DESTINATION WEDDING

neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
edited November 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
anyone ever do it ?

advice ?

leaning towards going this route
i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    anyone ever do it ?

advice ?

Wait a second here _ WHAT?!?!?!?
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    anyone ever do it ?

advice ?

yea ...the ring is coming soon ,,,,,
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    anyone ever do it ?

advice ?

:shock: just :shock:

I can recommend a lovely hotel in Delavan, Wisconsin. It's a Comfort Inn Suites with a waffle maker in the lobby, and the nearby Piggly Wiggly has an excellent t-shirt selection.

Or, have you considered renting a farm along Highway 85 outside of Atlanta?
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    I've done it. We made it a point to have it somewhere our family members could drive to, though. I think it's a bit much to ask people to travel very far for the wedding.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    elope
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg

:shock: just :shock:

I can recommend a lovely hotel in Delavan, Wisconsin. It's a Comfort Inn Suites with a waffle maker in the lobby, and the nearby Piggly Wiggly has an excellent t-shirt selection.

Or, have you considered renting a farm along Highway 85 outside of Atlanta?

no farms here

it will be on a tropical island somewhere

hawaii or turks maybe ..... need other islands
    know1 wrote:
    I've done it. We made it a point to have it somewhere our family members could drive to, though. I think it's a bit much to ask people to travel very far for the wedding.

i understand your point..but thats not happening

i understand alot won't be able to fly but we need to make ourselves happy before anything else

i will not be offended when all the no thanks replies come
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    i couldn't agree more with the elope advice

a wedding is a waste of money and an unbelievable source of stress

but... if you two TRULY are doing whatever you want... then the destination wedding is perfect...

hawaii seems a bit far to ask people from NYC to fly to... i'd stick to the carribbean

are you sure she's on board? if not... then just give up now and let her do whatever she wants

congrats

you've just made your first terrible decision

the next one will be to have kids

hahaha... good luck! ;)
    as for islands

i love the food, music and vibe of jamaica

st john is scenic and laid back ... you could rent a house

st thomas can be crowded and too US like...

captiva is an island off of florida... i really like it there
  • maj4emaj4e Posts: 605
    I got married in Vegas. Just the 2 of us.
    The only way I could do it with a straight face.
    I was forced into attending a destination wedding (wife's sister) and it caused a huge fight.
    It comes across as pretentious and shallow to invite people to travel on their dime to come see you.

Obviously no offense to you since we don't know one another it's just a perspective.
  • I've been to a couple of destination weddings and they were both a blast! I'm really starting to wish we would have done a destination wedding....this whole wedding planning thing is driving me nuts.
    i think these last 2 posts sum up the reactions you will get neily

i'm guessing maj4e is older and/or with kids. doesn't want to waste their vacation time or money on someone else's wedding... so therefore thinks it's a shitty idea

indifference71 is probably single or without kids... loves to travel and would go to your wedding just for the vacation and open bar

so... how many people are on your list?

how many are poor?

how many are single and fun?

how many suck?

how many are hot broads who will get hammered and need me to walk them back to their room?

wait... what do you mean i'm not invited????????
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,796
    This Is probably the route I'll take if I ever become sick enough to get married ;)

Make it about the people closest to you, I'm not a fan of inviting people you've hung out once or twice in life to something important to you
  • i

indifference71 is probably single or without kids... loves to travel and would go to your wedding just for the vacation and open bar

You are good! Soon to be married w/ no kids.
    i couldn't agree more with the elope advice

a wedding is a waste of money and an unbelievable source of stress

but... if you two TRULY are doing whatever you want... then the destination wedding is perfect...

hawaii seems a bit far to ask people from NYC to fly to... i'd stick to the carribbean

are you sure she's on board? if not... then just give up now and let her do whatever she wants

congrats

you've just made your first terrible decision

the next one will be to have kids

hahaha... good luck! ;)

one day she is ,the next day she is not ( thus it begins :lol: )

as of yesterday she was

i to think a wedding is the biggest waste of money .... 30 ,40 50, thousand for a few hours???? fuck that
    maj4e wrote:
    I was forced into attending a destination wedding (wife's sister) and it caused a huge fight.
    It comes across as pretentious and shallow to invite people to travel on their dime to come see you.

Obviously no offense to you since we don't know one another it's just a perspective.

oh its fine..all they have to do is say can't make it ....i understand it totally

but i have to at least invite people
    I've been to a couple of destination weddings and they were both a blast! I'm really starting to wish we would have done a destination wedding....this whole wedding planning thing is driving me nuts.

i have zero interset in planning one

the hotel will do it all for you...so much better...plus you're on a beach...nuff said
    one minor problem is her family is huge while my family is small :? :D
  • I've been to a couple of destination weddings and they were both a blast! I'm really starting to wish we would have done a destination wedding....this whole wedding planning thing is driving me nuts.

i have zero interset in planning one

the hotel will do it all for you...so much better...plus you're on a beach...nuff said

Yep...I really blew it with this one. If I have to look at another photographers website, I just might fucking lose it! Good luck to you...I hope you make the right decision.
  • what about city hall and a small reception? My parents just went to a wedding that had a reception in a decent-sized apartment in Queens, I bet that saved a ton of money.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Ciprani's :D

as of yesterday she was

i to think a wedding is the biggest waste of money .... 30 ,40 50, thousand for a few hours???? fuck that

oh fuck that... this thread should be locked now ;) bridezilla in the house ;)

don't even waste your time

you need to focus on the bachelor party and the honeymoon

the rest of it just pretend you're interested and involved and contributing... but don't
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,150
    maj4e wrote:

oh its fine..all they have to do is say can't make it ....i understand it totally

but i have to at least invite people

But are you sure all the groomsmen and bridesmaids and parents will be willing and able to travel? They can't say no.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    congratulations. although you may think a destination wedding is great, unless you have an unbelievable over the top experience for your guests it is a big pain for most and expensive. went to one that was a hard 2and a half hour drive to a farm and it was a terrible inconvenience for most people, especially anyone elderly. either elope,or have the wedding in a nice place that is good for your guests and then go on a great trip yourselves.
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    But are you sure all the groomsmen and bridesmaids and parents will be willing and able to travel? They can't say no.

excellent point

those clowns are usually the source of all the drama

or some bitch entitled aunt who doesn't want to spend her money on the carribbean when she has a big trip to atlantic city planned along with the other cancer ridden blue hairs ;)
  • [

the rest of it just pretend you're interested and involved and contributing... but don't

Bachelor party and honeymoon have been my focus. I picked out the DJ and that's about it from me....I have become a yes man and just agree w/ everything...
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    We'd been together nearly 9 years when we got married.

Just did a local registry office, just the two of us, booked on the Wednesday, married on the Friday. It's the only way hubby would have done it.

I would say with a big family involved why don't you get married on an island or whatever with just the two of you, then have a big party for all the family when you get back. Otherwise the costs will rocket.

Difficult to say really without knowing what your other half wants.
    what about city hall and a small reception? My parents just went to a wedding that had a reception in a decent-sized apartment in Queens, I bet that saved a ton of money.

that def. saved a ton of money,but if i have it in ny it could never be small based on the amount of friends and familt that would have to be invited
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Went to a wedding in Sedona, AZ this year. It was awesome. There was about 25 guests (all from CT) and my friends kept the invite list to really close friends and immediate family.

They had a larger reception with the rest of the family and friends about a month later.

as of yesterday she was

oh fuck that... this thread should be locked now ;) bridezilla in the house ;)

don't even waste your time

that's why i want a destination wedding ...i'am already on the honeymoon 8-)

i would rather be on a tropical island for 2 weeks rather than a one night wedding and then a honeymoon .....plus it will be half the cost