Options

*** U2 / Pearl Jam Hawaii Fanviews Here December 9, 2006 ***

Comments

• Options
    FnCircusFnCircus Posts: 439
    LukinTimer wrote:
    Keeps me on our toes for all those times people say "Pearl Jam, they're still around?"
    are they? i heard they haven't toured in a while, especially in the South.......
  • Options
    J_NP wrote:
    2- About these critics of u2 putting the same show .... Just a question , What exactely did you expect ??? U2 had not played in Honolulu before in the Vertigo Tour ??? What's the point because someone had the chance to watch a concert before , and it looked similar ? All Honolulu persons had this chance as well ? So just for the sake of this person who's sayin these things here , U2 should change the whole thing , and Honolulu would lose the chance of experience what the Vertigo show was about ???

3-About "The Edge" , I have to remind you 1st thing , u2 is a band of 1 guitarrist , Pearl Jam 2 , so it's easy for 1 to become the main leader guitarrist and do all the solos new and olds ..... And With u2 , not only Edge has to play for 2 , but it's distinguishes him from most of guitarrists , He doesn't need to be showing around everywhere .... It's like intelligence , If u are u are , u don't need to be saying or proving anywhere ..... But anyway just a small response for ya people who would appreciate seeing the guy workin :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fQRyeFwXP5g Put in 0:38
    And this was in 78

4- And about U2 opening for PJ , Tell U what , if PJ opens for a band liek Franz Ferdinand ....... Then it could happen ;)

First, I am a U2 fan.. I was just mentioning that the Edge is not the caliber that Mike is... they are not in the same class ....in my opinion, the Edge should be called the DUD - sorry Mike kicks ass compared to him.. .and I don't care if U2 has sixty guitars... no comparision - Mike kicks ass and even Stone kicks ass in comparision...

Second, U2 is an Orchestrated BORING show and they always have been - Bono is an entertainer...Eddie explores the grounds hangs with the locals and sings songs for the locals...Bono's every move is thought out..even dancing with the woman during One was orchestrated...

sorry to rant but that is how I see it...

Pearl Jam Ruled the night....I did not expect more than 50 minutes tops... but they were so much more Alive - Pearl Jam is a great live band... they are better than their studio recordings... I feel like each time U2 deviates...and was obvious on Saturday - they sound cheesy...

my two cents.
    Up the West Coast in 2006 and Hawaii++Santa Barbara, San Fran x 3, Portland, Gorge x2
    Chicago and Down the Coast in 2003
    Seattle 2005
    SF 2000, 2001, 2003--- oh or you can come to terms and realize you're the only one who cannot forgive yourself
  • Options
    Riomoto wrote:

Mike doing what he does best.
    mike.jpg

(Please let me know if the link doesn't work)
    is this Mike on the tee shirt or Pete? Mike did a great job on his guitar in San Francisco....if it is a pix of mike on the shirt anyone know where to buy?
    thanks
    Up the West Coast in 2006 and Hawaii++Santa Barbara, San Fran x 3, Portland, Gorge x2
    Chicago and Down the Coast in 2003
    Seattle 2005
    SF 2000, 2001, 2003--- oh or you can come to terms and realize you're the only one who cannot forgive yourself
  • Options
    bonowall wrote:
    Uhh...."snuck in"??? no, no, no...let's not even PRETEND to go that route on this thread because I am VERY sensative about the treatment given to us the whole night in that lovely (elitist) pen. We arrived there in the middle of what I call insanity or stupidity. Pen #1 was being corralled when we got there and #2 being migrated. Apparently there was confusion around when 1 ended and 2 began.

The solid "PEN" process was utterly ridiculous and flawed. in fact, the pen disappeared completely after the first round of waiters walked in (most of pen 1). I do remember seeing you in the AM in pen #1 though...it was in the morning..,asking security to go back and get ready or something. i was on the concrete beneath you - don't know if you saw us there.

I NEVER "SNUCK" anywhere - I was directed by security into the pen we were in.

I certainly hope that you would not imply i would do anything UNETHICAL to get closer to the stage at a show....I am not one of THOSE people.

Thank you,

PS - as a footnote, I suppose I should thank the many hospitable fans in pen #1 for sharing...oh wait, they didn't....even after asking still not getting anything. It was by blind chance (or fate) that we ended up talking to and bonding with the coolest mofos in the pen in the AM who made the rest of the 17 hour stint a fun one.

PPS - I'm impressed as well...you spoke to all 500 people in line...wow!

Quite a few people snuck into Pen #1. It was easy to spot them since they were missing the number on their hand that everyone received when they arrived the night before. It added a bad vibe to the preshow. I was #460 in the pen but ended up around 600th in line.
  • Options
    1Vedhead1Vedhead Posts: 147
    LukinTimer wrote:
    Hee, hee.

Well, yeah... kind of. It wasn't a thing of beauty, but he stayed up for a short ride.

He seemed to be having a good time. A big smile plastered on his face.

They were out for quite a while when one of the Kings of Leon (a couple of them were with Eddie & Mike) said "time for a Pina Colada break." To which Eddie replied, "okay, then we'll come back out again!"

"

I also heard Ed asking another guy out there if he thought the waves would be better later.. They were talking about tides and together decided that later in the afternoon would be better.
    LA 7/9/06 & 7/10/06
    The Gorge 7/22/06 & 7/23/06
    Antwerp 8/30/06
    Bridge 2 10/22/06
    Honolulu 12/2/06 & 12/9/06
    Munich 6/12/07
    Katowice 6/13/07, London 6/18/07, Lollapalooza 8/07, LA (EV) 4/12/08 & 4/13/08, Ouside Lands 09
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    u2 still rocks.
  • Options
    Quite a few people snuck into Pen #1. It was easy to spot them since they were missing the number on their hand that everyone received when they arrived the night before. It added a bad vibe to the preshow. I was #460 in the pen but ended up around 600th in line.

You know what struck me as odd about everyone in the "holding pens?" Everyone was so damn serious, I even found myself feeling that way at times. Good old milling behavior.

Seriously, one person would move toward the front and people would just start jumping up and running into line. It was nuts. And I was back in pen #3.

And after all of that, everyone in the first 3.5 pens ended up in the inner circle. I ended up with an awesome spot not too far from the stage, and I saw people who had been in line BEHIND me, in front of me, but I didn't care... it was a great show.

A group of U2 guys at Duke's Thursday night laughed at me for even considering sleeping out overnight. They got there late on Sat, were in the very back of Pen #3 and STILL ended in the same place as me.

Go figure... (-;
    "Holly f**k, that was so amazing, I just forgot who I came here to see!!" - Courtesy of the guy in the U2 t-shirt standing next to me in Aloha Stadium, Post PJ
  • Options
    First time I get a chance since being back from Honolulu. Came back with the flu. Other than that it was the the greatest time. I can't believe I was even there. An hour was enough for me. I was lucky to be there. All the traffic in the world couldn't stop me. The traffic was really ridiculous! Anyway--me and friends got all the U2 fans pumped up for Pearl Jam. By the end of the show they were all rockin with us. It was a very "pop" PJ set but nevertheless, kicked ass! Eddie totally stole the show during RITFW. He was so into it and he seemed so happy. It was so disorganized so me and my friends/family went all the way to the bottom of the seats without anyone ever noticing us. We got so burned out after PJ that we just went to chill up in our seats. I've seen U2 several times and I love them but I think Eddie stole the show! It was so fast I'm not sure if that's good or bad or both. They only played three slow songs, it seemed like they just sped through the set. I didn't have time to breath...but they kicked ass! I know alot of U2 fans became instant PJ fans...not sure if already been posted but the concert broke Honolulu record for the most people at a concert.
    11/5/93 Indio, CA;11/6/95 SD; 7/13/98 LA; 10/24/00 LA; 10/28/00 SB; 4/1/03 CO; 6/2/03 OC; 6/5/03 SD; 9/2/05 BC; 7/9-10/06 LA; 10/21/06 Bridge; 12/9/06 Oahu; 10/27/07 Bridge; 4/12/08 Eddie; 6/30/08 Mansfield; 9/30/09 Universal; 7/9/11 Eddie; 11/23-24/13 LA; 11/26/13 Oak.;10/22/13 CO
  • Options
    TeddyledbetterTeddyledbetter Seattle, WA Posts: 473
    Aloha!

Back home after an awesome week in Hawaii!
    I lost my job a few weeks ago so i wasn't sure i should still make the trip...
    Credit Card is a little heavier and i've got a mid summer tan in december so I guess I'll live through it!
    Unfortunately, I didn't see anyone from the band this time but i did shake hands with Kid Rock and got a "What's up brother?" from him as my wife and I were eating lunch at the House without a Key at the Halekulani Hotel. Yesterday before we left we struck up a conversation with our waitress and she told us Cindy Crawford and Bill Gates had just left and they also went to the show Saturday!
    We sat at the Tsunami Bar before the show talking to the locals trying to figure out "The Bus" schedule. Bus 20 went past us 3 times full and it was only 3:30. We found a driver at a nearby hotel who just dropped off a group from the airport. We filled it for $11.00 per person. (Hey Aida!) We got inside after waiting 10 minutes. To the merch tents... No Credit Card machines working.... Beer, Poster... Beer, Poster??? What's a guy to do?
    Poster!!!!!!!! (Paid for Beer with Credit Card) The line was crazy- U2 fans asking about sizes of Horrible looking T-Shirts while my "Poster" was only a few feet way... What is up with people taking so long to figure out they are too big for a large shirt? I roll the posters up and garbage bag them and rubber band them... thank god! I had drunken beer spiller guy next to me!
    Master Slave begins and the boys start a jamming Interstellar Overdrive... The non PJ fans were clueless...then the familar Corduroy Cords begin a jamming set. We were rocking out like crazy in our section NN- Hey to the girl behind us who came over to jam with us during Crazy Mary! Awesome time, too short!!!! See you at Alpine Valley next year!
  • Options
    bonowall wrote:
    Uhh...."snuck in"??? no, no, no...let's not even PRETEND to go that route on this thread because I am VERY sensative about the treatment given to us the whole night in that lovely (elitist) pen. We arrived there in the middle of what I call insanity or stupidity. Pen #1 was being corralled when we got there and #2 being migrated. Apparently there was confusion around when 1 ended and 2 began.

The solid "PEN" process was utterly ridiculous and flawed. in fact, the pen disappeared completely after the first round of waiters walked in (most of pen 1). I do remember seeing you in the AM in pen #1 though...it was in the morning..,asking security to go back and get ready or something. i was on the concrete beneath you - don't know if you saw us there.

I NEVER "SNUCK" anywhere - I was directed by security into the pen we were in.

I certainly hope that you would not imply i would do anything UNETHICAL to get closer to the stage at a show....I am not one of THOSE people.

Thank you,

PS - as a footnote, I suppose I should thank the many hospitable fans in pen #1 for sharing...oh wait, they didn't....even after asking still not getting anything. It was by blind chance (or fate) that we ended up talking to and bonding with the coolest mofos in the pen in the AM who made the rest of the 17 hour stint a fun one.

PPS - I'm impressed as well...you spoke to all 500 people in line...wow!

Whoa hold on a second. Ok I dunno WTF your problem is with me...if its just this post, which I'll address in a second or if someone has been shit talking me to you but I'll explain what I meant when I said that I spoke to almost the whole line.

I was near the front so I was there when news was filtering in from the security. I went up the line...stopped every 20 people or so and let them know what was going on. I'm sorry that trying to be a good samaritan is seen as showing off to you. Next time maybe I won't say shit to anyone and let it become chaos. Ok security kinda did that on its own later, but speaking from experience, it coulda been MUCH worse.
    You don't know me...you met me briefly at the fundraiser, but otherwise have never spoken to me so please don't be so quick to jump to conclusions about me. I am not a bad person ok. I'm also not a perfect person either and neither or you so chill ok.

Now I'll address my post.

Perhaps I misread your original post...but yes you said you were directed in there by security I know.

It was almost 1am my time when I read and replied to your post. I just went and re-read it and I now realize that I misread
    We just weren't in a fortunate position to have "those friends' cheat us in. We were put in this pen and then looked at like lunchmeat by the "dedicated" and "numbered" fans.
    I read it as you WERE in a fortunate position. I'm sorry about the mixup. I never thought you going into the first pen was an intentional act...I originally thought it was more fortuitous directing by the security while u were talking to friends. Anyways I apologize for the implication.

Ohh and btw whatever you may think of me or have been told about me, I'm not one of those elitist U2 assholes you encountered in the line. There was a couple of people who snuck in near me but I didn't say shit cause I know there was enough rail or inner circle space to go around and I was all about having a positve GA and concert experience.

The people I was around were wonderful people who really looked out for each other. I'm sorry your part of the line wasn't as friendly. If I had known you were there (I only saw Monica and she's not speaking to me so I kept my distance) I woulda come over and chit chatted with you for a while as I had hoped to get to know u better since we have 2 fave bands in common.

Anyways we all had a great time at the show and in Hawaii in general. Hell you Met Ed, Mike and I heard through the grapevine Bono (which I'd love to hear details about btw). Lets focus on that and forget the negativity k,

Again sorry for misreading your original post.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    bonowallbonowall Posts: 116

ACC - got your post - no problem. I just odn't like coming across to my fellow fans as someone who snuck, cheated, or did anything WRONG to end up in that...as this quote above implies. I think the numbered system sucked major ass - I know it wasn't your doing but the notion of "policing" yourselves almost by nature preventing you from ENJOYING yourselves. In retrospect, I would have MUCH rather been chilling with Vedhead and Lukintimer in the back...

None of that anger is directed at you - you're right, I don't know you. Your post to me came across as one similiar to the quote above...opinionated. My point was that you don't know me either.

I will tell you this - the esperience left me basically saying - fuck the front for U2, it's just not worth it. I blew my last free evening in Hawaii listening to a bunch of freaking morons complain like the person above. I'm sorry Cowboy Junkie - your point is off - there were about 50-100 people who missed the magic pen. Were they all cheaters? Hard to see how since I saw quite a few that were sleeping in there all night too. I ask you this....where did you end up? One person deep? Did it really matter? Was it worth you policing people? Nuh-uh.

No worries about me being stamped for Da Furer (baja - jackass) anymore. I'll be at the Bar!!!!!!

ACC - we are all good!!! Yup, met Bono - I was extremely disappointed at what I thought the experience would be vs. what it actually was. The Eddie meeting was SO much more organic. (NO, not orgasmic...lol)
    Cowboy junkies - please don't respond...I want to let this go. (by the way, are you a big DMB fan too? F'ing circus...thought you'd like that one!)
    HAWAII BABY!!!!!!

MySpace:
    www.myspace.com/greendisease06

Web Site:
    www.wallsstreetjournal.net

Proud Volunteer of:
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    bonowall wrote:
    ACC - got your post - no problem. I just odn't like coming across to my fellow fans as someone who snuck, cheated, or did anything WRONG to end up in that...as this quote above implies. I think the numbered system sucked major ass - I know it wasn't your doing but the notion of "policing" yourselves almost by nature preventing you from ENJOYING yourselves. In retrospect, I would have MUCH rather been chilling with Vedhead and Lukintimer in the back...

None of that anger is directed at you - you're right, I don't know you. Your post to me came across as one similiar to the quote above...opinionated. My point was that you don't know me either.

I will tell you this - the esperience left me basically saying - fuck the front for U2, it's just not worth it. I blew my last free evening in Hawaii listening to a bunch of freaking morons complain like the person above. I'm sorry Cowboy Junkie - your point is off - there were about 50-100 people who missed the magic pen. Were they all cheaters? Hard to see how since I saw quite a few that were sleeping in there all night too. I ask you this....where did you end up? One person deep? Did it really matter? Was it worth you policing people? Nuh-uh.

No worries about me being stamped for Da Furer (baja - jackass) anymore. I'll be at the Bar!!!!!!

ACC - we are all good!!! Yup, met Bono - I was extremely disappointed at what I thought the experience would be vs. what it actually was. The Eddie meeting was SO much more organic. (NO, not orgasmic...lol)
    Cowboy junkies - please don't respond...I want to let this go. (by the way, are you a big DMB fan too? F'ing circus...thought you'd like that one!)

dude u can't leave me hanging like that!! hahaha. Details please?? Where did u meet him? You get a pic? I'll show u mine if u show me yours haha (ok mines not from Hawaii tho). Dish. I gots to know! lol

I'm glad we're good:)

I see what you are saying but the idea of policing ourselves is to keep 1 person from showing up the day before and 30 of his/her friends from showing up the next morning and cutting in.
    I've SEEN that happen in 10c lines (on the 03 tour).
    Ya they take it to the extreme...esp that asshole at the front of the line...I think he goes by superfan on interference. He ran the line in San Diego too and it was a mess.
    You are right that we all got in close and that the difference in the 2 pens was like one spot off the rail or something. If I was taller I wouldn't have cared...but I thought it was gonna be more cramped so I was gunning for the rail to avoid being pinned between people and being in a hot, humid place, unable to see well and enjoy the show.
    luckily Adams side of the inner circle had soo much room, and the people around me were pretty kick ass. Even the security.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    LukinTimer wrote:
    Hee, hee.

Well, yeah... kind of. It wasn't a thing of beauty, but he stayed up for a short ride.

He seemed to be having a good time. A big smile plastered on his face.

They were out for quite a while when one of the Kings of Leon (a couple of them were with Eddie & Mike) said "time for a Pina Colada break." To which Eddie replied, "okay, then we'll come back out again!"

PS - I like to think of the U-Jam fight as more of a "sharing of opinions." (-;
    Keeps me on my toes for all those times people say "Pearl Jam, they're still around?"

Ahhhhuuuuu....
    Thats all I can say right now...
  • Options
    Now, I know why I stay away or hardly say much on message boards!

:) Don't it make you smile?
    EvilClosetMonkey is my hero, he is AWESOME!!!!!!
  • Options
    bonowall wrote:

I went for PJ as much as U2. I hated being in line since it was too serious and my bottle of rum that I smuggled in received too little love. Everything seemed very simple (get in line, get your number, wait) but it didn't work.

I don't listen to DMB but it seems like the PJ fans have a lot of hate for that band. Is there a story behind it?

There seems to be a lot of animosity brewing in the PJ crowd so I'll politely bow out. I just came here to share some pics and learn a little more about an amazing band.
  • Options
    It was a U2 show dumbass. And I mean dumbass in every sense of the word.

Amen brother. Bono is a brilliant singer and lyricist and the Edge is an amazing guitar player. What more do you want?
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Options
    all of the pj nerds in here need to relax...i am a pj nerd and i did "sneak" into a pen and proud of it...it is general admission, deal with it...also, after having to go through the torture of listening to rocko and the chubbies, i felt no shame cutting in front of u2 fans...and since there where very few pj fans around me, i know i didnt shut any of them out...and let me guess how many of you fans that are pissed bought more than one poster...you know it was one per person, so some people got shut out.

peace
  • Options
    No need to bow out. I think overall the bad experiences were pretty isolated to one or two people.

By the way, did you say you had pictures? Willing to share? 1Vedhead got some great U2 shots. Sharing on Interference, and sent some to the guy who played "Wild Horses." He's hilarious, it was his SECOND time on stage this tour!!

By the way, what did you think of PJ live? No direct comparisons required. (-;

Chris, you're right... you should have been in Pen #3 chillin' with Lori and I, we had fun and great spots! It only got a little crazy in the last hour... and heck, we were there for 9-to-10!!!

I went for PJ as much as U2. I hated being in line since it was too serious and my bottle of rum that I smuggled in received too little love. Everything seemed very simple (get in line, get your number, wait) but it didn't work.

I don't listen to DMB but it seems like the PJ fans have a lot of hate for that band. Is there a story behind it?

There seems to be a lot of animosity brewing in the PJ crowd so I'll politely bow out. I just came here to share some pics and learn a little more about an amazing band.
    "Holly f**k, that was so amazing, I just forgot who I came here to see!!" - Courtesy of the guy in the U2 t-shirt standing next to me in Aloha Stadium, Post PJ
  • Options
    FnCircusFnCircus Posts: 439
    It was disappointing to see a show where so many fans were of the mindset that it was "we" and "them". There were quite a few of us who appreciate great music and were thrilled to see two superb, and very different, bands.

It was my first U2 show. It was my first Pearl Jam show. I was not diasppointed by either and both did exactly what I expected. There are many different paths to the spiritual moment when music makes the world disappear and raises the social awareness (Springsteen and Ani Difranco come to mind). Both bands had those moments the other night.
    i agree......and you will see the "we" and "them" attitudes whenever ANY two very popular bands get together, especially amongst the diehards. Not saying everyone is like that, but its evident more than what it should be. And honestly, PJ fans are guilty of it just as much as the others. I saw it in denver during the PJ / Tom Petty show.

and I am happy that you all had a great time seeing two very different bands, very happy.

as far as DMB, well.....................
  • Options
    I just uploaded some of my U2/PJ shots to my flickr account if anyone would like to look. I wish I'd taken more PJ shots. I was enjoying the show so much and it was over so quickly that I only got about 40 something.

In contrast, I got kinda bored at the U2 show, so I just started taking pictures to stay happy. Hmmm. That sounds wrong, but that's my story. I was so pissed off at the U2 fans for the constant asshattery in the aisle my seat was next to that I wasn't enjoying the show. And it was quite a show. Showmanship was not lost on U2. Anyways...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/revlimit/sets/72157594420648309/ - should be a link to my PJ Aloha stadium set

http://www.flickr.com/photos/revlimit/sets/72157594420708512/ - should be a link to the U2 shots

http://www.flickr.com/photos/revlimit/322635894/ - Mike & Eddie w/ U2
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/revlimit/322599516/ - Ed sharing his thoughts with the crowd
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/revlimit/322599701/ - my camera on acid
    Baby humpback, baby humpback!
    Down the sewer, down the sewer!
  • Options
    Great Pics Avococado Surf Co. Thanks for sharing!!

I keep looking for myself and 1VedHead, but so far no luck! Argh.
  • Options
    F'n_Circus wrote:
    i agree......and you will see the "we" and "them" attitudes whenever ANY two very popular bands get together, especially amongst the diehards. Not saying everyone is like that, but its evident more than what it should be. And honestly, PJ fans are guilty of it just as much as the others. I saw it in denver during the PJ / Tom Petty show.

and I am happy that you all had a great time seeing two very different bands, very happy.

as far as DMB, well.....................

Can't we all just get along. We can all just "chill" at the Healing Pole...oh, wait a sec we already did it, but no DMB fans showed. :)
    "Underneath this smile lies everything - all my hopes, anger, pride and shame."
  • Options
    O.K. I just got home last night (thurs.) from my hawaii vacation.

Im barely on page 4 of this post.
    And so far .... bonowalls review of the line nightmare sounds horrid. You poor thing. Those fans sound scary. I just reinforces the thoughts I have that PJ fans just are so nice.

All I have to say from my point of view on it all is while I had a great time and was with great friends. I enjoyed Pearl Jam at this show but I think I blew it big time and I should have been there for the show the week before.

However ..... I had a great run in with Laird Hamilton twice on Maui.
    I had met him before ........ and I told him that I thought the Sundance show he did with Ed was awesome.
    I spoke with him for a while and of course I had to throw in the Ed connection. he he!
    "You can bomb the world to pieces but you can't bomb into peace"
    Michael Franti
  • Options
    LukinTimer wrote:
    Great Pics Avococado Surf Co. Thanks for sharing!!

I keep looking for myself and 1VedHead, but so far no luck! Argh.

Thanks!

Where were you and what did you look like? I took quite a few shots.
    Baby humpback, baby humpback!
    Down the sewer, down the sewer!
  • Options
    So who else snuck way up front after the show started?

I happened to get my hands on some U2 hospitality suite tickets. What did that mean? Well ..... you could go in and get free drinks in the U2 hospitality room at the show ..... get this ...... "during the hours that Pearl Jam was playing"

I gave them to friends that were with us who were there more for U2.
    Supposedly the Edge went in there for a short bit and Kid Rock was hanging out in there.
    The friends I gave it to said they came right out of there and were on the floor level ...... walked straight up to the front with no problem.
    Ended up right against the stage.
    Michael Franti
  • Options
    Have any of the youtube vids been posted?

sorry if they have

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZpdIvIyEeU&mode=related&search=
    Michael Franti
  • Options
    dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,285
    krzzzymary wrote:
    However ..... I had a great run in with Laird Hamilton twice on Maui.
    A girlfriend of mine also had a "great run in" with Lord Laird....while in the GA pit.

She was one or two back from the rail (she was #20-something in line so she earned her position). She's not a PJ fan but was rocking out anyway (as far as she's concerned, good musak is good musak), when she felt this "massive wall of something" pushing it's way past her trying to get to the front. Understandably she was annoyed, turned to see what the "massive wall of something" was and saw this huge, good looking, blonde guy saying something about he's got to get to the front and say hi to his "friend, Eddie". First thing in her mind was if you're a friend then WTF are you doing in GA instead of being backstage? And no you're not getting in front of me and get your fucking elbows out of my ribcage!

Someone recognized him, then she recognized him, all the while he was apologizing profusely; he just wanted to let Eddie know that he was there. Then all was well in the GA pit and the masses continued to rock on.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    dharma69 wrote:
    A girlfriend of mine also had a "great run in" with Lord Laird....while in the GA pit.

She was one or two back from the rail (she was #20-something in line so she earned her position). She's not a PJ fan but was rocking out anyway (as far as she's concerned, good musak is good musak), when she felt this "massive wall of something" pushing it's way past her trying to get to the front. Understandably she was annoyed, turned to see what the "massive wall of something" was and saw this huge, good looking, blonde guy saying something about he's got to get to the front and say hi to his "friend, Eddie". First thing in her mind was if you're a friend then WTF are you doing in GA instead of being backstage? And no you're not getting in front of me and get your fucking elbows out of my ribcage!

Someone recognized him, then she recognized him, all the while he was apologizing profusely; he just wanted to let Eddie know that he was there. Then all was well in the GA pit and the masses continued to rock on.

I wondered where he was watching the show from?
    I heard that he had to stand in the will call line for like a half hour and missed some of Pearl Jam.
    Did Ed ever see him up there?

I actually got to talk to him for a while.

My oh my ..... Lord Laird is right!
    Better looking in person if you can imagine that!!!!!!
    Michael Franti
  • Options
    dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,285
    krzzzymary wrote:
    I wondered where he was watching the show from?
    I heard that he had to stand in the will call line for like a half hour and missed some of Pearl Jam.
    Did Ed ever see him up there?

I actually got to talk to him for a while.

My oh my ..... Lord Laird is right!
    Better looking in person if you can imagine that!!!!!!
    I don't know if they made contact....

They were at the front of the "ovaries" (what we U2'ers have affectionately dubbed them) in front of the main stage on the Adam side.

My girlfriend's perhaps 5'5"....so to her, Lord Laird was quite HUGE!

She also said that he was quite nice....once he removed his elbows from her ribcage.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    Thanks!

Where were you and what did you look like? I took quite a few shots.

We were about 6-7 people back from the stage, in the inner circle, on Mike's side, during U2 and a little more centered during PJ.

We are both tall, around 6ft, I am wearing the turquoise Avocado shirt and have long dark hair. Lori was wearing the surfrider white/green PJ, is blond, but had on a green and white visor with a Hawaiian print on it. It's should make us easier to spot.

Let me know is you find anything.