Options

*** U2 / Pearl Jam Hawaii Fanviews Here December 9, 2006 ***

Comments

• Options
    LukinTimer wrote:
    We were about 6-7 people back from the stage, in the inner circle, on Mike's side, during U2 and a little more centered during PJ.

We are both tall, around 6ft, I am wearing the turquoise Avocado shirt and have long dark hair. Lori was wearing the surfrider white/green PJ, is blond, but had on a green and white visor with a Hawaiian print on it. It's should make us easier to spot.

I see 2 people with visors in this shot. One's holding up a camera, and I think it's a white visor. http://static.flickr.com/132/322599534_1d22f46f34_o.jpg You really have to look at the huge pic to make out individuals.

So is that you?
    Baby humpback, baby humpback!
    Down the sewer, down the sewer!
  • Options
    I was there and I'm a fan of both bands.
    That was the best shit I've seen yet. Pearl Jam f'n rocked and really did convert a lot of people. hawaii '78 blew the minds of locals. U2 was great as well. Rocco and the Devils were a fun throw away opener, don't get fired up over it. Keep in mind it was a U2 concert. Of course I wanted PJ to play longer but they opened so it didn't bother me. I'm just grateful to see 2 of my 3 favorite bands play one show in paradise. If Rocco and the Devils were Radiohead I'd probably blow a load, have a heart attack and die. But I survived. For those U2 haters, thats how they do it, it was awesome get over it. U2 fans don't shit on PJ or other bands half as much as the people on this board do other bands. its kind of embarrassing.
    Also as a side note, how is it possible to have the u2 portion of the show and not PJ when PJ allows tapers and u2 doesnt? strange.
    Aloha, mahalo and all that shit.

PS. Congrats to all you people who met members of the band! Hang Ten bitches!
  • Options
    http://static.flickr.com/124/322635679_89a7aa4058_o.jpg

There's another one. I see a blond pony tail under a visor kinda obscured by a guy holding a red thing up. This is about my best crowd shot. I wasn't really trying to shoot the crowd much... :)

Aloha!

(oh, and so flickr doesn't boot me for linking directly to the images)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/revlimit/322635679/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/revlimit/322599534/
  • Options
    btw
    I did not hear any mention of uconndave
    Did anyone else?
    "You can bomb the world to pieces but you can't bomb into peace"
    Michael Franti
  • Options
    I see 2 people with visors in this shot. One's holding up a camera, and I think it's a white visor. http://static.flickr.com/132/322599534_1d22f46f34_o.jpg You really have to look at the huge pic to make out individuals.

So is that you?

THAT is funny

Do you really see a white visor in that shot?
    Michael Franti
  • Options
    Riomoto wrote:
    Awesome show!!!!! Met tons of wicked cool PJ fans and had the best time EVER.....not to mention **cough "front row" cough**.
    Ed singing Hawaii 78
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b138/riomoto/edHawaii78.jpg
    Front row sign courtesy of "Nacho Libre" (Thanks for guarding the poster with your life).
    sign.jpg
    Mike doing what he does best.
    mike.jpg

(Please let me know if the link doesn't work)

I'll put up my pictures once i get my house in order. Sux to come home and find your bathroom flooded :(.

Anway, heres my PJ/U2 story:
    I was #141 in that overnight line so i scored a bracelet and didn't have to go thru all that cutting crap. I was right behind the nacho libre, center left stage rail (b/t mike and eddie). Scored some picks that Mike threw and had a wonderful time.

Here is the best part. I really wanted the PJ poster so i took the chance of getting out of the ellipse and going for it. I took orders, the nacho libres all wanted 1 each and people around me wanted 1 also. So i went to one of the stands and the first one ran out while i was in line. I went over to another one and i see one of the sides completely empty while the other side of the stand was like full of people buying. So i walk over, ask 1 of the guys standing there if there was a limit of posters and he said "no". So, i bought 8 posters, 1 for everybody and myself, and got back behind the nacho libres before Rocco opened up the concert!!

That was one of the best concerts ever. I think meeting new friends was the best part. Craigx2 and Jenn, you guys are awesome, i'll hook up with you guys in tahoe and go boarding. The nacho libres was the best mexicans ever. They knew every song played, even the ones in between sets. Awesome.

~d
    Too many shows to list:
    From my first show in Hawaii when they opened for RHCP to upcoming 2016 MSG and Wrigley. Seen them in every continent except Africa and Antarctica.
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    J_NP wrote:
    But that's normal , People in U2 boards also have this kind of feeling .... I think any fans in band boards feel this way , coz they would love to get hidden gems back

But the point is , Not Fans who have like several chances of hearing these songs , but like I said , In countries where PJ only have a chance to play 1x in like 8 years , Imagine The People who never had the chance to experience live their biggest known songs or hits whatever ..... I think it would disappoint them
    Newcastle, Australia. The one-show locals wouldn't know what hit them. Not that we touring fans cared too much what they thought :)
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    digitmckee wrote:
    I'll put up my pictures once i get my house in order. Sux to come home and find your bathroom flooded :(.

Anway, heres my PJ/U2 story:
    I was #141 in that overnight line so i scored a bracelet and didn't have to go thru all that cutting crap. I was right behind the nacho libre, center left stage rail (b/t mike and eddie). Scored some picks that Mike threw and had a wonderful time.

Here is the best part. I really wanted the PJ poster so i took the chance of getting out of the ellipse and going for it. I took orders, the nacho libres all wanted 1 each and people around me wanted 1 also. So i went to one of the stands and the first one ran out while i was in line. I went over to another one and i see one of the sides completely empty while the other side of the stand was like full of people buying. So i walk over, ask 1 of the guys standing there if there was a limit of posters and he said "no". So, i bought 8 posters, 1 for everybody and myself, and got back behind the nacho libres before Rocco opened up the concert!!

That was one of the best concerts ever. I think meeting new friends was the best part. Craigx2 and Jenn, you guys are awesome, i'll hook up with you guys in tahoe and go boarding. The nacho libres was the best mexicans ever. They knew every song played, even the ones in between sets. Awesome.

~d
    Hey, I was right next to you! I was the chick with the Red Sox hat and SL8R shirt. FYI, my friend found Nacho Libre in the parking lot after the show and got her precious poster back. Perfect ending to a great show. My only complaint would be the number of folks in Holding Pen #1 who chose to sleep ALL night and then complain about the few talkers that prevented 8 hrs of shut eye. I was too excited to sleep! Awesome score on the posters.
    Congrats Andy!
    SL8R still rules
  • Options
    Heee. This is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. The second pic is kind of dark, so I don't see anything that looks familiar. But I'm taking a magnifying glass to the first one. I know we're in there somewhere!!!

Thanks for your efforts!!
    http://static.flickr.com/124/322635679_89a7aa4058_o.jpg

There's another one. I see a blond pony tail under a visor kinda obscured by a guy holding a red thing up. This is about my best crowd shot. I wasn't really trying to shoot the crowd much... :)

Aloha!

(oh, and so flickr doesn't boot me for linking directly to the images)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/revlimit/322635679/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/revlimit/322599534/
    "Holly f**k, that was so amazing, I just forgot who I came here to see!!" - Courtesy of the guy in the U2 t-shirt standing next to me in Aloha Stadium, Post PJ
  • Options
    Riomoto wrote:
    Hey, I was right next to you! I was the chick with the Red Sox hat and SL8R shirt. FYI, my friend found Nacho Libre in the parking lot after the show and got her precious poster back. Perfect ending to a great show. My only complaint would be the number of folks in Holding Pen #1 who chose to sleep ALL night and then complain about the few talkers that prevented 8 hrs of shut eye. I was too excited to sleep! Awesome score on the posters.

Nice to hear from you. Glad that your friend got her poster from the libre's. She was pretty bummed and so was my friend and I. We looked around the lot a lil but figured I would email them when i got home b/c we are exchanging pictures. If you want a c.d. of my pictures and videos, send me over an address.

Too bad we didn't get any wine that night. We had our cups :).
    Too many shows to list:
    From my first show in Hawaii when they opened for RHCP to upcoming 2016 MSG and Wrigley. Seen them in every continent except Africa and Antarctica.
  • Options
    krzzzymary wrote:
    THAT is funny

Do you really see a white visor in that shot?

Seriously. There's a white visor pretty much in the center of the group and it looks like the owner is holding a camera out.
  • Options
    Seriously. There's a white visor pretty much in the center of the group and it looks like the owner is holding a camera out.

Oh I totally see what/who you are talking about
    It was like 'where's waldo'
    Michael Franti
  • Options
    LukinTimer wrote:
    ...We are both tall, around 6ft, I am wearing ...
    Let me know is you find anything.

Just by this fact, they should be easy to spot. I'm just glad that I'm 6'1". :p
    "Underneath this smile lies everything - all my hopes, anger, pride and shame."
  • Options
    Just by this fact, they should be easy to spot. I'm just glad that I'm 6'1". :p

You crack me up Mookster.

Look for that darn green and white visor would ya?
    "Holly f**k, that was so amazing, I just forgot who I came here to see!!" - Courtesy of the guy in the U2 t-shirt standing next to me in Aloha Stadium, Post PJ
  • Options
    NitroNitro Posts: 264
    Just got back from Hawaii (took some time to explore the other islands).

What a sick show. Really enjoyed myself, though could have used some more PJ. This was my third U2 show this tour, and it's true that it was almost the same exact show as I had seen before, but still had fun with it.

Got there at 1030am for the show and got up front. We met a ton of people that were totally cool (sorry Kaddikat, wish we could have met up!). We were standing around with the cast of Lost, and Jermey Piven too. Have some awesome pictures of the show, I will try to upload them this week.
  • Options
    J_NPJ_NP Posts: 9
    First, I am a U2 fan.. I

Second, U2 is an Orchestrated BORING show and they always have been -

Should I give u a serious reply , or a honest that ur non-sense comment deserved ?

Nevermind ....
  • Options
    Hey everyone... long time PJ fan and first time poster here... I'm a 20+ year fan of U2 and a have always been a big fan of PJ way back since '92 but had never seen them live. Have heard tons of boots and was so looking forward to hearing Eddie live. AMAZING. I, too, am upset that Rocko took up valuable PJ time in the opening set. Loved the raw energy and someone got it right earlier when they said that they have two different approaches to their shows and both work perfectly for them.

Anyways, I thought I'd offer up a couple shots as a toast and introduce myself to the board. Enjoy!

IMG_1320-1.jpg

DSCN0027.jpg
    12.9.2006 Honolulu + Klausen
  • Options
    dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,285
    truthiness wrote:
    Hey everyone... long time PJ fan and first time poster here... I'm a 20+ year fan of U2 and a have always been a big fan of PJ way back since '92 but had never seen them live. Have heard tons of boots and was so looking forward to hearing Eddie live. AMAZING. I, too, am upset that Rocko took up valuable PJ time in the opening set. Loved the raw energy and someone got it right earlier when they said that they have two different approaches to their shows and both work perfectly for them.

Anyways, I thought I'd offer up a couple shots as a toast and introduce myself to the board. Enjoy!

IMG_1320-1.jpg

DSCN0027.jpg
    Thanks for the two shots....

And thanks for having one of the best usernames ever. I think I'll laugh everytime I see you on the board ;).
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    nilnil Posts: 2
    hi there,
    my first actual post here...it's been about a week but i thought i would say something anyway...i went to both shows but missed most of the pearl jam set at the U2 show due to the horrendous traffic outside. was really bummed but so glad i made it to the show the week before...

and one more thing to add...i was having brunch friday morning in haleiwa, at the haleiwa cafe and saw daryl hannah eating there with some friends. she was later joined by STONE! i guess they're friends, because of the environmental groups they support or something...couldn't say anything though, and didn't want to interrupt his brunch...we just went outside and then called everyone we knew in true non-tacky pearl jam fan fashion. :)

-nil
  • Options
    bonowallbonowall Posts: 116
    nil wrote:
    hi there,
    my first actual post here...it's been about a week but i thought i would say something anyway...i went to both shows but missed most of the pearl jam set at the U2 show due to the horrendous traffic outside. was really bummed but so glad i made it to the show the week before...

and one more thing to add...i was having brunch friday morning in haleiwa, at the haleiwa cafe and saw daryl hannah eating there with some friends. she was later joined by STONE! i guess they're friends, because of the environmental groups they support or something...couldn't say anything though, and didn't want to interrupt his brunch...we just went outside and then called everyone we knew in true non-tacky pearl jam fan fashion. :)

-nil

Welcome to the boards! So true about your comment on PJ fans...

I have had much much time to think eveything through (and after some love taps across the face from friends about being negaitve) I come back and thank my lucky stars i met Eddie.

I still can't believe it. It's a story I will tell too many times - it brings me pure joy.

We, as a collective bunch, don't act like groupies - pretty amazing stuff when you think about it...

We rock!
    HAWAII BABY!!!!!!

MySpace:
    www.myspace.com/greendisease06

Web Site:
    www.wallsstreetjournal.net

Proud Volunteer of:
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    We totally rock! I spent 2 weeks in Heleiwa and probably saw lots of folks but only remember the beautiful turtles, rainbows, and whales jumping out of the ocean. Oh, and Kelly Slater's half naked body. Oh, and THE 2 BEST SHOWS OF THE YEAR!!!!! Did anyone mention that the radio station in HI was playing PJ's Hawaii '78 from Blaisdell every hour on the hour?
    Congrats Andy!
    SL8R still rules
  • Options
    http://thearmyreserve.blogspot.com

High quality recording now available in mp3 and FLAC with hand crafted artwork....

Enjoy :)
    REMEMBER KIDS....

The Bible is full of lies - Stone is the leader of us all!
  • Options
    I'm Gone wrote:
    http://thearmyreserve.blogspot.com

High quality recording now available in mp3 and FLAC with hand crafted artwork....

Enjoy :)

Do you have a direct link, because I didn't see the boot for the 12/9 show.
  • Options
    Do you have a direct link, because I didn't see the boot for the 12/9 show.

Nevermind. I just found it. I do tend to be blind sometimes, when I have some good wine in the evening. Kind of like Ed drinking wine and forget the words to Immortality. :cool:
  • Options
    nil wrote:

-nil

I had so much to say about this trip, that I just couldn't sit down and type it all out. But I saw your post & got motivated to write a few things down...

Because I was there too!! - sitting with my husband in the booth directly in front of them! I had my back to the door & my husband looks past my shoulder and said "Oh my god - Stone just walked in!". I tried to casually glance behind me & saw Stone slide into the booth. Was there a girl in your party wearing the brown PJ surf shirt? I was facing your table & could tell you guys knew what was up and later saw you in the back parking lot making calls when I went out back to hit the bathroom. We didn't bother him either since he was with people & it didn't seem appropriate.

Was that really Darryl Hannah? I saw her before we were seated over at the Deep Ecology shop next door, and saw the resemblance, but thought she looked kind of haggard. Didn't occur to me it was actually her. I'm pretty sure Stone's wife was part of the group he joined, but had no idea who the rest were. And not that I was trying to eavesdrop or anything ;), but I believe there was talk about scuba diving and pets. Whose dog is named Taco? 'Cause I'm pretty sure that name came up in the pet stories.

We also saw Eddie twice on the beach in Waikiki. The first time was the morning of their solo show - he came out of the water carrying a surfboard. I was in such shock to see him right out there in public, that I just watched him walk right past us with this idiotic grin on my face. He saw us looking over & grinned back. But he was there with his daughter, so I didn't feel right trying to talk to him. A little later though, my husband had the opportunity to tell him that we were there on our honeymoon & how he had a friend play Smile for me at our wedding in lieu of the wedding march, and asked if they'd play it that night. So it was a pretty huge deal for us when they played it.

The next time we saw him was Monday morning & I gave him a little pin that I got the night before when we saw a Hawaiian ukulele player, Jake Shimabukuro play at the Waimea Audubon Center. It said "peace, love & ukulele". Ed recognized the name and called Jake a "monster" on the uke. We thanked him for playing Smile and he shook our hands and said it was a fun show. He was running back to his hotel room, so we just left it at that, but we were amazed at how cool and friendly he was.

And then just a few minutes later, I was sitting on the beach by myself while my husband was looking into renting a surfboard, and Ed walks right past me carrying his surfboard. He looked over at me as he walked past and said "Enjoy the rest of your stay!"

I never actually believed I would see any of these guys outside of a concert, so it blew my mind to have them pop up like they did.

I too called everyone I knew - especially after meeting Ed!

Just another interesting thing - during our week there, we met employees from a couple different surf shops, all who have met Ed in their stores. They all had such great things to say about what a nice guy he is. One girl even told us about being on the North Shore one night and hearing Ed and Jack Johnson playing together out on the beach. Can you imagine?

Best trip ever!
    no time to be void or save up on life
    you've got to spend it all.
  • Options
    i was expecting a largerset set-list from Pearl jam but the song with bno was great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    its not a bad time to be me; something made me realise it was time to get away from there or i was going to be just another loser!
  • Options
    December 8.
    Arrived back in Honolulu after 3 great days on Kauai.
    Kauai is beautiful and has a way slower pace then Oahu. While we were there we met two fellow Pearl Jam Fans Adam and Dave. You guys are awesome! I highly recommend visiting the Garden Island.
    Our plan was to be in-line early on December 9 so we needed to get some stuff for the long day in line. We found a Wal-Mart and bought Lawn Chairs, Cooler, Water, and Chips. On our way to our Hotel we passed the Stadium to get a lay of the land and to figure out where we needed to park and to see how may people were in line. we were told there was about 600 people already in line and this was around 10:00pm. So we knew we had to be there early, because we did not want to sleep in the parking lot.
    December 9.
    Woke up at 5:00am got ready and headed to the stadium and were in line exactly at 6:00am. We were right near the front of General Admission Pen 3.
    Again we met some awesome people from Florida, Chicago, and New York all of who were U2 fans, but they were really cool. They were actually asking me tons of questions about Pearl Jam as none of them had seen the guys before, so I was more than happy to answer.
    After waiting and waiting in the baking sun it was soon evident it would be a survival test, but we managed to keep busy and hydrated.
    Around 1 or 2 pm we heard Rocko and PJ doing some sound checking so we knew we were getting closer.
    Rocko actually was walking around the parking lot with some of his family and so people were running up and talking to him and he was really nice. While I was nearby he was talking to somebody and said "Pearl Jam is Awesome".
    3:30pm we start getting lined up to go in and we get in by about 4:30pm and are really excited to be up in the inner General Admission (Ellipse Area), so we try get as close we can to the front which ends up being about 4th row on Stone's side. In all the shows I have been too this is the closest I have been.
    Again everyone was cool, just chilling, not much pushing or jockeying for position going on. We able to get out and back to go to the washroom(restroom) and grab a poster and T-shirt.
    6:30pm and Rocko comes out and puts on a half hour set which I thought was decent. They were basically a bar band playing a stadium. I kept thinking that if Pearl jam was headlining how Eddie would have done a pre-set just to help get people in their seats, because outside of the general admission area the stadium was pretty empty.
    7:30pm and the familiar PJ Intro starts and from where I was standing I could tell they mean business. Interstellar Overdrive into Corduroy just tore it up. It felt like volume wise they were turned down slightly but that may be typical for opening bands.
    This was followed by Life Wasted, Do The Evolution, Elderly Small Town, Big Wave, and Even Flow which was awesome Mike was dong the solo behind his head and was basically an ANIMAL ALL NIGHT!!!!
    Hawaii 78 was played again and this time around I knew what it was and it was beautiful with the locals giving the loudest cheers and from where I was standing I could see Boom clearly and he was crying the whole song. I will say however that the Dec 2 version was better.
    Better Man was next and I think had the loudest crowd reaction as I know more than one U2 fan was hopeful to hear this song.
    World Wide Suicide, Given To Fly, Crazy Mary with Boom introduction, Alive which was the best song of then night, and then Baba O'Riley closed out the set at exactly one hour.
    I wasn't surprised at the one hour length as that was what I expected, I was however surprised that they did not play RITFW with U2 joining them considering I heard that it had been sound checked the night before. However during the change over from PJ to U2 gear I saw Mike's tech hand Edge's tech one of Mike's guitars and I could make out the faint notes of RITFW being sound checked so then I figured that it would be played during the U2 set.
    More than a few people near us commented at how good PJ was and how awesome Eddie is as a front man.
    The U2 set started out great and I enjoyed the show, however at times as people have eluded to it seemed too scripted. One thing I absolutely love about Pearl Jam is how genuine and unscripted every show feels.
    After Billie Joe joined U2 for the Saints are Marching we all started chanting Eddie's name and he and Mike came out for RITFW. As soon as it started I could tell it was slower than what we are used to but with Larry on drums and Adam on bass I guess that should have been expected. By the end of the song however Eddie was jumping around and doing the things he normally does and I think he restored some needed energy back to the stage and added the improv line of "I love the Edge" to Bono's "I don't know how to end" near the the finish of the song. Ed didn't miss a beat.
    'All I want is you' ended the show.
    It was a great day and a fantastic experience.
    Between the Dec 2 and Dec 9 show and all that I saw and experienced in Hawaii it was truly the best vacation I have been on. I loved every minute of it.

Mahalo. See you all at the next show!
    Peace
    98: Barrie
    00: Nawlins, Saratoga, Tor, Det, Phx
    01: Bridge
    03: Raleigh, Char, Buf, Det x2, Tor, Mont
    05: T-Bay, Kit, Lon, Ham, Tor
    06: Tor x2, Clev, Cin, Arnhem, Honolulu x2
    07: Vic, Lolla, Tor(EV) Body of War
    08: Van(EV) x2, Hart, Bos x2, Tor(EV) x2
    09: Tor
    10: Jazz Fest, Clev, Buf
    11: Det(EV), Tor x2, Ham
    12: FLL(EV)
    13: Pit, Buf, Cal
    14: Det, Den
    15: NYC
  • Options
    tickyticky Posts: 3
    When we bought the tickets, he was the Pearl Jam fan and I was the U2 fanatic. By the time we got to Hawaii, after spending months listening to the boots, I had been converted. Their set was too short! U2 was too choreographed! Uwho?

Anyway, I have just a few photos in a flickr set of the show and they're mostly of U2, however, there are a couple of decent shots of RITFW, which was the best part of the show.*

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drivinginheels/sets/72157594423026924/

*Actually, the best part of the show was standing in line and hearing the sound check with Jen and Scott. I am strange like that.
    It's possible I've died and this is heaven.
  • Options
    nilnil Posts: 2
    hey yeah, the girl in the brown shirt was me! funny, i feel like we must've been really loud in the parking lot out back. :)

and yeah i was pretty sure that was darryl hannah. i recognized her when she walked in past our table. she did look old...amazing what makeup can do. but she looked healthy and all...i think taco is stone's dog?

that's great you got to meet ed!

I had so much to say about this trip, that I just couldn't sit down and type it all out. But I saw your post & got motivated to write a few things down...

Because I was there too!! - sitting with my husband in the booth directly in front of them! I had my back to the door & my husband looks past my shoulder and said "Oh my god - Stone just walked in!". I tried to casually glance behind me & saw Stone slide into the booth. Was there a girl in your party wearing the brown PJ surf shirt? I was facing your table & could tell you guys knew what was up and later saw you in the back parking lot making calls when I went out back to hit the bathroom. We didn't bother him either since he was with people & it didn't seem appropriate.

Was that really Darryl Hannah? I saw her before we were seated over at the Deep Ecology shop next door, and saw the resemblance, but thought she looked kind of haggard. Didn't occur to me it was actually her. I'm pretty sure Stone's wife was part of the group he joined, but had no idea who the rest were. And not that I was trying to eavesdrop or anything ;), but I believe there was talk about scuba diving and pets. Whose dog is named Taco? 'Cause I'm pretty sure that name came up in the pet stories.

We also saw Eddie twice on the beach in Waikiki. The first time was the morning of their solo show - he came out of the water carrying a surfboard. I was in such shock to see him right out there in public, that I just watched him walk right past us with this idiotic grin on my face. He saw us looking over & grinned back. But he was there with his daughter, so I didn't feel right trying to talk to him. A little later though, my husband had the opportunity to tell him that we were there on our honeymoon & how he had a friend play Smile for me at our wedding in lieu of the wedding march, and asked if they'd play it that night. So it was a pretty huge deal for us when they played it.

The next time we saw him was Monday morning & I gave him a little pin that I got the night before when we saw a Hawaiian ukulele player, Jake Shimabukuro play at the Waimea Audubon Center. It said "peace, love & ukulele". Ed recognized the name and called Jake a "monster" on the uke. We thanked him for playing Smile and he shook our hands and said it was a fun show. He was running back to his hotel room, so we just left it at that, but we were amazed at how cool and friendly he was.

And then just a few minutes later, I was sitting on the beach by myself while my husband was looking into renting a surfboard, and Ed walks right past me carrying his surfboard. He looked over at me as he walked past and said "Enjoy the rest of your stay!"

I never actually believed I would see any of these guys outside of a concert, so it blew my mind to have them pop up like they did.

I too called everyone I knew - especially after meeting Ed!

Just another interesting thing - during our week there, we met employees from a couple different surf shops, all who have met Ed in their stores. They all had such great things to say about what a nice guy he is. One girl even told us about being on the North Shore one night and hearing Ed and Jack Johnson playing together out on the beach. Can you imagine?

Best trip ever!
  • Options
    here's what I caught on cam of the 'I love the Edge' moment.

A highlight of the night as it really showed the friendship between the two bands.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2972407234019921733&hl=en
    12.9.2006 Honolulu + Klausen