Options

Coolest/weirdest place if you've seen a concert

Comments

• Options
    BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,172
    Ed in the amphitheatre in taormina was cool 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,930
    I saw Sonic Youth play inside an anchorage of the Brooklyn Bridge.

Brooklyn Bridge Anchorage  Brooklyn bridge Brooklyn Anchorage

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,527
    This..

Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    jazzbo26jazzbo26 Framingham, MA Posts: 674
    Soundgarden in a replica of CBGB’s on the backlot of Paramount Studios in Hollywood
  • Options
    23scidoo said:
    This..

The very place
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    23scidoo said:
    This..

The very place

I'm old enough to have seen several shows there before it began to deteriorate.  It looked like this back then:
    UC Berkeley - Hearst Greek Theatre  Langan

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
     :D 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    edited June 2022
    I wanted so badly to see the Headstones at the Kingston Penitentiary but tickets were gone before they went on sale. 

News  Headstones  Page 2

surviving members of the Hip showed up and played Little Bones with Headstones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y95U02i-hNQ
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:
    23scidoo said:
    This..

The very place

I'm old enough to have seen several shows there before it began to deteriorate.  It looked like this back then:
    UC Berkeley - Hearst Greek Theatre  Langan

😁
  • Options
    I wanted so badly to see the Headstones at the Kingston Penitentiary but tickets were gone before they went on sale. 

News  Headstones  Page 2

surviving members of the Hip showed up and played Little Bones with Headstones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y95U02i-hNQ

Wow, cool!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,397
    I saw one of my favorite small/local bands in the basement of an art gallery at like 1:00am. That was an interesting experience. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,397
    I couldn’t make it to this one, but Highly Suspect played a cave once! Looked awesome and wish I could have gone. The Volcano Room in McMinnville, TN 

Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Seen a lot of shows but Pearl Jam at Estadio Nacional Julio Martinez Pradanos in Santiago, Chile comes to mind. 
    The stadium was notoriously used as a mass imprisonment, torture and extrajudicial execution facility by Pinochet following the 1973 military coup. 

That place had an aura. 

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,952
    I remember The Dead Milkmen played in a cemetery about 5 years ago on Halloween i think,
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    I would say most definitely the coolest place I've seen a show (and one of the very best shows I've seen) was Sun Ra and the Solar Arkestra doing a show in the planetarium in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park.  The music and the venue were literally out of this world! 
    Couldn't find photos of the show, but this gives you an idea:
    The Story of Sun Ras Egyptian Adventure  The Nation

California Academy of Sciences Planetarium Aquarium  Natural History  Museum San Francisco CA - Syska Hennessy Group

• Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    GlowGirl said:

Whoa, that sounds cool! When was that and what kind of event was it?  Like they just did it for the hell of it, or it was part of some bigger event?
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    I would say most definitely the coolest place I've seen a show (and one of the very best shows I've seen) was Sun Ra and the Solar Arkestra doing a show in the planetarium in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park.  The music and the venue were literally out of this world! 

California Academy of Sciences Planetarium Aquarium  Natural History  Museum San Francisco CA - Syska Hennessy Group

Holy Moly that takes the cake for me! That is epic, like literally dictionary definition of "epic", right there!  I may have to re-arrange my wish list if I ever find a time machine or transporter... cuz that would have been incredible!
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    I love this question! I really had to think about it... Most of these were at least interesting if not amazing, and only one nightmare:

I'll do the nightmare first: Waaaay back in the day there was a music conference in NYC called New Music Seminar. One year one of the showcase shows (several artists with same manager or label or from same country) was actually on a rented Staten Island Ferry. There was a buffet, an open bar, and like 4 bands. Long story short, the bands were fine, but first the food ran out, then the ALCOHOL ran out.  Once the alcohol ran out, most people were like "Ok, party over, we're outta here!" BUT... we're on a boat!  There is no leaving just cuz you're bored, don't like the band, or there's nothing to eat or drink.  First it was just funny, then people got restless, then people got pissed.

Finally it looked like we were pulling back into the dock, and everyone was relieved, but then we realized a) this was Staten Island's dock, not Manhattan's dock; and b) the boat got close to the dock but then stopped and everyown wondered why we weren't actually docking.... Then we all heard the metal saw screeching cutting through metal objects, and saw all the sparks, and heard the screeching guitars.... and realized there was one more band: Skinny Puppy.  So now the boat sat for another 40 min, no one could leave, no food, no drinks, no exit, and 2 or 3 people on the dock literally shredding metal clanging loud things together and screeching guitars for 40 min.

If Lyft ran a boat service at the time, they'd have made a FORTUNE with water taxi service back to Manhattan!

That was the most dramatic.  The rest I can't pick one of were:

Michael Franti, before he was solo or in Spearhead, was in one of the best bands ever: Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy.  One of my favorite shows I've ever ever ever gone to, was Disposable Heroes at a Korean buffet restaurant in Oakland, CA, where literally as we arrived the band was moving the tables with the empty buffet containers out of the way and figuring out how best to set up the instruments, but it was a KILLER show with probably 50 people max in the audience.

Ben Harper at Bimbos in San Francisco, it was a speakeasy club during Prohibition, but the coolest part (technically not the show but still) was I interviewed him for our college radio station in the kitchen which was this brass everything kitchen (including the floor I think), brass pots and pans everywhere, and people wheeling stuff all around the metal floor which meant sonically it was almost unusable because o fthe constant clatter because we were in a real functioning giant kitchen.  But the setting was cool as hell and Ben was super into it.

Gogol Bordello played the opening of an indie modern art museum in Atlanta, I think maybe 60 people were watching, and they slayed but they really were still making their name so it wasn't quite the right crowd, but what a wild setting.

By far the strangest was Hozier for a radio show but the sponsoring radio station held it at a private club for trillionaires in San Francisco so it was radio station contest winners (me and all the fans that went), but then it was all these absurdly bizarrely beautiful tan people with really expensive clothes, the show was in a literal library in the private club, but it had total "Eyes Wide Shut" vibes or "Assassin's Creed" vibes, like it was a cult and there were fancy rooms with sex workers in them down the hallways (not actually, but that's what it felt like was going on) and the various dining rooms and lounges were crazy fancy with absurdly beautful people lounging in them.  And there was a STRICT "No photos of any kind" rule and they emphasized with the contest winners over and over "Our guests are big on privacy, so if anyone sees you taking a pic even of a plant, your phone/camera will be taken away and we'll kick you out right away." So you just got that rich people sex club vibe.  And Hozier in the end was only allowed to play 3 songs to maybe 40 people.  Totally strange but very memorable.
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,930
    JH6056 said:
    GlowGirl said:

Whoa, that sounds cool! When was that and what kind of event was it?  Like they just did it for the hell of it, or it was part of some bigger event?
    I saw them in 1997. It was just them. Apparently, The Anchorage had many different arts and music events for a while. I don't think they do it anymore, though. I haven't heard of anything there in quite a while. Here is a blurb from a 1989 New Yorker article about the venue:

The Anchorage, a venue that is actually a seventy-foot-high brick-and-limestone-block structure that anchors the Brooklyn Bridge to the Brooklyn shore (there's another one on the Manhattan side). Described as resembling a Roman bath, the anchorage is technically where the bridge cables join metal plates lodged in the bridge foundation. Augustus Roebling, the first Chief Engineer of the bridge, envisioned the anchorage as "room for cavernous treasury vaults which... would be the safest in America and ample enough to house three-quarters of all the investments and securities in the country." He also designed the anchorage so that it could become a tiered retail-shop area. The Anchorage now hosts art installations (many sponsored by an arts organization called Creative Time) and musical events, such as "The Resonators," a piece composed by audio artists Yoshi Wada and Terry Fox specifically for performance at The Anchorage.

Creative Time was the organization that brought Sonic Youth there as well.
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    brianlux said:

Holy Moly that takes the cake for me! That is epic, like literally dictionary definition of "epic", right there!  I may have to re-arrange my wish list if I ever find a time machine or transporter... cuz that would have been incredible!

It was mind boggling, JH.  To add to the mystique, the band came marching in through a side door twirling whirley tubes.  For those not familiar with them:

The band created a very strange and amazing melody with these interesting instruments and when each band member reached their seat, they picked up their instrument (horn, bass, percussion, etc) and started playing a free jazz piece with total wild abandon.  All the while the stars and planets lit up the entire ceiling.  It was pure magic.  I so very much wish that had been filmed or recorded!

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,527
    Paradiso, Amsterdam..an old church, iconic venue in Europe..saw Primal Scream there, 2011..

Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,065
    JH6056 said:
    I love this question! I really had to think about it... Most of these were at least interesting if not amazing, and only one nightmare:

I'll do the nightmare first: Waaaay back in the day there was a music conference in NYC called New Music Seminar. One year one of the showcase shows (several artists with same manager or label or from same country) was actually on a rented Staten Island Ferry. There was a buffet, an open bar, and like 4 bands. Long story short, the bands were fine, but first the food ran out, then the ALCOHOL ran out.  Once the alcohol ran out, most people were like "Ok, party over, we're outta here!" BUT... we're on a boat!  There is no leaving just cuz you're bored, don't like the band, or there's nothing to eat or drink.  First it was just funny, then people got restless, then people got pissed.

Finally it looked like we were pulling back into the dock, and everyone was relieved, but then we realized a) this was Staten Island's dock, not Manhattan's dock; and b) the boat got close to the dock but then stopped and everyown wondered why we weren't actually docking.... Then we all heard the metal saw screeching cutting through metal objects, and saw all the sparks, and heard the screeching guitars.... and realized there was one more band: Skinny Puppy.  So now the boat sat for another 40 min, no one could leave, no food, no drinks, no exit, and 2 or 3 people on the dock literally shredding metal clanging loud things together and screeching guitars for 40 min.

If Lyft ran a boat service at the time, they'd have made a FORTUNE with water taxi service back to Manhattan!

That was the most dramatic.  The rest I can't pick one of were:

Michael Franti, before he was solo or in Spearhead, was in one of the best bands ever: Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy.  One of my favorite shows I've ever ever ever gone to, was Disposable Heroes at a Korean buffet restaurant in Oakland, CA, where literally as we arrived the band was moving the tables with the empty buffet containers out of the way and figuring out how best to set up the instruments, but it was a KILLER show with probably 50 people max in the audience.

Ben Harper at Bimbos in San Francisco, it was a speakeasy club during Prohibition, but the coolest part (technically not the show but still) was I interviewed him for our college radio station in the kitchen which was this brass everything kitchen (including the floor I think), brass pots and pans everywhere, and people wheeling stuff all around the metal floor which meant sonically it was almost unusable because o fthe constant clatter because we were in a real functioning giant kitchen.  But the setting was cool as hell and Ben was super into it.

Gogol Bordello played the opening of an indie modern art museum in Atlanta, I think maybe 60 people were watching, and they slayed but they really were still making their name so it wasn't quite the right crowd, but what a wild setting.

By far the strangest was Hozier for a radio show but the sponsoring radio station held it at a private club for trillionaires in San Francisco so it was radio station contest winners (me and all the fans that went), but then it was all these absurdly bizarrely beautiful tan people with really expensive clothes, the show was in a literal library in the private club, but it had total "Eyes Wide Shut" vibes or "Assassin's Creed" vibes, like it was a cult and there were fancy rooms with sex workers in them down the hallways (not actually, but that's what it felt like was going on) and the various dining rooms and lounges were crazy fancy with absurdly beautful people lounging in them.  And there was a STRICT "No photos of any kind" rule and they emphasized with the contest winners over and over "Our guests are big on privacy, so if anyone sees you taking a pic even of a plant, your phone/camera will be taken away and we'll kick you out right away." So you just got that rich people sex club vibe.  And Hozier in the end was only allowed to play 3 songs to maybe 40 people.  Totally strange but very memorable.
    Gogol Bordello plays crazy places all the time.  I am surprised they aren't mentioned more on here, lol!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    They put on concerts at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery in Los Angeles.  There is a huge lawn that can accommodate a large stage and a crown of about 4,000 people.  I have seen Flaming Lips as well as The National there.

They allow onsite parking, and most of the spaces are on roads that are right next to the burial sites.  It is a bit spooky parking next to a grave and then walking past other graves to get to the show area.

Another trippy concert experience was seeing Prince at the House of Blues in Hollywood.  Though it was a normal venue, Prince played until 5AM (he came on around 2:30AM).  When we left, the sun had already come out!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    They put on concerts at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery in Los Angeles.  There is a huge lawn that can accommodate a large stage and a crown of about 4,000 people.  I have seen Flaming Lips as well as The National there.

They allow onsite parking, and most of the spaces are on roads that are right next to the burial sites.  It is a bit spooky parking next to a grave and then walking past other graves to get to the show area.

Another trippy concert experience was seeing Prince at the House of Blues in Hollywood.  Though it was a normal venue, Prince played until 5AM (he came on around 2:30AM).  When we left, the sun had already come out!
    Was Prince slated to come on that late or was he just "fashionably late"?
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:

It was a show after his arena show that night.  They needed to transfer all the gear from the arena to the HOB.  It was pretty much known that he'd come on super late.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:

It was a show after his arena show that night.  They needed to transfer all the gear from the arena to the HOB.  It was pretty much known that he'd come on super late.
    That is well worth it then!
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,848
    JOEJOEJOE said:

I'd liked to be buried there
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:

I'd liked to be buried there
    It is the final resting place of Johnny Ramone & Chris Cornell.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,848
    I see. Cool.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148
    Jabba’s sail barge. 
    www.cluthelee.com