Job Interview - General advice please

dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
edited December 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Hey everyone,

Perhaps you are familiar with me and that I had my own radio show (briefly, for 7 months) at a pretty underground and rickety radio station called UtahFM until it folded. There was/is a thread around these parts on it but it's most likely buried now because there has been nothing to post about it for a while.

Anyway, I recently submitted an application to be the weekend on-air announcer for the University of Utah's public broadcasting station. I had to do an audition where I read a script over the phone to a message line for their review. I've been selected as 1 of 3 finalists and will be interviewed after Thanksgiving. The position would be from 2 - 7 pm on Saturdays.

I'm grateful and looking for any advice, tips, or good info you can give if you have any. It's been quite a long time since I have interviewed for a job. Now, while I don't need this job financially, it is a very important opportunity to me as it appears to be a great opening to continuing my career in broadcasting. An opening that will be more reputable too.

Suggestions on what to wear? I don't want to overdress, but I want to look professional...

Also, would it lessen my chances if I made it known that I work a full-time job during the week? I'm trying to schedule my interview and am wondering if I should openly tell them that I would need to schedule time off to make the interview.

Lastly, any advice/suggestions you can give as to how to answer interview questions is greatly appreciated. (again, I'm very rusty and am beginning to get nervous).
7/2/06 - Denver, CO
6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Eye contact, be relaxed, smile , take your time answering, confidence.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I've interviewed plenty of people and these are my observations. Now take these for what's it worth, just things I observe and almost eliminate people before the interview is over:

First thing bring a pen and preferably a notepad as well. Usually the first question I ask is if they have a pen.

Make sure your hair is neat and trimmed and your fingernails are clean.

Shake your interviewers hand firmly and make eye contact.

Don't ever offer too much information when you're asked a queestion. Answer it but don't go on and on elaborating.

Turn off or mute your cellphone.

You do want to paint yourself in a positive light to the interviewer but don't try and bullshit them that you are the greatest thhing since sliced bread. They see right through it.

The last thing that really impresses me is when the interview is over how the person asks when they will find out about the job. For example, I have had people say something like "so hopefully I'll be hearing from you". Wrong. I prefer someone a bit more authoritative. Something like "when will you be making your decision and when can I expect to hear from you"?

Hope some of this may help. Oh and also send a follow up thank you letter or email the following day.
  • TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,387
    DS1119 wrote:
    I've interviewed plenty of people and these are my observations. Now take these for what's it worth, just things I observe and almost eliminate people before the interview is over:

Great list.
    DS1119 wrote:

Better yet, leave it in the car.

I'd like to add one more to this list. Be on time. When I say on time, I mean 10-15 minutes prior to your scheduled interview.
  • I always like it when I get asked a few questions -- items about the company or the position that show the candidate actually put some solid thought into the opportunity and has an interest.

One time when I was interviewing I got carried away with asking questions and the guy actually said "Wait, I am the one doing the interviewing here" and he laughed.
    And then hired me. :)

Good luck!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Bring multiple copies of your resume with one of those note pad cover thingys. Dress professionally, wear a tie. Follow it up with a thank you letter to each person who interviewed you. Thank them for their time and let them know you're available for any follow up questions or additional information. And you look forward to working with them. Be calm. Don't let on about you're full time job or having to take time off to interview. They want to meet with you, make yourself available to them not make them feel like they're burdening you. Be 5 to 10 minutes early.

Good luck!

Peace
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,966
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Hey everyone,

Perhaps you are familiar with me and that I had my own radio show (briefly, for 7 months) at a pretty underground and rickety radio station called UtahFM until it folded. There was/is a thread around these parts on it but it's most likely buried now because there has been nothing to post about it for a while.

Anyway, I recently submitted an application to be the weekend on-air announcer for the University of Utah's public broadcasting station. I had to do an audition where I read a script over the phone to a message line for their review. I've been selected as 1 of 3 finalists and will be interviewed after Thanksgiving. The position would be from 2 - 7 pm on Saturdays.

I'm grateful and looking for any advice, tips, or good info you can give if you have any. It's been quite a long time since I have interviewed for a job. Now, while I don't need this job financially, it is a very important opportunity to me as it appears to be a great opening to continuing my career in broadcasting. An opening that will be more reputable too.

Suggestions on what to wear? I don't want to overdress, but I want to look professional...

Also, would it lessen my chances if I made it known that I work a full-time job during the week? I'm trying to schedule my interview and am wondering if I should openly tell them that I would need to schedule time off to make the interview.

Lastly, any advice/suggestions you can give as to how to answer interview questions is greatly appreciated. (again, I'm very rusty and am beginning to get nervous).

As far as what to wear, take it one notch higher than what the average person in the office is wearing. For a University Public Broadcast station, this may mean no clothes with holes and comb the food out of your beard. It's always a good idea to ask questions that show you know something about the station. Do a little research before hand.

If you're nervous, just fake the confidence, make eye contact, it should be okay to briefly pause before answering when asked a question. I've done many interviews the last few years, and they always ask about a problem that you had and what you did in response. Try to think of some of those where you were a real genius (they may not ask you those in broadcasting, though--not my field). When they ask about areas you need to improve on, identify one that's reasonable and somewhat common, and they tell them how you've been working to improve it recently.

Good luck, be yourself. Oh, a great way to score points is to write a hand written thank you note the day after the interview and send it to the person who facilitated the interview, via the old fashioned mail. Re-state your interest in the position in the thank you.
  • You can never overdress for an interview.

Since this is for a part time job, do not worry about the fact that you already have a full time job. Odds are the other 2 do as well, and if they don't - they are looking.
    Also, if anything, currently having a job will only help your cause - it shows you are dependable in somebody else's eyes as well.
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
  • Good tips here. Definitely arrive early and do some research of the company before hand. Good luck DC!!!
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    edited November 2011
    Great audition icebreaker:

In your best Ali G. voice:

Big ups to me canvas tote-bag bruvas in Utah....respeck!

Also, sit up straight and look people in the eye when you shake their hands.
    Post edited by JOEJOEJOE on
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Travelar wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Great list.
    DS1119 wrote:

Better yet, leave it in the car.

I'd like to add one more to this list. Be on time. When I say on time, I mean 10-15 minutes prior to your scheduled interview.

I will not bring my cell phone... that is just a given. and Thanks Travelar! I plan on being early.

DS, thank you for that post... VERY helpful.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    You are all great, thank you so much. All of your posts are very helpful and useful to me in my preparation.

Thanks for the tips and words of advice, keep em coming if you got them.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    Is it deemed appropriate or "acceptable" to have said notepad w/ your questions on them? I'm afraid of trying to remember all my questions because I'm sure I'll be nervous and have a scattered brain.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    Bring multiple copies of your resume with one of those note pad cover thingys. Dress professionally, wear a tie.

1) Is it necessary to bring the resume when they already have it on file? I'm assuming the answer is yes, but is this just a personal preference depending on the interviewer, or is it a common sense good practice for the interviewee?

2) I was wondering about the attire because frankly my collection of dress/business clothing is not impressive. I have three ties, black, white, and then a patterned one. My dress shirts are about the same. I have a typical blue dress shirt, a plaid one that has been labeled "young" by my girlfriend, and a black dress shirt. Looks like I might need to bite the bullet and go buy a nice outfit?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Is it deemed appropriate or "acceptable" to have said notepad w/ your questions on them? I'm afraid of trying to remember all my questions because I'm sure I'll be nervous and have a scattered brain.

pl686_notepad_portfolio.jpg

I used to carry one of these and I also kept a couple of spare resumes in it. I've never had anyone write questions down for the interview, but I would view it as a positive. I would think the applicant is organized but more importantly very interested in the position.
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Bring multiple copies of your resume with one of those note pad cover thingys. Dress professionally, wear a tie.

1) Is it necessary to bring the resume when they already have it on file? I'm assuming the answer is yes, but is this just a personal preference depending on the interviewer, or is it a common sense good practice for the interviewee?

2) I was wondering about the attire because frankly my collection of dress/business clothing is not impressive. I have three ties, black, white, and then a patterned one. My dress shirts are about the same. I have a typical blue dress shirt, a plaid one that has been labeled "young" by my girlfriend, and a black dress shirt. Looks like I might need to bite the bullet and go buy a nice outfit?

Bring a resume. The interviewer may or may not have a copy. Also for clothes...I tell you Kohl's has some very nice work clothes at very reasonable prices. If you don't live near a Kohl's check out JC Penny's Stafford brand. Good bang for the buck again.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,412
    dcfaithful wrote:

first of all, good luck my friend!!!

1--yes. bring a few copies. it's always good to be prepared & the person interviewing you might not have a copy on hand.

2. you don't have to wear a tuxedo, but you should look professional. have your shirt/pants dry cleaned & pressed. you could always wear a tie, but it's not required by law or anything. :) last time i interviewed, this is what i wore: grey dress slacks; white shirt; red tie & a black v-neck sweater (it was cold, damnit!).

good luck, Dave!

btw---i still think you should start a podcast. 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Go Beavers wrote:
    I've done many interviews the last few years, and they always ask about a problem that you had and what you did in response. Try to think of some of those where you were a real genius (they may not ask you those in broadcasting, though--not my field).

What if I really can't think of a situation like that? I am a Document Coordinator for a pharma company and one comes to mind in my current position where I made a manufacturing SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) effective at like 4:30 on a business day without going through a mandated 7-day training period. To make things right, that night I personally contacted the author, and the next morning I created a CAPA (basically a documented plan to correct the error, and how I executed it), filled out a training form and delivered the SOP for training to all employees with it in their curriculum. I later followed up and collected the training forms and turned them into the training department, included the training form showing all the affected employees had completed the training as supporting documents to my CAPA, and closed it. The SOP was then able to be used.

Certainly nothing to do with broadcasting, but is that a good example?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:

that is a good example. they don't need to know an answer that is directly field-related, but i has to have a point. there was a problem/issue and this is what you did to fix it.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Go Beavers wrote:
    I've done many interviews the last few years, and they always ask about a problem that you had and what you did in response. Try to think of some of those where you were a real genius (they may not ask you those in broadcasting, though--not my field).

What if I really can't think of a situation like that? I am a Document Coordinator for a pharma company and one comes to mind in my current position where I made a manufacturing SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) effective at like 4:30 on a business day without going through a mandated 7-day training period. To make things right, that night I personally contacted the author, and the next morning I created a CAPA (basically a documented plan to correct the error, and how I executed it), filled out a training form and delivered the SOP for training to all employees with it in their curriculum. I later followed up and collected the training forms and turned them into the training department, included the training form showing all the affected employees had completed the training as supporting documents to my CAPA, and closed it. The SOP was then able to be used.

To tell you when I have asked that question it's just to hear the person talk and see how they formulate thought. I'm in sales so I do it to hear how well the person puts their thoughts together. I really don't care if you tell me how you rearranged the food in the break room fridge. Do you have something you could use from your last broadcasting job?
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Lots of great advice ... I'd agree

Make sure you have eaten

Arrive on time

Do research

Have a few copies of your resume

Firm handshake,good eye contact

Clear answers but don't ramble,it is more comfortable to be asked to expand on an answer than be asked to stop talking

If there is water available ... pour a glass out,it stops your throat from getting dry with nerves and if you stumble on a question take a drink,it will stall for time while you think about your answer and keep you alert.

Dress well but layer light clothes,so that if you get too hot with nerves you can discreetly slip of a jacket rather than have to pull a sweater over your head

Most of all

GOOD LUCK! :D
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Lots of great advice for you here, DC.

I used to have 150 direct reports and here are the things that impressed me when I was interviewing a candidate:

1. Don't smell anything but clean. No cologne, cigarettes or garlic
    2. Don't swear
    3. Do your research and be prepared to talk not only about the university program, but the genre in general

Oh, and try not to pass gas.

I'm sure you will be juuuuuust fiiiiine.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Definitely some good advice here.
    I've interviewed quite a few people in the past.

Bring extra copies of your resume..the people interviewing you may need a copy, but they also may ask you something specific about your resume and it's good to have a copy for yourself in front of you.

Definitely send a thank you e-mail to everyone who interviews you..this leaves a nice impression, helps you stand out, and shows interest.

They will probably ask you why you're interested in the job...make sure you have an answer and make sure you have some background on the position/company. Once we interviewed a girl and asked "So what made you interested in applying for this job?" Her response "What position is this for?" :? It made for an awkward moment and showed she didn't have interest in the particular job being offered.

They will also probably ask you at the end "Do you have any questions for us?" Make sure you have some questions ready...even if they're general questions..Once again this shows that you have interest in the position.

General questions my company asks when interviewing include "Weakness/Strength", "How do you deal with a co-worker not pulling their own weight?", "Why would you be a good fit for our company?" While they may not ask these questions, I think it's always helpful to go over basic interview questions in advance. Just have a general idea of how you would approach the question...you don't have to have an exact answer ( that way it won't seem rehearsed), but if you jot some ideas down and take time to think about how you would answer, it should help your nerves during the interview.

GOOD LUCK!! :D
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Lots of great advice for you here, DC.

+1
    I was interviewing someone who did this about a year ago...I paused, she said nothing and I started laughing. Very unprofessional of me but needless to say I did not hire her.

I immediately though, in an order similar to this:

Who the fuck blows ass in an interview?
    If they have no idea they are about to blow ass how oblivious are they about other things?
    Why wouldn't she say excuse me or acknowledge in some way?
    I wonder if she is sick or something.
    This stinks, I need to wrap it up quickly.

Sorry, now we have likely just made you petrified you might shart during your interview. I am sure you can control yourself!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I would brush-up on your PBS knowledge, and maybe look-over the station's schedule so that you are familiar with the shows they air.

Maybe ask questions about the station's relationship with PBS......KCET in Los Angeles recently dropped its PBS affiliation.
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    FmeintheBrain... You're killing me! That's frigging hysterical.

DC, make sure you evacuate your bowels that morning.

Word.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    Lots of great advice for you here, DC.

+1
    I was interviewing someone who did this about a year ago...I paused, she said nothing and I started laughing. Very unprofessional of me but needless to say I did not hire her.

I immediately though, in an order similar to this:

Who the fuck blows ass in an interview?
    If they have no idea they are about to blow ass how oblivious are they about other things?
    Why wouldn't she say excuse me or acknowledge in some way?
    I wonder if she is sick or something.
    This stinks, I need to wrap it up quickly.

Sorry, now we have likely just made you petrified you might shart during your interview. I am sure you can control yourself!

:lol:
    FmeintheBrain... You're killing me! That's frigging hysterical.

DC, make sure you evacuate your bowels that morning.

Word.

best advice so far. :lol:

best of luck, Dave!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    DS1119 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Go Beavers wrote:

To tell you when I have asked that question it's just to hear the person talk and see how they formulate thought. I'm in sales so I do it to hear how well the person puts their thoughts together. I really don't care if you tell me how you rearranged the food in the break room fridge. Do you have something you could use from your last broadcasting job?

Because of my shortened stay at the station, I didn't have much of an opportunity to to hit a problem. I was a volunteer, did my show, attended community functions and such, but a challenge to overcome never reached me while I was there. I imagine had I been there longer one would have..
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,708
    Regarding how you dress- I've often heard that you should dress one step above what you would wear to work on a daily basis- maybe a little more but I think you can be over-dressed and of course you don't want to under-dress.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.