Options

*** U2 / Pearl Jam Hawaii Fanviews Here December 9, 2006 ***

Comments

• Options
    dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,285
    bonowall wrote:
    BAJAMAMA - or whatever der Kommaser calls herself scares me!
    !!!@_@...oh no you didn't just go there...@_@!!!

Must go laugh now....
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    bonowallbonowall Posts: 116
    dharma69 wrote:
    !!!@_@...oh no you didn't just go there...@_@!!!

Must go laugh now....

Why, you know i'm right....that's the crazy chick who told me off - see my earlier posts about it.

You know her? You're not her are ya?
    HAWAII BABY!!!!!!

MySpace:
    www.myspace.com/greendisease06

Web Site:
    www.wallsstreetjournal.net

Proud Volunteer of:
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    J_NPJ_NP Posts: 9
    F'n_Circus wrote:
    well, with this logic, then I guess once you've seen a u2 show, you've seen them all.....

yes, I guess PJ fans are somewhat spoiled, because we DON'T get the same show all the time, we DON'T get the same songs, in the same order, in back to back shows. Some went to 3 U2 shows, in different parts of the US, and STILL received the same show.

me, I don't have a desire to see U2. not since Joshua Tree anyway........

Jesus , that was not that radical , We are only talkin bout here the US fucking shows , U2 went all over the globe on this tour ..... And to begin there was 2 very different shows , with different Stages , Indoor and Stadiums . Look at a u2 show in like Boston , then try to see anything like in Paris , except for 8 or 9 songs , Or between a show in London and São Paulo , except for songs and both being in stadiums

And Indeed this is known by all u2 fans and people who work with them , they have a problem of not changin their set too much , with such a long great catalogue they could change more ....... But for the ones interested , since someone here noticed the DVD , and starting to say U2 kept the same set , There was 10 different songs from the dvd , Now this may be almost nothing for ya ........ And also even 4 songs from the previous show in Japan , which they could the same set in Honolulu But

Ask me wouldn't PJ fans who don't receive a show for ages , wouldn't they bad if they didn't receive Alive , Black , Daughter , I Am Mine ......... U2 had not only to play the Album's tour songs , and there are songs like Streets , Pride , One , that if they aren't in the show , there is something missing about a u2 show
  • Options
    bonowall wrote:
    Why, you know i'm right....that's the crazy chick who told me off - see my earlier posts about it.

You know her? You're not her are ya?
    Uhhhh....no, I'm not her...

Since I'm on the site I'm aware of her.

I'll have another look at your earlier post!

FaceSpace
  • Options
    nevermind
    "let's hug it out, bitch."

"and onward goes this thing of ours."
  • Options
    I might have an explanation for "the same U2 show over and over business"

Did anyone else notice during U2 the sound of a rhythm guitar when there was no Rhythm guitarist, or the sounds of a tambourine...when there was absolutely no tambourines on stage, or in fact the sounds of a keyboard being played...there was a keyboard on stage...but no-one near it.

Disappointing. Maybe it was just me hearing things. At least Eddie had a tambourine...well until he destroyed it again. He must get through a lot.
  • Options
    1Vedhead1Vedhead Posts: 147
    DrPots wrote:
    IAt least Eddie had a tambourine...well until he destroyed it again. He must get through a lot.

LOL, yeah, there's probably a "tambourine wrangler" on tour with them..
    LA 7/9/06 & 7/10/06
    The Gorge 7/22/06 & 7/23/06
    Antwerp 8/30/06
    Bridge 2 10/22/06
    Honolulu 12/2/06 & 12/9/06
    Munich 6/12/07
    Katowice 6/13/07, London 6/18/07, Lollapalooza 8/07, LA (EV) 4/12/08 & 4/13/08, Ouside Lands 09
  • Options
    DrPots wrote:

Did anyone else notice during U2 the sound of a rhythm guitar when there was no Rhythm guitarist, or the sounds of a tambourine...when there was absolutely no tambourines on stage, or in fact the sounds of a keyboard being played...there was a keyboard on stage...but no-one near it.

Disappointing. Maybe it was just me hearing things. At least Eddie had a tambourine...well until he destroyed it again. He must get through a lot.

C'mon silly, you should know that by now....

It was U3 - they are the hidden men of musical magic!
    HAWAII BABY!!!!!!

MySpace:

Web Site:

Proud Volunteer of:
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,700
    J_NP wrote:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=fQRyeFwXP5g Put in 0:38
    And this was in 78

Bono sounds like Robert Smith from The Cure. :)
  • Options
    dharma69 wrote:
    Good point there...

Hawaii (and New Zealand and Australia and Japan) had not had their Vertigo fix because of the tour being postponed. For the masses, that was their first show. And you think they're going to change their program just because you've seen it 3 times already when some haven't even seen it once?

If you make it your business to see the same band that puts on a production the scale and the sheer magnitude of the likes of U2's show, are you really surprised that you saw the same thing? Really? It's a production. It's a production with a message. That's their gig and that was their show.

I imagine that those who were seeing it for the first time (and even those that were seeing it for the fourth) enjoyed themselves enough for those who didn't.

I totally get this and you have a good point. It is a big production and more planning has to go into it. I think since I had seen U2 twice in and around LA I just thought they would shake it up a little more. Throw in a surprise or two with it being the last show and all. I love their stuff... not a hater by any means.

Also, as 1Vedhead and F'n Circus mentioned -- we are spoiled, we never get the same show twice. It just doesn't happen. So maybe we were expecting too much with a production of that size.

And when it comes to "U2 Opens for PJ" -- well, this is a PJ site and we love our band. (-;

No harm, no foul.

And to wrap it all up, despite Der Kommesar, we met TONS of cool U2 fans. You guys know how to have a good time... we should do it again sometime!!
    "Holly f**k, that was so amazing, I just forgot who I came here to see!!" - Courtesy of the guy in the U2 t-shirt standing next to me in Aloha Stadium, Post PJ
  • Options
    1Vedhead wrote:
    LOL, yeah, there's probably a "tambourine wrangler" on tour with them..

Heeee, hee, he. Tambourine wrangler....
    "Holly f**k, that was so amazing, I just forgot who I came here to see!!" - Courtesy of the guy in the U2 t-shirt standing next to me in Aloha Stadium, Post PJ
  • Options
    FnCircusFnCircus Posts: 439
    J_NP wrote:
    Ask me wouldn't PJ fans who don't receive a show for ages , wouldn't they bad if they didn't receive Alive , Black , Daughter , I Am Mine ......... U2 had not only to play the Album's tour songs , and there are songs like Streets , Pride , One , that if they aren't in the show , there is something missing about a u2 show
    believe it or not, there are people on this Pit who do bitch becuse they get those songs.........

and yes, it wasn't that radical, I'm sure they differ in some ways. But i went to the U2 setlist site and when I see that the whole leg essentially had the same set of songs, but different tags.......

I'm sure U2 is a great band to some. just not to me, since Joshua Tree.......
  • Options
    DrPots wrote:

I might have an explanation for "this kind of comment" but I'll keep it to me

Anyway , I'm willing to give u a chance to put some sense in ur words , Care to elaborate ? Which songs this happened ? Or Don't Tell me ur head was making noises ? Coz there's a medical explanation for this ....

And Please don't tell it was on WGRY Wild Horses
  • Options
    F'n_Circus wrote:
    believe it or not, there are people on this Pit who do bitch becuse they get those songs.........

and yes, it wasn't that radical, I'm sure they differ in some ways. But i went to the U2 setlist site and when I see that the whole leg essentially had the same set of songs, but different tags.......

I'm sure U2 is a great band to some. just not to me, since Joshua Tree.......

But that's normal , People in U2 boards also have this kind of feeling .... I think any fans in band boards feel this way , coz they would love to get hidden gems back

But the point is , Not Fans who have like several chances of hearing these songs , but like I said , In countries where PJ only have a chance to play 1x in like 8 years , Imagine The People who never had the chance to experience live their biggest known songs or hits whatever ..... I think it would disappoint them
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    J_NP wrote:
    Jesus , that was not that radical , We are only talkin bout here the US fucking shows , U2 went all over the globe on this tour ..... And to begin there was 2 very different shows , with different Stages , Indoor and Stadiums . Look at a u2 show in like Boston , then try to see anything like in Paris , except for 8 or 9 songs , Or between a show in London and São Paulo , except for songs and both being in stadiums

And Indeed this is known by all u2 fans and people who work with them , they have a problem of not changin their set too much , with such a long great catalogue they could change more ....... But for the ones interested , since someone here noticed the DVD , and starting to say U2 kept the same set , There was 10 different songs from the dvd , Now this may be almost nothing for ya ........ And also even 4 songs from the previous show in Japan , which they could the same set in Honolulu But

U2 Pacific leg: 13 shows, 33 songs (and they opened EVERY show with the same song)
    PJ Pacific leg: 15 shows (counting the secret one and the U2 opening), 99 songs!

Whole Vertigo U2 tour: 133 shows, 60 songs...(60! :eek: I saw more in the 16 European PJ shows I attended! and I wasn't even in Marseille :()
    Whole PJ tour: no final figure but 85 shows and even before pacific, 140+ different songs

and that's before we even talk about the order or the variety and spontaneity of stage antics!

now I think it comes down to what you want from a rock show:
    Music and raw emotions or a Spectacle.

For my parts, I take my spectacles at the theatre (and even there I 'd much rather see a Royal Court/Almeida/Donmar/National drama to a West End musical).
    So to me the lesson is:
    maybe go to 1 U2 show per tour
    And go to as many PJ ones as you can!

btw, I didn't compile the stats, other people did..just found them on the web:
    http://www.pjbootstrading.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2251&sid=82a7a51d7c076ec63e0a1bebecef4379
    http://www.theskyiscrape.com/index.php
    http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/Vertigo_Tour.html
  • Options
    onemorshow wrote:
    LukinTimer wrote:

Ditto on "NEXT TIME U2 OPENS FOR PJ!!!!"

hey you ,cant believe its over.had so much fun.glad we all hung together in front to show pj support.you and lori are so lucky.i told justin about your surfing day.he wished he was there to say hi to mike.he really likes mike alot.next time, pj plays solo and all night long on the beach.lol

Hey Jack.... it was incredible. Thanks for sharing the fun in "Holding Pen #3" and in the "inner circle" -- wow, it was awesome. And thanks for the McCready pick... that was very generous. It also meant that when I found one I could give it to Lori!!! So she thanks you too!!

Can't wait for the next show!!
  • Options
    Pegasus wrote:
    U2 Pacific leg: 13 shows, 33 songs (and they opened EVERY show with the same song)
    PJ Pacific leg: 15 shows (counting the secret one and the U2 opening), 99 songs!

and that's before we even talk about the order or the variety and spontaneity of stage antics!

For my parts, I take my spectacles at the theatre (and even there I 'd much rather see a Royal Court/Almeida/Donmar/National drama to a West End musical).
    So to me the lesson is:

1st Of All , I'm not turning this into a U2 X Pearl Jam thing , U guys are , and I know some of u are crazy to see hittin PJ , or sayin U2 is much better , this is stupid ..... Both are very different bands but with one thing in common I see , good music comes out of it

Anyway but back with what u said , Actually U could say more , not only The Pacific Leg , but the whole South America and Mexico Tour had the some opening , and so were most of the shows , Why ? Because the song established itself as the best opening , In Fact Vertigo actually had the most opening song changes , in the 80's , U2 opened every single show of the Joshua Tree tour with the same song , Same with the ZOOTV - wich I think all u guys must have heard , coz in fact Pearl jam opened for them before on it - 2 years of tour , and only one song opening .

That's what's U2 is about , they want to make their concert as great as possible , and the fact of changing one song for another , It's mediocre to think a rock show need this , coz as u got it right , It's all about the energy , So Who cares the fuck if they open 1000 shows with the same song , as long as it's exciting , Well Played and rockin

And finally just to ilustrate a bit , since u're so obsessed with order and numbers about setlists well ....... Of course there are iddenticals .....

Honolulu : City of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, Elevation, I Will Follow, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - In A Little While, Beautiful Day - Sgt. Pepper's - Blackbird, Angel of Harlem, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, The First Time, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, Love and Peace or Else, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet the Blue Sky, Miss Sarajevo, Pride, Where the Streets Have No Name, One
    Encore(s): The Fly, Mysterious Ways, With or Without You, Window In the Skies, The Saints Are Coming (w/Billie Joe Armstrong), Rockin' In the Free World (w/Pearl Jam), All I Want Is You

Dublin : Vertigo, All Because of You, Gloria, Elevation, An Cat Dubh - Into the Heart, Beautiful Day - Blackbird, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Original of the Species, Bad - Dirty Old Town, City of Blinding Lights, Miracle Drug, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, Love and Peace or Else, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet the Blue Sky, Running to Stand Still - Happy Birthday - Walk On, Pride, Where the Streets Have No Name, One - Unchained Melody
    Encore(s): Zoo Station, The Fly, With or Without You, Vertigo, Yahweh, 40
  • Options
    Not sure which songs specifically they all blended into one! ;-)

In all seriousness, I arrived at the thought just before my wife who turned to me during one of the last sets and said "who's got the tambourine?"

I was impressed with myself, she is usually the critic as she plays in a lot of orchestras etc.

One part I do remember was where Larry Mullen was out playing the Tom Tom drum front stage, and in addition there was the sound of a base drum...only he didn't have one.

This is turning into a bit of a U2 knocking post. I do actually like U2 quite alot. I also like what they stand for. There weren't many people brave enough or intelligent enough to speak out in the 80's against people such as the IRA and now their work with Make poverty history. If only more people in the public eye would use their influence for good. (off topic preach over)
  • Options
    LukinTimer wrote:
    I totally get this and you have a good point. It is a big production and more planning has to go into it. I think since I had seen U2 twice in and around LA I just thought they would shake it up a little more. Throw in a surprise or two with it being the last show and all. I love their stuff... not a hater by any means.

Also, as 1Vedhead and F'n Circus mentioned -- we are spoiled, we never get the same show twice. It just doesn't happen. So maybe we were expecting too much with a production of that size.

And when it comes to "U2 Opens for PJ" -- well, this is a PJ site and we love our band. (-;

No harm, no foul.

And to wrap it all up, despite Der Kommesar, we met TONS of cool U2 fans. You guys know how to have a good time... we should do it again sometime!!
    U2 fans are quite cool...I know....I'm one of them.

Pearl Jam fans are quite cool....I know....I'm one of them.

One band gives the social and the spiritual; the other band gives flat out rock and roll frenzy...

Both bands, both fans....that's the combination of a lifetime. My siggy says it all.

And the "Der Kommesar" bit is killing me!

FaceSpace
  • Options
    J_NP wrote:
    And finally just to ilustrate a bit , since u're so obsessed with order and numbers about setlists well ....... Of course there are iddenticals .....

Honolulu : City of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, Elevation, I Will Follow, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - In A Little While, Beautiful Day - Sgt. Pepper's - Blackbird, Angel of Harlem, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, The First Time, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, Love and Peace or Else, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet the Blue Sky, Miss Sarajevo, Pride, Where the Streets Have No Name, One
    Encore(s): The Fly, Mysterious Ways, With or Without You, Window In the Skies, The Saints Are Coming (w/Billie Joe Armstrong), Rockin' In the Free World (w/Pearl Jam), All I Want Is You

Dublin : Vertigo, All Because of You, Gloria, Elevation, An Cat Dubh - Into the Heart, Beautiful Day - Blackbird, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Original of the Species, Bad - Dirty Old Town, City of Blinding Lights, Miracle Drug, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, Love and Peace or Else, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet the Blue Sky, Running to Stand Still - Happy Birthday - Walk On, Pride, Where the Streets Have No Name, One - Unchained Melody
    Encore(s): Zoo Station, The Fly, With or Without You, Vertigo, Yahweh, 40
    I'm not obsessed, I'm just pointing out a huge difference that to me illustrate the whole different approach to 'Live' shows.

And I notice that you had to take 2 shows 18 months and 5000 miles apart to be able to get that variety...they played 3 shows in Dublin with an almost identical setlist to one another..

I do realise that because their shows are very staged, it's much more difficult to change.
    But that's the point.
    PJ chooses not to stage their show and keep the variety and spontaneity..I much prefer it that way...and so I believe are most people here, that's why they are still fans of this band! (I know I stopped caring about U2 precisely when they started turning into a spectacle rather than a R&R band, i.e. just after Achtung Baby, which was already limit)
    Therefore of course we will criticize the other approach...and I'm sure there'd be plenty of U2 fans on the other hand that would criticize the fuck-ups at PJ shows (I love the fuck-ups :), precisely because it shows it's spontaneous and live).

anyway..I shouldn't post here..sorry..:o
  • Options
    DrPots wrote:

One part I do remember was where Larry Mullen was out playing the Tom Tom drum front stage, and in addition there was the sound of a base drum...only he didn't have one.

Oh Jeez ...... can't believe they found ...... u2's hidden drummer ....

http://gallery.u2005.com/2005%20-%20Vertigo%20Tour%2F2006-11-16%20-%20Adelaide%2FPB161072.JPG
  • Options
    Pegasus wrote:
    I'm not obsessed, I'm just pointing out a huge difference that to me illustrate the whole different approach to 'Live' shows.

And I notice that you had to take 2 shows 18 months and 5000 miles apart to be able to get that variety...they played 3 shows in Dublin with an almost identical setlist to one another..

I do realise that because their shows are very staged, it's much more difficult to change.
    But that's the point.
    PJ chooses not to stage their show and keep the variety and spontaneity..I much prefer it that way...and so I believe are most people here, that's why they are still fans of this band! (I know I stopped caring about U2 precisely when they started turning into a spectacle rather than a R&R band, i.e. just after Achtung Baby, which was already limit)
    Therefore of course we will criticize the other approach...and I'm sure there'd be plenty of U2 fans on the other hand that would criticize the fuck-ups at PJ shows (I love the fuck-ups :), precisely because it shows it's spontaneous and live).

anyway..I shouldn't post here..sorry..:o

Indeed there are very 2 different takes , but I finally would say this to close this discussion , with u2 there's no mid point , either u love them or hate them , it's quite hard to be a casual fan , except the ones who concentrate only in the albums , but with live shows , There's no casual fan , either people will love it or don't give too much for it .... Which I would say it's like the difference between like me in a PJ show and a u2 show , maybe it's coz I'm a real fan of the latter , thing is , I would have an absolutely great time in a PJ show , enjoy it , all the guitar sounds and the energy , but would end it there , There would still be somethin missing ...... Something I would only find in a u2 show , which is all that thing , the big intro of songs like Streets have no name , Everyone who goes for a u2 show for the last 19 years , know it's a must have moment , It wouldn't be a show a u2 show without Streets with no name ..... Basically is like that

And about Stopped bein rock'n roll and all , Ya know I like many believe Rock'n roll roots are on guitars , of course it's the heart of it , Indeed but ya know , the bit I know about RR , well at least the Punk rock view of it , it's that there is no rules , u just go with it like it's the last day , So How come just coz u start mixing other kind of sounds , eletronic noises and all in ur music makes it less Rock'n roll ? Well of course , traditional Rock is recognized as sounds of a Les Paul , But isn't Rock'n roll really about attitude ? Before any traditionalism , certain kind of a sound , I would say when u make a dancing , eletronic whatever kind of sound , and u're a rock band , I think that's a very rock'n roll thing , lot of balls and attitude

About the fuck-ups , Well as long as the music it's good , it's great energy and all , I don't see anyone seriously complainin

But still last shot :

Sydney : City Of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, Elevation, Until The End Of The World, New Year's Day, Beautiful Day - Here Comes the Sun, Yahweh, Walk On, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, Love and Peace or Else, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet the Blue Sky, Miss Sarajevo, Pride, Where the Streets Have No Name, One
    Encore(s): Zoo Station, The Fly, With or Without You - Love Will Tear Us Apart, The Saints Are Coming, Angel of Harlem, Kite

Compare with Honolulu
  • Options
    ok, I wasn't at the show but I collected those from reviews by U2 fans on U2 sites (just the PJ bits, each quote is from a different reviewer).
    The last one, beside being the only (slightly) negative one I found (really, I'm not censoring anything), is a MUST read, I highlighted the bits why :).
    sorry that's a bit long:
    As such, the vibe for the show was great, but I was concerned since it was a very easy ticket that either it wouldn't sell out or the crowd would be a little blase. Uh, no problem there. The energy was fantastic! Which brings me to Pearl Jam. I have always respected their integrity without ever having seen them, though lots of my friends have said-"you have to see them". Now I understand why. Simply stated, Eddie Vedder was born to be a rock singer and his band SHREADS. Them being the opener totally raised the bar for the show, and the encore of "Rockin in the Free World" was a buzz generating highlight. Especially the end. Bono-in typical Bono form-says "i don't know how to end the song". And Eddie-without missing a beat-shouts "I love the Edge" which they then use as a chorus to end the song, as if it had been written that way all along. When you hear the boot you will know what I mean but trust me-IT WAS PERFECT, and one of those moments you could not plan. Just one of those great moments you hope for in a show ending, TOUR ending show.
    Then Pearl Jam came on and a sonic assualt was unleashed on the world. Like everyone, I know the hits and thought they were solid back in the 90's. Had this band stayed on a major label, they would be the biggest band in the world right now. The only band that I've seen come close in the last 5 years is White Stripes for pure rock and roll. I was stunned.(...)The overall U2 show was flawless and one of the best I've ever seen but I have to give the edge to Pearl Jam as the better rock and roll band on this night. I'd love to see U2 rock a stadium in Springsteen style with less of a show and a bigger focus on the music.
    After a blistering hour long opening set by Pearl Jam, that got the audience all riled up, I thought to myself "U2 are going to have to step up and kick some major ass to top that"
    Pearl Jam Was Insane(Great Show and openning band)
    Rocking in the Freeworld was amazing. Best version I've ever heard since watching Neil play it.
    What a show from beginning to end including Eddie really won the crowd over with his dedication to the Island by singing one of bruddah Iz's songs, "Hawaii '77" Very emotional and touching for us Locals.
    Pearl Jam should get the utmost respect for putting on an amazing opening concert. Eddie's voice was great along with the stellar performances of Mike McCready on guitar and Mike Cameron on drums. It was an electric experience that I will not forget for a long time. Mahalo PJ!!
    Pearl Jam, what a treat! One of the few bands I admire that I have never had a chance to see live. Boy have I missed out over the years. They blasted into a hit filled barrage of rock and roll at its finest! Setting the bar high for the main event that was to come. In the 25 U2 shows I have attended I have never seen an opening band get such a reception from the U2 faithful! A packed and loud house, showing their appreciation for a band that gave its all and rocked the house!! Eddie and the boys you deserved it! Thanks!
    Eddie rocked it like crazy and with a little Hawaiian flavor - Pearl Jam was sick! However U2 was very ordinary if not boring. It was a disappointment because expectations were high - they have been great every time I have seen them...oh well.
    Pearl Jam was also great and I was happy to hear their tribute to Israel Kamakawiwaole
    Rocko & The Devils and Pearl Jam kicked of a wicked night!!!
    To keep this short, I'll only mention what were, for me, the highlights of the show:
    1. While the whole Pearl Jam set was fabulous, their rendition of The Who's "Baba O'Reilly" at the end knocked my socks off.
    (...)
    4. "Rockin' In the Free World" with Eddie Vedder - again, knocked my socks off, as did "The Saints Are Coming" with Billie Joe. Seriously, how much better can it possibly get?!?
    That was possibly the best show I have ever seen.I was blown away by U2's performance and Pearl jams,but to get those two on stage together unbelievable and to get Billy Joe on stage.I don't think I need to say more.
    The Pearl Jam setlist was as close as they get to a greatest hits show -- included Corduroy, Even Flow, Better Man, World Wide Suicide, Crazy Mary, Alive, and Baba O'Riley to close out. Nice set, though some of PJ fans were complaining that they were only given an hour. As an aside, I stopped for shave ice in Haleiwa earlier in the week and PJ bassist Jeff Ament was there, complaining to a friend about PJ being purely an opening act. (He also said that U2 and PJ had done some studio work together, possibly serving as a fanclub-only release. He also had some not-so-nice things to say about Edge's guitar work on said collaboration...) (...)2nd encore rocked mightily, though I kinda felt bad for Bille Joe. Travel all that way for four minutes, and then not invited to stay on stage with Eddie and Mike from PJ? Rockin' was a bit of a haphazard mess, but that's what it's supposed to be.
  • Options
    U2 and PJ studio work? That will be interesting and maybe cool.

I don't know where to start with this thread. I wish I could post at work.

Enjoyed the discussion.

PJ vs. U2

Organic rock concert vs. massively produced rock concert

Let the discussion commence...oh, wait a second.

Let's get back on topic...why does Bonowall always run into the worst of other groups' fans. DMB now U2. We need to protect him better.

Cheers to you, Bonowall, for the great naratives. I feel that I was there with you sipping Mai Tai's at Duke's...oh, wait a second, I did do that once right before I left on 12/3. I just hope you didn't freeze out your other roommates. ;)
    "Underneath this smile lies everything - all my hopes, anger, pride and shame."
  • Options
    bonowall wrote:
    And here are the pictures of that experience....

GREAT SHOTS I think...(if i do say so myself...lol)

http://picasaweb.google.com/cwall2006/U2ShowPt1

http://picasaweb.google.com/cwall2006/U2Pt2

Holy shit man!! WOW those are some GREAT shots!! I wish my camera was that good. I haven't gotten my pics developed yet (yes I'm still old school). I know I got a few decent ones tho. There is one shot of Larry behind his kit that you got. OMFG!

It was nice finally meeting you at the preparty on the 2nd. If I saw u and that show and didn't say anything, I'm sorry. I was sleep deprived and having only met you the one person prob didn't realize it was you. I know I saw Mon in the lineup in the morning. I KNEW you guys had snuck in cause I was talking to everyone in the line before we were put in the pens, but since you were behind me and were fellow PJ freaks I decided to shut my mouth.

I got some great pics at the show on the 2nd tho since I was up front with my girl Marcy (aka rustedsigns131)...Thanks again girlie! We gotta hook up again sometime, that was soo fun. I'll post those when I get them uploaded.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    F'n_Circus wrote:
    well, with this logic, then I guess once you've seen a u2 show, you've seen them all.....

yes, I guess PJ fans are somewhat spoiled, because we DON'T get the same show all the time, we DON'T get the same songs, in the same order, in back to back shows. Some went to 3 U2 shows, in different parts of the US, and STILL received the same show.

me, I don't have a desire to see U2. not since Joshua Tree anyway........

It was disappointing to see a show where so many fans were of the mindset that it was "we" and "them". There were quite a few of us who appreciate great music and were thrilled to see two superb, and very different, bands.

It was my first U2 show. It was my first Pearl Jam show. I was not diasppointed by either and both did exactly what I expected. There are many different paths to the spiritual moment when music makes the world disappear and raises the social awareness (Springsteen and Ani Difranco come to mind). Both bands had those moments the other night.
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    LukinTimer wrote:
    I know. We STILL can't believe it. Did that happen?

It really was amazing how many people had great experiences running into the guys in the band... and they were always so gracious.

Unbelievable.

O.K. Sorry to cut in on your U-Jam fight - But did Mike eventually manage to catch a wave?
  • Options
    Pegasus wrote:

Whole Vertigo U2 tour: 133 shows, 60 songs...(60! :eek: I saw more in the 16 European PJ shows I attended! and I wasn't even in Marseille :()
    Whole PJ tour: no final figure but 85 shows and even before pacific, 140+ different songs

now I think it comes down to what you want from a rock show:
    Music and raw emotions or a Spectacle.

So to me the lesson is:

good work on that, and i agree...why see more than 1 u2 show???

1 u2 show for $165(resevered) or 3 PJ(reserved)shows for the same price($55x3)...give or take a dollar

the choice is obvious

pearl jam are the best band...u2 should be opening for them! lmao ;)
  • Options
    I KNEW you guys had snuck in cause I was talking to everyone in the line before we were put in the pens, but since you were behind me and were fellow PJ freaks I decided to shut my mouth.

Uhh...."snuck in"??? no, no, no...let's not even PRETEND to go that route on this thread because I am VERY sensative about the treatment given to us the whole night in that lovely (elitist) pen. We arrived there in the middle of what I call insanity or stupidity. Pen #1 was being corralled when we got there and #2 being migrated. Apparently there was confusion around when 1 ended and 2 began.

The solid "PEN" process was utterly ridiculous and flawed. in fact, the pen disappeared completely after the first round of waiters walked in (most of pen 1). I do remember seeing you in the AM in pen #1 though...it was in the morning..,asking security to go back and get ready or something. i was on the concrete beneath you - don't know if you saw us there.

I NEVER "SNUCK" anywhere - I was directed by security into the pen we were in.

I certainly hope that you would not imply i would do anything UNETHICAL to get closer to the stage at a show....I am not one of THOSE people.

Thank you,

PS - as a footnote, I suppose I should thank the many hospitable fans in pen #1 for sharing...oh wait, they didn't....even after asking still not getting anything. It was by blind chance (or fate) that we ended up talking to and bonding with the coolest mofos in the pen in the AM who made the rest of the 17 hour stint a fun one.

PPS - I'm impressed as well...you spoke to all 500 people in line...wow!
    HAWAII BABY!!!!!!

MySpace:

Web Site:

Proud Volunteer of:
  • Options
    einatshaul wrote:
    O.K. Sorry to cut in on your U-Jam fight - But did Mike eventually manage to catch a wave?

Hee, hee.

Well, yeah... kind of. It wasn't a thing of beauty, but he stayed up for a short ride.

He seemed to be having a good time. A big smile plastered on his face.

They were out for quite a while when one of the Kings of Leon (a couple of them were with Eddie & Mike) said "time for a Pina Colada break." To which Eddie replied, "okay, then we'll come back out again!"

PS - I like to think of the U-Jam fight as more of a "sharing of opinions." (-;
    Keeps me on my toes for all those times people say "Pearl Jam, they're still around?"