*** Detroit Fanviews 5/22 Here ***

edwhoedwho Posts: 811
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
~

Ed preset: Gone

My Morning Jacket set list: At Dawn, Anytime, Off the Record, Gideon, Wordless Chorus, What a Wonderful Man, One Big Holiday, Mahgeetah

Pearl Jam set list: Long Road, Corduroy, World Wide Suicide, Severed Hand, Animal, Marker In The Sand, In Hiding, Even Flow, I Am Mine, Army Reserve, Insignificance, Garden, Wasted Reprise, Life Wasted, State Of Love And Trust, Come Back, Jeremy, Rearviewmirror

1st encore: Man Of The Hour, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, Nothingman, Inside Job, Alive

2nd encore: Whipping, Do The Evolution, Comatose, Given To Fly, Why Go, Porch, Indifference, Kick Out The Jams, Yellow Ledbetter / (Star Spangled Banner)

Please post your Fanview if you were in attendance.

Early set list Message Pit “sarge.pj,” “slightofjeff” and “ insomniaisevil”

Set list source tenclub.net, mymorningjacket.com, theskyiscrape.com, blackredyellow.com and you.

~

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    ~

What’s a Fanview?

A FanView is an exclusive Message Pit thread for fans that attend a concert and want to share their experience with fans that could not.

Does a FanView need to be certain length?

No, your FanView can be one word “AWESOME,” a few lines or a short story.

What if I’m not a great speller or the best at grammar?

Don’t worry about this, do the best you can. The Grammar Police take a holiday for these types of threads. Trust me, I speak from experience.

I have a couple incredibly interesting comments on the show -- but I wasn’t there -- should I go ahead and post them here anyway?

No, this thread is reserved for the lucky fans that attend the concert.

I need to ask a question about the concert -- but I wasn’t there. Should I ask it here?

No, I’m trying for pure Fanviews from the fans who were there.

Are you a Ten Club member? Consider posting your member number and seat location with your Fanview.

A FanView can include but is not limited to such things as your description of Pearl Jams set, the opening bands set, what it took or how you got to the show, how was the pre-party, what did you do after the show, how did you feel?

“THANK YOU” to everyone that has helped make Fanviews a true pleasure to read.

Thanks for sharing, edwho

~

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• PJFaninIndyPJFaninIndy Posts: 93
    Good show! I just got back to the lovely Hampton Inn here in Auburn Hills. I don't know where in the set list, but they also played "Marker in the Sand". The new album tracks sound great live! Can't wait for Cincy now!
    6/22/03 – Noblesville, IN
    10/3/04 – Grand Rapids, MI
    9/11/05 – Kitchener, ON Canada
    9/12/05 – London, ON Canada
    5/22/06 – Auburn Hills, MI
    6/24/06 – Cincinnati, OH
    8/23/09 – Chicago, IL
    5/7/10 – Noblesville, IN
    7/19/13 – Wrigley Field
    10/1/14 – Cincinnati, OH
    10/20/14 – Milwaukee, WI
    4/26/16 – Lexington, KY
    8/20/16 – Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 – Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 - Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 - Wrigley Field
    9/6/22 - Hamilton, ON Canada
    9/17/22 - Bourbon & Beyond, Louisville, KY
    9/18/22 - St. Louis. MO
    9/5/23 - Chicago, IL
    9/7/23 - Chicago, IL
  • The show was really great. I've seen them a few times over the years and this was a really solid show. Ed came out and did an opener before My Morning Jacket (not sure which song, too old to remember lol) and MMJ btw were amazing. The set was tight, Ed screwed up during Nothingman and Small Town.Made a comment about a newpaper article mentionign how he not stone fucked up small town as an opener a few nights previous lol. But it was great. Nt totally sold out but a good 90% sold out. really enthusiastic crowd overall. Posters sold out way too fucking fast, Igot screwed. I bought a nice 5$ tour poster though! Drinks were cuyt off at 9:30pm, no biggie though. I had to leave after the first encore unfortunately. Long live Pearl Jam! Viva

PS- Still howveer not as good as Nirvana 10/29/93! suckah :P
  • Reno1979Reno1979 Posts: 92
    WOW. Just got to my hotel... Mayeb the best setlist I have seen them play. Ed brought up Stacy, one of the ASL interpreters (sp? fuck) during GTF, which was nice. Lots of great mistakes.... broken string that fucked up the beggining to Nothingman... Love that sort of thing... (Stone's fault). Couple lulls in the show (Army Reserve, In Hiding (although I marked out for it))... but like I said.. the setlist was GREAT. The second encore was probably my favorite PJ moment ever. The Why Go to Porch and then saluting the MC5 was brilliant.

Naked girlfriend in my hotel room... gotta go. More later...

Reno

PS

I have kinda never gotten into Comatose on the album.. went over HUGE tonight. Very nice.
  • BangBugBangBug Posts: 34
    you guys got in hiding...in hiding dammit
    Toronto '96
    Barrie '98
    Toronto '00
    Toronto '03
    Hamiltion '05
    Toronto '05
    Toronto 05/09/06
    Toronto 05/10/06
  • DetPJFanDetPJFan Posts: 8
    Awesome set!! The coolest thing was when they played kick out the jams (especially for Detroit). The guys didn't quite know it, so while Eddie was covering, you could see the guys in the back corner of the stage working on the song for a couple of minutes. Very cool! They did a great job on this classic song. I am exhasted! Pearl Jam really kicked ass tonight. Oh yeah, Mike almost wiped out, it looked like like a mirror or lamenated set list or something was on the front of the stage.

Last edited by DetPJFan : 05-22-2006 at 08:43 PM.
  • My Morning Jacket really impressed me. (Except that their lead singer has very Vedderesque hair and stage mannerisms.)

Set list = phenomenal!!!

The crowd's energy seemed, in general, a little low until it really picked up at the first encore.

Another Given To Fly ASL moment.

Although I considered Comatose one of the weaker tracks on the new album, it absolutely OWNED live. Conversely, In Hiding is one of my all time favorites but it didn't really do it for me at the show.

The standard great moments throughout.

Again, set list = phenomenal!!! For my personal tastes, I would've been hard pressed to hand pick a better one.
    "I smile, but who am I kidding?"
  • edwho wrote:
    ~

Ed preset: Gone

My Morning Jacket set list: At Dawn, Anytime, Off the Record, Gideon, Wordless Chorus, What a Wonderful Man, One Big Holiday, Mahgeetah

Pearl Jam set list: Long Road, Corduroy, World Wide Suicide, Severed Hand, Animal, Marker In The Sand, In Hiding, Even Flow, I Am Mine, Army Reserve, Insignificance, Garden, Wasted Reprise, Life Wasted, State Of Love And Trust, Come Back, Jeremy, Rearviewmirror

1st encore: Man Of The Hour, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, Nothingman, Inside Job, Alive

2nd encore: Whipping, Do The Evolution, Comatose, Given To Fly, Why Go, Porch, Indifference, Kick Out The Jams, Yellow Ledbetter /(Star Spangled Banner)

Please post your Fanview if you were in attendance.

Early set list Message Pit “sarge.pj,” slightofjeff” and “ insomniaisevil”

Set list source tenclub.net, mymorningjacket.com, theskyiscrape.com, blackredyellow.com and you.

~

thanks for including the MMJ setlists! they rawked the house, yet again. detroit is my last time seeing them open...which is a damn shame. they are a great band. off the record, which they have been doing at almost every show, is totally amazing. i cant say enough about them to do them proper justice. ESPECIALLY after witnessing that magic in cleveland!

long road...it sure has been. thanks to all the good people i met up with on this tour. it's nice to see ya'll deadicated folk that are there for the start of the MMJ set, and luckily ev has graced us these past couple of shows, with a preset :) ev rawks

i REALLY missed corduroy in cleveland...and i mean REALLY. i love that song so much. nice to see animal in there too...my first time for this tour

i've ranted about the new cd plenty but after a few shows i still find myself looking forward to all the news songs more than anything else. army reserve was delivered tonight and i was thankful to see it go down, finally. marker in the sand was missed in cleveland so it was MOST welcomed back tonight

9 songs for the 2nd encore to me meant the band was having FUN. could you tell? i could! and what a great set of songs...the 1st 3 songs for the 2nd encore came out KICKING. kick out the jams was done to perfection

mike ended the show with YL which made buddy beside me SMILE. inside job and mike are really the whole story for this tour for me. i'm so proud of mike...even star bangled meant something.

i got lots more to say, but its 2am...i'll save it for later :)
  • doogdoog Posts: 59
    I'll tell ya what people, that setlist kicked my ass! I just got home and crammed a handful of ibuprofen down my sore throat in hopes it will also cure my headache!

I'm physically and mentally spent right now from jumping up & down/fist pumping/singing along, and i couldn't be more satisfied!

Can't decide which moment was my favorite, but here a a few highlights, in no particular order:

1. Got to see Mikey up close and personal chatting w/some fans before the show near the loading dock area.

2. 'Gone' as preset opener

3. My 5th PJ show-first time ever seeing Jeremy, (the first PJ song i ever loved-back in 92), Long Road, Garden, Come Back, Nothingman.

4. Ed smashing the mic stand on the ground repeatedly...

5. Ed spiking the megaphone after Comatose..

6. "Kick out the Jams" BTW- Shame on you people for heading for the exits during this song! especially after ed commented on how the R&R HOF is in Cleveland, but considering all the great music that has come out of detroit over the years, maybe it should be in the D..

I think the funniest moment of the night was just before Nothingman. They had just finished Small Town and Ed tells this story of how they played ST early in the set in Grand Rapids. The GR paper the next day pointed out that ST was a strange opener and that EV seemed to forget the lyrics and the crowd took over the singing. Ed had a different take-he said that Stone screwed up part of the guitar work in GR and that was the reason it sounded off.

Ed then noted that in tonight's version of Small Town, Stone did play it correctly, but then Ed, himself, "fucked-up" the singing. He then thanked the crowd for continuing to have confidence in the band. He said something like, 'i mean sometimes we F up, but sometimes we're pretty good. and thanks for having confidence in us."

No sooner does the cheering end from this do the guys go into Nothingman. Then about 20 seconds in, Stone's guitar breaks and the song comes to a screeching hault! Ed just threw his arms up the air and said something like "How's your confidence in us NOW?!?!" A Classic Moment! Hilarious!

That's all i got for now-gotta go to bed. exhausted, tired of typing, fingers aching,,,,,,,falling offf..........djao0iusdngasodngvvn xc
  • WindNoSailWindNoSail Posts: 580
    man, i need to see Nothingman in a bad way live. And Jeremy would be cool. Plus all the new songs.

And then there is the naked girlfriend in Reno's room...I need to hear more about that!
    HOB 10.05.2005, E Rutherford 06.03.2006, The Gorge 07.22.2006, Lolla 08.05.2007, West Palm 06.11.2008, Tampa 06.12.2008, Columbia 06.16.2008, EV Memphis 06.20.2009, New Orleans 05.01.2010, Kansas City 05.03.2010
  • allmyrivalsallmyrivals Posts: 228
    Detroit .......it was a great set! There were some really great moments that i'm sure others will fill everyone in on .....but i would have to say the best moment for me was meeting Mike!! We got to meet him and talk for quite a while before the show outside near the loading docks.

He's just like everyone in the past has described him......a very genuine polite all round normal human.

I waited 16 years for that moment.......and i was not dissapointed in the very least !!!!!

fuck yeah!!

allmyrivals
    EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0031
    WHAAHYEAH!!
  • outontheporchoutontheporch Posts: 172
    WindNoSail wrote:

And then there is the naked girlfriend in Reno's room...I need to hear more about that!

yeah, can someone post a fanview?
    "I forgot the F***ing song."
    - Eddie Vedder, San Francisco 7-16-06, after botching Sometimes, the night's opener

http://people.ucsc.edu/~mquery/pics/pujolsFTW.JPG
  • outontheporchoutontheporch Posts: 172
    BTW: Great to see Corduroy back as the #2 hitter where it belongs, always and forever. Like every show in 2000 almost.
    "I forgot the F***ing song."
    - Eddie Vedder, San Francisco 7-16-06, after botching Sometimes, the night's opener

http://people.ucsc.edu/~mquery/pics/pujolsFTW.JPG
  • Reno1979Reno1979 Posts: 92
    As far as the girl... the fanview is ALWAYS amazing... It was her first PJ concert and we flew in from Baltimore, which she kinda thought was nuts.. but now she gets it.

I agree with the poster that said the crowd was a little tame until later in the show.. honestly, I sat quite far back for the first time in years, and could really see a direct tie between the bands energy and the crowd. When the band kicked it up, the crowd generally followed. Ed kinda just chilled and stood still for much of the middle of the main set. His voice broke on him a couple times, but he seemed a bit more alive in the encores. Anyways.... I loved it... back to the airport for me.
  • Alive1897Alive1897 Posts: 5
    This was my 5th show and it was by far the best set list I have seen. The new tracks sounded sweet and the 2nd encore was amazing, to hear why go & porch was awesome.

My favorite part of the night might have been when the guy next to me pretty much close lined this girl running down our aisle. Like a good man he had to protect his beer that was on the floor. It was quite funny- it would have been better had he gave her the Russian Sicle and completely laid her out.... I know I would have laughed harder then I did.

Ther is not much more I can say right now except I was only 5 minutes late to work this morning..... hahaha George Killian you will never get the best of me!
    Anyone who punches themselves in the face while masturbating has a short penis.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,332
    Loved the show. Great double-header withe Cleveland. Not too many repeats except the new songs which I could hear every night.

Seemed a different vibe from the band though. In Cleveland, they all seemed Happy go lucky...it was a jam amongst friends. In Detroit, they were all happy, but Ed was certainly more business like...in a good way. He seemed focused and intense. Made for a great 1-2 punch with Cleveland.

Let me say...that 2nd encore was fierce.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • grace6697grace6697 Posts: 1,191
    still reeling from the show. i was 6th row on the aisle totally and utterly rocking out.

i'll never make fun of the midwest again. :)
    take your money and your drugs.
  • KricketKricket Posts: 707
    grace6697 wrote:
    still reeling from the show. i was 6th row on the aisle totally and utterly rocking out.

Me too...I was 6th row too...center section in front of ED.
  • Best set list Ive seen! Porch, Garden, IN HIDING! Damn!

Missed Gone. Damn
  • Everything seemed to be going wrong for me last night. I've seen Pearl Jam a dozen times or so and had never failed to be amazed with the complete experience of a Pearl Jam concert. It was the first time I'd bought tickets through the ten club and they hooked me up with some really mediocre seats and the sound lacked energy as it echoed through the Palace. In celebration of my little sister’s birthday I had shared a ticket with her and it was her first Pearl Jam show. We were both unimpressed with the sound from our seats and, seeing a fair amount of empty spots, decided we could do better. After finding a better spot she was motioned over by two security personnel while on a trip to the bathroom.

"Hey, you want better seats? We can help you out" they enticed. Mistaking twisted intent with kindness, my sister listened as they went on to ask, "What are you willing to do for it?"

Being a fairly innocent teenager, she was confused and responded with “What?” until they went on to ask her "what she was willing to show or do" at which point she broke into tears and ran to find me.

I got pretty hot headed over the whole thing and I'd have to say my night was ruined. I will say that something changed for the better after the first encore. I started to feel a lot more energy from the band and crowd at that point. Maybe it was only because I had a head riddled with emotion, but I loved the later half of the concert and I was stoked to hear them play Porch.

With that said, I think I’m going to avoid the Palace for the rest of my life. I know its really not fair of me, but I can't help but associating those ass hole security guards with Pearl Jam. I hope this fades soon because I don't know what will happen if I'm forced to listen to that new shit they're passing for music on the radio stations.
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    what time did Ed come on to do the pre-set???
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Sorry - forgot i shouldn't post on this thread unless was at the show. deleted.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,332
    locked wrote:
    what time did Ed come on to do the pre-set???

Right before MMJ...about 7:30 I believe.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • manic mindmanic mind Posts: 84
    Another great show. Stone really seemed to have some problems for a little bit though. Ed was just a smidge drunk. LOL! They had some problems here and there..a few mistakes, but I like the fact that when they fuck up they admit it and don't try to pretend like they're perfect. Ed said after they messed up that they were a shit band. NO FUCKING WAY! That is not possible. We love you no matter how much you fuck up. It makes you human.

Great show! The back of my calves have bruises on them from leaning against my chairs. Hurts like hell! But it's a sweet reminder of the great show I got to experience. Looking forward to Cincy in June!
    Sold to Pearl Jam at birth!
  • YieldDocYieldDoc Posts: 12
    ...that 2nd encore was fierce.
    Fierce might actually be an understatement. It is still kicking my butt this morning.
  • manic mindmanic mind Posts: 84
    Everything seemed to be going wrong for me last night. I've seen Pearl Jam a dozen times or so and had never failed to be amazed with the complete experience of a Pearl Jam concert. It was the first time I'd bought tickets through the ten club and they hooked me up with some really mediocre seats and the sound lacked energy as it echoed through the Palace. In celebration of my little sister’s birthday I had shared a ticket with her and it was her first Pearl Jam show. We were both unimpressed with the sound from our seats and, seeing a fair amount of empty spots, decided we could do better. After finding a better spot she was motioned over by two security personnel while on a trip to the bathroom.

"Hey, you want better seats? We can help you out" they enticed. Mistaking twisted intent with kindness, my sister listened as they went on to ask, "What are you willing to do for it?"

Being a fairly innocent teenager, she was confused and responded with “What?” until they went on to ask her "what she was willing to show or do" at which point she broke into tears and ran to find me.

I got pretty hot headed over the whole thing and I'd have to say my night was ruined. I will say that something changed for the better after the first encore. I started to feel a lot more energy from the band and crowd at that point. Maybe it was only because I had a head riddled with emotion, but I loved the later half of the concert and I was stoked to hear them play Porch.

With that said, I think I’m going to avoid the Palace for the rest of my life. I know its really not fair of me, but I can't help but associating those ass hole security guards with Pearl Jam. I hope this fades soon because I don't know what will happen if I'm forced to listen to that new shit they're passing for music on the radio stations.

I can't believe they did that to her. You should have gotten their names or something and reported it. That is such bullshit! People are such assholes.
    I'm really sorry to hear that happened, but please don't let it taint your opinion of Pearl Jam. The security I talked to were really nice! Just remember that P.J. doesn't pick these people. What doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger!
    Sold to Pearl Jam at birth!
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Everything seemed to be going wrong for me last night. I've seen Pearl Jam a dozen times or so and had never failed to be amazed with the complete experience of a Pearl Jam concert. It was the first time I'd bought tickets through the ten club and they hooked me up with some really mediocre seats and the sound lacked energy as it echoed through the Palace. In celebration of my little sister’s birthday I had shared a ticket with her and it was her first Pearl Jam show. We were both unimpressed with the sound from our seats and, seeing a fair amount of empty spots, decided we could do better. After finding a better spot she was motioned over by two security personnel while on a trip to the bathroom.

that is pretty sick. by the way you say innocent teenager i get the feeling she's probably underage? you should have reported them. they ought to be fired, if not arrested.

as others have said... that second encore was out of this world. they came back ready to rock for that one and it was SO intense!
  • MBaileyMBailey Posts: 4
    In Hiding and Kick Out the Jams?!!?!? What a night! Watching Stone, Mike and Jeff working out Kick Out the Jams a minute before they played it was pretty cool. Chris Chelios in the house (backstage but right in front of our seats in row 1 to the far right), bringing Stacy the ASL interpreter on stage during Given To Fly....... it's worth the sleep I missed and the crap I'm taking from my boss for being late this morning. Thank you tenclub and PJ. You rock!!!
  • doubledeedoubledee Posts: 23
    grace6697 wrote:

I was in the sixth row as well! seat 10. This is my 7th PJ show and I too thought the crowd was a little tame in the beginning. I guess I was thinking I would be surrounded by other 10C members who would be rockin out like me, but that wasn't the case. Looked liked the first few rows were reserved for family and friends. Favorites of the night--comatose totally rocked and loved hearing Why Go and Garden, even though my throat was a little sore by then and I had to squeak out the lyrics to sing along!
    " I am no man!"

Toledo 1996; Cleveland 1998; Columbus 2000; Cleveland 2003; Columbus 2003; Toledo 2004; Detroit 2006; Pittsburgh 2006; Columbus 2010; Cleveland 2010; Toronto 2011