*** Detroit Fanviews 5/22 Here ***

13»

Comments

• Yeah that was really awesome. I was extremely happy with the length/overall quality of the show. I really got the impression that they *wanted* to perform for us, and they *wanted* to stay, which means a lot!!
  • thegerg713thegerg713 Posts: 1
    My first show...I had a great time...only a few songs I didn't get to hear that I wanted to (e.g., I REALLY wanted to hear LBC, but oh well)

I can't wait to see them again sometime...I'm looking forward to catching as many PJ shows as possible in the future
  • whitepantswhitepants Posts: 727
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • Slip KidSlip Kid Posts: 1,175
    One of the best shows I could have attended this yr. 2 1/2hrs of Pearl Jam is time well spent.

All the songs were great, even Wasted Reprise which, I saw in Cleveland but nothing is wrong with that... .

The only kind of complaint is that; I didn't get to see Release and that song I really wanted to see. Other then that I haven't a complaint.

Solid set throughout the night. Killer Longroad straight in to Corduroy. Didn't let up anytime soon.

As others have mentioned, many humorous events throughout the night. The whole "84" statement, Stone fuckin up Nothingman, and the whole "confidence" speech.

Really just a great night to be a Pearl Jam fan

out of the 6 shows I've seen,.. this is definately tops
    I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
  • reditalianreditalian Posts: 329
    The show was awesome!!!!!
    I celebrated my birthday that night and it was amazing. Hoops was a blast, for anyone that went befor the show I was with 3 other dudes (one was 6'8") and we were really loud so I'm sorry for bothering anyone....hahahaha. The Post after was fun to.
    There's no I in team, but there's me.

"0035 EVENFLOW PSYCHOS

"I'm George Bush and my son's an asshole" 08/03/2000

Don't stop wen you're tired, stop when you're done
  • civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    reditalian wrote:
    The show was awesome!!!!!
    I celebrated my birthday that night and it was amazing. Hoops was a blast, for anyone that went befor the show I was with 3 other dudes (one was 6'8") and we were really loud so I'm sorry for bothering anyone....hahahaha. The Post after was fun to.

was the 6'8" dude from Grand Rapids???
    i stood next to a VERY tall, VERY nice guy from GR, 20th row on the floor....

i feel sorry for the people behind us... because i'm 6'0" !! :o
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • IMgoneIMgone Posts: 1
    The solo of gone, before jacket was unbelievable!!!!!!! Anyone at the GR show? I actually got a drumstick! Cried like a baby
  • wheelzwheelz Posts: 26
    First and foremost let me say the show was definitely a good one. This was my fourth PJ show and it's awesome that they're playing so many of the new songs. I couldn't believe the intensity of the second encore.

I've been a 10C member for 8 yrs now and have been happy with my seat locations every time, but have yet to be lucky enough to be right up front yet. Now I have a complaint. This was my first show since my unfortunate confinement to a wheelchair a couple years ago and I knew this meant that I probably wasn't going to be getting prime seats. When I purchased my tickets through the 10C they notified me they would exchange my tickets for accessible seating. I was extremely disappointed at the location of the wheelchair accessible seating at the Palace. The accessible seating is on the concourse level, at the end of the arena. It's basically an unfinished suite, or in other words a concrete bunker that destroys the acoustics.

I hope the 10C tries their best to accommodate all fan club members' ticket requests and there probably isn't much they can do about where a venue's accessible seats are, but if you can get a stage onto an arena floor then there must be a way to get a few wheelchairs down there as well.

I hope the other venues on the tour have better options for the 10C in terms of where they're able to seat members who need accessible seating, because if not then fan club members who are wheelchair users, like myself, are getting the shaft. And that's not fair.
    East Lansing 98, Detroit 00, Detroit 03, Detroit 06, Chicago 09, EV Detroit 11, Wrigley Field 13
  • reditalianreditalian Posts: 329
    was the 6'8" dude from Grand Rapids???
    i stood next to a VERY tall, VERY nice guy from GR, 20th row on the floor....

i feel sorry for the people behind us... because i'm 6'0" !! :o

No he's from Sarnia, but I do feel sorry for who ever had to stand behind him.
    There's no I in team, but there's me.

"0035 EVENFLOW PSYCHOS

"I'm George Bush and my son's an asshole" 08/03/2000

Don't stop wen you're tired, stop when you're done
  • KricketKricket Posts: 707
    reditalian wrote:
    No he's from Sarnia, but I do feel sorry for who ever had to stand behind him.
    Fellow Sarnia people on the board:)
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Pearl Jam always plays the last few songs of the set with the house lights on. Why would the palace care how long the concert goes? Pearl Jam is paying to use the place, they are the customers and the ticket holders are the customers not the palace.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • This was my first PJ concert and I was absolutely blown away! I have loved PJ since they first came out. All I wanna do is quit my job and follow them around on tour...wouldn't that be fun?? One of my favorite parts of the show was when they played Come Back which is definitely my favorite on the new cd. I was really, really bummed that they didn't play Black though...definitely my favorite from Ten. Eddie's "screw ups" only made them more likeable and real. They just sounded absolutely fenomenal...PERIOD! Next time I hope to have really good seats so that I can at least see the band up close.
  • The concert was amazing!!! My day started with with an 8 hour shift at work in the morning. So i figured it would be a good idea to take a bunch of caffiene pills and drink a fifth of vodka before the concert. The memory of the drive there was a little fuzzy, but I got there right after My Morning Jacket was leaving the stage and I was ready to rock out. When PJ began to play I went nuts. I went with a couple of Pearl Jam concert virgins, and I'm usually pretty mellow, so they were really surprised to see the way I was acting at the concert. I'm only 22 and i've been listening to pearl jam since i was in 6th grade, when I hear the band live I lose myself.

There new music is amazing live (wish they played parachutes). My favorite songs that they played were: Given to a fly, Do the evolution, marker in the sand, why go, and porch (I loved the way the band slowed up the first verse of porch). Yellow Ledbetter transitioning into the star spangled banner was enough to bring a chill down your spine, and it was an amazing way to end an amazing concert.
    IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!!

Shows attending on this tour:

Detriot 05/22/06
    Cincinnati 06/24/06
  • The concert was amazing!!! My day started with with an 8 hour shift at work in the morning. So i figured it would be a good idea to take a bunch of caffiene pills and drink a fifth of vodka before the concert. The memory of the drive there was a little fuzzy, but I got there right after My Morning Jacket was leaving the stage and I was ready to rock out. When PJ began to play I went nuts. I went with a couple of Pearl Jam concert virgins, and I'm usually pretty mellow, so they were really surprised to see the way I was acting at the concert. I'm only 22 and i've been listening to pearl jam since i was in 6th grade, when I hear the band live I lose myself.

There new music is amazing live (wish they played parachutes). My favorite songs that they played were: Given to a fly, Do the evolution, marker in the sand, why go, and porch (I loved the way the band slowed up the first verse of porch). Yellow Ledbetter transitioning into the star spangled banner was enough to bring a chill down your spine, and it was an amazing way to end an amazing concert.
    IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!!

Shows attending on this tour:

Detriot 05/22/06
    Cincinnati 06/24/06
  • i thought the 2nd encore was the fastest i have ever heard the band play. they were playing with such fury, it was great. can't wait for the st. paul shows.
    don't sweat the petty things
    pet the sweaty things
  • HoneyHoney Posts: 8
    I'm surprised noone mentioned that the house lights came on half way through the last encore. For those that don't know, the Palace has a curfew of 11pm in most cases. They fine bands that go over. Not sure if this applied to the show, but when the lights came on, I think it was the Palace's way to asking for everyone to go home. The best part, the band could have cared less and played at least 3-4 more songs with the house lights on.

The Palace may have a curfew, and I dont know how many PJ concerts you have been to but PJ always turns the light on for the last few songs so they can see the crowd.
    "My mother was of the sky, my father was of the earth, but I am of the universe, and you know what it's worth" ----JL----
  • Last time I saw them was at the Pine Knob (DTE) and I was way to messed up to remember the house lights. Either way, great show. Looking forward to Cincy.
    7-31-1992; 3-19-1994; 3-20-1994; 9-22-1996; 8-23-1998; 10-07-2000; 06-25-2003;
    05-22-2006; 5-09-2010; 6-26-11 (EV), 9-11-2011
  • IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    Had to give this thread some love.

Here's an article I found online - I'm still reeling over that show - can't believe Eddie pulled up one of my ASL interpreters, Stacy, to sign/sing with him. :):)

Didn't think I could have loved the band more after that... :)

There are also some great shots taken by the writer, Jamie Griffin.

http://www.review-mag.com/archive/610-619/616/PearlJam.htm

====================================

Concerts in Review: PEARL JAM
    With a politically charged new album, Eddie & Company Give Props to the Motor City

By Jamie Griffin

In a time when playoff fever is running rampant throughout Detroit, Pearl Jam's May 22nd appearance a the Palace of Auburn Hills proved to be a perfect celebration of all things Detroit.
    While celebrating the Pistons Eastern Conference finals berth, the Seattle quintet managed to make the palace roar. With a crowd 12,000 strong Eddie Vedder and company tore through a crowd-pleasing 32-song set.

With numerous references throughout the night about what a hard working town Detroit is, Pearl Jam went to work. Playing a set that any fan would dream to hear, the band opened up with Long Road and took the crowd on a 3 hour journey playing both old favorites like Evenflow, and numerous tracks off their new self-titled studio album.

The album, which debuted at #2, lends itself nicely to a live show. Vedder and company played 10 of the 13 tracks much to the approval of the crowd.

Vedder opened the night sitting alone on stage with only his guitar. In what's become a tradition, he came out to play one song (Gone off of Pearl Jam) and warm the crowd up for the set opener, My Morning Jacket. It was the perfect quiet start to an evening that would erupt later into thunderous cheers and applause.

Once Pearl Jam hit the stage the crowd never left their feet. When the band was playing hard rocking tracks like Animal, Jeremy or the new single World Wide Suicide, the energy in the arena was contagious.

Like all bands, Pearl Jam fed off the crowd enthusiasm. Guitarist Mike McCreedy took the crowd on a number of trips with blazing guitar solos and stage antics that would rival rock stringers half his age.
    One of the great points in the night was the rendition of the new ballad Come Back, dedicated to the band's friend Chelli. (Detroit Red Wing Chris Chelios).
    The song set a beautiful tone in the building and was one of the first appearances of lighters. The night merely started there. With a series of multi-song encores Pearl Jam capped off the evening with a series of mishaps, classics and covers.

After the main set, the band returned to stage. Vedder announced that he had a fresh bottle of wine and proceeded to lead the band through melodic versions of Man of the Hour and Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town. After a minor guitar slip up the singer told about how in Grand Rapids he got accused of forgetting the words while guitarist Stone Gossard had messed up the guitar part.

Gossard assured Eddie and the crowd that he knew the song. The song went on beautifully, with the crowd drowning Vedder out in numerous parts. The hitch came when the band tried to progress into Nothingman and Gossard had a guitar malfunction, which left Vedder laughing and asking the crowd if they still had faith in the band.

After the ballad the band turned the intensity up and pounded through Inside Job and grunge anthem Alive which highlighted McCreedy's antics as he ran up grandstand stairs while playing a blistering solo. Even though this ended the first encore, the show was far from over.

After a few minutes of cheering the band returned to stage for the second time and played a marathon of Whipping, Do the Evolution, and new track Comatose before inviting a Sign Language interpreter out of the crowd to sign the song Given to Fly.

After some quick dancing Vedder said goodbye to the interpreter and headed into hyper drive with versions of Why Go and Porch off of 1991's album Ten.

The show closed with a remark about how Detroit deserves to host the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame due to the amount of talent it's produced and continues to produce.

An impromptu band meeting set up a tribute to one of the Motor City's legendary bands and the show ended with a cover of the MC5 revolutionary single, Kick Out the Jams.

The lights came up and the crowd filed out to the band playing Yellow Ledbetter. It was a perfect ending to a great celebration at the Palace.
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII