Options

Afghan Whigs getting back together

capthowdy1027capthowdy1027 Posts: 3,270
edited March 2013 in Other Music
For the first time in 13 years, Afghan Whigs will perform together on stage, and it's a pretty big show: The band will play All Tomorrow Parties' I'll Be Your Mirror festival in London May 25-27. Singer Greg Dulli also has been tapped to curate the ATP festival in Asbury Park, New Jersey Sept. 21-23, during which Afghan Whigs will also headline.

The Ohio rockers are replacing fellow Ohioans Guided By Voices, who have canceled all upcoming festival appearances. But while GBV won't be returning to the road anytime soon, there will be lots of music coming from Robert Pollard and the "classic" lineup of his band in the near future. As Pollard mentioned in our interview this week, the group already has the followup to the forthcoming Let's Go Eat The Factory in the can. It's called Class Clown Spots A UFO, and it will be out in May. Factory drops on Jan. 1.
* Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
* Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
* Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
* East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
* Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jshinjshin Posts: 1,759
    I was just about to post the news.. Might have to visit NJ next year, maybe stop at Vintage Vinyl while we're in the area.
    I ain't got no fly'n shoes..

• Options
    NO FUCKING WAY!!!!!! So happy :D

I was only listening to them yesterday and thinking that it sucked they were no longer together, I'll definitely be at the London show, yay!
  • Options
    I *love* 1965, but I prefer the Twilight Singers output to the earlier Whigs stuff. Dulli is gold regardless of what he's at though. Gold.
    My Pearl Jam shows: 1 in 1995, 2 in 1998, 20 in 2003, 13 in 2006, 3 in 2007, 8 in 2008, 5 in 2009, 4 in 2010, 5 in 2012. EV: 8 in 2011, 1 in 2012. Brad: 1 in 1998, 1 in 2002.
  • Options
    RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    Fuck yes!! Ohio represent!
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    I got into all things Dulli post-Whigs, so this is good news. I doubt I'll be attending these shows though.
  • Options
    I had tickets to see the Whigs new years eve in 1999 in Cincinnati but the damn show got cancelled, so I have never seen them. I think I'm going to start planning a trip to New Jersey.
  • Options
    mensanemensane Posts: 912
    DYING!!!!

Have almost clicked on the purchase button for London three times. Trying to be responsible ( :lol: ).

Definitely going to the NJ show. Sources are saying full tour in 2012 :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,292
    Wow, did not see this one coming! Possibly the best music news of the year! :D
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Oh my God, this is fucking awesome.

Hopefully more dates to come!!
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    goldrush wrote:
    Wow, did not see this one coming! Possibly the best music news of the year! :D

sorry...but this is so much greater than the PJ Euro tour that everyone is waiting for....

:shock:
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,070
    You know, I was wondering about the possibility of this when Curley joined him for a few songs on his solo tour. Really fantastic news as I didn't get into these guys until a few years back and have seen every Dulli incarnation but the Whigs. Not to be greedy, but hoping for a couple theater/club dates. Will hit the festival in Jersey if that's the only show, but I do love me a small indoor show.
  • Options
    I can only freakin' hope that if they do any more shows than the festivals that Cincinnati will be one of them. Seeing them here in my (and their) home town would be awesome. But, I'm not holding my breath. Cincinnati gets skipped on most people's tours.
  • Options
    I can only freakin' hope that if they do any more shows than the festivals that Cincinnati will be one of them. Seeing them here in my (and their) home town would be awesome. But, I'm not holding my breath. Cincinnati gets skipped on most people's tours.

Man, that would be a great move for a warm-up show or two. Rick and John still live there, right?
  • Options
    pjl44 wrote:

Man, that would be a great move for a warm-up show or two. Rick and John still live there, right?

I'm pretty sure both do, yes.

Sad thing is the venue in Cincinnati (which is actually not in Cincinnati, it's in northern Kentucky) that Dulli usually comes to, The Southgate House, is closing down at the end of this month. Too bad it couldn't stick around a little bit longer :(
  • Options
    pjl44 wrote:

I'm pretty sure both do, yes.

Sad thing is the venue in Cincinnati (which is actually not in Cincinnati, it's in northern Kentucky) that Dulli usually comes to, The Southgate House, is closing down at the end of this month. Too bad it couldn't stick around a little bit longer :(

When a band hits Cincinnati, I see Bogart's a lot. That place any good? Or maybe we're underestimating the demand and they'll hit Paul Brown Stadium.
  • Options
    Bogarts is a good venue, but it's been getting less and less acts lately. I really like the place though, it sounds great. I couldn't even begin to count how many times I've been there. Maybe they will play something larger like the Taft Theater or US Bank Arena even, but back in the day Southgate House and Bogarts were their regular Cincinnati stops.
  • Options
    pjl44 wrote:
    You know, I was wondering about the possibility of this when Curley joined him for a few songs on his solo tour. Really fantastic news as I didn't get into these guys until a few years back and have seen every Dulli incarnation but the Whigs. Not to be greedy, but hoping for a couple theater/club dates. Will hit the festival in Jersey if that's the only show, but I do love me a small indoor show.

right there with you. didn't discover the twilight singers until right before powder burns came out....but i have become a huge fan of all things dulli. i am so over the moon about this announcement. what i am hearing is full tour....europe, asia, u.s..... i really hope this is true. i will definitely be at the new jersey show.....trying to talk myself out of going to london....
  • Options
    Obviously heard of them, but have never properly listened. Any advice for where a newbie should start?
  • Options
    niallniall Posts: 244
    Start with the album "Gentlemen".
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    niall wrote:
    Start with the album "Gentlemen".

+1, best place to start I think.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    HELLZ JEZEBELZ YELLZ!

I may finally have to drag my ass to a stateside ATP.
    Been wanting to for a few of them (remember when the Lips hosted a while back) ...

Never saw the Whigs (too young) but saw Gutter Twins in NOLA a while back, and Dulli rocked it strong.

Personally,
    my favorite Whigs is actually an elvis (Dallas Frazier) cover:
    True Love Travels On A Gravel Road

but i guess I'm just weird.
    :D:D:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    JimNastics wrote:
    Obviously heard of them, but have never properly listened. Any advice for where a newbie should start?

i'd say listen in this order:
    Gentlemen
    Black Love
    Congregation
    (not a big fan of Up In It)
  • Options
    JimNastics wrote:

A case could be made for either of their last three albums as being their best. Gentlemen is a great record, definitely features some of their best stuff. 1965 is their 'party' album, far more upbeat in general. However my persoanl favourite is Black Love - it is crammed with big choruses, great guitar work and some of Dulli's best lyrics.

To give you an idea, wrap your ears around this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByRNASIBQ2Y :mrgreen:
  • Options
    shermsherm Seattle, Wa Posts: 708
    Awesome band, gotta love Dulli
    Detroit 03, Toronto 03, Toledo 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, Cincinnati 06, Chicago 07, Mansfield 08, EV Chicago 08, East Troy 11, Pensacola 12, EV Jax 12, Wrigley 13, Pittsburgh 13, Dallas 13, OKC 13, Detroit 14, Ft Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jax 16, Sea 18 
  • Options
    JimNastics wrote:
    However my persoanl favourite is Black Love - it is crammed with big choruses, great guitar work and some of Dulli's best lyrics.
    Definitely my favourite too, 6 of my all time favorite Dulli tracks are in the first 7 songs on this album!

Crime Scene Part One
    My Enemy
    Double Day
    Blame, Etc
    Going To Town
    Honky's Ladder

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush wrote:
    JimNastics wrote:
    However my persoanl favourite is Black Love - it is crammed with big choruses, great guitar work and some of Dulli's best lyrics.
    Definitely my favourite too, 6 of my all time favorite Dulli tracks are in the first 7 songs on this album!

Crime Scene Part One
    My Enemy
    Double Day
    Blame, Etc
    Going To Town
    Honky's Ladder

Why stop there?! Night by Candlelight is an amazing song. Hell so is the rest of the album. Black Love is a damn masterpiece.

I fell in love with the band the first time I heard Honky's Ladder. It's crazy to think that was 15 years ago.
  • Options
    goldrush wrote:

Crime Scene Part One
    My Enemy
    Double Day
    Blame, Etc
    Going To Town
    Honky's Ladder

Why stop there?! Night by Candlelight is an amazing song. Hell so is the rest of the album. Black Love is a damn masterpiece.

I fell in love with the band the first time I heard Honky's Ladder. It's crazy to think that was 15 years ago.
    Right, that's it. It's 10am, I'm in work, and the guys in my office are about to get their first blast of Black Love! It's definitely going to be a Dulli day today

Tonight tonight I say goodbye...

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    AfghanTwilightAfghanTwilight Rochester, NY Posts: 835
    I was wondering if this news would land on the forum. Obviously i'm as excited as anyone about next year. I'm already trying to convince my wife that I should go to the Jersey event.

I still listen to all things Dulli on a daily basis. I have to hear Now You Know, Summer's Kiss, and Faded if I attend the show.

And to the one asking where to start listening to them: at the beginning. Big Top Halloween. You need to hear the progression the band took, and absorb the way the raw sound evolved into this new dynamic raw.

I can't wait!!!!! Best music news this year!
  • Options
    I can't wait!!!!! Best music news this year!

This.

(love the screen name btw. and i also listen to dulli on a daily basis- i have a playlist called "sleepy greg" that i go to sleep to every night. ---i am a dork---)
  • Options
    To whoever asked about where to start with the Whigs:

You picked a band that has a large(ish) cult following. Every Dulli fan will give you a different album to pick as to where to start. The music is pretty different on each release, so his fans all have different favourite albums. Most fans of all things Dulli think most everything he touches is gold, but the fans will all have different favourite albums, too.

Mine is the last Whigs record, '1965'. It was recorded in New Orleans, and it sounds like it. Dulli at his most sexy. The production is of the kitchen-sing variety: mental harmonies and over the top backing vocals, horns, strings-they just threw everything at that album. And it's amazing. Good luck with you Dulli explorations!
    My Pearl Jam shows: 1 in 1995, 2 in 1998, 20 in 2003, 13 in 2006, 3 in 2007, 8 in 2008, 5 in 2009, 4 in 2010, 5 in 2012. EV: 8 in 2011, 1 in 2012. Brad: 1 in 1998, 1 in 2002.