Options

*** St. Paul I Fanviews 6/26 Here ***

Comments

• Options
    jamestr1jamestr1 Posts: 185
    my wife and I just returned from St Paul. We got to town on Sunday and left this morning. We were staying at the Holiday Inn River Centre. We hung around the area on Sunday night and Monday. We went to the CCFA Pre-Party on Monday. It was awesome, great job setting it up.

We picked up our tickets just after noon. At the back of a long line and then there was no one behind us. My 10C # is 218XXX and my seats were section 102 (Stone's side), row 16, seats 1 and 2. I was a little disappointed but better to be side stage then the rear of the floor. We actually could see very well and I took a bunch of pictures and a couple of videos of the show. I'll get them posted later and share them.

The setlist was awesome. Pearl Jam rocked the place. I loved the mix of new and old songs. It was great to hear Daughter with a Tom Petty tag. I love Comatose and hearing it was great. We all sang wonderfully on Betterman. It was great to hear Eddie saying thanks to Warren Buffett. The solos were awesome.

Pearl Jam played a great set. Too short but great. I wish Stone would have played to our side a little more, I didn't get many pictures of him.

We stayed through the hour it took to change the stage for Petty. Then stayed for part of Petty's set. I wasn't really enjoying the show and neither was my wife, so we left. We have two more chances to see Petty this week.

We were both disappointed with the staff at the Excel. We found some real inconsistencies with the beer vendors and their need for ID. My wife had forgotten hers so we had to go to two different vendors and the second one didn't even ID me.

Then during Petty's set we notice the huge number of people who were smoking in their seats. Cigarettes, not pot. And it was really bugging both of us. The ushers and security didn't seem to do much about the smoking. If a place is going to have a no smoking policy they should enforce it better.

I'd like to thank all the fans who returned to the Holiday Inn and screamed in the halls at 1:00 am and 3:00 am.

The show was great. Pearl Jam was awesome. I'm not impressed with St Paul and the Excel Center. Glad I didn't stay for night II.
  • Options
    DP13DP13 Posts: 269
    jamestr wrote:
    my wife and I just returned from St Paul. We got to town on Sunday and left this morning. We were staying at the Holiday Inn River Centre. We hung around the area on Sunday night and Monday. We went to the CCFA Pre-Party on Monday. It was awesome, great job setting it up.

We picked up our tickets just after noon. At the back of a long line and then there was no one behind us. My 10C # is 218XXX and my seats were section 102 (Stone's side), row 16, seats 1 and 2. I was a little disappointed but better to be side stage then the rear of the floor. We actually could see very well and I took a bunch of pictures and a couple of videos of the show. I'll get them posted later and share them.

The setlist was awesome. Pearl Jam rocked the place. I loved the mix of new and old songs. It was great to hear Daughter with a Tom Petty tag. I love Comatose and hearing it was great. We all sang wonderfully on Betterman. It was great to hear Eddie saying thanks to Warren Buffett. The Evenflow solos were awesome.

Pearl Jam played a great set. Too short but great. I wish Stone would have played to our side a little more, I didn't get many pictures of him.

We stayed through the hour it took to change the stage for Petty. Then stayed for part of Petty's set. I wasn't really enjoying the show and neither was my wife, so we left. We have two more chances to see Petty this week.

We were both disappointed with the staff at the Excel. We found some real inconsistencies with the beer vendors and their need for ID. My wife had forgotten hers so we had to go to two different vendors and the second one didn't even ID me.

Then during Petty's set we notice the huge number of people who were smoking in their seats. Cigarettes, not pot. And it was really bugging both of us. The ushers and security didn't seem to do much about the smoking. If a place is going to have a no smoking policy they should enforce it better.

I'd like to thank all the fans who returned to the Holiday Inn and screamed in the halls at 1:00 am and 3:00 am.

The show was great. Pearl Jam was awesome. I'm not impressed with St Paul and the Excel Center. Glad I didn't stay for night II.

it is a rock concert, not an opera!
  • Options
    fatguysfatguys Posts: 2
    During the jam the band went into near the end of "Alive", the crowd started chanting "yeah! Yeah! Yeah" or "Hey!, Hey!, Hey! (not sure which)
    Did anyone else notice Ed's face when he turned around? My gf and I were rolling because he was so clearly wasted and taken aback by the crowd doing this. Thought it was pretty cool. Is that common to happen during Alive, or was it new? Ed seemed like he had never seen it before, but got into it.

I haven't seen PJ in about 15 years...I've been missing out...CANNOT WAIT for the next St. Paul show!
  • Options
    RITFWinCORITFWinCO Posts: 217
    I saw Petty last summer at Red Rocks with the Black Crowes. Decent hits show. Not in same league as PJ though. Don't get me wrong--good band but they're no PJ.

So I was dubious of the pairing for St. Paul and Denver when it was annouced. I bought my Denver tix anyway-naturally.

Based on the pages of reviews--sounds like this is a bust. Co-headling with Audioslave--very interesting. Could be some crazy energy. With the Foo Fighthers? Ok that might be interesting too although somewhat different styles. With Petty? Nah. Way different energy level.

Take the mismatch of styles and I could live with it if I didn't read about the 80 min PJ set versus 110 min Petty set. How is that Co-Headlining. Shrink Petty 15 minutes and give it to PJ. That's at least three more songs and when you only get to see them every three years, that means a lot.

Glad to hear it was an intense set but the 1) disproportinate short set 2) long set change and 3) tamer Petty vibe is a bummer.

i hope tomorrow nights set is longer or better yet (crosses fingers) the second set. (yes I know that won't really happen.)
  • Options
    Dreamfire2Dreamfire2 Posts: 161
    The original ticket announcements for these shows said Pearl Jam would be playing a full set. That is BS they are playing opening act. I wouldn't have shelled out $100/ticket for Milwaukee if I had known it was gonna be for 17 friggin songs. I'm sure plenty of others would have and they are welcome to their choice. However those who wouldn't have are stuck with them.
  • Options
    JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    fatguys wrote:
    During the jam the band went into near the end of "Alive", the crowd started chanting "yeah! Yeah! Yeah" or "Hey!, Hey!, Hey! (not sure which)
    Did anyone else notice Ed's face when he turned around? My gf and I were rolling because he was so clearly wasted and taken aback by the crowd doing this. Thought it was pretty cool. Is that common to happen during Alive, or was it new? Ed seemed like he had never seen it before, but got into it.

I haven't seen PJ in about 15 years...I've been missing out...CANNOT WAIT for the next St. Paul show!

You can read all about the Alive fist pump right here :)

Scroll down just a tad

http://www.twofeetthick.com/home.do;jsessionid=F5EB179580BA4C8E148971840A60011C
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • Options
    a8l wrote:
    it is a rock concert, not an opera!

I was fully aware of where I was and what I was witnessing. The show was awesome. Pearl Jam kicked ass! I definitely didn't confuse it with an opera.
  • Options
    Pearl Jam was fucking awesome!!! Fucking great!! When they came on and started I was laughing and crying and screaming I was out of control...It was so surreal and amazing! Im sure the old lady sitting next to me (sitting) waiting for Tom Petty thought I had lost it! When they were done I just wanted more and more!!
    Tom was good but I really just wanted MORE PJ!!!Fucking great.
    And the cool kids behind us-from South Dakota (or canada!!) you all rocked and made the experience even bettter!!!!
    Thanks PJ for coming to this shitty town and making me fucking rock out of my routine life!! I will never be the same!! Funny just a band and I was just one of thousands...but I felt every word Eddie sang right into me.
    "Got all these questions
    Dont know who I can even ask"
  • Options
    I personally had a great time. My cousin is more of a Petty fan and I more PJ (obviously). We both had a great time. We went to the pre-party on monday which was a good time, met a few people and ended up tailgating with them later on. The show was great - even tho i'm used to 3 hour PJ shows, I was not disappointed in the least. I thought Petty played great, I thought the whole night was something special.

Matt
  • Options
    tonyfrotonyfro Posts: 4
    jamestr wrote:
    I'm not impressed with St Paul and the Excel Center. Glad I didn't stay for night II.

Huh? I understand not being impressed with Saint Paul, even from my hometown boy point of view. The Xcel Energy Center on the other hand, I don't get that. That is a beautiful place, and it works well for everything, hockey, concerts, etc.

Oh, and night two was a huge improvement, IMHO.

TF
    8 times
  • Options
    tonyfro wrote:
    Huh? I understand not being impressed with Saint Paul, even from my hometown boy point of view. The Xcel Energy Center on the other hand, I don't get that. That is a beautiful place, and it works well for everything, hockey, concerts, etc.

Oh, and night two was a huge improvement, IMHO.

TF

The Xcel was a sweet place. There didn't appear to be a bad seat in the house, especially for hockey. I was unimpressed with the people working there. From the beer vendors, to the ushers, to the security staff, to the people at guest services, to the two 20-something Petty fans in front of us making out and singing to each other all during Petty's set.

Glad to hear night two was better.
  • Options
    fatguysfatguys Posts: 2
    JD Sal- Thanks for the info on the Alive chant. My own d@mn fault for not seeing them for sooooo long.
  • Options
    faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    Great show.
    Great time.
    Everyone at the venue were awsome......except the slow ass working the bar at the top of our section.
    All the fans were great.
    Was in row 11, Stones side.
    No complaints.
    Thanks to McGoverns and everyone there before and after the show for a good time. Our waitress needs a raise.

Bring on Vegas!
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • Options
    DJS43DJS43 Posts: 1
    Not much of a Pearl Jam fan going into the show. They were so over-exposed in the early 90's, I just resisted. Anyway, they were totally amazing. Great set, great energy to live show. My favorite bands play much smaller places than the arena in St. Paul. Usually, I would probably only pay to see Petty or Springsteen in that large a venue. Add Pearl Jam to that list.
  • Options
    YieldInHidingYieldInHiding Posts: 1,840
    DJS43 wrote:
    Not much of a Pearl Jam fan going into the show. They were so over-exposed in the early 90's, I just resisted. Anyway, they were totally amazing. Great set, great energy to live show. My favorite bands play much smaller places than the arena in St. Paul. Usually, I would probably only pay to see Petty or Springsteen in that large a venue. Add Pearl Jam to that list.

Welcome to the board! I'm glad the show was good enough to coax you into posting about it here. Looks like we have another PJ convert on our hands. :)
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    tonyfrotonyfro Posts: 4
    jamestr wrote:
    I was unimpressed with the people working there. From the beer vendors, to the ushers, to the security staff, to the people at guest services, to the two 20-something Petty fans in front of us making out and singing to each other all during Petty's set.
    Aha, that I can understand. There are a few good ushers (Tim being the best in C9 during the hockey season) but most of them are fairly worthless. There's also one excellent bartender (Suzin) who I did not see on night 1 and I didn't make it upstairs night 2.
    8 times
  • Options
    Present Tense WAS NOT played.

and for the ? you have for the second to last song of Petty's set...just call it "Crappy Chanting and Mumbling"
    I couldn't agree more.....
    Rapid City 98
  • Options
    SwiftySwifty Posts: 21
    I like a lot of Petty's music but i couldnt help but complain and bitch the whole time he was on and after....

and yes mystic eyes was about as long as the song was...too long

Come back was excellent!!! No such thing as a piss break in a PJ concert
    Life wasted rocked my world....
    Glorified G...no words to explain how sweet that was
    not for you really rocked too
    every song was sweet

Night 2 was way better than night one.

Did anyone else see eddie walk to the side of the stage and smash the guitar?
    wrong one? out of tune? he seemed pissed as hell...he even said something about it not working and him being paranoid, anyone know what was going on?

i was 36 row of the floor on mikes side, not too many die hards around me...me and my buddies were going crazy though
  • Options
    YieldInHidingYieldInHiding Posts: 1,840
    Swifty wrote:
    Did anyone else see eddie walk to the side of the stage and smash the guitar?
    wrong one? out of tune? he seemed pissed as hell...he even said something about it not working and him being paranoid, anyone know what was going on?

He threw a mic stand after Mike had all those guitar problems.
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    LuvPJmomLuvPJmom Posts: 33
    Hey, it's the Nelson's long lost sister here...... hahahahaha!!! I was told that I was posted online here with the infamous NELSON T SHIRT guy!!!! That is an awful pic of me..still, very funny...
    So....did ya have great seats for both shows?? We ended up 15th row for the 2nd show, instead of the 20th row like the night before.. regardless, GREAT TIME!!!
    thanks for posting the pic~
    Next show- Vegas and San Diego..

• Options
    My take: I paid nearly twice as much for a ticket for half a show.

Sure PJ's set was short, and filled with some of their more well-known hits - but everything was played at such a white-hot, blistering intensity it was hard not to be blown away.

The only highlights of the Petty set was the Fleetwood Mac cover and Ed singing off his crib sheet on American Girl.

I realize I shouldn't complain - but I'm pissed that the shows in my town were cut short. I don't have the luxury of traveling to other shows.

I completely agree. I just wish we had one show just with PJ. With reasonably priced tickets and with a full 30+ show. It would have made a huge difference.
  • Options
    While I agree with everyone who thought that the band rocked exceptionally hard Monday night, I really wish it hadn't been a "double billing" show. Here's why:

-One band, no matter what, and unfortunately in this case Pearl Jam, THE BEST BAND ON THE PLANET, has to play first. I like Tom Petty. But for me, nothing can be a great show after I've already seen the best.

-Seeing Pearl Jam in a room filled with people there only to see Pearl Jam can really be a spiritual experience. That aura of, "we're ALL here to make something special happen... It just can't completely be there if many of the people aren't there to share that. The band has said many times that they feed off the passion of the crowd and that many times drives the direction the show is going to take. It is just impossible to create a purely PJ intense environment with that many people not into it.

-And one more thing- Bullshit on the whole, "Full sets by both bands," thing. That just didn't happen.

I love Pearl Jam and consider myself extremely fortunate evey time I get to see them. But since I have a family now, and therefore responsibilities that keep me from traveling to see other shows, I wish that they would've played one show here by themselves, or at least as the only headliner. I look forward to seeing them when they come back to the cities. Every single time.
  • Options
    RhynoRhyno Posts: 304
    I just got done posting some of the images I took at the show...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19748323@N00/tags/pearljamstpauljune262006/

Great shows both nights. Wish I could be doing it all over again tonight and can't wait to see them in San Diego.
    Cheers!
    Rhyno

11/30/1991 ~ 3/25/92 ~ 8/28/92 ~ 6/30/98 ~ 10/8/2000 ~ 6/18/2003 ~ 6/21/2003 ~ 6/26/2006 ~ 6/27/2006 ~ 7/7/2006 ~ 8/5/2007 ~ 6/24/2008 ~ ALPINE VALLEY in '09 ;-)
  • Options
    krobbinzkrobbinz Posts: 187
    Great Pre-party thanks for the oppertunity!

As a side note...we, night 1 participants, had set a beer sales record for ALL events held at Excel! Way to give er your all!

the 90 minute set was excellent and well worth the 180 dollars, I certianly would do it again if an oppertunity presented itself,and I am really looking forward to the bootlegs.

I did stay for the rest of the Petty set right up until the lights came on but I really couldnt get into it as much. Petty had an excellent set and I knew all of the tunes he sang, but I likened the night to doing 70 down the highway and then all of a sudden you hit a town and you have to slow down to 45. Sure your still moving pretty good but its not the same rush that you had when you were making good time. Had I bought a ticket to see Petty that show would have been awesome, but the fact that PJ opened it was all down hill from there.
    But all in all I do not regret a thing and I was glad to be there, its something that I can brag about for a long long time to come!

Thanks to all of the fellow PJ fans for being so cool in the upper 117 section you guys were great, and to the dudes that were in 116 that lit up a dube, thanks..got a great contact, eventhough I dont toke myself.

Thanks for everything!
    East Troy 10/08/00 St. Paul 06/16/03 Chicago 5/17/06 St. Paul 6/26/06 St. Paul 6/27/06 Lollapalooza '07 Bonnaroo '08
    Chicago 8/23/09 Chicago 8/24/09 PJ 20 9/3/11 PJ 20 9/4/11 Milwaukee 10/20/14 Chicago 8/20/16 Chicago 8/22/16 Chicago 8/18/18 Chicago 8/20/18
  • Options
    RhynoRhyno Posts: 304
    Cheers!
    Rhyno

11/30/1991 ~ 3/25/92 ~ 8/28/92 ~ 6/30/98 ~ 10/8/2000 ~ 6/18/2003 ~ 6/21/2003 ~ 6/26/2006 ~ 6/27/2006 ~ 7/7/2006 ~ 8/5/2007 ~ 6/24/2008 ~ ALPINE VALLEY in '09 ;-)
  • Options
    vmfuryvmfury Posts: 1,079
    Night 1 for me was WAY better than night 2 as far as the people I was sitting near. They had tons of energy and were having the greatest time. It was my first TP show and I was blown away by his stage presence. PJ was on fire. It was great watching Eddie jump around and swing the mic. GOOD times! I'm a little sad it's over as I just returned home tonight from MN, but I'm DEFINITELY looking forward to the next couple of weeks. I'd much rather just see PJ as opposed to them playing with another headlining band.
    Shut the fuck up, stupid.
    ~ Ice Queen
  • Options
    Rhyno wrote:
    Nice pics...

Your pictures are very good, also. I think we must have been in the same section, almost the same row. I would have had more pics but that damn light was always shining right in the middle of my picture.
  • Options
    leadbedr10leadbedr10 Posts: 409
    Pretty much the same as everyone else.
    PJ rocked the house.
    I fell asleep during the stage change over. I guess TP was just gettin off the plane when PJ took the stage.
    Didnt stay for eddie to come back out. I left on the song before. Figures.
    Petty was good, i wouldnt say great. I gettnig alittle annoyed at the Jesus on the cross poses from him after EVERY song. WTF? Does he need to hear the crowd chear from 5 minutes between each song? Just play some music.

Highlight of the show for me?

Finally got a pic from mike!!!!!!

I would also say nite 2 was better. Much more energy in the crowd.
    I had 5th row for 1 and 7th row for 2.

PS. They are showing WWS from storytellers right now!!!!!!!!!