Options

Faithfull Ale...I just don't get it

Comments

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    JV130312 wrote:
    For days, no weeks, I have read posts about buying, selling, and trading for beer. $15, $20, $25 dollars a bottle? It's not wine. It doesn't get better with age. It's beer. There's no way it tastes better than a cold pint of Guinness or a bottle of Newcastle. Please enlighten me. Why are people so eager to buy/trade for it?

Actually, a lot of those $15, $20, $25 a bottle beers do get better with age and they do taste better than Guinness (which should be consumed at room temperature) and definitely better than New Castle...

celler tempature.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    81 wrote:
    JV130312 wrote:
    For days, no weeks, I have read posts about buying, selling, and trading for beer. $15, $20, $25 dollars a bottle? It's not wine. It doesn't get better with age. It's beer. There's no way it tastes better than a cold pint of Guinness or a bottle of Newcastle. Please enlighten me. Why are people so eager to buy/trade for it?

Actually, a lot of those $15, $20, $25 a bottle beers do get better with age and they do taste better than Guinness (which should be consumed at room temperature) and definitely better than New Castle...

celler tempature.
    ...which is room temperature if you're drinking in the cellar.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    edited November 2011
    JTH wrote:
    ...which is room temperature if you're drinking in the cellar.

well played. :lol:

not sure where JV is from, but i read something that said room temp over their equals our "celler" temp.
    Post edited by 81 on
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    http://www.beertravelers.com/lists/drafttech.html

interesting articl on guiness...

a guiness employee states it should be stored at 38 degree's and served at 44 degree's.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Kinda taste like pooh.

Yes, I have tasted pooh.

It's good.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options

Hmmm, then I wonder why I'm sitting on bottles of 06, 07, 08, 09, and '10 goose island bourbon county stout :)

In all seriousness I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but you can age many beers and they do improve with age just like a nice bottle of wine. Just did an 08 thru 11 dark lord vertical the other weekend and it was amazing how different each year were because of aging.

Beers higher in alcohol can withstand and benefit from aging such as strong Belgians, barleywines, imperial stouts, etc. Personally I wouldn't age the faithfull ale, but that's just me. I will however be saving one unopened bottle to put on display at my future basement bar.

Go to your local liquor store and pick up a stronger sipping beer. You will enjoy it.

Sipping on a lagunitas little sumpin wild as I write this. Cheers
  • Options
    You can age good beer and it should be stored at about 53 degrees
    98: East Rutherford
    00: Saratoga Springs
    03: Albany, Uniondale, DC, MSG I & II, Holmdel
    04: Boston I
    05: Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Pittsburgh
    06: Toronto I & II, Hartford, Chicago I, Cleveland, Boston I & II, Philly I & II, DC, Milwaukee I, Vegas
    07: Lollapalooza
    08: Philly I, DC, MSG I & II
    09: Chicago I & II, LA III & IV, Philly I, II & IV
    10: St. Louis, Columbus, Buffalo, DC, Hartford, Boston
    11: PJ20 I & II, Montreal, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Hamilton, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Sao Paulo I & II, Rio, Costa Rica, Mexico City
    12: Berlin I & II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, Philly, Pensacola
    13: Chicago, Worcester I & II, Brooklyn II, Philly I & II, Hartford, Baltimore, Charlotte, Phoenix, San Diego, LA II, Oakland, Vancouver
    14: Milan, Trieste, Cincinnati, Austin I, Memphis, St Paul, Denver, Bridge School II
    15: NYC, Bogota, Mexico City
    16: Miami, Tampa, Hampton, NYC I & II, Quebec, Toronto I, Fenway II, Wrigley II
    18: Barcelona, Madrid, Seattle I, Boston I & II
    22: Glendale, Oakland I, Sacramento, Toronto, Quebec, Hamilton, MSG, Camden, Nashville, Denver, Amsterdam I, Zurich, Vienna, Prague
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,891
    I drink beer like many people drink wine. I read reviews on beer, I buy many different types, I store it in my house and basement, and I like discussing it. And like others have said, some beer does get better with age.

DFH is my favorite brewery and I have tried all but 3 of theirs beers that are highly distributed (not just exclusive to the brewery) and having it say PJ on the label and specifically made for them is just really cool.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    JTH wrote:
    81 wrote:
    JTH wrote:
    The cruel irony is that the BG Binny's is about a 5-minute drive from my office (if I catch all green lights), but I'm working from home today because my car is in the shop.

:lol:

Pace....it'll get you there...next week.
    Heh.

Well, I managed to track some down closer to home. Fortunately, my wife was able to come along with me so we could each buy a bottle.

It was at the Lush Wine & Spirits on Chicago Avenue. They still have two bottles left (or at least they did when I was there).

Thanks for this tip, they now have one left (I should have recruited someone on the street for the second). I can also report that Binnys on Clark, Binnys Goose Island on Marcey, Whole Foods on Halsted and WF on Ashland are all sold out. Everyone got a single case. The people at Lush said their Roscoe Village store sold out the night it arrived.
  • Options
    otter523otter523 Posts: 250
    Tried it tonight and was let down. It was very generic tasting. If someone told me it was miller lite I would have believed them. More of a collectible I guess.
    09/13/98 - 08/27/00 - 08/29/00 - 08/30/00 - 04/29/03 - 07/03/03 - 07/11/03 - 09/28/04 - 09/15/05 - 05/12/06 -10/15/13 - 10/25/13 - 04/29/16 - 05/01/16 - 05/02/16 - 05/08/16 - 08/05/16 - 08/07/16 - RRHOF-04/07/17 - 09/02/18 - 09/04/18 - 09/03/22 - 09/11/22

E.V-06/08/09 - 06/09/09
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:

I cannot speak for trading, but personally I think The Search For Faithfull Ale has brought out the best of this community. I've really enjoyed it. Swapping sightings like they were intelligence reports has been great fun. For me, the hunt was best part. The beer was good, but I brought it to a buddy's to share and left him with the bottle. One more collectible I didn't really have a spot for.

I totally agree with this. The hunt made it that much more fun, and the posts in the threads and the PMs of trying to help each other out (but sometimes not say too much so that you make sure your own bottle is secured) have been great. Being a huge PJ and Dogfish fan has made this the most fun thing I have bought in a while. I love the chase of getting rare beers, add PJ to the mix and I'm totally cool with it.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options
    klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    i enjoyed a Faithfull Ale tonight and it was most tasty
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,413
    Look for anything bottle conditioned if you want to age beers. Something like a Brooklyn Chocolate will really taste different. It will get less "alchoholly" and more sweet. Mad Elf is another "holiday" beer you can grab and cellar...at this time of year...
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    81 wrote:

The coldest pint of Guinness I have ever had was at the brewery in Dublin

As for aging beer, I'd be curious to know how much better a beer tastes after some aging. And how many people in this forum actually have a palet that can tell the difference. Do we have a bunch of sommeliers in here?

If I can find a bottle, I'll but one in my wine fridge for a year or two. I just won't be trading vinyl for it

a guiness employee states it should be stored at 38 degree's and served at 44 degree's.
    1995: San Francisco, San Diego
    2000: Phoenix
    2008: Camden 2
    2009: San Diego, Philly 1, Philly 2
    2010: MSG 1, MSG 2
    2011: Alpine 1, Alpine 2
    2012: Missoula
    2013: Wrigley, Phoenix, San Diego, LA1, LA2, Oakland
    2014: Denver
    2016: MSG1, MSG2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    jimed14 wrote:
    Someone paid a grand for a back pack ...

A FREAKIN' BACKPACK!

... and you're questioning folks spending $10 over face value for a beer?

:lol:

That sums it up
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    JTH wrote:

Well, I managed to track some down closer to home. Fortunately, my wife was able to come along with me so we could each buy a bottle.

It was at the Lush Wine & Spirits on Chicago Avenue. They still have two bottles left (or at least they did when I was there).

Thanks for this tip, they now have one left (I should have recruited someone on the street for the second). I can also report that Binnys on Clark, Binnys Goose Island on Marcey, Whole Foods on Halsted and WF on Ashland are all sold out. Everyone got a single case. The people at Lush said their Roscoe Village store sold out the night it arrived.
    So was anyone here able to snag that last remaining bottle?
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,314
    Ok so how can i get a bottle of this ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    trust me there is better beer than Guinness or Newcastle. And I love Guinness and Newcastle.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    LamentLament Posts: 294
    JTH wrote:
    I called the Binny's in Buffalo Grove this morning. They said they have about a case -- 1 per customer as Mr. 81derful pointed out.

The cruel irony is that the BG Binny's is about a 5-minute drive from my office (if I catch all green lights), but I'm working from home today because my car is in the shop.

Holy Buffalo Grove! I grew up in that shit hole. My Pearl Jam collection started off at Paradise Records way back when...
  • Options
    vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    81 wrote:

Hop(e)fully Farenheit :D
  • Options
    vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    JTH wrote:
    They could probably slap PJ labels on bottles of dog piss and sell them for $20 each.
    Can't get Faithfull Ale in Australia... Make your own here! :)

http://www.brewtopia.com.au/custom-beverage-products/product-custom-beer
  • Options
    OGT92OGT92 Posts: 1,588
    Is there a pic of the bottle anywhere? I haven't even seen it.
    "I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave up reading." - Henry Youngman
  • Options
    OGT92 wrote:
    Is there a pic of the bottle anywhere? I haven't even seen it.
    My case :D
    6350889452_857bc859ed.jpg

Close up of label:
    6379611573_9d2cb9a9df.jpg
  • Options
    I'm still slightly disappointed with the label honestly. Not that Dogfish ever has any really nice labels or anything but how cool would it have been to have Ames Bros, Soto, or Klausen do the label? That would have been kick ass in my opinion. But, I also understand why they went the direction that they did.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Who's says anyone is going to actually drink any of it? My guess is that every bottle of it is going to remain capped... just as the majority of Pearl Jam vinyl records, sold from this date forward, are going to remain sealed.
    For all we know... they can fill the bottles with donkey piss and the album covers with unsold copies of 'Color Me Badd' records.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Who's says anyone is going to actually drink any of it? My guess is that every bottle of it is going to remain capped... just as the majority of Pearl Jam vinyl records, sold from this date forward, are going to remain sealed.
    For all we know... they can fill the bottles with donkey piss and the album covers with unsold copies of 'Color Me Badd' records.

Lol yep. Never opening mine. I'm an alcoholic... so when my wife saw that i'd bought one, she's like "Did you buy beer??????" Had fun explaining that one.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    Ok so how can i get a bottle of this ...

We can't get it here in MO, so i bought one on ebay. It's your best option. Cost me $29 + $15 shipping. $44 total, i can handle that.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Not that Dogfish ever has any really nice labels or anything

Completely disagree... the Marq Spusta designed labels kick ass ...

Robert Johnson inspired Hell Hound Ale ...

dog-fish-hellhound.jpg

Theobroma ...

dfh-theobroma.jpg

Then there is the brew goddess seasonal print series he did ...

9972:156658.jpg9972:159175.jpg9972:165291.jpg9972:168560.jpg
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    OGT92OGT92 Posts: 1,588
    Thanks RM02. I think it looks pretty sweet. I mean what do you want, Picasso?
    "I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave up reading." - Henry Youngman
  • Options
    Here are some pics I've found of the actual beer (out of the bottle).

faithfull.jpg

1320613570466.jpg

imag0786.jpg?w=268&h=450