ASS OFF! 8-)
  • Options
    mensane wrote:

Being as white and nerdy as I am I never expected to "dance" my ass off like that at a concert. But, it was impossible not to. That show was amazing. From the second it started until the end, everybody was moving, jumping, dancing, screaming and singing along... that room was on fire all night long. My friend and I got to the venue early, we were the first two people in line and we were on the rail all night long, just feet away from the band. I seriously can't get over how good of a show it was and just how much fun I had. I can't wait to do it again at the same venue on New Year's Eve!
  • Options
    mensane wrote:

Being as white and nerdy as I am I never expected to "dance" my ass off like that at a concert. But, it was impossible not to. That show was amazing. From the second it started until the end, everybody was moving, jumping, dancing, screaming and singing along... that room was on fire all night long. My friend and I got to the venue early, we were the first two people in line and we were on the rail all night long, just feet away from the band. I seriously can't get over how good of a show it was and just how much fun I had. I can't wait to do it again at the same venue on New Year's Eve!

AWESOME! This band is on fire. No NYE for me....HOWEVER, I HAVE 6 MORE SHOWS ON THE WEST COAST!!! :shock: sooooo excited!!!
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Being a music person, I've been familiar with the name 'Afghan Whigs' for a little while now. But only recently have I started to listen to them and HOLY SHIT. I am in love. What amazing, kick ass music! Greg Dulli has an incredible voice and that band is tight! I'm upset it took me this long to know about them! So, my question is where should I begin? What do I need to know? What are the essentials?! Hopefully I can see these guys live sometime soon, they played DC only a few weeks before I 'discovered' them.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    well, unfortunately, there may not be any shows beyond this tour. the band hadn't toured in 13 years, so it was quite the surprise to have this tour. What do you need to know? That Greg Dulli is AMAZING. I love all of his bands....the Whigs, The Twilight Singers, The Gutter Twins...each diffrent, each sooo good. I didn't even know who he was until the third Twilight Singers album came out, so I am also playing catch up! When I first went back to listen to the Whigs, I got this compilation album that they put out and thought it sounded pretty good.It wasn't until I listened to the individual albums completely that I got it. He is the master of creating a mood with his albums. In interviews, he has said that he thinks of them as soundtracks to movies that don't exist.

So I gues my advice would be to take each album separately and really go deep into the lyrics. Start with Gentlemen. Some messed up themes in there....basically stemming from Greg's reaction to a very volatile relationship.
    Then Black Love...I love Black Love....has one of the all-time best opening songs.

But don't worry, it is not all dark. 1965 is a party. It's what I listen to before going out. They are the songs that make people LOSE THEIR SHIT at shows....the ones that MAKE you dance. I am soooooo glad they are doing this tour...because I don't think I could have ever "got it" without seeing them live.

Try to get to one of these shows...you will not regret it. But if for some reason you don't make it....hopefully there will be more Twilight Singers shows....because they are also amazing.
  • Options
    mensane wrote:
    Black Love....has one of the all-time best opening songs.

But don't worry, it is not all dark. 1965 is a party. It's what I listen to before going out. They are the songs that make people LOSE THEIR SHIT at shows....the ones that MAKE you dance. I am soooooo glad they are doing this tour...because I don't think I could have ever "got it" without seeing them live.

Try to get to one of these shows...you will not regret it. But if for some reason you don't make it....hopefully there will be more Twilight Singers shows....because they are also amazing.

Black Love has one of the all time best opening, and closing songs. Crime Scene Pt. 1 and Faded are just both absolutely amazing pieces of art.

And I couldn't agree more about 1965. Last night as they started to play "Crazy" Greg said something along the lines of "this is the part where everybody does their best hip hop dance moves". I laughed out loud and then a minute later realized that I was dancing my ass off.

I was talking to their tour manager while we were in line to get in last night. He said that especially Greg and John Duley were so excited about the show and they told him the night before that they felt like it was Christmas Eve and they couldn't sleep because they were so excited about the hometown gig. At one point Greg said that there was way too many people here tonight for him to be able to thank them all but his mom and dad were up in the balcony and for the crowd to say hi to them. Everybody turned around and clapped and cheered for them, it was so awesome. The band's VIP list was HUGE for last night's show. Their friends and family took up almost the entire balcony, probably about a hundred or so people. What an awesome feeling that must of been to be playing a club that you played so many times in the past and to finally be back there again with all of those people watching, and the hometown crowd just going bat shit insane every time the next song started. When Greg introduced the band near the end of the show Curley got just as big of a pop as Dulli did, I thought that was awesome.

I've been listening to this band since Black Love came out and this was my first time seeing them live. I really hope they keep it going after this tour is over.
  • Options
    And I couldn't agree more about 1965. Last night as they started to play "Crazy" Greg said something along the lines of "this is the part where everybody does their best hip hop dance moves". I laughed out loud and then a minute later realized that I was dancing my ass off.

ITheir friends and family took up almost the entire balcony, probably about a hundred or so people. What an awesome feeling that must of been to be playing a club that you played so many times in the past and to finally be back there again with all of those people watching, and the hometown crowd just going bat shit insane every time the next song started. When Greg introduced the band near the end of the show Curley got just as big of a pop as Dulli did, I thought that was awesome.

I've been listening to this band since Black Love came out and this was my first time seeing them live. I really hope they keep it going after this tour is over.

I have been listening to them daily since I discovered them. I love their albums. I have been watching all of the live feeds from their festival dates. I downloaded the audience recordings of their shows. NONE OF THAT PREPARED ME FOR SEEING THEM LIVE. Oh my God. The electricity is indescribable. I picked up the official bootleg of the Bowery show. Once I got home from my trip to the 3 shows, I put it in the cd player in my car. At the start of EVERY song, THE HAIR ON THE BACK OF MY NECK STANDS UP. It is like some sort of muscle memory that my body has that remembers the way I felt when I was witnessing the performances live.

sigh....ONLY 6 more shows....i need more.
  • Options
    shermsherm Seattle, Wa Posts: 708
    Anybody gonna be in Chicago tonight for the show? I cant wait to see them live. One of my favorite bands of all time.
    Detroit 03, Toronto 03, Toledo 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, Cincinnati 06, Chicago 07, Mansfield 08, EV Chicago 08, East Troy 11, Pensacola 12, EV Jax 12, Wrigley 13, Pittsburgh 13, Dallas 13, OKC 13, Detroit 14, Ft Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jax 16, Sea 18 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,070
    mensane wrote:

ITheir friends and family took up almost the entire balcony, probably about a hundred or so people. What an awesome feeling that must of been to be playing a club that you played so many times in the past and to finally be back there again with all of those people watching, and the hometown crowd just going bat shit insane every time the next song started. When Greg introduced the band near the end of the show Curley got just as big of a pop as Dulli did, I thought that was awesome.

I have been listening to them daily since I discovered them. I love their albums. I have been watching all of the live feeds from their festival dates. I downloaded the audience recordings of their shows. NONE OF THAT PREPARED ME FOR SEEING THEM LIVE. Oh my God. The electricity is indescribable. I picked up the official bootleg of the Bowery show. Once I got home from my trip to the 3 shows, I put it in the cd player in my car. At the start of EVERY song, THE HAIR ON THE BACK OF MY NECK STANDS UP. It is like some sort of muscle memory that my body has that remembers the way I felt when I was witnessing the performances live.

sigh....ONLY 6 more shows....i need more.

Bowery bootleg???? Were they selling this at the shows? Did I miss them?
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,070
    samjam wrote:
    Being a music person, I've been familiar with the name 'Afghan Whigs' for a little while now. But only recently have I started to listen to them and HOLY SHIT. I am in love. What amazing, kick ass music! Greg Dulli has an incredible voice and that band is tight! I'm upset it took me this long to know about them! So, my question is where should I begin? What do I need to know? What are the essentials?! Hopefully I can see these guys live sometime soon, they played DC only a few weeks before I 'discovered' them.

Once you get into their stuff, move into his other projects: The Twilight Singers, solo album, and The Gutter Twins (with Mark Lanegan). Decent bet right now that The Twilight Singers will tour again before you see another Whigs tour. They're very much in the same vein.

Also, are you familiar with the 33 1/3 series of books? If not, they're awesome and the one for Gentlemen is outstanding, a great Whigs primer.

http://www.amazon.com/Gentlemen-33-1-Bo ... s+33+1%2F3
  • Options
    pjl44 wrote:

Bowery bootleg???? Were they selling this at the shows? Did I miss them?

They had it at the merch stand. One of the single disc bootlegs in the paper sleeve. $20. It only goes to Faded though, didn't include the encore.
  • Options
    Why all the doubt on whether the Whigs will continue? Have they said something? Last I saw was an interview with Greg and he said he wasn't prepared to make any grand statements, and that they were just going to see how it went, and it appears to be going pretty damn well!
  • Options
    Why all the doubt on whether the Whigs will continue? Have they said something? Last I saw was an interview with Greg and he said he wasn't prepared to make any grand statements, and that they were just going to see how it went, and it appears to be going pretty damn well!

I would love them to continue....of course, I would also like more Twilight Singers and Gutter Twins too. I just think if we assume this is a one time thing, we won't be so disappointed when that's exactly what it is. And if it keeps going...that will be a great surprise. I just didn't want to risk missing it. I had set my goal as 10 Afghan Whigs show this tour. I will get 9. (It would have been 10 since I originally had a ticket for ATP, but decided to do NOLA, ATL, and NC instead)

They never said the last tour (in 1999) was going to be the last tour, so I think a lot of people didn't get the closure they needed to deal with that. At least they are honest enough to give us some warning this go around.
  • Options
    I didn't get the chance to see their London show so I hope they do tour again one day. A new Gutter Twins and Twilight Singers album sounds appealing also :D
  • Options
    mensane wrote:
    I would love them to continue....of course, I would also like more Twilight Singers and Gutter Twins too. I just think if we assume this is a one time thing, we won't be so disappointed when that's exactly what it is. And if it keeps going...that will be a great surprise. I just didn't want to risk missing it. I had set my goal as 10 Afghan Whigs show this tour. I will get 9. (It would have been 10 since I originally had a ticket for ATP, but decided to do NOLA, ATL, and NC instead)

They never said the last tour (in 1999) was going to be the last tour, so I think a lot of people didn't get the closure they needed to deal with that. At least they are honest enough to give us some warning this go around.

I see what you're saying, and I'm not pinning all my hopes on it or anything, but I'm optimistic, seems like they're really enjoying being a band again. It's all good though, pretty much anything Dulli puts his name to is awesome :D
  • Options
    It's all good though, pretty much anything Dulli puts his name to is awesome :D

THIS!
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Great video of a recent Afghan Whigs show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrQjXiiM ... watch-vrec
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    Tonight is LA 2. My 9th show of the tour. This tour has been phenomenal. I can't remember the last time I had so much fun. I was supposed to stop after this. But I have purchased a ticket for their New Years Eve show in Cincinnati. Just have to figure out travel arrangements.
  • Options
    shermsherm Seattle, Wa Posts: 708
    mensane wrote:
    Tonight is LA 2. My 9th show of the tour. This tour has been phenomenal. I can't remember the last time I had so much fun. I was supposed to stop after this. But I have purchased a ticket for their New Years Eve show in Cincinnati. Just have to figure out travel arrangements.

Thats awesome. Im trying like hell to make sure Im in Cincy on New Years Eve. I caught one show in Chicago and that just wasnt enough.
    Detroit 03, Toronto 03, Toledo 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, Cincinnati 06, Chicago 07, Mansfield 08, EV Chicago 08, East Troy 11, Pensacola 12, EV Jax 12, Wrigley 13, Pittsburgh 13, Dallas 13, OKC 13, Detroit 14, Ft Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jax 16, Sea 18