Options

Faithfull Ale...I just don't get it

Comments

• Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    Tonight, I'm cranking Toronto and finishing off bottle #2.
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • Options
    I buy it because I want it. As far as 'high end' beers, during the winter I prefer ice cold Michelob, during the summer ice cold Sol, beer snob I am not.
  • Options
    For days, no weeks, I have read posts about buying, selling, and trading for beer. $15, $20, $25 dollars a bottle? It's not wine. It doesn't get better with age. It's beer. There's no way it tastes better than a cold pint of Guinness or a bottle of Newcastle. Please enlighten me. Why are people so eager to buy/trade for it?

Quite simply, because of the label that is on it....it's a beer, you are not drinking the blood of Eddie Vedder
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Options
    hitmanhitman Posts: 469
    I have a bottle or three of Surly Darkness to trade for a PJ Faithfull Ale. Don't know what it is? Move along.
  • Options
    For days, no weeks, I have read posts about buying, selling, and trading for beer. $15, $20, $25 dollars a bottle? It's not wine. It doesn't get better with age. It's beer. There's no way it tastes better than a cold pint of Guinness or a bottle of Newcastle. Please enlighten me. Why are people so eager to buy/trade for it?

Dogfish beer is in another galaxy compared to Guiness and New Castle. It's like saying Pearl Jam and Bon Jovi are the same thing. And like others have said, there are many beers that are actually meant for aging. The good news is now you know a little more after making this mis-informed post.
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • Options
    PJRock75PJRock75 Posts: 868
    New Castle is my favorite beer with the exception of Samuel Adams Octoberfest....ahh, if they only made it all year round.
    "If you want a friend, feed any animal." - JA
    "Don't let it get you down, you know, still give your love, just give it away...I love singin' that part." - EV
  • Options
    mcthudmcthud Posts: 366
    Jerome230 wrote:
    It doesn't get better with age. It's beer.

That clearly goes to show how little you know about beer. There are many beers that are cellar-kept for months, even years, to age. I'm not talking about a Pabst or a Guinness. There's an art to it.

I have a Delirium Nöel beer that I bought last Christmas that I'm planning to enjoy this Christmas. I've done this for the past 5 years now. It's good right when you buy it, of course, but if you wait a year, it's like drinking stars.

At any rate, I would love to buy a Faithfull Ale from someone - but they don't sell Dogfish in Idaho.

This.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    81 wrote:

which you could flip for more profit. :lol:

where you able to get any yesterday? i'm assuming it's all sold out today.

I didn't even know there was any available around Chicago....where was it at???
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,936
    When Pearl Jam inspired vodka come along I will be buying it by the case.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    hitman wrote:
    I have a bottle or three of Surly Darkness to trade for a PJ Faithfull Ale. Don't know what it is? Move along.

This would be a great trade!! Wish I had one, much less an extra. I have a bottle of Surly 5 that I'm sitting on for a rainy day.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options

Dogfish beer is in another galaxy compared to Guiness and New Castle. It's like saying Pearl Jam and Bon Jovi are the same thing. And like others have said, there are many beers that are actually meant for aging. The good news is now you know a little more after making this mis-informed post.

I'm pretty sure I said, "please enlighten me." How can it be a mis-informed post if I asked why people are so eager to buy it. My point is its beer. People cannot say they are buying this to age it so it will taste better. I just find it amusing that people are trading vinyl, something that can be enjoyed for years, for a bottle of beer that you will relieve yourself of in an hour.
    1995: San Francisco, San Diego
    2000: Phoenix
    2008: Camden 2
    2009: San Diego, Philly 1, Philly 2
    2010: MSG 1, MSG 2
    2011: Alpine 1, Alpine 2
    2012: Missoula
    2013: Wrigley, Phoenix, San Diego, LA1, LA2, Oakland
    2014: Denver
    2016: MSG1, MSG2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:

Binny, whole foods and a few other places i havent heard of. Binys was a limit of one per person..i snagged one in schaumburg at lunch, went back at 5 and it was all sold out
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    JimmyV wrote:

how about "Don't Gimme No Lip" rum. I would try that.
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:

A PJ Tequila would be nice to make rocking margaritas :D
  • Options

I cannot speak for trading, but personally I think The Search For Faithfull Ale has brought out the best of this community. I've really enjoyed it. Swapping sightings like they were intelligence reports has been great fun. For me, the hunt was best part. The beer was good, but I brought it to a buddy's to share and left him with the bottle. One more collectible I didn't really have a spot for.

• Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,514
    JimmyV wrote:

I cannot speak for trading, but personally I think The Search For Faithfull Ale has brought out the best of this community. I've really enjoyed it. Swapping sightings like they were intelligence reports has been great fun. For me, the hunt was best part. The beer was good, but I brought it to a buddy's to share and left him with the bottle. One more collectible I didn't really have a spot for.

If PJ plays Comcast in 12, Emmas would be smaaht to get it on tap.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    mcthud wrote:
    Jerome230 wrote:
    It doesn't get better with age. It's beer.

That clearly goes to show how little you know about beer. There are many beers that are cellar-kept for months, even years, to age. I'm not talking about a Pabst or a Guinness. There's an art to it.

I have a Delirium Nöel beer that I bought last Christmas that I'm planning to enjoy this Christmas. I've done this for the past 5 years now. It's good right when you buy it, of course, but if you wait a year, it's like drinking stars.

At any rate, I would love to buy a Faithfull Ale from someone - but they don't sell Dogfish in Idaho.

This.

I've heard of beer you can cellar, but doesn't it have to have a cork? How would you cellar the Faithfull Ale?

PS I don't know about OP, but I personally know NOTHING about beer :mrgreen:
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Binny, whole foods and a few other places i havent heard of. Binys was a limit of one per person..i snagged one in schaumburg at lunch, went back at 5 and it was all sold out

I talked to the owner of a great local independent shop who happened to be on the Fish Finder site showing they had Faithful. He called his contact at Glunz (the only distributor for DFH locally) and they said only Whole Foods and Binny's would have it, nobody else is even getting a shot. He said you pretty much need to get lucky at Binnys, and if you don't see it at Whole Foods to ask if the beer buyer is in, as they may keep it off the shelf.
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:

If PJ plays Comcast in 12, Emmas would be smaaht to get it on tap.

Wicked smaaht even. :lol:

• Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    I called the Binny's in Buffalo Grove this morning. They said they have about a case -- 1 per customer as Mr. 81derful pointed out.

The cruel irony is that the BG Binny's is about a 5-minute drive from my office (if I catch all green lights), but I'm working from home today because my car is in the shop.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,849
    it's pearl jam and it's BEER
  • Options
    81 wrote:

I drive by a Binnys on the way home from work and theres a whole foods a couple blocks from my place...I'll have to check them out...
  • Options
    JTH wrote:
    I called the Binny's in Buffalo Grove this morning. They said they have about a case -- 1 per customer as Mr. 81derful pointed out.

The cruel irony is that the BG Binny's is about a 5-minute drive from my office (if I catch all green lights), but I'm working from home today because my car is in the shop.

Not too far from my office either....I wish I would have known this before lunch!
  • Options
    JTH wrote:
    They could probably slap PJ labels on bottles of dog piss and sell them for $20 each.

Indeed.

PJ20 "limited edition" starts at $50.
    Dog piss ala Mike's dog starts at $100. $500 for Eddie's dog's piss.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    JTH wrote:
    They could probably slap PJ labels on bottles of dog piss and sell them for $20 each.

Indeed.

PJ20 "limited edition" starts at $50.
    Dog piss ala Mike's dog starts at $100. $500 for Eddie's dog's piss.

For those looking for a bargain, dog piss ala JimmyV's dog starts at just $5.

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    JTH wrote:

:lol:

Pace....it'll get you there...next week.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Duncs wrote:
    Have you seen the label?? It says Pearl Jam on it. People (myself included) are crazy for stuff that says that name.
    Clutch has just put a beer too!

clutchbeer.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    JTH wrote:

:lol:

Pace....it'll get you there...next week.
    Heh.

Well, I managed to track some down closer to home. Fortunately, my wife was able to come along with me so we could each buy a bottle.

It was at the Lush Wine & Spirits on Chicago Avenue. They still have two bottles left (or at least they did when I was there).
  • Options
    JTH wrote:

Not too far from my office either....I wish I would have known this before lunch!
    So we're neighbors of sorts. Sorry I didn't post that info earlier on.

I was talking to someone at one of the Whole Foods and apparently they've received the beer but they can't start selling it until tomorrow or Monday because of their inventory process or something. (I wasn't really paying attention to the details.) I don't know if this is true of all their locations or just this specific one.
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,413

Actually, a lot of those $15, $20, $25 a bottle beers do get better with age and they do taste better than Guinness (which should be consumed at room temperature) and definitely better than New Castle...
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.