*** Detroit Fanviews 5/22 Here ***

Comments

• DetPJFan wrote:
    Awesome set!! The coolest thing was when they played kick out the jams (especially for Detroit). The guys didn't quite know it, so while Eddie was covering, you could see the guys in the back corner of the stage working on the song for a couple of minutes. Very cool! They did a great job on this classic song. I am exhasted! Pearl Jam really kicked ass tonight. Oh yeah, Mike almost wiped out, it looked like like a mirror or lamenated set list or something was on the front of the stage.

Last edited by DetPJFan : 05-22-2006 at 08:43 PM.

Classic moment on the Mike slippage....It was a mirror that he almost wiped out on. We saw everything as we were directly side stage. GREAT TIX!! Well, now I actually have my own "drinketh the red wine" moment...I'm sitting in my seat section 103 seat one, and all of a sudden McCready tears up our aisle RIGHT PAST ME! (And a whole lot of other people) it was a really cool moment. All the way up to the top of the aisle and back down, 3 security guys in tow. It was cool, except for all of the fans to my left leaping over my friend and I to try and touch? him or something. I am still tired from the show. It was great. I went to Cleveland and this one, and by far the Detroit show was longer...and just a bit better in my opinion, although I would never classify and Pearl Jam show as not good.
    Take Care All!
  • PearlJamManPearlJamMan Posts: 10
    WOW! I cant believe no one made mention to Mike McCready running up to nearly the UPPERDECK during Alive...he ran all the way up the aisle with some sercurity guards just wailing, got to the top went through the opening and then came running all the way back down the steps still with guitar in hand just ripping it!! That was like the highlight of the night for me yet very few people for some reason actually saw this or just totally missed it...GREAT! VERY COOL!!
  • doubledee wrote:
    I was in the sixth row as well! seat 10. This is my 7th PJ show and I too thought the crowd was a little tame in the beginning. I guess I was thinking I would be surrounded by other 10C members who would be rockin out like me, but that wasn't the case. Looked liked the first few rows were reserved for family and friends. Favorites of the night--comatose totally rocked and loved hearing Why Go and Garden, even though my throat was a little sore by then and I had to squeak out the lyrics to sing along!
    I'm with you. I was in row 10 just rockin my socks off. But it took alot of people a while to get warmed up. Comatose owned both last night and in Cleveland.

GO PISTONS!!!!!
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Saw them in Cleveland and this show was longer. The second encore was just smokin', and I'm so amazed at how the 2 shows were so different, absolutely incredible. PJ is by far the best live band I've seen. Can't wait till Cincy.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • igotid_8igotid_8 Posts: 501
    I was at both Cleveland and Auburn Hills - 37 different tunes, I believe, in all.

Awesome.

LOVED the megaphone on the one verse of Comatose ("I'll break the law ..." part). In Detroit, Ed smashed it on the ground when he was done with it.

McCready running into the crowd during Alive in Detroit - and playing ALL of Yellow Ledbetter behind his back in Cleveland - He is on fire this tour!

What is really odd - the songs NOT played ..
    Cleveland - Even Flow, Corduroy, Small Town, Animal
    Detroit - Betterman, Daughter, Go

Those songs are usually sure to be heard just about every night - a sign they are really working hard on these setlists to really, really mix it up.

Reason #178 they are the baddest rock and roll band on the planet right now.

PS I heard every new song they have played live so far - 11 of the 13 on the album - and they all sound terrific.
    2000 Columbus, Pittsburgh
    2003 Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Columbus
    2004 Toledo
    2005 Hamilton, Pittsburgh
    2006 Cleveland, Auburn Hills, Pittsburgh
    2009 Chicago
    2010 Cleveland
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Detroit
    2016 Tampa, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2018 Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2022 Hamilton
    2023 Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Austin 1, Austin 2
    2024 Las Vegas 1, Las Vegas 2
  • JoWesleyJoWesley Posts: 109
    I was at GR on Friday and after that concert decided I had to Ebay some tickets for Detroit. I am a stay at home mom and my PJ experiences are usually one per tour, so this was a big thing for me. I have seen them on every tour and I will usually travel if they aren't coming near here. I was exhausted after the show last night and my poor children are wondering what happened to their mom today. I was able to get some pretty ok tickets and was thrilled to sit next to a very very cool girl who actually understood my PJ obsession. (Hello to you, I know you lurk and thanks for saving my bracelet!!) I drag my husband along and while he enjoys the shows, doesn't quite get the whole thing. It was just very cool to talk to someone who a.) is a girl like me, and b.) just understands. So thanks...it made my night.

Oh the music! It was awesome...it was so different from GR. I felt that it flowed nicer than GR. GR was a fantastic show too..but for different reasons. One of my favorite parts was Mike running right past us...also the beginning to Life Wasted...oh it was so good. They played Porch! My favorite live song. My very first Pearl Jam show was in 2004 when they played in Toronto with Neil Young. I was a big fan at the time and my husband (then just boyfriend) flew me from Indy to Detroit the day of the show and drove me to Toronto as a complete surprise. We got stuck for over 2 hours in Detroit traffic and when we got there, PJ played Porch and Baby O'Reiley and walked off. It was so awesome to just see them play and I was 17 and those 2 songs were the best concert of my life. So Porch was awesome to hear last night.

I feel the need to go again this tour. If anyone has an extra 10C ticket for Las Vegas, Cinnci, Milwaukee, just let me know. :D
    Aug 93 - Toronto Mar 94 - Ann Arbor
    Sep 96 - Toledo Aug 98 - East Lansing
    Oct 00 - Detroit Apr 03 - Cleveland
    Jun 03 - Detroit May 06 - Grand Rapids & Detroit
    Jul 07 - Lolla Jun 08 - WPB & Tampa
    Vedder: DC 1&2, Chicago 2
  • grace6697grace6697 Posts: 1,191
    doubledee wrote:
    I was in the sixth row as well! seat 10. This is my 7th PJ show and I too thought the crowd was a little tame in the beginning. I guess I was thinking I would be surrounded by other 10C members who would be rockin out like me, but that wasn't the case. Looked liked the first few rows were reserved for family and friends. Favorites of the night--comatose totally rocked and loved hearing Why Go and Garden, even though my throat was a little sore by then and I had to squeak out the lyrics to sing along!

i just checked my ticket. i was 7th row, 16th seat- right in the aisle. i was the insane girl with the blonde hair, black pants, and limited edition hoodie. i freaked the fuck out when he said in hiding and the security asked me if i would need a medic.

i didn't. :)
    take your money and your drugs.
  • DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 734
    WOW! I cant believe no one made mention to Mike McCready running up to nearly the UPPERDECK during Alive...he ran all the way up the aisle with some sercurity guards just wailing, got to the top went through the opening and then came running all the way back down the steps still with guitar in hand just ripping it!! That was like the highlight of the night for me yet very few people for some reason actually saw this or just totally missed it...GREAT! VERY COOL!!

it seems that a lot of people, including myself, didn't catch this until he was coming back down the stairs...someone nearby me said he came out of the concourse and never ran up the stairs...you're saying he ran up and then down...i don't know how i missed that, but i caught him coming down the stairs...pretty fuckin cool if you ask me.

ds
    And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....
  • Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
    My Fan-view:

This was my second show of this tour, so much of this will be compared to Fri. Grand Rapids show. In Detroit the Energy was average untill the encores..The crowd really dug "Nothing man" "Elderly Woman" and "Indifference" so that was cool. The Encores tonight seemed to start the show.

The highlights:

1.)"Life Wasted" seemed better as MattCameron totally unloaded on the end-jam. This was particularly intense, more intense than GR and any boot I have heard so far..That was a plus.

2.)"Comatose" proved it is thier best live song currently. So much non-stop energy to that one.

3.)"Nothingman" "Man of the Hour" and "Elderly Woman" got the entire corwd singing. I think PJ gets how to slow things up a bit now and still keep the crowds energy up. The overall superior GRs show during it's first encore lasted a tad too long with the non-sing-along change of pace acoustic songs. (bad grammar I know)

4.)"Indifference" during the second encore. I was not initially thrilled to hear this song, I was still ready to rock, but the crowds energy and singing made me really remember how much I love this song. A pleasent surprise.

5.)"Animal" after "Severed Hand" instead of "Life Wasted" was a nice change of pace. "Life Wasted" totally blew me away later in the set. Again, MattCam tore it up.

6.)"Corduroy" as the first rocker, this is where it belongs. (I would add "Long Road" to this list but I got caught up in a piss break right before the encore..I soo could not hold it)

7.)"Love Boat Captain" was again, not a song I wanted to hear...But they converted me, I did not know LBC rocked that hard. Couple this with "Green Disease" from GR, and I'd say Riot Act presents itself quite well live.

8.)"In Hiding".

9.)Ed and Mike during "comatose"..Ed smashing his Mic.

10.)Jeff Ament the entire show, he seemed totaly into it all night, doing his spazz/dance stuff.

11.)Ed congratulating the Pistons, I think it is cool the guys are all big basketball fans.

12.)"Come Back" sounded better than on the boots so far, it did not sound clumsy at all..very Beautiful. "Inside Job" is also near perfect now compared to earlier in the tour.. The beginning is really coming together as you can hear all the nuances that make the album version so pretty.

The only let-down of the show was the "Army Reserve", "Insiginficance" "Garden" portion of the show which needed a change of pace to off-set the mid-tempo. Those are great songs individually though. But the main set is just a warm-up to the jaw-dropping encores anyhow. "Insignificance" seemed to be a bit off tonight. In Detroit 2000 I remember it being much better and more intense. The sound was clearer than the GR show (though maybe only because of the loud singing in GR), but not as loud, Mike needed to be turned up.... Eddie sounded great and it once again shows that PJ, unlike some other great bands, represent better live than on Album. Audioslave,Weezer...... yes I am looking at you.
  • Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
    Somehow I missed "Kick out the Jams"... Very Loud, very well done. Too bad it was 11:30 on a Monday, as many in the crowd left after Ed announced it was the last song so as to beat traffic. They def. play this one more often, maybe as a lead in to "Baba O'Riley"...
  • Last night's show was absolutely amazing. I was overly excited and had the chills when they hit the stage. The energy from the crowd was almost overwhelming. Pearl Jam has been my favorite band for the past fifteen plus years and I don't think that will EVER change. No other band even comes close to being as great as they are.

Anyways I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said.

The set list was amazing and they rock just as hard as they did on their first few tours many moons ago.

I really want to see them again this tour.
  • otto48313otto48313 Posts: 50
    10c put me in 1st row in front of mike..got some good pics and would be willing to share some...shoot me an email. did mike ever go that far into the stands before? who does he think he is, buddy guy?

otto
  • DarkStar wrote:
    it seems that a lot of people, including myself, didn't catch this until he was coming back down the stairs...someone nearby me said he came out of the concourse and never ran up the stairs...you're saying he ran up and then down...i don't know how i missed that, but i caught him coming down the stairs...pretty fuckin cool if you ask me.

ds

Yes, they undid the gate at the floor level between section 103 and 102. He came down the left side of the stage, across the floor to the stairs, and ran all the way up, out and back down to the side stage ramp and back up. The only reason I know this is because they made everyone get out of the aisle, and then I saw them open the gate. I just knew something great was about to happen! :)
    Later!
  • humanlitehumanlite Posts: 36
    wow...what an encore there!!! sounds like you guys rocked out for a while. i can only hope to hear in hiding and comatose. PJ kicks ass and I can't wait to hear them live. only a few more days!!!!!!!!!
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    Just a note, that wasn't the first time the band did Kick Out The Jams, they did it in Grand Rapids during the VFC tour.
    Save room for dessert!
  • I attended the show, I was in section 115, five rows up from the floor. Not the "best" seats but I was extremely happy with them!! It was my first time ever seeing Pearl Jam and I've been an avid fan for at least 10 years. So you can imagine my excitement in the months, days, hours, and minutes leading up to the show (and yes, I was counting)!!

I had an excellent time at the preshow party/CCFA fundraiser, and was surprised and pleased with how much we actually raised, and then further pleased to read Mike's Thank You messege on the site the next day. I've volunteered/donated to various charities since I was old enough to legally work in the USA, and the feeling of accomplishment you get from actually helping these causes means so much more when you hear first-hand how much they're appreciated.

Mike, Ed, and Jeff, all had amazing energy throughout the show, I especially enjoyed watching Mike, he was so fun. They played all the songs I was hoping to hear live (plus some!), my only regret is that they didn't play "Hard to Imagine" because I've wanted to hear that live since I first heard the song. But it was no big deal at all, considering the overall amazingness of the show. It's by far the best concert I've ever been to.

Oh yeah, and the "Dirty Frank" jokes on the shuttle to the venue were so damn funny. It may have seemed funnier because we were all so drunk, but it felt special to be on the "same page" as these people, brought together by our love of Pearl Jam. There was a general comradery that you don't find anywhere else.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,332
    Heatherj43 wrote:
    Just a note, that wasn't the first time the band did Kick Out The Jams, they did it in Grand Rapids during the VFC tour.

They also played it on the Latin America/South America tour a bunch. But that was with Mudhoney in Mexico at least.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • KricketKricket Posts: 707
    doubledee wrote:

Hey I was just a few seats down from yah....I don't think that the first few rows were reserved for family and friends though. I regonized most people from the other shows up there:)

Also the little girl who went onstage back in Sept in London ON..on the Cnd tour..she was up there with her mom totally rocking out! I thought it was great how Ed remembered her and all....lucky kid ;)
    Kricket wrote:
    Hey I was just a few seats down from yah....I don't think that the first few rows were reserved for family and friends though. I regonized most people from the other shows up there:)

Also the little girl who went onstage back in Sept in London ON..on the Cnd tour..she was up there with her mom totally rocking out! I thought it was great how Ed remembered her and all....lucky kid ;)
    Was that who Eddie was leaning down to and talking to and handing stuff to in front of him?
    Save room for dessert!
  • KricketKricket Posts: 707
    Heatherj43 wrote:
    Was that who Eddie was leaning down to and talking to and handing stuff to in front of him?

Yep she was just to his right, almost directly infront of him...I know htat he gave her the set list that was all I saw. He was pointing to her and waving and stuff to her through out the show. He remember her being on stage with them before and told her that between songs....pretty cool.
  • WiffleWiffle Posts: 3
    Monday was only my 2nd Pearl Jam concert, but it was the greatest live show I've ever been fortunate enough to attend. However, I am sad to admit, that 2 Pearl Jam concerts is 2 concerts too few. I do believe the guys owe me another 3 or 4 tours before they call it quits ;)

That being said, I do have one complaint: Myself and the folks I was with were sitting kinda far to the left (from Eddie's POV on stage) and a bit high up. I think as a result, we couldn't hear Mike's solos as well as we would have liked to.

I mean this as no insult to the rest of the band, but just as Christopher Walken could use a little more cowbell, we coulda used a little more Mike McCready.

However, I have to say: I was impressed that Eddie came out and performed off the bat before introducing the opening act. I thought it was a really awesome and respectful thing to do, both to the opening act and to the fans. I hope that PJ does that every show, and other acts take a cue from them and do the same.

The overall set list was awesome, and for the most part everything sounded great. Mad props to Mike for paying homage to Hendrix with the Star Spangled Banner at the end of Yellow Ledbetter.

Two final things:
    -I'm glad to see people still break shit in rock and roll. That megaphone and mic stand felt the wrath of the Vedder! Roooorgh!

-Anyone know what happened at the start of Nothingman? Me and my brother were wondering if it was a broken string or someone handed Stone the wrong guitar. I was just reminded of one of PJ's videos where they're interviewing Eddie and he says

"Well, if I was the problem, I certainly wasn't going to admit it... *insert shit eating grin here* Well, I mean the...okay, Stone was the problem...it...it was Stone *insert shit eating grin here again*
    A scratching voice all alone...

...a whisper through a megaphone
  • My boyfriend and I were also seated on the left from Eddie's POV and experienced the same problem, it made us sad, we <3 Mike.
  • WiffleWiffle Posts: 3
    My boyfriend and I were also seated on the left from Eddie's POV and experienced the same problem, it made us sad, we <3 Mike.

Well that lets me know a few things:

#1: I wasn't the only one with that impression, so I'm not crazy. Nor am I deaf

#2: I'm not deaf, which means I clearly haven't been attending enough PJ concerts.
    A scratching voice all alone...

...a whisper through a megaphone
  • nico10nico10 Posts: 21
    Detroit .......it was a great set! There were some really great moments that i'm sure others will fill everyone in on .....but i would have to say the best moment for me was meeting Mike!! We got to meet him and talk for quite a while before the show outside near the loading docks.

He's just like everyone in the past has described him......a very genuine polite all round normal human.

I waited 16 years for that moment.......and i was not dissapointed in the very least !!!!!

fuck yeah!!

allmyrivals
    I was there to! Mike was soo nice I couldn't believe that there wasn't that many people there! Oh well..The show fuckin rocked!
  • Wiffle wrote:
    Well that lets me know a few things:

#1: I wasn't the only one with that impression, so I'm not crazy. Nor am I deaf

#2: I'm not deaf, which means I clearly haven't been attending enough PJ concerts.

Haha, agreed. I was deaf for a good while afterward, but it wore off.
    Haha, agreed. I was deaf for a good while afterward, but it wore off.
    LOL! Everyone I was with woke up without a voice. LOL! At least one of them still has a hoarse voice today.
    Save room for dessert!
  • Can't wait for Cincy. Our sec. 115 had some awesome people in it. Made the show that much better.
    7-31-1992; 3-19-1994; 3-20-1994; 9-22-1996; 8-23-1998; 10-07-2000; 06-25-2003;
    05-22-2006; 5-09-2010; 6-26-11 (EV), 9-11-2011
  • Can't wait for Cincy. Our sec. 115 had some awesome people in it. Made the show that much better.
    I was in 115!! Seats 9 and 10, myself and my boyfriend. Where were you?

And I definitely had a sore throat the next day, it was awesome.
  • Sec 115, row D, seats 1 and 2.
  • I'm surprised noone mentioned that the house lights came on half way through the last encore. For those that don't know, the Palace has a curfew of 11pm in most cases. They fine bands that go over. Not sure if this applied to the show, but when the lights came on, I think it was the Palace's way to asking for everyone to go home. The best part, the band could have cared less and played at least 3-4 more songs with the house lights on.