Options

*** St. Paul I Fanviews 6/26 Here ***

edwhoedwho Posts: 811
edited July 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
~

Pearl Jam Set List: Last Exit, Life Wasted, Why Go, World Wide Suicide, Do The Evolution, Given To Fly, I Am Mine, Army Reserve, Even Flow, Better Man, Sad, Sleight Of Hand, Daughter / (I Won't Back Down), Jeremy, Comatose, Alive, Rockin' In The Free World

Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers Set List: Listen To Her Heart, You Don't Know How It Feels, I Won't Back Down, Free Fallin', Saving Grace, I'm A Man, Oh Well, Handle With Care, Mary Jane’s Last Dance, You Got Lucky, Cabin Down Below, Melinda, Learning To Fly, Don't Come Around Here No More, Refugee, Running Down A Dream

1st Encore: You Wreck Me, Mystic Eyes, American Girl (with Ed)

Welcome Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers fans. Register and tell us what you thought of the concert.

This thread is reserved for the lucky fans that were there.

Please post your Fanview if you were in attendance.

Early Pearl Jam set list from Message Pits “Ayedavanita” and “ACCBootlegGoddess”

Early Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers set list from theskyiscrape.com

~

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    ~

What’s a Fanview?

A FanView is an exclusive Message Pit thread for fans that attend a concert and want to share their experience with fans that could not.

Does a FanView need to be certain length?

No, your FanView can be one word “AWESOME,” a few lines or a short story.

What if I’m not a great speller or the best at grammar?

Don’t worry about this, do the best you can.

I have a couple incredibly interesting comments on the show -- but I wasn’t there -- should I go ahead and post them here anyway?

No, this thread is reserved for the lucky fans that attend the concert.

I need to ask a question about the concert -- but I wasn’t there -- Should I ask it here?

No, I’m trying for pure Fanviews from the fans who were there.

Are you a Ten Club member? Consider posting your member number and seat location with your Fanview.

A FanView can include but is not limited to such things as your description of Pearl Jams set, Tom Petty's set, what it took or how you got to the show, how was the pre-party, what did you do after the show, how did you feel?

THANK YOU to everyone that has contributed to the Fanview threads. Your views continue to be a true pleasure to read.

edwho

~

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• Options
    chrischobchrischob Posts: 6
    Just got back from the show. Drove in from Winnipeg so I was a bit tired and left Tom Petty a bit early.

Anyway, i really enjoyed the show. The band was of course awesome. I an disappointed though that they skipped some of their newer stuff like servered hand and marker in the sand. I really wish they played longer. The Winnipeg show last year was way better.

Still, i wasnt disapointed and i am looking forward to tommorow's show.

I did get 10C tix and was row 28 on the floor. People who bought regular tickets were in front of us.

PS
    Tom Petty played a new song about 4 songs in, something about looking for grace.

Chris
  • Options
    chrischob wrote:
    PS
    Tom Petty played a new song about 4 songs in, something about looking for grace.

Chris

fyi, the song is 'Saving Grace', and it will be on Petty's new album "Highway Companion". Kind of a ZZTop 'LaGrange' feel to it. I like it.
  • Options
    Present Tense WAS NOT played.

and for the ? you have for the second to last song of Petty's set...just call it "Crappy Chanting and Mumbling"
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Options
    MasterFramerMasterFramer Posts: 2,268

and for the ? you have for the second to last song of Petty's set...just call it "Crappy Chanting and Mumbling"

LOL!
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    RhynoRhyno Posts: 304
    Just got home. The show was amazing, but I have to say that I would have been happier without Petty. I do like Tom Petty, however, I think Pearl Jam deserved more time and would have liked to have seen an encore from all of PJ...not just Eddie and Petty.

Don't take this as negative. It was an amazing show. I loved PJ's set (as I always do, cause they could never put together a bad mix of songs!) Pearl Jam gave off awesome energy.

I'll be back tomorrow and can't wait! I also can't wait to see them in San Diego. I think PJ gets better with each tour (I've been seeing them live since early '92 when I was a wee teenager!)
    Cheers!
    Rhyno

11/30/1991 ~ 3/25/92 ~ 8/28/92 ~ 6/30/98 ~ 10/8/2000 ~ 6/18/2003 ~ 6/21/2003 ~ 6/26/2006 ~ 6/27/2006 ~ 7/7/2006 ~ 8/5/2007 ~ 6/24/2008 ~ ALPINE VALLEY in '09 ;-)
  • Options
    Also, have to say the encore of American Girl when Eddie came was well worth the wait. I just love to watch Eddie...you can tell he is having fun and just loving every second.
    Cheers!
    Rhyno

11/30/1991 ~ 3/25/92 ~ 8/28/92 ~ 6/30/98 ~ 10/8/2000 ~ 6/18/2003 ~ 6/21/2003 ~ 6/26/2006 ~ 6/27/2006 ~ 7/7/2006 ~ 8/5/2007 ~ 6/24/2008 ~ ALPINE VALLEY in '09 ;-)
  • Options
    Present Tense WAS NOT played.

Ok thats weird...I didn't put that in my thread. Dunno how that got in this one.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    Rhyno wrote:
    Also, have to say the encore of American Girl when Eddie came was well worth the wait. I just love to watch Eddie...you can tell he is having fun and just loving every second.
    Ed saved the end of the show. It was brilliant.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Options
    Ed saved the end of the show. It was brilliant.

Totally agree and totally glad I stayed! :-)
    Cheers!
    Rhyno

• Options
    Were there more PJ fans or Petty fans? How was the crowd for both bands?
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    Also, I took about 200 pictures. I'll post the good ones on my site later this week. I'll be taking more tomorrow.
    Cheers!
    Rhyno

• Options
    Were there more PJ fans or Petty fans? How was the crowd for both bands?
    seemed pretty even...more PJ where i was on the floor (3rd row)

crowd was insanely loud for Petty...probably because it was a set full of singalongs and number 1 hits.

PJ rocked way more though.

• Options
    seemed pretty even...more PJ where i was on the floor (3rd row)

crowd was insanely loud for Petty...probably because it was a set full of singalongs and number 1 hits.

PJ rocked way more though.

did the PJ fans leave when PJ got off stage?
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    IshmaelIshmael Posts: 12
    Just got home. Great set by Pearl Jam... they seemed genuinely excited to be playing with Petty. During Petty's set, there were LOTS of people sitting down in my section (front/side). Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers seemed a lot louder than Pearl Jam, maybe b/c I wasn't singing along to everything.

Can't wait for tomorrow.
  • Options
    solat9solat9 Posts: 20
    Just got back, fucking awesome.

The drum solo during Evenflow was incredible. Mike also played the first part of the solo behind his head.

Last Exit caught me off guard as the opener, but it was fucking awesome.

Army Reserve sounds amazing live, easily the best of the new songs.

The entire crowd sang the first verse and chorus to Betterman. It was a great moment.

Even the Petty fans who were sitting down behind me (fuckers) were going nuts by the end of PJ's set.

I don't really know a lot of Petty's music, but he knows how to work a crowd and put on a great show.

And Eddie was so incredibly wasted by the time he came out for American Girl. He was doing some real whacky dances.
  • Options
    did the PJ fans leave when PJ got off stage?
    not tonight. tomorrow might be a different story though.

• Options
    VedbetterVedbetter Posts: 10
    hey, just got home
    we had a great time. It was kinda an average setlist but the show was great. Ed gave a toast to Warren Buffet(sp?) who recently donated $37 billion to charity. The crowd sang the beginning of betterman(of course). After the I won't back down tag, it sounded like they were about to play the It's Okay tag. I think one of the guys, maybe jeff, might have screwed it up and they decided to scrap it. maybe i'm just crazy though. ed dedicated army reserve to...well...the army reserves. sleight of hand was a nice treat. why go was also great to hear. mike did the even flow solo behind his head and matt did a drum solo. never heard matt solo before. ended with ritfw. i can never get sick of that. i took a non-pj fan with me and he was amazed at how tight pj sounds live. we both really enjoyed it.

it was my first petty show. i'm not super familiar with his stuff, but it was good to hear all the radio hits. towards the end of the show i was kinda disappointed they hadnt played american girl. then tom calls out ed and i almost pissed myself when they played it. ed sounded great.

fun night. can't wait for tomorrow!
  • Options
    Remember the quote about being Petty's son..."Eddie Petty"...that was classic.
    Cheers!
    Rhyno

• Options
    just got back..it seems most everybody was around for both shows...very respectful for both bands. pj won the "contest". not by too much, though...
    60-40 i'd say. pj's set was not long enough...
    can't wait for tomorrow!
    Summerfest 1995
    Charlotte 1996
    Alpine Valley 1998
    San Francisco 2000
    Denver 2003
    St.Paul 2003
    St.Paul #1 2006
    St.Paul #2 2006
  • Options
    Mrs.McCMrs.McC Posts: 18
    Vedbetter wrote:
    After the I won't back down tag, it sounded like they were about to play the It's Okay tag. I think one of the guys, maybe jeff, might have screwed it up and they decided to scrap it. maybe i'm just crazy though.

fun night. can't wait for tomorrow!

I thought I heard It's Okay, too. Disappointed that they stopped. I also loved hearing Ed say that if TP were his dad, his name would be Eddie Petty, and how he'd get over it living in his nice house, etc.
  • Options
    DmaceDmace Posts: 9
    I was there and I have to say I'm a little bummed. I was lucky enough to be in town on business and got to attend the show. All I can say is that I'm glad I have tickets in LA when PJ headlines.

It's been sometime since PJ was the warm-up. They weren't given the benefit of the same lighting and video screens as the Heartbreakers. (As it turned out, Petty's folks seemed to be struggling with the video anyway and by the middle of the show, the screens were dark.) The audio at the start of the show was choppy but clearer as the show progressed.

The set was great; the band had lots of energy and clearly delighted in the fact that they were there, along with the others, to pay respects to Petty's long career. It may be my Pearl Jam bias, but I thought the place was stacked in Pearl Jam's favor. The chorus of voices during "Betterman" lifted the roof. Thousands of arms were raised in a "v".

Vedder paid tribute to Warren Buffet ("not Jimmy Buffet") and the billions he gave away this week. Ed Ved called it "sexy" when rich people give.

Eddie came out and did a rousing "American Girl", taking the lead vocal from Petty and then improving it. Vedder looked genuinely happy to share the stage.

It was great to see them again. It had been a long road since Santa Barbara. In two weeks, LA hosts and we'll get what we're accustomed to.
    A longer, soaring show.
    Arms raised in a V:
    1992 Irvine, 1998 Inglewood CA (both shows), 2000 Los Angeles, 2000 San Bernardino, 2002 Seattle, 2003 Irvine, 2003 Chicago, 2003 Santa Barbara, 2006 Saint Paul, 2006 Los Angeles (both shows). 2008 Los Angeles EV (solo)
  • Options
    holtzholtz Posts: 509
    not tonight. tomorrow might be a different story though.

I'm not sure if I can put up with Petty two nights in a row, he was rather boring tonight, seemed liked most of his songs were slowed down and then extended, which was not a good combo IMO. I saw him last summer and he played basically the same stuff and he had the exact same moves, do we really need to see him shake his ass at the crowd all night long?

PJ were awesome however, it was mainly a hits set but rocked alot harder than Petty's hits set. I really wish they were playing the Twin Cities on their own, people booed when they finished since the set was so short.
  • Options
    solat9solat9 Posts: 20
    One more thing...I could barely hear Mike's guitar from where I was. They need to crank that up.
  • Options
    Mrs.McCMrs.McC Posts: 18
    holtz wrote:
    I'm not sure if I can put up with Petty two nights in a row, he was rather boring tonight, seemed liked most of his songs were slowed down and then extended, which was not a good combo IMO. I saw him last summer and he played basically the same stuff and he had the exact same moves, do we really need to see him shake his ass at the crowd all night?

I agree. I got to Xcel early and one of the radio stations actually handed out Petty's setlist. It was taken from the Charlotte, NC show on 6/9, but it was nearly identical--how boring! I think he changed two songs, and skipped two. I hope he at least changes the order around for tomorrow.
  • Options
    VedbetterVedbetter Posts: 10
    i hope someone got a good recording of american girl

ed more than made up for the birdman incident imo
  • Options
    drollydrolly Posts: 41
    Worst PJ show I've ever been to. However, that's more due to the short setlist when we were told again and again it would be much more than actual setlist or concert goings on (which I've already ranted about in other threads so I'll leave it at that). The Eddie Petty comment was funny. Also thought it was HILARIOUS when Ed started talking about who they were playing with then pretended to "check" his guitar for a cheatsheet for the other band name. Don't know who all caught that but I was cracking up at Ed's humor on that one.

Don't know how anybody could say the PJ fanbase was louder. The crowd was 3X as loud for Petty, hands down. But, as somebody else already mentioned, it was also like listening to a greatest hits album when he was onstage. Except Petty threw in some Michael Jackson dances in every song, which got old for me oh, about the first time it happened. And then there were more in the next song. And the next. And the next. You get the picture.

Didn't like this concert at all though. I realize Petty is a legend, but it's embarassing as a fan for a band like PJ to play the opening band role and then hear the crowd louder for Petty than PJ. And watch people next to me side-stage 2nd row sit during Comatose.
    I always finish what I sta
  • Options
    I was of the impression that the crowd was definitely Pearl Jam leaning, 60-40, maybe even 70-30. There were more singalongs with Petty, but 90 percent of his set was radio hits, so that's to be expected. People seemed to be way more into PJ. The point someone made earlier, about booing after the lights came on after their set, points to that also. Anyway, to the show itself. Overall, I thought the guys were great tonight. It was my third show, and it seems that the band has gotten more and more intense with each show. Mike is such a great performer. It's nice to see him looking so healthy and happy, after dealing with the health issues and weight problems in recent years. It's great to see him fit and trim and all over the stage. It was nice to hear Sleight of Hand again, my favorite song off Binaural, which I've been fortunate enough to hear at two of the three shows I've been too. The new songs are great, of course. I'm hoping against hope to get Inside Job tomorrow night. Petty was OK, nothing that made you go wow. The definite highlight of the Petty set was Oh Well, which I had no idea was part of their repertoire. I've heard four different bands peform live versions of that song (Gov't Mule, Jimmy Page and the Black Crowes, Mike Gordon and Leo Kottke, and now Petty and the Heartbreakers) and I've yet to hear a version I didn't love. It was nice to be there tonight, as a casual fan, and be treated to a lot of good, familiar songs. Having said that, after reading what I have about Petty's setlists, I'm not looking forward to his set tomorrow. It's fun to hear Mary Jane's Last Dance, American Girl, Refugee, Learning to Fly, Free Fallin', etc, but I'm not excited to hear all the same songs again tomorrow. For a guy with a catalog of around 150 songs, you'd think he might mix it up some more, rather than playing 80 percent of the same set every night, with a few different songs mixed in. Of course people want to hear the hits. I want to hear the hits, but play half of them tonight, half of them tomorrow night, repeat a few songs if you need to, but give us some variety. Hopefully we'll at least get a few changes tomorrow night and there's always a chance of some type of collaboration.
    Fargo 2003
    Thunder Bay 2005
    St. Paul 2006 I
    St. Paul 2006 II
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Did tickets go smoothly?I heard the problems they had when they went on sale.Was your name on your envelope?