DESTINATION WEDDING

Comments

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    maj4e wrote:
    I got married in Vegas. Just the 2 of us.
    The only way I could do it with a straight face.
    I was forced into attending a destination wedding (wife's sister) and it caused a huge fight.
    It comes across as pretentious and shallow to invite people to travel on their dime to come see you.

Obviously no offense to you since we don't know one another it's just a perspective.

oh its fine..all they have to do is say can't make it ....i understand it totally

but i have to at least invite people

But are you sure all the groomsmen and bridesmaids and parents will be willing and able to travel? They can't say no.

no we are not sure...we would think alot wouldnn't ,but again we need to be happy above all else
    i can't have a traditional wedding just to make everyone happy...but us
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • no we are not sure...we would think alot wouldnn't ,but again we need to be happy above all else
    This is why I think destination weddings are a ridiculous indulgence.

It seems to be so common now to say that the wedding is "all about us." If it's for you and nobody else, why even have guests? I thought the point of inviting other people is because you care enough about them that you want to share your happy day with them.

If you don't care about anybody but the two of you, that's your gig. Go have a civil ceremony and take yourselves a nice trip. If it upsets some of your family, well, you know the saying about how it's better to apologize than ask permission.

When people talk about their grandiose wedding plans, it blows my mind. It's ONE day of your life. ONE day.

I've been married 33 years. My wedding day is barely a blip on the radar of ancient history.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    no we are not sure...we would think alot wouldnn't ,but again we need to be happy above all else
    This is why I think destination weddings are a ridiculous indulgence.

It seems to be so common now to say that the wedding is "all about us." If it's for you and nobody else, why even have guests? I thought the point of inviting other people is because you care enough about them that you want to share your happy day with them.

If you don't care about anybody but the two of you, that's your gig. Go have a civil ceremony and take yourselves a nice trip. If it upsets some of your family, well, you know the saying about how it's better to apologize than ask permission.

When people talk about their grandiose wedding plans, it blows my mind. It's ONE day of your life. ONE day.

I've been married 33 years. My wedding day is barely a blip on the radar of ancient history.

well i would love to have all the family on the island...but i realize its highly unlikely that everyone can aforrd the time/money

again my big problem is having a $50,000 wedding that last 6 hours....i just don't get that? such a waste ..not to mention all the headaches with planning it
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    i didn't even pick up the ring yet and my head is already spinning :lol:
  • anyone ever do it ?

advice ?

leaning towards going this route

Wow....after all these years

Sucker !!!

:lol:
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    anyone ever do it ?

advice ?

leaning towards going this route

Wow....after all these years

Sucker !!!

:lol:

:lol::lol:

i know its been a long time ...... but...the time has come :cry::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • again my big problem is having a $50,000 wedding that last 6 hours....i just don't get that? such a waste ..not to mention all the headaches with planning it
    Well, that was kind of my point. Weddings just seem to get bigger and bigger. I agree that it's a waste to spend money like that on a big event unless it just really seems to matter to somebody. But it's always pissed me off to waste money. :lol:

I think almost anyone will tell you after the fact that the things that you put a lot of money and effort into will seem silly afterwards. After the first few months, very few people look at their wedding photos again. I've looked at mine about half a dozen times and only because other people asked to see them. And trust me, NOBODY wants to watch the video of your wedding. :yawn: :lol:
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Rule #1- what does the bride want? Like REALLY want?

I got married in Vegas, on Mr RK's insistence. :|

About 20 people showed up, and the hotel doesn't give a flying fuck if you're happy or not. I ended up having to ask for half the stuff that was supposed to be in the 'package', they lost the photo order, the cake looked like a 5 year old finger painted it. The reception room lost some of my wedding gifts and other things, like my guest book. The limo service was 'booked up for the night', so we had to put up a stink to get it. (yeah, it was 'part of the package') it was a huge waste of money, time and effort.

If it was up to me, I would have rather went to Sandals, got married on the beach, and thrown a huge dinner party when we got back. A wedding is for the 2 of you, not the family.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875

lets be honest

by "WE" you mean "SHE"

;)
  • no we are not sure...we would think alot wouldnn't ,but again we need to be happy above all else

lets be honest

by "WE" you mean "SHE"

;)
    Hey, ya never know!
    My prince was the one who wanted the formal church wedding to please his traditional parents. :wtf:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Rule #1- what does the bride want? Like REALLY want?

I got married in Vegas, on Mr RK's insistence. :|

About 20 people showed up, and the hotel doesn't give a flying fuck if you're happy or not. I ended up having to ask for half the stuff that was supposed to be in the 'package', they lost the photo order, the cake looked like a 5 year old finger painted it. The reception room lost some of my wedding gifts and other things, like my guest book. The limo service was 'booked up for the night', so we had to put up a stink to get it. (yeah, it was 'part of the package') it was a huge waste of money, time and effort.

If it was up to me, I would have rather went to Sandals, got married on the beach, and thrown a huge dinner party when we got back. A wedding is for the 2 of you, not the family.

vegas seems to rushed ....i would never do it there

gotta go to a place in the tropics that specializes in this

my bro did a great one in hawaii and a friend had a great one in the turks ...granted i didn't go to either,but they said everything was awesome
  • First of all, congrats!

Secondly... when your mind is spinning out of control and there is drama and craziness about a shade of blue, where to register, 'thats not the exact orchid I wanted', 'why the fuck is your brother hitting on me?', 'why is your uncle passed out in the bushes?', 'why are you refusing to wear the square-toed shoes when they clearly look better than the rounded?', 'I don't give a fuck if your tie is cutting off your circulation', 'I hate your mother!!!'.......

just remember the main reason you are getting married. You love eachother and want to spend the rest of your lives together... Nothing else matters, right? Its very hard to keep that in focus while planning.

lets be honest

by "WE" you mean "SHE"

;)

nooooo its gonna be a total group decision....honestly it is 8-)
    First of all, congrats!

Secondly... when your mind is spinning out of control and there is drama and craziness about a shade of blue, where to register, 'thats not the exact orchid I wanted', 'why the fuck is your brother hitting on me?', 'why is your uncle passed out in the bushes?', 'why are you refusing to wear the square-toed shoes when they clearly look better than the rounded?', 'I don't give a fuck if your tie is cutting off your circulation', 'I hate your mother!!!'.......

just remember the main reason you are getting married. You love eachother and want to spend the rest of your lives together... Nothing else matters, right? Its very hard to keep that in focus while planning.

thats why i want to pick an island ..call a hotel...set a price...and show up :)
  • One of my best friends got married years ago in Belize. It was about 4 months after my college graduation so I wasn't able to afford it but had no hard feelings for them about missing it. They had a decent sized reception back home a few weeks later for friends and family with snacks and all the photos, and it was pretty classy and seemed to appease those of us who were too broke or busy to go. They loved it by the way, and everyone in the wedding party that went said it was beautiful and they thought it was a wonderful idea to get married there.

If/when I get married, I'd like to do a destination type event.
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453

again my big problem is having a $50,000 wedding that last 6 hours....i just don't get that? such a waste ..not to mention all the headaches with planning it

We were going to get married in Italy(where we got engaged), but decided against the destination wedding because of family members being there.

Ours ended up being around $12,000 since we wanted to save money. That was for a little over 100 people. You don't have to spend $50,000. My wife and I both think that's absurd.

Good luck in whatever you do! :D
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i'm with 81, pillowpants and who princess

besides not really understanding big weddings, i've never understood worrying about your guests...it's your fucking wedding...if you want to have it on an oil platform in the north sea and that pisses your guest off...fuck em! that's what you and your bride want to do
    crazypjfan wrote:

We were going to get married in Italy(where we got engaged), but decided against the destination wedding because of family members being there.

Ours ended up being around $12,000 since we wanted to save money. That was for a little over 100 people. You don't have to spend $50,000. My wife and I both think that's absurd.

Good luck in whatever you do! :D

but i could never have 100 people....her family is 60 strong by themselves
    so if i keep it in ny i am looking at 200 people easy

can someone say hula skirts
    norm wrote:
    i'm with 81, pillowpants and who princess

besides not really understanding big weddings, i've never understood worrying about your guests...it's your fucking wedding...if you want to have it on an oil platform in the north sea and that pisses your guest off...fuck em! that's what you and your bride want to do

i don't get the big wedding neither...unless you are rich i don't get saving up for 2 years to blow it on one night

plus half the night are wasted taking pictures

you're basically paying for all your guests to have a good time....crazy
    they do have weddings on a boat around manhattan...i might have to look into that

have immediate family to an island in the tropics then at some point after have a big party for all your family and friends because, yeah, that's really all a wedding is
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,242
    Hey i'll be in Hawaii in Feb for 10days maybe we can have your bachelor party there also :lol::lol: i'm sure they have some good strip bars ;) ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    norm wrote:

have immediate family to an island in the tropics then at some point after have a big party for all your family and friends because, yeah, that's really all a wedding is

Norm, I hope you're not going to argue with me about the little bride and groom that will be on top of the cake at our wedding.

I want the zombie version, and that's that.

And Neily, I hope you won't be expecting formal dress. I hate packing ballgowns.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,242
    Your families are gonna hate you for this just be ready for that :lol::lol:
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....

Yeah, with that many people on her side alone, you are looking at 17 hours worth of pictures to please everyone :lol:
    norm wrote:

Norm, I hope you're not going to argue with me about the little bride and groom that will be on top of the cake at our wedding.

I want the zombie version, and that's that.

And Neily, I hope you won't be expecting formal dress. I hate packing ballgowns.

if i were to ever get married :lol::lol::lol: sorry even typing that out makes me laugh, i'd make a point to my bride that the only thing i want to know is date, time, place and what to wear...which at that point i would no longer be getting married :D

so, yeah, go nuts with the zombie stuff...i most likely will never see it :lol:
  • crazypjfan wrote:

Yeah, with that many people on her side alone, you are looking at 17 hours worth of pictures to please everyone :lol:
    Which, I promise you, you are never going to look at after your first anniversary!

We went to a wedding in September where we barely saw the couple. They hired 3 photographers and spent all the time posing for pics. We had to interrupt one of their photo shoots so we could tell them goodbye.
    They hired 3 photographers and spent all the time posing for pics. We had to interrupt one of their photo shoots so we could tell them goodbye.

That is waaaay overboard.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013

yep...I picked a date, and insisted on it (because that was basically the only input I had)
    it happened to land on Easter Sunday
    since I am not religious, I didn't care
    one of my sister in laws refused to show up because it was 'sacrilegious'

eh, whatever.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless

my side def not...one of my older brother's did it about 4 years ago
    so my family has been through this situation before....and the conclusion was/is do whatever the fuck makes u happy :D

now her family could be dicey.....but again we have to do what's right by us (and personally... considering its my money...excuse me our money :lol: ...i really don't care what they think